The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

3 minutes ago, saint in Den Haag said:

still feeling underwhelmed, but if it is going to be Jones then wanting to understand as much as possible about his approach to management / tactics etc and came across this interview after he had been sacked by Stoke

this is a a very long interview (almost 2 hours) but is very insightful. For anyone wanting to listen, here is brief summary

- the first 50min is mainly about his early playing career, going to Spain, getting into coaching

- 50-55min he talks about his management style - very much on the grass coaching, he wants to be hands on and coach players but how he has learnt that he can't do everything 

- 1hr - 1.08 - talks about going for jobs and whether its the right or the wrong time. mentions a bit about how he prepares for an interview

- 1.09  - being at luton 1st time round. wanting to set a philosophy and changing the culture.

- 1.23 - leaving Luton regrets how he led them. stoke happened very quickly and he did not have time to go back to the club and thank everyone (maybe parallels here!)

- 1.26 - the Stoke experience. accepts it was right to be sacked as results were not where they should have been. feels he was unlucky in certain games. says he has learnt a lot. apparently wrote a journal after being sacked documenting what went wrong and what he has learnt. accepts that the one thing he should have done was to change approach on the field to just get results and then try and change the culture, philosophy slowly afterwards.

- 1.42 - he immerses himself fully into the club. if we have been interested in him for a while and this was always a possibility then i bet he has been partly following Saints , watching matches and knows everything that we know and hopefully has a view already on what needs to change (on the pitch at least)

overall he comes across well - he definitely believes in himself and what he is trying to implement at clubs and has passion for the role. still a massive risk though in my eyes and not 100% convinced, but neither am I completely against the idea.

Thanks for that debrief much appreciated 

Well. This is fucking depressing. Fresh opportunity arose this morning, optimism and hope. This afternoon I feel completely underwhelmed and am already getting laughs from ates who support other clubs. 

I'm all for giving people a chance so hopefully he proves the huge majority very wrong and does a decent job. I'm not holding my breath though. 

Hopefully he's a diamond everyone else has missed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Good luck to him.

Looking forward to seeing how he tries to turn things around. New managerial appointments are always big moments in a clubs history and I hope this is a successful one.

I find some of the posts on here and other places online very strange. Surely the first thing to do is wish the bloke good luck rather than slag him off for not being someone else.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

What's this about Nathan Jones being a young manager. He is 49 and just 2 years younger than Ralph was when appointed.

With him in charge we will at least win the "most tattooed manager" competition. As a devout Christian at least we will have God on our side.

Can he play up front??

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Good luck to him.

Looking forward to seeing how he tries to turn things around. New managerial appointments are always big moments in a clubs history and I hope this is a successful one.

I find some of the posts on here and other places online very strange. Surely the first thing to do is wish the bloke good luck rather than slag him off for not being someone else.

Yep that’s how it should be imho.

39 minutes ago, Greedyfly said:

This is the Carillo equivalent of a managerial signing. Cheap championship striker in Adams, didn't work. Cheap championship striker in Che, didn't work. Cheap championship manager, won't work. Villa got Emery. Laughable. 

You do realise that Villa have a much, much bigger appeal than us. Also pretty sure that Che's goals in previous seasons, while not big numbers, have helped keep us in the PL. Apart from that you may have a point

41 minutes ago, saint in Den Haag said:

still feeling underwhelmed, but if it is going to be Jones then wanting to understand as much as possible about his approach to management / tactics etc and came across this interview after he had been sacked by Stoke

this is a a very long interview (almost 2 hours) but is very insightful. For anyone wanting to listen, here is brief summary

- the first 50min is mainly about his early playing career, going to Spain, getting into coaching

- 50-55min he talks about his management style - very much on the grass coaching, he wants to be hands on and coach players but how he has learnt that he can't do everything 

- 1hr - 1.08 - talks about going for jobs and whether its the right or the wrong time. mentions a bit about how he prepares for an interview

- 1.09  - being at luton 1st time round. wanting to set a philosophy and changing the culture.

- 1.23 - leaving Luton regrets how he left them. stoke happened very quickly and he did not have time to go back to the club and thank everyone (maybe parallels here!)

- 1.26 - the Stoke experience. accepts it was right to be sacked as results were not where they should have been. feels he was unlucky in certain games. says he has learnt a lot. apparently wrote a journal after being sacked documenting what went wrong and what he has learnt. accepts that the one thing he should have done was to change approach on the field to just get results and then try and change the culture, philosophy slowly afterwards.

