Saints 0-2 Arsenal - Reaction

Lighthouse

Man of the Match v Arsenal  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Saints Man of the Match from the Arsenal game?

• Alex McCarthy
    • Yan Valery
    • Jack Stephens
    • Jan Bednarek
    • Ryan Bertrand
    • Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Michael Obafemi
    • Danny Ings
    • Kyle Walker-Peters
    • Shane Long

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/06/20 at 19:00

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

10 home defeats from 16 games and we’ve still got City to come. Has anyone ever stayed up with a home record that bad before? I doubt it.

It's ridiculous that we're as safe as we are with that home record.

This has to have been the worst possible season to have a season ticket.

Same old non-event at home really. If it carries on like this the stadium will look like that even after restrictions are lifted! 

Really fed up with Valery still in the team, the bloke is out of his depth and shouldn't be anywhere near.

Don't want to jump on the McCarthy bandwagon as he's been pretty solid for us throughout the season, there are bigger issues through this side apart from him.

Our home form is ridiculous though, they should pay us to return once it's all back to normal.

1 minute ago, Jimmy_D said:

It's ridiculous that we're as safe as we are with that home record.

This has to have been the worst possible season to have a season ticket.

To be honest, the previous two have been pretty diabolical as well. Certainly not worth the upwards of 1.5k I've shelled out!

Sorry but Valery was really not very good (is not very good) against Norwich and should not have started. Destabilised the back four. McCarthy's distribution has always been Division One and that was Conference, frankly. Obafemi does absolutely nothing but lollop around with his chest out giving the big I am without giving anything to the team. Hojberg continues to play like he really believes he should be playing for Spurs if only he could get better at this playing football/passing accurately lark. Too many long balls easily cleared. Not enough attacking the man and forcing things (ooh, it was hot), and generally idealess in the final third. That said, had good patches, without really offering anything. Always very frail at the back and looked like conceding, and not enough quality interplay between midfield and attack. Ralph picked the wrong team, they made mistakes, we weren't very good, and we will doubtless give our fans another coronary as we leave it very late to scrape that last three points.One day we will not do this. But I suspect I may not be alive to see it. Roll on getting outmuscled by Troy Deeney in the next one. Boo

Sorry but thought we were pretty rubbish to be honest.  Apart from the first five to ten minutes we did nothing of note in the first half, and then concede from a complete brain fart from our keeper. Even in the second half we had lots of the ball but caused them problems once, rarely were they under any real pressure.   We had the chance to try and kick on after the lock down restart and get ourselves up the league.   We're safe but it looks like it's going to be our customary limp to the line with about 41 points I would guess. 

Edited by Micky

Also I'd say that was a typical Hojbjerg performance too, and that's why not too many are bothered to see him go. Sideways, backwards, putting team mates into shit positions with under hit passes.

He shouts and waves his hands a lot though. He's been a prime issue with our dreadful home form over the last 3 years.

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

10 home defeats from 16 games and we’ve still got City to come. Has anyone ever stayed up with a home record that bad before? I doubt it.

Feel for STH's, no value for money there.

9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

This season is remarkable for the fact we've been better away than at home. Significantly better. Has that ever happened before? If it has I certainly can't recall it. 

Well thats more like business as usual. Tbh we are laying into the likes of Hoj and Valerie etc, but apart from a handful at most this squad is dire throughout. Without Ings we would been relegated already. We are truly awful and god knows why ralph signed a new contract unless he knows something we don’t.

3 minutes ago, Halo Stickman said:

I’d prefer not to see Højbjerg playing for the remainder of our season; he is so overrated, especially by himself, and his sloppy back passes put us under pressure for both their goals.

His pass for the first goal was fine, can’t blame him for that one. But he was poor throughout tonight.

Best atmosphere at St Mary’s for ages though, the crowd never stopped singing.

• Haha 1

Dreadful all round really, barring a couple of exceptions.

I think the team needs a good shake up for the Watford game. Valery, Hojbjerg, Obafemi all deserve to be dropped. I personally don't wanna see Hojbjerg in a Saints shirt again. His commitment has been non existent in the last couple of games, along it's making very basic errors. Time to give Smallbone a proper run of games.

4 minutes ago, Halo Stickman said:

I’d prefer not to see Højbjerg playing for the remainder of our season; he is so overrated, especially by himself, and his sloppy back passes put us under pressure for both their goals.

Sorry but no way did his "sloppy back pass" put us under pressure for the first goal. That was a routine back pass to a gk under absolutely no pressure who then proceeded to fuck up. Don't disagree that Hojberg shouldn't play again though, don't see the point in him doing so.

Just seen the replay of the Jack red card to criticise him for playing Aubameyang onside is bang out of order, firstly Hoj plays the ball through so no chance of offside, Jacks body language is how is that ball coming my way??

Saints the gift that keeps on giving.

Ah well pretty sure we have the life belt already packed on the coach for Watfords hopes

2 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Sorry but no way did his "sloppy back pass" put us under pressure for the first goal. That was a routine back pass to a gk under absolutely no pressure who then proceeded to fuck up. Don't disagree that Hojberg shouldn't play again though, don't see the point in him doing so.

