Aston Villa 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

Ralph always sets his team up not to concede a goal and we just know the other team will get one eventually.

It then leaves him putting on more attacking players leaving gaps at the back.

Why can’t he start with an attacking team so we can take a lead and put the pressure on them to attack us so we can hit them on the break ourselves.

• Like 8

Season has be utter shit except for vs Leeds and Chelsea. The rest has been anemic and incredibly frustrating to watch.

I'm not really looking forward to games because we just seem so clueless and bereft of ideas. Then we concede ans a team that was there for the taking gets a nice easy 3pts and a confidence boost,

Absolutely dire half of Premier League football.

Nobody can sit there and tell others we are solid at the back. No one can with a straight face say Bazunu is better than McCarthy.

How the feck does Mo start every game.  Absolute waste of a shirt.  It is line ups and the continued leaky defence that will keep the pressure on Ralph.

awful

Probably one of the worst football matches for some time, two inept sides. We are just a tad more inept sadly.

Attacking wise, hopeless. Adams isolated, Armstrong, Elyounoussi light weight nothing players. Moussa swapping sides with no real purpose.

Midfield lightweight as they get. Back 4 solid enough, but in an attacking sense we are utterly hopeless as was expected really. Not sure how many chances Elyounoussi needs to get before he's consigned to the charity shop.

The first half of this season is pretty much hanging on Edozie being a superstar. Need to see him at HT as well as Aribo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Maybe wait until the end of the game before coming to such a conclusion? #callmeoldfashioned 

Err, so you agree we’ve been better than utter dross all across the team in the first half? Really? I’m hoping of course that somehow Ralph manufactures a silk purse out of a sows ear at half-time…it may happen and if it does I’ll be the first to congratulate him for a stunning display of tactical genius. See you at full-time.😏😉

Dire. No quality. No intensity. No hope.

The Ward-Prowse/Diallo axis continue their record of being overrun and overpowered EVERY SINGLE TIME they play as a partnership. Usual vanishing act from Elyounoussi.

This "upgrade on McCarthy" is nothing remotely special, either. Don't get the hype. His distribution is crap as well 

Aston Villa are absolutely shite. And comfortable against our rabble.

Another toothless defeat on the cards. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Very poor.

I had to double check that Diallo was playing, I genuinely don't recall him doing anything in that half. Elyounoussi has been awful, but at least I knew he was on the pitch.

Big changes needed for the second half. There's nothing up front, Che needs someone to pass to him.

I didn’t see the golden boy do much either.

• Like 1

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I just don't get it. We have had a few weeks rest to prepare. Villa are far from a good side yet we play like shite. 

Summary - villa look shite and we look double shite. Disappointing.

Let's be fair - no one read our lineup and thought to themselves "it's going to be a free flowing attacking performance tonight"

Djenepo has looked OK but the rest haven't been great. KWP, ABK and Armstrong have had moments but we look disjointed. We have the mercurial talents of Mara and Edozie on the bench as well as Aribo so we're not out of it yet but this is a Villa side we should at least be getting a point from. 

...mind you I said that about the Wolves game.

Just now, jimmysaint7 said:

I'm not sure I understand why he's onside?!! 

Once Salisu plays the ball with a ‘deliberate movement’ he’s back onside. If the ball came back off the crossbar straight to the striker, he’s offside. It’s a dopey law, there’s been far worse occasions than that where a goal has been given. But, by the laws, it’s correct.

So Bailey off when the cross came in but is that really another phase of play when it came off the bar? 

Summarizer on fubo says clear red for that foul on Perraud.

But it's our own fault, sleeping at the back to give them the corner before their goal and a forward line that sweats less than the King's brother...

• Lighthouse changed the title to Aston Villa 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic