Saints 5-0 Swansea - Match Thread

southbourne saint

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 5-0 Swansea - Match Thread

What a win that is, even I’m starting to believe now!

Impossible to pick a MOTM out of that, everyone has been a 7 at a minimum.

One thing I will say is this Aribo of the last 5 or so games has been like a new signing for us.

Get another attacker in next week, ideally a striker, and I think we could do it.

• Like 3

That is it, I am sold. We really do have an excellent chance of going up Top 2 with this set up (and squad). 

Superb performance again. No idea who is MoM, as so many were excellent. Ryan Fraser could easily have been MoM but Edozie was excellent again.  Ross Stewart must be absolutely gutted!!!

At some point we will lose and drop points at home, but we have pretty much closed that gap (just need Ipswich to not win later).....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bpsaint said:

What a win that is, even I’m starting to believe now!

Impossible to pick a MOTM out of that, everyone has been a 7 at a minimum.

One thing I will say is this Aribo of the last 5 or so games has been like a new signing for us.

Get another attacker in next week, ideally a striker, and I think we could do it.

Agreed on Aribo, so strong on the ball

Just wow! Stunning performance and clearly the best of the season. Every player contributed and some of the football and goals were brilliant. The Wee Man never disappoints from the bench - two superb goals plus an assist. A big shout out to Jo Aribo who I thought was unplayable at times.  This team is now starting to gel and can make a real challenge for one of the automatic spots which I doubted a few weeks ago. Unbeaten in 16 and improving fast. Well done to RM, the coaches and players who all deserve huge credit. That was a great watch.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Wiggles31 said:

Bloody love this team! Pride is well and truly back! What a run! 16 games unbeaten since my boy was born! 

Can you try and sort us another good luck charm for towards the start of next season in the Premier League, please!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

The thing is he is so effective coming off the bench though, I wouldn't personally change it. Keep bringing him on on 60 mins or so 

Agreed. When he came on for Edozie with about 20 minutes to go, I thought it was a perfect substitution. Edozie terrorises the other teams for about 70 minutes, and Wee Fraser terrorises them for the rest of the match. It has been working superbly so far, and as they* say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

* Except for one Danish wally I won't mention.

Wow!

Swansea have some decent players. They are as well drilled in our playing style as anyone in the league.

We out worked, out fought, utterly out passed and out classed them. We were creating right to the end and they simply couldn't cope with it.

They had a couple of early efforts. One from an angle and one from a set piece. None that are going to kep Martin worrying unduly.

We've had games with more possession. We've had games with more shots.

But our possession was dominant. When we didn;t have it we were structured and they often had it, because we'd been creating something.

When we got a shot today, it was nearly always on target. Behind the shots, we simply controlled the game.

A ridiculous amount of positives. In addition to the usual work rates for the likes of AA, Aribo looked even shaprer today. He was all over the pitch, offering us different options with his strength.

Stephens, not long back, isn;t as sharpe. But he offered a lot of strong play, passing options and looked to drive us forward. Martin praised him a lot at the start of season for his vocal leadership. We saw him push us forward a fair bit today.

Stu supported Edozie really well, getting the youngster the opportunities and being there when it needed to be passed back. Taking some of that decision making off his shoulders. Stu was also always about to get froward or track as needed.

Edozie did very well. He's now getting enough minutes that he's not only back to the level he got to earlier in the season, but pushing past it. Martin impressed the need for goals from our wider players. Edozie is now delivering that.

He offers something different from Fraser too. When their defence saw Fraser coming on, they must have hung their heads a bit. Direct, experienced and aware of opportunities.

Having seen a lot of other Championship teams in recent weeks you can see the gap in quality in our passing style. We might not be as out and out attacking as an Ipswich. We might not be as fast or physical as a Watford. But we have so much more control over games. The work done has made us a lot more felxible. We have players instinctively taking up those positions they were coached into ealrier in the season. Bednarek and THB were solid, but Downes, Stephens, Smallbone and others like Aribo today gave them lots of out balls through the middle.

It takes a lot of the strain off of Baz. He did very well with the quick passes he had to make from the back today, but didn;t have too much else to do.

Cracking performance, and lets hope Leicester can do us a favour later.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

The thing is he is so effective coming off the bench though, I wouldn't personally change it. Keep bringing him on on 60 mins or so 

Imagine being the opposition RB. You've just had Edozie tear you a new one for an hour. You look up and see his number on the subs board and think 'thank fuck for that', and then you see who's replacing him.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2