Forest 4-3 Saints - Match Thread

Turkish

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Around 2000 years ago lots of hungry people went to a location to hear some geezer speak, they ended up going home with their bellies full of fish and bread. Miracles do happen. BELIEVE

We can do this! 

A win Monday could see us 3 points from safety with three to play. 

Come on boys , believe 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, JRM said:

We can do this! 

A win Monday could see us 3 points from safety with three to play. 

Come on boys , believe 

That’s the spirit bother!

Forest away is our Dunkirk, we win, we turn it around! 

32 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That’s the spirit bother!

Forest away is our Dunkirk, we win, we turn it around! 

I'lll organise the flotilla on the Trent so we can evacuate the players after our glorious (checks historical notes) defeat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, St. Ciervo said:

I'm sorry... The more I believe, the worse we play. I know I am not alone in witnessing this phenomenon.

I used to spend time pointing out the positive possibilities, but after our defeats to Bournemouth and Palace I knew our time was up. Only an unlikely win against Newcastle was going to change that. I still find myself clinging onto the positive possibilities but even those seem so beyond likelihood now that there is no way anyone can realistically believe we can stay up. For example, here is a (hugely unrealistic) scenario that I have posted in the 'Relegation run-in' thread:

Gameweek SAINTS Result? Pts Leeds Result? Pts Leicester Result? Pts Everton Result? Pts Forest Result? Pts
35 Forest (A) Win 3 Man City (A) Lose 0 Fulham (A) Lose 0 Brighton (A) Lose 0 Saints (H) Lose 0
36 Fulham (H) Win 3 Newcstle (H) Lose 0 Liverpool (H) Lose 0 Man City (H) Lose 0 Chelsea (A) Lose 0
37 Brighton (A) Draw 1 WestHam (A) Lose 0 Newcstle (A) Lose 0 Wolves (A) Lose 0 Arsenal (H) Lose 0
38 Liverpool (H) Lose 0 Spurs (H) Draw 1 WestHam (H) Draw 1 Bompey (H) Draw 1 Palace (A) Lose 0
Extra Pts     7     1     1     1     0
Current Pts     24     30     30     29     30
Final Pts     31     31     31     30     30

As you will see, even with this hugely optimistic scenario where we get 7 points, we are still likely to go down on goal difference with Leeds narrowly escaping! To escape relegation, therefore we are going to need 8 points at the very least and that is highly unlikley - even taking into account the fact that we often beat Brighton at the Amex!

Having said all that in the unlikely scenario that we do beat both Forest and Fulham and our relegation rivals lose both of their next two games, then I am sure I will find myself believing we can escape!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I used to spend time pointing out the positive possibilities, but after our defeats to Bournemouth and Palace I knew our time was up. Only an unlikely win against Newcastle was going to change that. I still find myself clinging onto the positive possibilities but even those seem so beyond likelihood now that there is no way anyone can realistically believe we can stay up. For example, here is a (hugely unrealistic) scenario that I have posted in the 'Relegation run-in' thread:

Gameweek SAINTS Result? Pts Leeds Result? Pts Leicester Result? Pts Everton Result? Pts Forest Result? Pts
35 Forest (A) Win 3 Man City (A) Lose 0 Fulham (A) Lose 0 Brighton (A) Lose 0 Saints (H) Lose 0
36 Fulham (H) Win 3 Newcstle (H) Lose 0 Liverpool (H) Lose 0 Man City (H) Lose 0 Chelsea (A) Lose 0
37 Brighton (A) Draw 1 WestHam (A) Lose 0 Newcstle (A) Lose 0 Wolves (A) Lose 0 Arsenal (H) Lose 0
38 Liverpool (H) Lose 0 Spurs (H) Draw 1 WestHam (H) Draw 1 Bompey (H) Draw 1 Palace (A) Lose 0

As you will see, even with this hugely optimistic scenario where we get 7 points, we are still likely to go down on goal difference with Leeds narrowly escaping! To escape relegation, therefore we are going to need 8 points at the very least and that is highly unlikley - even taking into account the fact that we often beat Brighton at the Amex!

