• Clasie
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Wanyama
    • Mané
    • Ward-Prowse

This was the epitome of the game of two halves. We were really dire in the first half and it is debatable whether if the crap referee East had allowed the Long penalty whether we would have had an effective psychological advantage that would have prevented them still scoring the two goals they did before half time. In fact, apart from those two goals, they had hit us decisively on the break so effectively carving us apart that but for a decent save by Forster and poor finishing for the other chance, they could easily have been 4 up, game over.

For all that Koeman made the tactical changes with the two substitutions to commence the second half, it isn't unfair to be critical of his original choice of starters, where Wanyama would have maybe been the more solid choice than Clasie and also perhaps when we were being torn a new one, why tactical changes at the very least were not made halfway through the first half. But it was certainly the case that the substitutions for the second half were incredibly effective, as we looked far more solid with Wanyama as the impenetrable midfield barrier and with the pacey threat of Mane on the break to counter the Liverpool high-pressing plan.

When their third went in, we thought that was it, game over and another rout to follow, but luckily the goal was overruled for what didn't seem clear at the time and we breathed again. As others have pointed out, it seems that the decision was only overruled because Tadic had a moan at the linesman, and it should never happen that the official was not capable of making the right decision without pressure from players. The glory teams do it all the time, so it is refreshing that we obtained a positive outcome ourselves for once.

When our penalty was awarded and Mane stepped up, most around me had an inkling that he would not score it and when he failed to convert it, everybody asked why Pelle had not taken it. But massive credit must go to Mane for not letting his head drop afterwards and being capable of scoring two goals. Pelle's was also magnificent and I can't recall the last time that the ground erupted so noisily when we went ahead. There followed probably the loudest and most together rendition of "When the Saints" that I can recall too. It truly was one of the most memorable games since we got back to the top flight and what with other recent milestones like the Mane fastest hat trick, the Sunderland 8-0, the 4-0 Arsenal thrashing, this will also be long in the memory.

And just to finalise the euphoria, we hear that the under 21s have humbled Liverpool too and that Rodriguez has scored a hat trick. So all of a sudden, Long, Pelle, Mane and potentially Rodriguez have all had confidence boosts and were they to all start firing on all cylinders, wouldn't we have one of the most potent strike forces in the division?

We've beaten each of the 12 teams we've played twice, and none of the 7 we've still got to play.

A very quirky stat

We've done ok against top teams. Man city haven't - only side they have beaten in top 8 or something was us.

2943186de09358f745771f91435ce824.jpg

Was Tadic. One of weirdest things. Ran over gesticulating and he eventually raised his flag as if he had convinced him.

Only worthwhile contribution,

I think there must have been some discussion between the assistant and the referee. Fraser went over first and then Tadic. It will be interesting to see it again later, if I can stay sober that long.

The club still "eroding away" then?

I thought you'd find a way to not celebrate such a fantastic result. Seriously, well done.

well from someone who celebrates the fantastic achievement of finishing 7th 8th or 9th position as reaching for the sky, you no doubt celebrate having a dump.

my comments about not selling such important players are valid.

You may get the Kleenex out the way the team played in the first half, but I obviously have higher expectations than you.

I suggest you go and aim your pointless jibes to others. No doubt you will ring round for the rest of your gang to give you some support. Calling Fry's massive you are needed to help our little playground bully.

Were you there? He worked hard, made few mistakes. Linked play as always

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

yes I was, hence my comment. He worked hard yes but over all he was poor I thought, gave it away far too much. I like Davis, think we miss him when he doesnt play, but today he was poor.

Edited by beatlesaint

This was the epitome of the game of two halves. We were really dire in the first half and it is debatable whether if the crap referee East had allowed the Long penalty whether we would have had an effective psychological advantage that would have prevented them still scoring the two goals they did before half time. In fact, apart from those two goals, they had hit us decisively on the break so effectively carving us apart that but for a decent save by Forster and poor finishing for the other chance, they could easily have been 4 up, game over.

For all that Koeman made the tactical changes with the two substitutions to commence the second half, it isn't unfair to be critical of his original choice of starters, where Wanyama would have maybe been the more solid choice than Clasie and also perhaps when we were being torn a new one, why tactical changes at the very least were not made halfway through the first half. But it was certainly the case that the substitutions for the second half were incredibly effective, as we looked far more solid with Wanyama as the impenetrable midfield barrier and with the pacey threat of Mane on the break to counter the Liverpool high-pressing plan.

When their third went in, we thought that was it, game over and another rout to follow, but luckily the goal was overruled for what didn't seem clear at the time and we breathed again. As others have pointed out, it seems that the decision was only overruled because Tadic had a moan at the linesman, and it should never happen that the official was not capable of making the right decision without pressure from players. The glory teams do it all the time, so it is refreshing that we obtained a positive outcome ourselves for once.

