Ross Stewart

InvictaSaint

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Our transfer policy when it comes to attacking players is atrocious and has been for a while.

There are signs of life defensively though with the signings of THB & Downes. 

I think you are right regarding attacking players. Though that may be mildly unfair on Sam Edozie. Neither Charlie nor Sam have set the world on fire. Yet! Tall Paul is scoring - but in Turkey! 

But arguably there’s more than signs of life otherwise. 

Bazunu, Bree and Ryan Fraser can be added to THB and Flynn as players who’ve added value and got better. Larios is always injured though, sadly. 

5 good uns, 2 so far not doing enough 1 scoring overseas, one injury prone and one out for rest of season, apparently. It’s not a disastrous scorecard. In fact it’s better than I’d expect to get 5/10 at least doing very well and sone others getting there. It’s often a coin flip. 

Edited by gio1saints

55 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

They are in the PL. Ings would cook against championship defenses.

Look no further than A-Armstrong to see the difference playing against weaker teams. 

I think you need to read back through, we're talking about the risk when Saints signed him originally, not about signing him now. 

20 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I think you are right regarding attacking players. Though that may be mildly unfair on Sam Edozie. Neither Charlie nor Sam have set the world on fire. Yet! Tall Paul is scoring - but in Turkey! 

But arguably there’s more than signs of life otherwise. 

Bazunu, Bree and Ryan Fraser can be added to THB and Flynn as players who’ve added value and got better. Larios is always injured though, sadly. 

5 good uns, 2 so far not doing enough 1 scoring overseas, one injury prone and one out for rest of season, apparently. It’s not a disastrous scorecard. In fact it’s better than I’d expect to get 5/10 at least doing very well and sone others getting there. It’s often a coin flip. 

Strange way of looking at it. Pretty sure Bazuna isn’t worth more than the £12m we paid for him, Bree has already done it at this level last year so good signing if we did it now, but a dreadful one in the Prem. The other 3 yes - our loans have been good - but we are adding  value to 3 players for other clubs and if we don’t go up at least 2 of those won’t be here (hence the need to buy players wisely - not continually piss it up the wall)

Our transfer business (buying players) really hasn’t been good in my opinion  - either poor players, injured players or players not ready for the level we signed them for. You could certainly argue Lavia - but he does look a bit injury prone. Outside of that I’m really struggling for successes over the past 3 years. I guess Livramento - but we didn’t see much of him

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hodgey said:

I think overall having a pop at our transfer business is fair. Yes we’ve used the loan system well but given we have little money we’ve spent £20m on a very questionable left back, an injured striker and a city kid who isn’t ready (didn’t learn that lesson from last year). Honestly - I don’t think we would be any different position wise if we hadn’t signed any of them. £20m is a lot in this division and we should be spending it much more efficiently

Who was the questionable £20m left back because Manning was out of contract at Swansea and came on a Free transfer.

36 minutes ago, derry said:

Who was the questionable £20m left back because Manning was out of contract at Swansea and came on a Free transfer.

He’s talking about the three of them in total, not Manning. Stewart 8, Charles 12, Manning 0 = 20m

• Like 4

On 23/12/2023 at 02:17, Dr. Kucho said:

It certainly possible to be out with a hamstring injury for 5 months. If the hamstring is torn, and this isn’t the first hamstring injury for Stewart, you are talking 8-12 weeks recovery. Then it’s another 4 to 6 weeks to get up to speed and see how the hamstring feels. 

The club likely have decided that Stewart shouldn’t be rushed so he doesn’t have a setback in this injury. 

(Source regarding hamstring recovery, my partner who has been a physiotherapist for 17 years and specializes in knee and hip injuries)

I trust you,  you are a Doctor after all. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I trust you,  you are a Doctor after all. 

Thanks for the compliment Toussaint. 

On a serious note, it’s better to keep Stewart out longer then rush him back and get him injured again. If you want to see how not to rehabilitate a player, there’s a video of 3 physios (or better sad idiots) treating Neymar after his ACL injury. Just 3 weeks after the opp they are bending him his knee to full and you can hear him scream and swear. 
Like said earlier, my partner is a physiotherapist and specializes in knee and hip injuries (studied in Holland and university of Brussels). She says that a full ACL recovery takes 1 year, any sooner and the person is being rushed. When you see clubs having players on the pitch 6 months after an ACL operation, they are playing Russian roulette with this persons knees (and career). 
Good example is Arjen Robben whilst playing at Munich. He was injured and a international tournament was coming up. The physio of the Dutch team stretched his leg endles, gave him the green light to play and after the tournament he was out for almost a year with an injury. Munich sued the Dutch team for this.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Thanks for the compliment Toussaint. 

On a serious note, it’s better to keep Stewart out longer then rush him back and get him injured again. If you want to see how not to rehabilitate a player, there’s a video of 3 physios (or better sad idiots) treating Neymar after his ACL injury. Just 3 weeks after the opp they are bending him his knee to full and you can hear him scream and swear. 
Like said earlier, my partner is a physiotherapist and specializes in knee and hip injuries (studied in Holland and university of Brussels). She says that a full ACL recovery takes 1 year, any sooner and the person is being rushed. When you see clubs having players on the pitch 6 months after an ACL operation, they are playing Russian roulette with this persons knees (and career). 
Good example is Arjen Robben whilst playing at Munich. He was injured and a international tournament was coming up. The physio of the Dutch team stretched his leg endles, gave him the green light to play and after the tournament he was out for almost a year with an injury. Munich sued the Dutch team for this.

Fair enough, but kind of ridiculous we signed him at all then isn't it?