Having said all that in the unlikely scenario that we do beat both Forest and Fulham and our relegation rivals lose both of their next two games, then I am sure I will find myself believing we can escape!!

I know I need to stop replying to these things but jesus christ.

32 points is obviously not going to be enough to stay up. Why are you wasting time putting up charts?

If we were in the position of Leicester Leeds and Forest right now there is no way you'd be predicting we'd only get 2 points or less from the 4 remaining games. And we need all 3 of them to do that to keep us up on 32.

It's just a ridiculous over reliance on other clubs to lose themselves to our safety. 

No club deserves to stay up on 32 and rest assured we won't.

Don't call yourself an optimistic supporter when the only "optimism" you show is that clubs you don't support will all collectively fail just for our benefit.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Grazorblade said:

Hi all! I just moved permanently to Southampton from Australia, so a new Saints supporter

sorry its been a rough year

Do most people go to the games or are the pubs people go to watch?

I'd lay off going to the stadium until next season because we are terrible at the moment and the atmosphere is awful.

We get around 30k in the stadium depending on who we are playing but also people go to pubs to watch games which are on TV. Bear in mind that Saturday 3pm kick offs are not on TV so you'll have to go to the match or watch a stream.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I'd lay off going to the stadium until next season because we are terrible at the moment and the atmosphere is awful.

We get around 30k in the stadium depending on who we are playing but also people go to pubs to watch games which are on TV. Bear in mind that Saturday 3pm kick offs are not on TV so you'll have to go to the match or watch a stream.

thanks for the info!

Which pub would you recommend?

2 minutes ago, Grazorblade said:

thanks for the info!

Which pub would you recommend?

Brewhouse on London Road is pretty decent. Lots of screens, plenty of choice of ales and they make their own pizzas.

The Painted Wagon near the Guildhall is plastered with Saints memorabilia, worth a visit to have a look at all the old pictures etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grazorblade said:

Hi all! I just moved permanently to Southampton from Australia, so a new Saints supporter

via Glasgow....?

(Sorry, bit of a Saintsweb Forum 'in joke'.... :) )

• Haha 2

I'd like us to lose.

The sooner it's confirmed we're down the sooner we can get on with planning for next season and get rid of the rot.

I don't care if we're in the Championship. Hell, the best time I've had supporting this club in my almost 50 years, was the 2 years in League 1.

Edited by Joey-deacons-left-nut

It’s just a shame we have to stomach Selles yet again.

’We will try to win the next 4 matches like I have been trying for the last 7 matches.’

Honestly the shit that comes out of his mouth.

Get Walcott and Kaladeen on a wing each plus tall Paul in the centre. Then get JWP playing further forward so you have a better attacking option.

The two wing backs should stop giving the opposition acres of spaces like we do and hold your flanks better.

A keeper

ABK

Benarek

Walkers-Peters

Maitland- Niles

Latvia

Armstrong (sitting in with Latvia)

JWP

Kaladeen

Tall Paul

Walcott

SUBS - Must be positive with Adams, Mara coming off the bench first to keep the pressure on Forest.

2 hours ago, Grazorblade said:

i'd go back if I were you....or support Man City 

🤣

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

You're forgetting that a club might have a points deduction. Where there's life, there's hope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grazorblade said:

With decision making like this, you’d probably be in with a good shout of running the club. 

At least you can swim in the ‘sea’ without the risk of a shark attack, I suppose. Just oil and sewage you need to worry about down here. 

Weston Shore is a lovely little spot and a local beach, if the weather is nice! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benjii said:

You're forgetting that a club might have a points deduction. Where there's life, there's hope.

sorry - replied to wrong poster!

Edited by DT

7 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I think we will lose our last four. Everton are definitely beating Bournemouth on the last day, and Fat Sam will squeeze a few more points out than you give Leeds. Also think Leicester will beat Liverpool at home. Forest will beat us easily, and Palace on the last day. Let me know your winnings on the betting slips...

• Haha 1

Got my ticket and ready to back the lads (well, at least until one of them monumentally screws up and the usual depression sets in). Anyone got Mickey Evans's number to see if he can improve our odds of pulling it out the bag? 