- 1.42 - he immerses himself fully into the club. if we have been interested in him for a while and this was always a possibility then i bet he has been partly following Saints , watching matches and knows everything that we know and hopefully has a view already on what needs to change (on the pitch at least)

overall he comes across well - he definitely believes in himself and what he is trying to implement at clubs and has passion for the role. still a massive risk though in my eyes and not 100% convinced, but neither am I completely against the idea.

Great post - thank you

39 minutes ago, Greedyfly said:

This is the Carillo equivalent of a managerial signing. Cheap championship striker in Adams, didn't work. Cheap championship striker in Che, didn't work. Cheap championship manager, won't work. Villa got Emery. Laughable. 

Ah Wiggy it's been a while.

I still remember your post the day we bought Ryan Bertrand .... let's you are as wrong again 😀

17 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Well. This is fucking depressing. Fresh opportunity arose this morning, optimism and hope. This afternoon I feel completely underwhelmed and am already getting laughs from ates who support other clubs. 

I'm all for giving people a chance so hopefully he proves the huge majority very wrong and does a decent job. I'm not holding my breath though. 

Hopefully he's a diamond everyone else has missed. 

Not sure why the club thought he was the answer to a relegation battle.... Time is not on our side have and he will be under pressure for positive results, can we afford to gamble on someone to find their ropes in the premier League with no prior experience.. not only that but no experience at a high level abroad either...they obviously think so  

To quote from a Stoke supporting friend:

He was a road crash with us. I’m confident we would have gone down to League 1 if he hadn’t been sacked when he was. I think he was out of his depth when dealing with a challenging squad of players. He was ok at Luton as they were all his players who had bought into his style of football. That didn’t work in a new, bigger club like us. He may have learnt from the experience but I’d be pretty concerned if he was coming to my club. He was very emotional at times, a bit over excited. The fans liked this at first but then got a bit annoyed when the results didn’t follow. I think he is probably a good man though I would be worried that Saints may be too big a step for him. I hope I’m proved wrong….

I'm not feeling optimistic.

• Like 2

While I do feel a bit underwhelmed by the links to Jones, he could just be one name on a long shortlist. Realistically who else would we expect to be on there who would be interested in coming to us (leaving aside the River Plate guy as 99% of posters didnt know who he was until a few days ago)

Reports from the athletic saying Ralph overlooked eze (wen at QPR) and Olisie (wen at reading) and waited for players to leave the field wen we won a game so he could jazz hands and celebrate on his own..  really annoyed some players.

the athletic really hanging Ralph out to dry now he’s gone 

Edited by Chris cooper

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

This is just so underwhelming and is typical of the club at the moment. Whilst Villa and Wolves bring in highly respected Spanish managers, we look to the smallest team in the Championship for a new manager. Pathetic doesn't even come close in my eyes. SR could have made a real statement of intent by getting in someone the players would respect and the fans get behind. Can only see this ending up with us going down now.

Indeed. We might as well have given Nigel Adkins a second chance it would have been less of a speculative punt than appointing this unknown crackpot.

...and I was so looking forwards to going back to St Mary's now that The Austrian Flopp has left the building.

If all that is on offer going forwards is the Luton Hoo then I won't be crossing the Rubicon anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Indeed. We might as well have given Nigel Adkins a second chance it would have been less of a speculative punt than appointing this unknown crackpot.

...and I was so looking forwards to going back to St Mary's now that The Austrian Flopp has left the building.

If all that is on offer going forwards is the Luton Hoo then I won't be crossing the Rubicon anytime soon.

Bloody hell bit harsh this, hopefully the fans get behind him and get the noise back in the stadium as it’s been flat as a pancake for too long. If he turns out shit then I’m all for sack the board and protests but think our lot should rev it up a bit in the meantime otherwise it’ll kill off our season even quicker.

On the face of it, it’s not a particularly exciting appointment. But I haven’t a clue what the blokes like, and I doubt many of the critics have either. Somebody at the club has clearly identified him as a good fit, so let’s hope they’re right. 

There’s nothing wrong with his failure at Stoke, provided he’s learnt from it and become a better manager as a result of it. Sometimes failure teaches you more about yourself than success. Another god botherer Davie Moyes has put poor spells at clubs behind him and done a decent job afterwards.

