Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Hasenhuttl ...can we criticise him yet...

Two season ago we finished 17th. Last season we finished 16th. If we finish someone between 12th and 15th I would take that as positive progress. The thing is, inevitably if you are finishing around that place wit say 43 points you will at some stage of the season appear to be a relegation candidate and looking at the next five fixtures I think we may be in the drop zone or close to it at the end of November. But then from the Watford game onward we have a good set of fixture which hopefully will see us north of 20 points at the halfway mark which is minimum target.

I imagine we must have one of the youngest teams in the league and so the hope should be we will improve year on year

Quote Originally Posted by tobes8 View Post
    To be honest I donít know what people expect when we have an owner with very little ambition and an unwillingness to dip into his pocket. The squad is probably at the ceiling in terms of being as good as itís going to get. Nothing will change with gao unfortunately. Think Ralph is doing ok and an upgrade on our last 3 managers but has made some weird decisions lately.
    In answer to your first question, which you go on to answer in part, the minimum I expect is to play the best players in their best positions, drop out of form players and try to find a way to get along and get the best out of premier league egotist footballers. I'm not a Ralph out man, or anywhere near it, and I haven't really noticed anyone suggesting that he should go. What I see is a general frustration. I'm starting to think he has found himself out of his depth in the premier, but I do think he is capable and will find his feet. I am also concerned that 6 of the 7 points we have could be considered very fortunate. There is also a general air of Saints fatigue and frustration, its been a tough few years since Ronald.

Quote Originally Posted by Toussaint View Post
    In answer to your first question, which you go on to answer in part, the minimum I expect is to play the best players in their best positions, drop out of form players and try to find a way to get along and get the best out of premier league egotist footballers. I'm not a Ralph out man, or anywhere near it, and I haven't really noticed anyone suggesting that he should go. What I see is a general frustration. I'm starting to think he has found himself out of his depth in the premier, but I do think he is capable and will find his feet. I am also concerned that 6 of the 7 points we have could be considered very fortunate. There is also a general air of Saints fatigue and frustration, its been a tough few years since Ronald.
    The bold bit is sometimes the hard bit i think! best players arent always the best attitude ,especially around transfer windows! Agree about finding his feet - it took Pep a year to really get to grip with the prem with a team of world class players so what chance ralph with our lot! He needs time and our support i agree

Having watched what has been happening in recent weeks I do wonder if there is a problem in the way the club is handling players, and that is costing us results.

It's all very well side-lining a player because they have broken the rules or perhaps has not been as focussed as Ralph would like. To then drop players and play others out of position is very odd and weakens us even more than we already are.

Surely the most important thing is to field our strongest team with everyone playing where they best fit, no matter what is going on behind closed doors. Issues, if there are any, should be dealt with once the match is finished. I find it hard to believe that we have a lot of disciplinary issues in our squad, to the point where it is forcing re-deployment of players into unnatural positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    Two season ago we finished 17th. Last season we finished 16th. If we finish someone between 12th and 15th I would take that as positive progress. The thing is, inevitably if you are finishing around that place wit say 43 points you will at some stage of the season appear to be a relegation candidate and looking at the next five fixtures I think we may be in the drop zone or close to it at the end of November. But then from the Watford game onward we have a good set of fixture which hopefully will see us north of 20 points at the halfway mark which is minimum target.

I imagine we must have one of the youngest teams in the league and so the hope should be we will improve year on year
    You paint a very bleak picture and this scenario is certainly not the one expressed by board members at the most recent Fans Forum. We may not have a perfect squad but we do have perfectly good squad and clearly the club is more ambitious than to settle for a process of gradual improvement. It is up to Ralph to deliver with the squad he has and if it is the case that he is still unsure of his best squad that may be in part because he was focusing absolutely on building a new young team and did not expect Cedric, Bertrand, Yoshida & Boufal to re-assert themselves so forcefully and show how limiteds some of the "young buck" options he was backing turned out to be.

I hope he is flexible enough and man enough to admit he may have got it wrong.

6. Default

Well unlike the previous 2 managers, despite a similar stuttering start to the season, I do believe in Ralph. He has tried a few different options, some have failed and cost us points, thats football, I think if a tactic or selection isn't working he will alter it, not always successfully but at least we have someone willing to try different options until it gels. We may still not yet have the personel to achieve what we all want, time will tell. Djanepo has been a revelation, Adams has not so far despite a fair run in the team. We've had good wins so far, gave the European champions and the runners up a run for their money, and gave the Skates a bloody nose on their own turf.
    Chin up chaps, we will be OK.