(Although, as Ruben hates playing strikers, he wouldn't get on the pitch even if he was identified as our bona fide saviour)

• Like 1

There's nothing to suggest we'll win any more games this season - might get a lucky draw out of a game, but even that's unlikely given how fragile the team are.  This really is the worst group of players, coaches and Manager in all my years as a Saints supporter.  I think we'd lose to the relegated Sunderland side of a few years back and they were dire.  I did actually have a small glimmer of hope 3-4 games back, but that's gone now. 2-0 Forest.

Saints lead 1-0 at half time, lose 3-1.

I just pray that at some point in the remaining matches we manage to win 1 free kick 24 yards out, just off centre, and Prowsey can sign off with the record.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

The only thing we have in our favour is this a pressure tie for Forest, whereas it isn't really for us anymore.

If you are fighting to stay up this is a three point banker, every Forest fan knows it. 3 points on a silver platter. Right there lads. Just take them.

If the roles were reversed there would be plenty on here convinced we would choke a home game against the worst team in the league. "Typical us" etc etc etc.

That's all I got.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The only thing we have in our favour is this a pressure tie for Forest, whereas it isn't really for us anymore.

If you are fighting to stay up this is a three point banker, every Forest fan knows it. 3 points on a silver platter. Right there lads. Just take them.

If the roles were reversed there would be plenty on here convinced we would choke a home game against the worst team in the league. "Typical us" etc etc etc.

That's all I got.

Such a dell sized mentality! 

11 hours ago, Grazorblade said:

also since we are going down this season, any young players that might get a young in the championship to look out for? Or are we likely to sign players to rejuvinate?

Welcome to Southampton - probably the most significant city in England, south of London! :)  I hope you will enjoy watching Saints - just recognise that, while we have spent more time in the Premier League than lower divisions over the past 40-50 years, we have always been a relatively small club in Premier League terms.... but we do take joy at having spent most of that period and some time before it in a higher division than our closest rivals.

You are probably on the wrong thread to ask these questions and you can actually start a new thread to ask them all. Nevertheless, to answer this specific question, I would say there are plenty of players to look out for:

• Will Smallbone has been out on loan at Stoke City this season and has done really well. He is keen to return to Saints and could definitely do a job for us in the Championship next season.
  • Nathan Tella has set the world alight on loan at Burnley this season. Saints fans would love to see him return next season to bring his form back here and to help us push back up to the Premier League. Smallbone seems to hint that Tella may do that, but don't know whetehr or not that is realistic or whether Tella will move permanently to Burnley.
  • Sam Edozie was signed from Man City last season and his dribbling skills certainly scared a few Premier League defences. Sadly he wasn't able to combine it with a good final ball, but hopefully he can improve on that next season in the Championship.
  • Dom Ballard is one of our under 18 academy talents who has scored bucket-loads of goals for our B team having been promoted from the academy team. There are many fans who hope that the Championship may give him the opportunity to break through into the first team.
  • Sam Amo-Ameyaw, Kamari Doyle and Tyler Dibling are among other Under-18s who could make the step up in the next year or so, given the opportunity to do so.
  • Juan Larios was another exciting youngster signed from Man City last summer. He has spent most of the season injured but hopefully he may be able to challenge for a first team spot next season - though he may have to challenge Romain Perraud for that position if the Frenchman stays with the club.
  • Finally, I will also mention Tino Livramento. He actually was an exciting breakthrough talent in the Saints team last season and made a first team spot his own, but sadly he suffered a swerious injury that has kept him out for a year. We are hopeful he will soon be back playing for the first team and also hope that he is not snapped up by another Premier League Club. There have to be serious questions for them about his fitness, so hopefully that will keep them at bay until January at least.

In terms of signings, it will depend on who leaves and where the needs are. In particular we all anticipate that our captain James Ward-Prowse will leave and it is also likely that Romeu Lavia will leave too. Our third central midfielder, Ibrahima Diallo has also declared that he wishes to leave, so aside from the return of Smallbone (see above) we may be short in that area and could well need to invest in bringing in one or two players with a bit of experience of the Championship in those positions.