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Well not really as he didn’t have a hamstring or ACL injury when we signed him

Ross Stewart nearing injury return but faces Southampton battle after Sunderland switch - Chronicle Live

The Scottish striker picked up a major Achilles injury during the Black Cats FA Cup clash with Fulham back in January and hasn't kicked a ball since.

🤷‍♂️

58 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Why are we talking about ACL with regard to Stewart? Have I missed something, thought it was a hamstring

His previous injury was an Achilles injury, which is what I thought Dr. Kucho was talking about when I replied. 

Think he was just talking about ACL injuries as a tangent. 

• 2 weeks later...

His injury can't be too bad and I guess the demand as a GK is different to that of an outfielder so a good way to rehab him.

Good for him to recover a bit closer to home and then come back next season fully fit and ready to go.

Yep agreed a stupid signing.. Typical Saintsy isn't it 

" What do we need lads ? " 

" Goals and more firepower " 

" What about that lad at Sunderland ? "

" He is out injured longterm and can't currently run 100 metres Boss! Also no guarantee he will be the same standard of player " 

" Sounds absolutely ideal get him signed " 

Facking can't make it up 🤣

Edited by ally_uk
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Had to do a lot of scrolling to find Ross. Features a fair bit in Sunderland doc on Netflix. Comes across well. Loved that his Dad paid 500 quid to get the transfer done when Albion Rovers would only pay 1k of the 1500 quid asking price from his non league club!

8 minutes ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Does anyone know how the rehab is going ?

Bit obvious but could be a massive bonus if he could get minutes before end of season 

I very much doubt he's going to be in any position to make any sort of contributions this season, even if he were to get fit before the end of the season which seems unlikely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Bit obvious but could be a massive bonus if he could get minutes before end of season 

Southampton have already said he won’t play this season. Makes sense we are scoring goals and in theory he will be ready to go next season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Won't play this season, they're targeting pre-season to build him up and see where he is. I don't even think he'll be ready for the start of next season.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, manji said:

Southampton have already said he won’t play this season. 

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Won't play this season

I'm possibly entering pendantry territory here (for once...) but the latest official communication from the club (that I'm aware of) said that Stewart is "unlikely" to feature again this season (as per this article: https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/news/article/stewart-unlikely-to-feature-again-this-season.) Has the situation changed to "definitely" won't play (subtle difference) or is it more a case of assuming that'll be the case? (don't get me wrong, it's probably the correct assumption but I just don't recall reading anywhere that the club have categorically ruled it out)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm possibly entering pendantry territory here (for once...) but the latest official communication from the club (that I'm aware of) said that Stewart is "unlikely" to feature again this season (as per this article: https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/news/article/stewart-unlikely-to-feature-again-this-season.) Has the situation changed to "definitely" won't play (subtle difference) or is it more a case of assuming that'll be the case? (don't get me wrong, it's probably the correct assumption but I just don't recall reading anywhere that the club have categorically ruled it out)

When I read the original article I thought it was clear the club were certain he would not feature, however there will always be some factors that might flex that assertion…i.e. his injury might repair quicker than anticipated (past injuries would tend to suggest this to be unlikely) and there is the difficult to predict period of time that he takes getting up to speed with Russball (unlikely to be a short period following recovery, based on time taken for other new players to get up to speed and also performance advances the team will hopefully make in the meantime). So in summary, there’s very little if any chance of him returning this season, but they’d be daft to rule it out entirely.

• Like 2

I’m really hoping the club are looking at this as a ‘assume he’ll never be fit and as good as he was, anything else a bonus’, ie we should be looking for another striker pre season. We should have learnt a valuable lesson with M Svensson which for me started our decent down the divisions.

worked with Ings, didn’t here - those are the risks…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

When I read the original article I thought it was clear the club were certain he would not feature, however there will always be some factors that might flex that assertion…i.e. his injury might repair quicker than anticipated (past injuries would tend to suggest this to be unlikely) and there is the difficult to predict period of time that he takes getting up to speed with Russball (unlikely to be a short period following recovery, based on time taken for other new players to get up to speed and also performance advances the team will hopefully make in the meantime). So in summary, there’s very little if any chance of him returning this season, but they’d be daft to rule it out entirely.

I hope you are right. He’s still going to be an asset . I watched his return for the B side. It was streamed live. OK it was a cameo but he was aggressive skilful and scored a great goal. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, manji said:

I hope you are right. He’s still going to be an asset . I watched his return for the B side. It was streamed live. OK it was a cameo but he was aggressive skilful and scored a great goal. 

My fear is that he’ll come back hampered by injury potential (his body has taken too much punishment) and that ultimately he’ll not be at a level suitable for the EPL (let’s face it, he was bought in to contend in the Championship).

On 06/01/2024 at 15:08, saint lard said:

All joking apart. What a complete waste of money. A gamble that was obvious to many was ridiculous in such an important season. 
now we are lumbered with him. 
we get promotion?…another squad filler. 

Mr Glass

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

My fear is that he’ll come back hampered by injury potential (his body has taken too much punishment) and that ultimately he’ll not be at a level suitable for the EPL (let’s face it, he was bought in to contend in the Championship).

Not this season.

• Haha 2

Having had such a success with this Sunderland reject, the gossip column on the Beeb is suggesting that we are interested in another one, Jack Clarke for the princely sum of £20mill…

….mind you, everyone gets linked with everyone on there, 

34 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Having had such a success with this Sunderland reject, the gossip column on the Beeb is suggesting that we are interested in another one, Jack Clarke for the princely sum of £20mill…

….mind you, everyone gets linked with everyone on there, 

Good point. No idea why we signed van Dijk and Wanyama from Celtic after we’d bought Hooiveld who clearly wasn’t up to Premier League standard.