The lack of top flight experience could be any issue, but I don’t see our lads as the “show us your medals” type of professionals. If he puts a few decent sessions on and is tactically intelligent, I’m sure they’ll buy into him. It’s a big chance for the bloke, let’s hope he takes it and in a couple of years time we’re calling him a disloyal twat when he fucks off to a bigger club. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

To quote from a Stoke supporting friend:

I'm not feeling optimistic.

As a club we never learn from past mistakes. SR were supposed to herald a new era where we could actually be competitive. Feels like this appointment, should it hppen,is a massive step backwards, already getting Strurrock vibes from it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Anyone know if this is actually likely to happen, or is Jones just a name amongst several others? 

It’s a bizarre signing if true and I cannot see any logic in it. A new manager needs to excite and unite the fans, this geezer won’t do that. 

If this happens, we’ll be a laughing stock. 

Edited by Dorchester Saint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Hey @SuperSAINT where are you, I feel like you've not posted in ages, I'd guess your probably busy posting about the North Korean transfer window tho so understandable you've not managed a load on Ralph's replacement.

Hibernating until January.  (I've found the site really slow today & even my patented twitter links took ages to load).

Thanks for the shout-out though, brother.

• Like 3

It’s just a shame how much our stock has fallen as a Premier League club in just a few years. We’ve gone from attracting Koeman to a Lowe-esque gamble on an unproven entity in a top league who’s only excelled in the lower tiers.

The Sturrock appointment put the wheels in motion of our last top flight relegation.  You’d have thought that if there is one club that would have learned from its past mistakes, it’s this one.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You'll be desperately missed

I don't think him failing at Stoke is that much to read into. They have been a shambles of a club since relegation. Michael O'Neill did a great job at Northern Ireland and failed at Stoke.

Alex Neil was doing a good job at Sunderland and jumped ship to Stoke and it's going badly wrong, their fans were frothing at the mouth after they lost again at the weekend.

They are just a rotten club.

If Sport Republic have been tracking him for a while and think he's a good fit then I'm happy to go with that. If Semmens suggestion I'd be more worried.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Obviously we all hope he will work out and it could be a masterstroke, but I think the one negative that is undeniable about this appointment is there won't be an immediate feel good factor among the fans that leads to an improved atmosphere. 

Absolutely.  The club and fans needed a lift, and I don't see Nathan Jones giving us that. He may or may not turn out to be a good appointment but it seems to be an appointment with next season in mind...

2 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

There's a long list of managers who earned their stripes in the Football League, enjoyed a lot of success, but then couldn't hack it in the Premier League. Managers such as Nigel Adkins, Paul Lambert, Carlos Carvalhal, Paulo Di Canio, Paul Ince, Chris Wilder, Brian McDermott and now currently Steve Cooper have all played a part in relegating a team up here after enjoying promotions down in the leagues below. Adkins took Reading down before anyone jumps on that! Eddie Howe, Brendan Rodgers and Thomas Frank are the outliers. It's certainly a risk going for Nathan Jones.

Keeping a championship side in the Prem having got them up is pretty tough. The players at your disposal are often just not good enough. Plenty have been successful in the FL, won promotion and managed to keep team up such as Peter Reid, Curbishley, Martin O'Neil, Tony Pulis, Steve Bruce, Tigana, Sean Dyche. Often they have momentum and lots of goodwill, but they still need to win games.

I wondered if Football League managers that were employed by more established Prem sides had faired better. There's George Graham, David Moyles, Martinez andGraham Potter that were pretty successful, but plenty more that came and went very quickly. I think it my be tougher to make the jump when going to a new club.

26 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

On the face of it, it’s not a particularly exciting appointment. But I haven’t a clue what the blokes like, and I doubt many of the critics have either. Somebody at the club has clearly identified him as a good fit, so let’s hope they’re right. 

There’s nothing wrong with his failure at Stoke, provided he’s learnt from it and become a better manager as a result of it. Sometimes failure teaches you more about yourself than success. Another god botherer Davie Moyes has put poor spells at clubs behind him and done a decent job afterwards.

The lack of top flight experience could be any issue, but I don’t see our lads as the “show us your medals” type of professionals. If he puts a few decent sessions on and is tactically intelligent, I’m sure they’ll buy into him. It’s a big chance for the bloke, let’s hope he takes it and in a couple of years time we’re calling him a disloyal twat when he fucks off to a bigger club. 