25 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Welcome to Southampton - probably the most significant city in England, south of London! :)  I hope you will enjoy watching Saints - just recognise that, while we have spent more time in the Premier League than lower divisions over the past 40-50 years, we have always been a relatively small club in Premier League terms.... but we do take joy at having spent most of that period and some time before it in a higher division than our closest rivals.

You are probably on the wrong thread to ask these questions and you can actually start a new thread to ask them all. Nevertheless, to answer this specific question, I would say there are plenty of players to look out for:

• Will Smallbone has been out on loan at Stoke City this season and has done really well. He is keen to return to Saints and could definitely do a job for us in the Championship next season.
  • Nathan Tella has set the world alight on loan at Burnley this season. Saints fans would love to see him return next season to bring his form back here and to help us push back up to the Premier League. Smallbone seems to hint that Tella may do that, but don't know whetehr or not that is realistic or whether Tella will move permanently to Burnley.
  • Sam Edozie was signed from Man City last season and his dribbling skills certainly scared a few Premier League defences. Sadly he wasn't able to combine it with a good final ball, but hopefully he can improve on that next season in the Championship.
  • Dom Ballard is one of our under 18 academy talents who has scored bucket-loads of goals for our B team having been promoted from the academy team. There are many fans who hope that the Championship may give him the opportunity to break through into the first team.
  • Sam Amo-Ameyaw, Kamari Doyle and Tyler Dibling are among other Under-18s who could make the step up in the next year or so, given the opportunity to do so.
  • Juan Larios was another exciting youngster signed from Man City last summer. He has spent most of the season injured but hopefully he may be able to challenge for a first team spot next season - though he may have to challenge Romain Perraud for that position if the Frenchman stays with the club.
  • Finally, I will also mention Tino Livramento. He actually was an exciting breakthrough talent in the Saints team last season and made a first team spot his own, but sadly he suffered a swerious injury that has kept him out for a year. We are hopeful he will soon be back playing for the first team and also hope that he is not snapped up by another Premier League Club. There have to be serious questions for them about his fitness, so hopefully that will keep them at bay until January at least.

In terms of signings, it will depend on who leaves and where the needs are. In particular we all anticipate that our captain James Ward-Prowse will leave and it is also likely that Romeu Lavia will leave too. Our third central midfielder, Ibrahima Diallo has also declared that he wishes to leave, so aside from the return of Smallbone (see above) we may be short in that area and could well need to invest in bringing in one or two players with a bit of experience of the Championship in those positions.

I think James Bree will be a key player next season aswell to be honest .

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

I think James Bree will be a key player next season aswell to be honest .

I don’t understand why he hasn’t been given another chance already tbh. especially when you’re playing lyanco or AMN at rb in some games.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I don’t understand why he hasn’t been given another chance already tbh. especially when you’re playing lyanco or AMN at rb in some games.

I reckon Selles and Jones may not have got on. Bree definitely close to Jones but recognised as a strong right back in the championship and would be a decent option for us, will be a shame to see KWP leave though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

I reckon Selles and Jones may not have got on. Bree definitely close to Jones but recognised as a strong right back in the championship and would be a decent option for us, will be a shame to see KWP leave though. 

Think it’ll be Tino starting the season for us, clubs interested in him will look to see how he comes back and may go in January, could be wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Appy said:

Think it’ll be Tino starting the season for us, clubs interested in him will look to see how he comes back and may go in January, could be wrong.

Agree with Bree as back up as Tino certainly won't be starting every game 

Why call this a massive game? Brentford at home was where any hope of staying up had to start and losing that plus losing at West Ham, losing at home to Palace , losing at home to Bournemouth, etc means the club has been relegated for several weeks. Anyone who thinks a win at Forest will save us is deluded.......

5 minutes ago, Saints4everChris said:

Why call this a massive game? Brentford at home was where any hope of staying up had to start and losing that plus losing at West Ham, losing at home to Palace , losing at home to Bournemouth, etc means the club has been relegated for several weeks. Anyone who thinks a win at Forest will save us is deluded.......