Sussex - previously New Milton & Kingsclere

My confidence in Ralph is, or was, based on what he has said more than on what he has done. Some manager stability would be a nice thing, but that's much easier when you have an obviously successful man in the job, such as Eddie Howe, down the road. We do have some quality players in a decent squad but as a team, they aren't performing to the expected level, at least, not all of them. Dropping Adams at Tottenham, was IMO the right thing although sticking with Vestergaard after the pre-match loss of Cedric was questionable. I can't see what Ralph is doing wrong, which is why he's a professional football coach and I'm not, but surely he should be able to see what's wrong, and more crucially, put it right. He says the right things in his post-match assessments and appears very frank and honest in the press conferences but he's going to be judged on deeds more than words, and specifically more on results than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    My confidence in Ralph is, or was, based on what he has said more than on what he has done. Some manager stability would be a nice thing, but that's much easier when you have an obviously successful man in the job, such as Eddie Howe, down the road. We do have some quality players in a decent squad but as a team, they aren't performing to the expected level, at least, not all of them. Dropping Adams at Tottenham, was IMO the right thing although sticking with Vestergaard after the pre-match loss of Cedric was questionable. I can't see what Ralph is doing wrong, which is why he's a professional football coach and I'm not, but surely he should be able to see what's wrong, and more crucially, put it right. He says the right things in his post-match assessments and appears very frank and honest in the press conferences but he's going to be judged on deeds more than words, and specifically more on results than anything else.
    Overall, I still prefer him to Hughes, Pellegrino and Puel but I think 90% of our fans could see what he was doing wrong with his defensive selections and formations v Bournemouth and Spurs. Players out of position, Vestergaard...

9. Default

Koeman made some odd decisions and had some very poor runs of form and he is probably one of our most successful managers for a long time.

Thing is we do not have the full picture, we only see what happens on the pitch, we don't know what instructions the player is given that they may not carry out, we don't know what they are working on the training ground and what the players show there, we don't know what players attitudes and approaches are.

Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    Koeman made some odd decisions and had some very poor runs of form and he is probably one of our most successful managers for a long time.

Thing is we do not have the full picture, we only see what happens on the pitch, we don't know what instructions the player is given that they may not carry out, we don't know what they are working on the training ground and what the players show there, we don't know what players attitudes and approaches are.
    Wasn't there something around Christmas in Koemans last season where the results were a bit pants. A bizarre 4-0 Boxing day win v Arsenal the only bright spot and by the time we got knocked out of the cup by Palace (?) there were rumours of grumblings behind the scenes at Saints from a reliable ITK - and the hierarchy weren't best pleased with various goings on, on and off the pitch. Then we hit a purple patch and went on an unbeaten run that propelled us up into automatic Europa League qualification.
    Seems since the departure of Les and Ralph K - it seems like there is a void of that level of club management to kick Ralphs backside (if needs be).

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Wasn't there something around Christmas in Koemans last season where the results were a bit pants. A bizarre 4-0 Boxing day win v Arsenal the only bright spot and by the time we got knocked out of the cup by Palace (?) there were rumours of grumblings behind the scenes at Saints from a reliable ITK - and the hierarchy weren't best pleased with various goings on, on and off the pitch. Then we hit a purple patch and went on an unbeaten run that propelled us up into automatic Europa League qualification.
    Seems since the departure of Les and Ralph K - it seems like there is a void of that level of club management to kick Ralphs backside (if needs be).

I share your recollection of events in RK's last season. it seems absurd now to remember that our upsurge in form coincided with Forster's return to first team after injury.

As for your last comment though I don't recall Les and Ralph K being too good in the ar$e-kicking department when Pellegrino was in charge, but take your point that there isn't anyone in post who RH feels closely answerable to.

Busted flush.
    Talks a good game but canít deliver it.
    Over complicates the game thinking he is clever...but heís not.
    He sets out to counter the opposition...not set us up to do what we can and hurt the opposition.
    Players maybe sub par but you coach them to reach their potential...he obviously canít. There is no improvement at all.
    Brought in some players of his choice...canít even make a starting 11.....Moussa might be a shining light.
    Ridiculous player selections in obviously the wrong positions.
    Substitutions are baffling and the timing of them...often way to late and wrong personnel.
    Ok heís dealt a pretty poor hand...but he is quite frankly **** overall.
    In fact...heís conned his way into our club with the crap he spouts.
    Unfortunately I donít see anyone that can do better with this gutless overpaid shower of ****e.
    They arenít playing for him anymore anyhow.
    But heís a fraud thus far.
    Bigger than Adkins...and that is saying something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His career is in reverse right now
    no chance will spurs / united come calling

bizarre manager

14. Default

Players don't seem to be on board with his philosophy anymore. That's a worry.

Back in form wolves, Leicester and man city twice is it.
    Hmm with javi Garcia available somebody in the league is going to pull the trigger.
    I still we’ll stick with Ralph but he’s engendering confidence

Needs to learn how to pick a team, formation and subs.

As someone earlier mentioned his numbers don't make for good reading.
    Last win at home in league was 13th April. Only one win at home since march.
    Only two wins in the last 13 league games and only 10 points from last 39 on offer. That means from 14th April to today he has a 15% win ratio in the league. That is MP2 type numbers.

My main gripe with him is that he doesn't change tactics when they are not working and instead keeps doing the same-thing. When we need to change things we just plod on. He doesn't make effective subs at all.

But at the end of the day as crap as he is being right now he can only use what is available to him. The squad overall is poor and is going to take a few more windows to sort out. Maybe a better manager would get more out of them but I don't think it is a gamble worth taking.

I think the change that needs to happen isn't getting rid of him. But changing the formation and set up. We need to be more positive and have more bodies forwards. If we are going to have two DM's then remove a defender and put an attacking player on.

Today was on par with the performances Pellegrino served up.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    Today was on par with the performances Pellegrino served up.
    This

20. Default

Results based business.
    The performances and passion have gone.
    Time for a change

Lost the dressing room?

I wonder. There are clearly a few issues with his strange omissions.

Hoped he would be better; however let's not kid ourselves: our squad is **** poor. Would this squad be good enough to win promotion from the Championship?

Criticise yes replace ...who with?
    How bad do JWP and Hojberg have to be to get substituted . Why no changes at half time just surrender?
    4-3-3 against Chelsea was madness and not changing anything means he has lost the plot or needs better help

Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    Results based business.
    Time for a change
    Don’t be silly Dave

24. Default

I usually give it 10 games each season before applying for membership of the SWF Doom & Gloom Club, but this year I'm going to apply after just 8 games. Anyone got a spare membership form? Alas, another battle against relegation beckons.

P.s. there's got to be more than meets the eye to Rohl leaving just before the start of the season, hasn't there?
    Last edited by trousers; 06-10-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Results based business.
    Time for a change
    The fickleness of fans ffs. Staggering.

Let's bring in 'arry, or Fat Sam...

No point changing the manager, it's the dicks at the top that need to go to see any improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    Criticise yes replace ...who with?
    How bad do JWP and Hojberg have to be to get substituted . Why no changes at half time just surrender?
    4-3-3 against Chelsea was madness and not changing anything means he has lost the plot or needs better help

Yep. Starts with the wrong formation. Again. We were never going to beat Chelsea by trying to hold onto the ball and pass it around at the back.

No point making substitutions with only ten minutes left.

We have no identity, slow, predictable almost to the point of lethargy in attack. Ralph had the summer to impose his game plan and ideas on the squad and has failed miserably. Annoying thing is that we should be comfortably in midtable this season despite this, but some baffling selections/game management from Ralph has meant we are near the bottom. On another note the worrying thing for me a lot of premier league clubs have premier league ready youngsters to come in, our academy despite the hype seems unable to produce players with the correct attributes.

I think he's a cracking coach with a good idea of how to approach games - he's just been sold a dud with this utterly horrific squad, let's be honest.

It's ****. Full of absolute losers.

I don't really rate Hoj, not a huge fan of Gunn. Betrand looks like he's had enough, JWP continues to flatter under any manager he ever plays for. Romeu is decent, but not top level.

We just don't have top level players anymore, it's a cobbled together bunch of has beans and average players and there's no intention to improve on that because we've wasted so much money on utter ****.

Don't blame the manager, blame the hand he's been dealt but the people running my club.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    I think he's a cracking coach with a good idea of how to approach games - he's just been sold a dud with this utterly horrific squad, let's be honest.

I don't really rate Hoj, not a huge fan of Gunn. Betrand looks like he's had enough, JWP continues to flatter under any manager he ever plays for. Romeu is decent, but not top level.

We just don't have top level players anymore, it's a cobbled together bunch of has beans and average players and there's no intention to improve on that because we've wasted so much money on utter ****.

Don't blame the manager, blame the hand he's been dealt but the people running my club.
    We are still suffering from the bloated squad resulting from the last few managers. Unfortunately we have got rid of the players that were wanted by other clubs and we are left with the ones we couldn’t sell or loan.

Fair point............but Ralph has to take some blame for his weird team selections ....tactics and subs ... What about Stuart Armstrong being given a run in the team ? Never really been given a chance to play in his best position and he can score goals from midfield ...not like the 3 plodders wre have in at the side at the moment .

31. Default

Les Reed gents.

The time to get angry passed 2 - 3 years ago.

#Toolatenow

As his honeymoon period is officially over let's list his strengths & weaknesses before we go rushing for the divorce papers

STRENGTHS

Allegedly good at improving mediocre/average players

Allegedly plays football the right way pressing the opponent's with a high tempo high energy exciting game

Most players seem to respect him

Seems a honest guy

Potentially a loyal person

Is not pelligrino

Is not Allardyce

WEAKNESSES

Seems to have a Lack of defensive knowledge

Regularly plays players out of position

Known to drop better performing players for no reason

Could be a one trick high press pony, doesn't seem to have another plan to turn to when things aren't working

Doesn't seem to have any tactical nous with substitutions or with formations

Doesn't seem aware of his own mistakes

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Who exactly do people think would realistically come in to replace him and do better with this shower of ****e squad??

He comes across as a good coach but a good coach should be getting the best out of a team and players and it was painfully obvious today that those on the pitch have not improved, seemed devoid of ideas or tactical nous.
    A good coach improves, motivates and encourages.
    Can anyone honestly say things are actually improving after two months of the season?

Aside from the baffling defensive lineups, the biggest problem I can see is that the players who seemed to instantly improve after Ralph's arrival last season all appear to have regressed badly to their old selves.

Redmond, JWP, Hoj, Bednarek - they all seem to be playing well below what we know they are capable of. Manager has to take a large slice of the responsibility for that IMO.

The only players who have really given a decent account of themselves so far this season are Romeu, Ings and Djenepo in his brief appearances (bloody typical that as soon as we unearth a player who looks like he might actually be a PL quality attacker, he gets himself injured straight away). Everyone else has been sub par.

36. Default

Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    Don’t be silly Dave
    sorry. i blame the Kingfisher. one too many

This
    agreed

Is the squad really that bad though? outside of the big six and maybe Leicester west ham wolves and Everton (who have all shown more ambition and spent more money) would you really say our squad is that bad compared with the rest of the teams? .
    Agree with the part about we have no absolute top level players left but this is a result of selling all our stars to Liverpool etc and now we haven’t been able to replace them this is the result of that, like I was saying in a another post the other day we have kinda stood still around the 15-20m mark of signing players whilst likes of West Ham Leicester even wolves palace etc will pay more . So if our 15 m buys our hit and miss and we keep selling the hits it’s gonna end up this way.
    Our defence has been a mess for ages and in two seasons to rectify this we have brought in vestergaard and danso lol so it’s not really looking like turning around any time soon

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    Is the squad really that bad though? outside of the big six and maybe Leicester west ham wolves and Everton (who have all shown more ambition and spent more money) would you really say our squad is that bad compared with the rest of the teams? .
    Agree with the part about we have no absolute top level players left but this is a result of selling all our stars to Liverpool etc and now we haven’t been able to replace them this is the result of that, like I was saying in a another post the other day we have kinda stood still around the 15-20m mark of signing players whilst likes of West Ham Leicester even wolves palace etc will pay more . So if our 15 m buys our hit and miss and we keep selling the hits it’s gonna end up this way.
    Our defence has been a mess for ages and in two seasons to rectify this we have brought in vestergaard and danso lol so it’s not really looking like turning around
    any time soon
    I think you've answered your own question there.

Our defence has been a mess for ages and in two seasons to rectify this we have brought in vestergaard and danso lol so it’s not really looking like turning around any time soon
    I suspect that of our established players (i.e. not including Djenepo, Danso and Adams) the only player we have that most rival fans would definitely put in their first team is Redmond, with Sheffield United and Newcastle fans probably persuadable on Ings. I suppose a couple of others might also consider Romeu and Bertrand, but they're certainly not shoo-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    He comes across as a good coach but a good coach should be getting the best out of a team and players and it was painfully obvious today that those on the pitch have not improved, seemed devoid of ideas or tactical nous.
    A good coach improves, motivates and encourages.
    Can anyone honestly say things are actually improving after two months of the season?
    This

Quote Originally Posted by verlaine1979 View Post
    I suspect that of our established players (i.e. not including Djenepo, Danso and Adams) the only player we have that most rival fans would definitely put in their first team is Redmond, with Sheffield United and Newcastle fans probably persuadable on Ings. I suppose a couple of others might also consider Romeu and Bertrand, but they're certainly not shoo-ins.
    Actually I think jwp -the myth of him anyway would have a lot of takers if we are talking players other premier league clubs and fans wouldn’t mind having.. think he has a lot of people fooled bar the saints fans who have to watch him every week .. people see the beckham esque technique and hear the hype and believe it.. look at the way the sky commentary and pundits always big him up..

By top level though I was meaning more like when we used to have the mane and van dijk, lallana alderweireld etc really top class players big six clubs would go for... of our lot only maybe boufal and djenepo are probably capable

To be honest I’m starting to feel on the fence with Ralph it’s probably worth giving him some more time but I’m starting to wonder about him. Quite a lot of strange decisions coming from him really packed off Cedric on loan last season with the excuse of throwing valery constant game time.. now Cedric has came back and it seems to be valery finding it hard to make the team..
    Then we have the weird team selections this year playing full backs on the opposite sides. Dropping boufal who had been our most consistently decent performer this season. If you make decisions like this and they pay off suppose you gotta say fair play but they haven’t and have contributed to lost points and worse performances..

Also think Ralph needs to take some responsibility for the danso situation I don’t know whether he knew of him himself with the Austrian bundesLiga connections or he was found by scouts and Ralph just ok’d the deal, but either way this was a priority position Ralph should of been bashing recruitments door down for a centre back so for him to probably ok this deal and now doesn’t see danso good enough to play over our absolute shower of s**t at centre back is extremely strange especially when he is thrown in at lb and rb instead.

Last thing is the pressing game really working for us currently at times it seems when teams break through the intitial pressing it actually leaves our already shocking defence horribly exposed, are we carrying out these tactics well enough and do we have the personnel to play this approach ?? I’m kind of in two minds right now

Last thing is the pressing game really working for us currently at times it seems when teams break through the intitial pressing it actually leaves our already shocking defence horribly exposed, are we carrying out these tactics well enough and do we have the personnel to play this approach ?? Iím kind of in two minds right now
    No we don't. Our midfield of Romeu, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse doesn't have a lick of pace between them. Once you break the press, that's it - the middle of the park is wide open and the triumvirate of slugs can't get back.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    ...the middle of the park is wide open and the triumvirate of slugs can't get back.
    Harsh, but spot on.

46. Default

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    No we don't. Our midfield of Romeu, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse doesn't have a lick of pace between them. Once you break the press, that's it - the middle of the park is wide open and the triumvirate of slugs can't get back.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    Triumvirate, great word, had to look it up though.

It’s not Ralph...or at least with the squad at his disposal it’s not obvious he’s the problem.

The squad is like an emulsion or whey that’s nearing the end of its settling period. The cream has been rising to the top and has been regularly scraped off and sold to the highest bidder. The vat has been topped up with skimmed milk and now, eventually all that’s left in the vat is a diluted, watery mess that is a pale imitation of the rich product of 3-4 years ago.

Les Reed and Woss have milked their cash cow and now all that’s left for Ralph are a set of dried up, sore and barren teats.

The problem I'm starting to see with RH besides the obvious lack of knowledge around his best team, defence & substitutions is that he will often decide a player isn't good enough & has no future in his team without giving them a fair chance & seems he will fall out with them if they disagree about any of his methods whatsoever.

That said I know he is our best bet for the level we are at, no one's going to be begging to come to Saints especially when their hands would be so tied regarding transfers

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

the lack of pace in the middle i hope is clear as daylight to ralph, just as the lack of it was obvious at cb. problem is danso was brought in to address this very obvious problem. the same danso who played at full back at first for no apparent reason and is currently rotting on the bench for consecutive games. Very mind boggling IMO. if he played and failed to impress at cb, we would have had an idea of why he would be benched. but he hasn't played at cb since coming in. why would you bench a player you signed to fix a problem position without trying him in said position.

as for the midfield, trying armstrong instead of jwp seems the only personnel change we could make. apart fron that a change of approach is probs the way to go to fix that issue. encouraging hoj to be more proactive in linking the mid and attack with more forward passes and more vertical runs while dropping rom closer to the cbs is IMO the way to go.

A disturbing article in today's Echo. We are working on trying to improve our goals scored coached by set piece coach Dave Watson allied to Hasenhuttl's endorsement of the JWP expertise at dead ball situations.

If that's their approach they are ****ing idiots, believing in a myth that has produced one penalty goal combined with pedestrian performances littered with mistakes and lacking any awareness. If JWP is the answer, God knows what the question is. We are in deeper mire than was first thought. More of the same is relegation form.