Great post 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Absolutely.  The club and fans needed a lift, and I don't see Nathan Jones giving us that. He may or may not turn out to be a good appointment but it seems to be an appointment with next season in mind...

Ive heard this a few times now and i just cant get my head around it. I understand the concept that we go for him and if we go down hes not a bad person to bring us up. But the way its written its as though we have better targets in mind but are choosing not to appoint them in case we appointed them and still go down and then we'd regret not having someone who could help us in the Championship. It simply doesnt make sense that we would risk going down at all just for a better chance in the championship. Am i missing something? It seems an error that i simply cant imagine anyone making. Ive no idea if its a good appointment but i cant believe its because we think we are down - have a look at the table - four points of 11th - it doesnt make sense does it? If we go down the person will have a similar record to Ralph this season... so do we really think we are trying to tie up Jones for next year as there is no-one that could keep us up?

I am guessing Jones' on about £400k a year at Luton. I assume he won't get the £6m we paid Ralph from us? I've always wondered how that negotiation goes. I mean, £1m might be ample to get him, but why shouldn't he expect what Ralph got? 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

I am guessing Jones' on about £400k a year at Luton. I assume he won't get the £6m we paid Ralph from us? I've always wondered how that negotiation goes. I mean, £1m might be ample to get him, but why shouldn't he expect what Ralph got? 

For the same reason Mara wouldn't expect the same as Ings' got. 

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Obviously we all hope he will work out and it could be a masterstroke, but I think the one negative that is undeniable about this appointment is there won't be an immediate feel good factor among the fans that leads to an improved atmosphere. 

Absolutely.  It's such a great opportunity to get the whole club, employees and fans alike excited again, but pretty much everyone is going to nervous and perhaps `flat'.  In the end though, all that matters is if he can get players onboard quickly and of course results. The feel good factor from fans will quickly follow. 

Just now, Chez said:

Absolutely.  It's such a great opportunity to get the whole club, employees and fans alike excited again, but pretty much everyone is going to nervous and perhaps `flat'.  In the end though, all that matters is if he can get players onboard quickly and of course results. The feel good factor from fans will quickly follow. 

Doubt there’s anyone we could attract that would unite fanbase in excitement.

• Like 3

Wish him well if he gets the job but I don’t hold out much hope. I think with the youngsters we have, the first thing we needed was a manager with some top level experience. Jones hasn’t even played to a high level let alone managed at anywhere near where we are.

Massive gamble.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

For the same reason Mara wouldn't expect the same as Ings' got. 

not sure it's quite the same, but if Mara came in on buttons then scored 20 goals in his first season his agent would be knocking on the managers door for Ing' money.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Doubt there’s anyone we could attract that would unite fanbase in excitement.

You are probably right. I know we might be a poison chalice, but £6m a season ought to be able to attract someone that does.

We are possibly going the Graham Potter route. Do you what their fans reaction was to his appointment?

Footballers have egos as we all know how are they possibly going to look up to and respect a manager that hasn't achieved anything at all at a high level either in this country or the equivalent abroad? Or even as a player? 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Saint Troy said:

Ive heard this a few times now and i just cant get my head around it. I understand the concept that we go for him and if we go down hes not a bad person to bring us up. But the way its written its as though we have better targets in mind but are choosing not to appoint them in case we appointed them and still go down and then we'd regret not having someone who could help us in the Championship. It simply doesnt make sense that we would risk going down at all just for a better chance in the championship. Am i missing something? It seems an error that i simply cant imagine anyone making. Ive no idea if its a good appointment but i cant believe its because we think we are down - have a look at the table - four points of 11th - it doesnt make sense does it? If we go down the person will have a similar record to Ralph this season... so do we really think we are trying to tie up Jones for next year as there is no-one that could keep us up?

Not a chance the owners are employing a manager with the needs of the championship even half in mind. No chance. The focus is purely on turning this season around and progressing from there. 

It's heartening to know that the club have been looking at him closely (apparently) but I'm curious how much they can have learned when his Luton side apparently play type of football so dissimilar to ours (and that of any other team to be recently successful in the PL now that Burnley finally dropped).

His league position to budget ratio must be amazing, but that doesn't strike me as a metric likely to transfer accurately at the elite level of the game.