Rubbish. He had no idea what was behind him. He had his back square to their goal.

His positioning was wrong.

Just now, cloggy saint said:

I can't say I'm too bothered by the rest of this season.  We're not going down so let's limp to the line and hopefully do some good business in the summer.

It would be nice to finish on a decent note though, with a bit of optimism! Especially at home, if we end the season at home like this then getting fans back is going to be impossible. Don't expect too much business in the summer from anyone, especially us - probably a few loans here and there, maybe that freebie RB from WHU? (I'd be quite happy with him if we have a chance)

Our budget will be solely dictated on what we can sell PEH for, which will probably not be a great deal. I'd like to believe we're about to rebuild the side, but there's no evidence of that as we don't have an owner who will enable the finances to do that, and the current climate won't help either.

Very disappointing from Saints and a thoroughly deserved, easy win for a very average Arsenal side.  Arteta tactically spot-on which is no great shock as we are dreadful and predictable at home.

Felt RH picked the wrong team to start pre-game and we were tactically poor throughout.

The playing squad and management team need to grow a pair & stop blaming the fan's for their own incompetence 3 seasons in a row at home.  They are lucky that anyone bothers to pay and turn up at all.

We have take a drastically different approach at St. Mary's as this run will ultimately relegate us sooner rather than later.  

That was self inflicted. It's been obvious all season what has been wrong at home. The opposition back off goal side, the midfield and defence play five yard slow tippy tappy, get closed down and McCarthy thinks he's a footballer. The solution play early balls forward, don't pass back to McCarthy. If he does get the ball just smash it downfield. Bednarek and Hojbjerg were just as much at fault for the first goal. Hojbjerg dropped Stephens in it with his rediculous ball and got him sent off which then led to the second.

Hojbjerg is just deluded if he thinks he can play for a top team. He is not a good footballer, a poor reader of the game together with poor judgement and poor passing isn't really the answer for us let alone a top team.

I was surprised Valery played since he was the worst player on the field against Norwich. I thought Long should have started. KWP wasn't too bad when he came on and we looked better with Long.

We have to stop the poor man's impression of Man City at home which has led to the worst home record in the division. We have to force the pace at home, we have decent forwards so get the ball up to them quickly. Saints reminded me tonight why it's not worth paying to watch at SMS until they change the way they play.

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Also I'd say that was a typical Hojbjerg performance too, and that's why not too many are bothered to see him go. Sideways, backwards, putting team mates into shit positions with under hit passes.

He shouts and waves his hands a lot though. He's been a prime issue with our dreadful home form over the last 3 years.

Yep think you are right - he charges around like a bull in a china shop

8 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Have a look at the passage of play 30 seconds before it

Valery just looks so timid. PL a hard place if you are so short of confidence and experience.

Bednarek is shocking on the ball, always plays crap passes and gives the ball away when trying anything difficult.

Ralph subs telling - he has a relatively small pool of players he trusts and without Djenepo there was nobody to really add anything, which is quite damning when you have 9 subs to pick from. Clearly the likes of Adams has no future here.

12 minutes ago, derry said:

That was self inflicted. It's been obvious all season what has been wrong at home. The opposition back off goal side, the midfield and defence play five yard slow tippy tappy, get closed down and McCarthy thinks he's a footballer. The solution play early balls forward, don't pass back to McCarthy. If he does get the ball just smash it downfield. Bednarek and Hojbjerg were just as much at fault for the first goal. Hojbjerg dropped Stephens in it with his rediculous ball and got him sent off which then led to the second.

Hojbjerg is just deluded if he thinks he can play for a top team. He is not a good footballer, a poor reader of the game together with poor judgement and poor passing isn't really the answer for us let alone a top team.

I was surprised Valery played since he was the worst player on the field against Norwich. I thought Long should have started. KWP wasn't too bad when he came on and we looked better with Long.

We have to stop the poor man's impression of Man City at home which has led to the worst home record in the division. We have to force the pace at home, we have decent forwards so get the ball up to them quickly. Saints reminded me tonight why it's not worth paying to watch at SMS until they change the way they play.

I genuinely don't understand how you don't see that the game has moved on from "lump it up to the big man" and "a pass backwards is SCANDALOUS RETREAT".

Hojbjerg quality of pass wasn’t the issue for the first goal - his decision to pass it immediately back towards our goal (twice) was. How can we play with a CM who has absolutely no awareness of what’s around him whatsoever, and does not possess the ability to turn on the ball. Twice he was given the ball and with no shoulder check he bounced it straight back to our goal - the first one was unforgivable, he had all the time in the world and a turn would’ve put us on the front foot and acres of space. Absolutely pathetic, drags our team down and is hugely culpable for our poor home form - he does not suit a possession game one bit. Good riddance.

14 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Have a look at the passage of play 30 seconds before it

Will do. I will admit I wasn't concentrating that hard on the 'action'. Whatever it shows though (and I am prepared to accept he should have been looking forward and to pass forward rather than back which is what I think you are alluding to) it will never excuse what McCarthy went on to do.