When our penalty was awarded and Mane stepped up, most around me had an inkling that he would not score it and when he failed to convert it, everybody asked why Pelle had not taken it. But massive credit must go to Mane for not letting his head drop afterwards and being capable of scoring two goals. Pelle's was also magnificent and I can't recall the last time that the ground erupted so noisily when we went ahead. There followed probably the loudest and most together rendition of "When the Saints" that I can recall too. It truly was one of the most memorable games since we got back to the top flight and what with other recent milestones like the Mane fastest hat trick, the Sunderland 8-0, the 4-0 Arsenal thrashing, this will also be long in the memory.

And just to finalise the euphoria, we hear that the under 21s have humbled Liverpool too and that Rodriguez has scored a hat trick. So all of a sudden, Long, Pelle, Mane and potentially Rodriguez have all had confidence boosts and were they to all start firing on all cylinders, wouldn't we have one of the most potent strike forces in the division?

And Austin too. I must admit that I had forgotten about him.

I think there must have been some discussion between the assistant and the referee. Fraser went over first and then Tadic. It will be interesting to see it again later, if I can stay sober that long.

It was right in front of us.

i don't know if the lino flagged initially, though I think he must have.

However, after that the flag stayed by his side , and he seemed happy to let the goal stand,until Tadic came over and seemed to demand that he put his flag (back )up.

As soon as he did, the ref disallowed the goal.

Thats how it looked from the Kingsland.

Unbelievable.

Surely if the lino thinks it is offside he just has to keep his flag raised ?

Today highlighted perfectly why imo we need to make signing a new no.10 in the summer a priority. Davis in particular was shocking today but the midfield as a whole was so slow and ponderous, with no drive or creativity. Yet at the same time they offered little protection for the defense. I've been very critical of Big Vic this season but he had probably his best 45 minutes in a Saints shirt when he came on, and tbh I think he owed us that.

Very strange game but one that will live long in the memory, the celebrations for the third goal were epic, the grazed shins well worth it!

It was right in front of us.

i don't know if the lino flagged initially, though I think he must have.

However, after that the flag stayed by his side , and he seemed happy to let the goal stand,until Tadic came over and seemed to demand that he put his flag (back )up.

As soon as he did, the ref disallowed the goal.

Thats how it looked from the Kingsland.

Unbelievable.

Surely if the lino thinks it is offside he just has to keep his flag raised ?

Very odd

Ref definitely gives the goal.

Didn't see Lino immediately but I noticed tadic run all the way over to him - taking several seconds - and the flag was only raised after that.

Did the 4th official call it?

The Lino did remain in position tho. That isn't normal after a goal is given is it? Maybe he had a chat with the ref? But shouldn't he have put his flag up and then discussed it??

If anyone doubts what Vic brings then 2nd half today should put that right.

I don't think that anyone doubts what he is capable of bringing to the team - its just that he hasn't always done it this year. He was at his very best today. More of the same please.

IMHO it was not one of his best games but not as bad as you are implying.

He wasn't the only one to be fair but our passing was **** poor today (especially first half) so many of our attacks broke down due to players putting passes to far in front of or behind the open player. He worked hard and closed down well enough but his passing wasn't up to his normal standards.

Very odd

Ref definitely gives the goal.

Didn't see Lino immediately but I noticed tadic run all the way over to him - taking several seconds - and the flag was only raised after that.

Did the 4th official call it?

The Lino did remain in position tho. That isn't normal after a goal is given is it? Maybe he had a chat with the ref? But shouldn't he have put his flag up and then discussed it??

It wouldn't have been the fourth official, he's not allowed to get involved in match decisions. There must have been sent me discussion between the ref and his assistant, who seemed to raise his flag in slow motion.

I'm struggling. In the kings land by the touch line.. It was the most blatant pen and sending off all season. If it had happened in the 80th minute it would have been given no question. Dreadful dreadful refereeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well from someone who celebrates the fantastic achievement of finishing 7th 8th or 9th position as reaching for the sky, you no doubt celebrate having a dump.

my comments about not selling such important players are valid.

You may get the Kleenex out the way the team played in the first half, but I obviously have higher expectations than you.

I suggest you go and aim your pointless jibes to others. No doubt you will ring round for the rest of your gang to give you some support. Calling Fry's massive you are needed to help our little playground bully.

All I can say is I have thoroughly enjoyed lots of seasons in my lifetime, this being one of them, whereas you judge every single season for the last thirty years as mediocre or worse.

Such a strange way to support a football club.

Have to say still buzzing after that, I guess that's why we like football. Most of the events have been covered above, that as one singing of OWTS with no stand lag was immense.

One bit I did enjoy was being delivered onto the plains of Africa, Lallana has the ball and Vic decides to chase him down like a Big Cat chasing down an Antelope, Lallana was weaving this way and that and Vic just shadowed his every twist and turn, ending up with the ball being passed back towards his own goal.

The Southampton supporters singing the song calling Loveren a c.nt is absouletly disgusting.

This is the first match I have attended in a while and I couldn't believe a whole section of there supporters were singing such a disgusting song about a ex player.

Just wondering whether this had affected Loveren and that's why Klopp made the substitution.

I am just glad I hadn't taken my son to the match because I wouldn't want him to here that.

So what about the abuse directed towards Sterling? Doesn't count, right?

Such a precious club, they do my head in. They are so above everyone else in their distorted minds.

The people who sit around me went to leave when they scored their 'third', kind of wish they did as they always leave on 80/85mins and would have served them right for all those times!

A few people were so annoyed by the first 45 minutes they left at half time. Their loss, they missed the best end to a game since Matty stuck the ball in the top corner of the goal at the Milton End.

He always turns up against the big sides and looks good it's against the Westbroms, Stokes and Norwichs of the league that he hasn't done well this season.

Vic is the archetypal big game player - didn't he singlehandedly best Barcelona when at Celtic?

love the image of RK running down the line with his hands in the air! Also, two observations.. Firstly, Pelle did really well to win the ball in the air in the build up to his goal. Secondly, kudos to JWP for showing great strength in the build up to the third... it's part of his game he really needs to improve on and got us a goal today.

"The Southampton supporters singing the song calling Loveren a c.nt is absouletly disgusting.

This is the first match I have attended in a while and I couldn't believe a whole section of there supporters were singing such a disgusting song about a ex player.

Just wondering whether this had affected Loveren and that's why Klopp made the substitution.

I am just glad I hadn't taken my son to the match because I wouldn't want him to here that."

So what about the abuse directed towards Sterling? Doesn't count, right?

Such a precious club, they do my head in. They are so above everyone else in their distorted minds.

If he's affected that much by some singing then he's a lot softer than he ought to be. And Klopp's decision to sub him was a major factor in our second half success.

Weird game. I was convinced we wouldn't score 3, even when we didn't panic at 2-0 down and reverted to our best formation of 4-2-3-1 at half time.

Wanyama and Romeu in front of the back 4 closed down the space we'd given Coutinho in the first half and he drifted out of the match and as a result stopped pressing when we had the ball, which had been one of the problems in the first half because he was working his guts off without the ball. Mane coming on also changed the game, Liverpool had something to think about other than just defending headers and waiting for Pelle to backheel it to them.

Wanyama's run to the corner was hilarious, but it's going to take more than that to get me back onside after his indiscretions this season. Ward-Prowse looked possessed when he came on and was lucky not to get booked for three reckless challenges, but it was nice to see the effort. Somehow I managed to be not that impressed with us winning and didn't even jump around for the third, I should have been delirious but Sunday and knowing we couldn't celebrate properly took it out of me. Shrugged at Lallana at the final whistle. :D

"The Southampton supporters singing the song calling Loveren a c.nt is absouletly disgusting.

I am just glad I hadn't taken my son to the match because I wouldn't want him to here that."

If he's affected that much by some singing then he's a lot softer than he ought to be. And Klopp's decision to sub him was a major factor in our second half success.

I personally hope he's effected a lot more by a guilty conscience. deserves everything he gets after his behaviour towards the club that saved him from a career that was going nowhere fast.

Brilliant match, we rode our luck with their third 'goal' and the Benteke miss, and made our own problems , but forget all that and enjoy the sore throat - it was one of those once a season days.

I don't recall a 'top club' tiring so badly at about 70 minutes, but we took advantage, and how !!!

Brilliant match, we rode our luck with their third 'goal' and the Benteke miss, and made our own problems , but forget all that and enjoy the sore throat - it was one of those once a season days.

I don't recall a 'top club' tiring so badly at about 70 minutes, but we took advantage, and how !!!

Benteke looked to be offside but the flag stayed down. A LOT of the Itchen were having a go at the lino for that one, he looked a couple of steps ahead of the last defender.

i've just got home. Got off the train at the nearest town with a cheap 'spoons pub, one stop from home in a PO postcode, then got back on a pint (or two?) later. Wheeee! Plus my team won 3-1 without me in goal! That's harder to believe! Grins all round!

Benteke looked to be offside but the flag stayed down. A LOT of the Itchen were having a go at the lino for that one, he looked a couple of steps ahead of the last defender.

He wasn't though, he was past Bertrand but Fonte in the middle played him on having watched it back.