It's a thread title said in jest, all we've got is a bit gallows humour to save this season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Saints4everChris said:

Buyuk vizilti. (Turkish for ‘massive whoosh’)

• Like 1

i think lavia will be here next season not a chance city will allow him to go to another premier league club,another season with us then back to them,dialogue between saints and city probably already taken place.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, sledger said:

i think lavia will be here next season not a chance city will allow him to go to another premier league club,another season with us then back to them,dialogue between saints and city probably already taken place.

Its irrelevant what city want, if other clubs bid this summer they'll have to match it... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Its irrelevant what city want, if other clubs bid this summer they'll have to match it... 

Not if Lavia wants to go back to City and we can afford not to sell him.

As per the previous post, we should be talking with City to accelerate their buy back on the condition that Lavia stays with us for another season on loan. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Saints4everChris said:

Why call this a massive game

😯🙂 The start of our great escape of course to match no other. 🤔😉.   

😂😂😂😂

Edited by 64saint

7 hours ago, sledger said:

You seem to be massively over estimating our specialness.

Why won't City allow him to go to another Premier League club?

I think an incredibly likely scenario is City buy him back and immediately loan him to Palace or Fulham or Brighton or whoever. Second most likely is City buy him back and put him in their squad.

There's a potential theory that we lend him to a club like Palace with an expectation that we can profit from selling him the following season to a CL club or he plays a second PL season for us when we go up first time. But not that likely.

Edited by CB Fry

4 hours ago, benjii said:

As per the previous post, we should be talking with City to accelerate their buy back on the condition that Lavia stays with us for another season on loan. 

Lavia has a Euro 24 squad to get into. Absolutely no chance he plays in the Championship with us, loan or permanent. See also ABK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

You seem to be massively over estimating our specialness.

Why won't City allow him to go to another Premier League club?

I think an incredibly likely scenario is City buy him back and immediately loan him to Palace or Fulham or Brighton or whoever. Second most likely is City buy him back and put him in their squad.

There's a potential theory that we lend him to a club like Palace with an expectation that we can profit from selling him the following season to a CL club or he plays a second PL season for us when we go up first time. But not that likely.

I think you're on the money.  The only change to your scenario I see is City buying him back ad playing him in the 23/24 season.   He's that good!   Staying with us is a fantasy which won't happen.

6 hours ago, benjii said:

Okay, let me rephrase. In response to, "Not a chance City will allow him to go to another premier league club" (this summer) - Man City do not dictate our transfer policy on Lavia. If we can afford to keep him (and decide to) then we can/will - and if he is happy to stay in the champ (doubtful) then we may well reject bids for him - we may even reject bids for him if he wants to leave... But if we do decide to sell him and other teams bid for him this summer, then city will be forced to match those offers if they want to "not allow him" to move to other prem teams. Ultimately, If Lavia decides to stay at Saints for a season of 2nd division football then that is his choice, not city's - I would love that to be the case, but it would quite extraordinary for a player that talented (and with a season of successful top flight football under his belt) to step down and spend a year of his career in the 2nd tier - especially at a club as dysfunctional as saints. The choice ultimately is on Lavia and saints, not what city will or will not allow 😄😆.

And to reiterate, it would be fantastic if we kept him for another year - even if it means we get £10M less for him next summer. Sadly i just can't see a scenario where he's playing Championship football.

Best case semi realistic scenario is Boehly gets the panic sweats over Chelsea's abysmal form and bungs us £50m-£60M this summer. Not sure city would match that.

Edited by Saint86

Two good things about this game:-

• It's on Monday night, so can't ruin the whole  effin' weekend
  • The other two of the bottom 3 will have already played, and hopefully have lost, which will give Selles the added incentive to keep it tight, play without a striker, go a goal or two down, bring on either defensive minded players or completely ineffective players, and not lose by too heavy a margin, while most importantly sticking to his principles whilst we meekly surrender. 

Winner Winner, we march on  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, austsaint said:

I think you're on the money.  The only change to your scenario I see is City buying him back ad playing him in the 23/24 season.   He's that good!   Staying with us is a fantasy which won't happen.

Loan to Burnley is the most likely option in this scenario.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Forest 4-3 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic