James Ward-Prowse

saintwbu

• 2 weeks later...

Stepped up, like Jack Stephens has. He wasn't horrendous like Stephens, but was periphial, only ever really impacting 1 in 5 games or so.

Now he's a true leader and really coming to the fore under Ralph. Would be fantastic to see him get an extension.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Have we still not announced this contract extension? Maybe it never happened or we’ve furloughed half the club. 

it does seem a bit bizarre - 2 weeks ago it came up on the official Saints facebook post - looked on the OS - nothing - looked on here - nothing. 

Maybe the PR department got excited and had a premature moment.

Great news. He’s basically been in every manager’s first team reckoning since the day we got back to the Premier League, and he’s improved so much in that time. I genuinely hope we keep him for the duration of his career, but he’s probably one more good season away from being hunted by the big boys. Still if he becomes our “Mark Noble” and stays for life, surely he’s banner material next to Lambert.

Oh, there’s no banner anymore. Meh.

He's essential to our midfield and the perfect Ralph player given his high energy and now more consistent showing of his much lauded technical ability. I must admit that I've not always seen his qualities and that for a long while I thought that his best game in a Saints shirt was his first Premier League match against City, however he's certainly proving me wrong now.

Hopefully not a five year deal, like the one Lallana signed just before leaving.

44 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Great news. He’s basically been in every manager’s first team reckoning since the day we got back to the Premier League, and he’s improved so much in that time. I genuinely hope we keep him for the duration of his career, but he’s probably one more good season away from being hunted by the big boys. Still if he becomes our “Mark Noble” and stays for life, surely he’s banner material next to Lambert.

Oh, there’s no banner anymore. Meh.

He was rumoured to be on his way when Hughes was here. Good job Ralph took over when he did.

16 minutes ago, krissyboy31 said:

He was rumoured to be on his way when Hughes was here. Good job Ralph took over when he did.

Wasn't it Watford that were supposedly interested in him if I remember correctly? Very glad he has signed, as mentioned above - come a long way over the last season or so! 

Good interview with him on the OS: https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-08-17/video-james-ward-prowse-new-contract-southampton-football-club

Interesting that he says a couple of times that this is the "most excited" he's been pre-season for several years given where the club is now.

Don't think he'd be talking in such exhuberent terms if there were issues about ownership, squad budget, etc, hanging over the club. What with this and Ralph signing a new deal recently too, surely this gives some kind of indication that something promising is happening on the ownership side of things? (Reading between the lines I know.....)

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Good interview with him on the OS: https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-08-17/video-james-ward-prowse-new-contract-southampton-football-club

Interesting that he says a couple of times that this is the "most excited" he's been pre-season for several years given where the club is now.

Don't think he'd be talking in such exhuberent terms if there were issues about ownership, squad budget, etc, hanging over the club. What with this and Ralph signing a new deal recently too, surely this gives some kind of indication that something promising is happening on the ownership side of things? (Reading between the lines I know.....)

Probably a personal element to that, first preseason he's been the captain and a guaranteed starter.

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Probably a personal element to that, first preseason he's been the captain and a guaranteed starter.

Aye, probably, although he did add: "... and that's not just because of my own personal situation, its about what's going on at the club as a whole" (paraphrasing / words to that effect)

Edited by trousers

14 minutes ago, trousers said:

Aye, probably, although he did add: "... and that's not just because of my own personal situation, its about what's going on at the club as a whole" (paraphrasing / words to that effect)

He must have bought a new shirt and had the logo peel off already. 

Great news this. I've always liked him, but he has definitely improved his game under Ralph. Despite always liking him I thought he was a bit weak in the tackle, but he has added a much tougher streak to his game. A bit more nasty if you like, without being over the top. And our performances with him as Captain speak for themselves. And now if any of the "bigger boys" come sniffing (which wouldn't surprise me) we can put a much higher price on him. More positive news.

Edited by Saint Keef

He's come on leaps and bounds under Ralph. Ralph is a manager who appreciates his technical ability and his tactical awareness, he's a very clever player in a football brain sense. He is very much what you'd call a teachers pet kind of player, but he's perfect at putting Ralphs game into action ( when the press, how to be positionally etc).

He's not that strong, he's not that quick, but he's learnt to read the game very well and he's agile enough on the ball to be able to receive and pass quite quickly, whilst retaining the tempo.

Towards the end of last season he was dictating games for us and that's something I've not seen him do before. It looks like he's grown with the captaincy and this will hopefully allow him to flourish even more. There have been comments from people in the past that he's 'not established' himself as a set starter, but without question - for me - he's one of the first names on the team sheet nowdays.

He's certainly our most technically gifted midfielder in my opinion, he can play in the pivot now or he can play in a 3 to the right hand side quite adept. Very good player for a (Good) manager to have in the squad. How Mark Hughes treated him says everything about his management and awareness of football.

Good news all round this one.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Really pleased. Kind of weird how slow the OS is on reporting these things though - this was in the Telegraph about a week ago, no?

I think everyone has just been having a break, to be honest. Pre-season has started again now, so we're starting to see the news trickling out.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I think everyone has just been having a break, to be honest. Pre-season has started again now, so we're starting to see the news trickling out.

Exactly.  Agreement was probably done but they need all the bells & whistles to go with it. 

1 minute ago, saintquin said:

Am I correct in thinking next year he would be entitled to a testimonial?

And will still only be 26!

Do they even do these anymore? Used to be a nice little earner for the player before retirement! Wages have changed that slightly. Suppose they could do it for charity.

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

Do they even do these anymore? Used to be a nice little earner for the player before retirement! Wages have changed that slightly. Suppose they could do it for charity.

You very rarely get players staying anywhere long enough to earn one these days. Wasn’t there a bit of a scandal down about a year ago down the road that a player had had a testimonial but 6 months later still hadn’t been paid the money by Pompey. 

14 hours ago, saintquin said:

Am I correct in thinking next year he would be entitled to a testimonial?

And will still only be 26!

We'd build him a statue at St Mary's, if we're anything like Man City, who are doing it for Vincent Kompany, David Silva and potentially Sergio Aguero! 🙄

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

We'd build him a statue at St Mary's, if we're anything like Man City, who are doing it for Vincent Kompany, David Silva and potentially Sergio Aguero! 🙄

TBF each of them is worthy of a statue given their impact on City’s history and the honours they’ve achieved. If they’d contributed exactly the same but one played in the sixties, one in the eighties and one in the nineties, nobody would be batting an eyelid at them erecting a statue.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

TBF each of them is worthy of a statue given their impact on City’s history and the honours they’ve achieved. If they’d contributed exactly the same but one played in the sixties, one in the eighties and one in the nineties, nobody would be batting an eyelid at them erecting a statue.

The bloke who has done the most for that club and who deserves a statue is whoever persuaded the qatar government to invest in City. Without him they would still be a mediocre Premier League team more concerned with avoiding relegation than with trophy winning.

On 20/08/2020 at 23:44, SNSUN said:

Yeah, exactly the same . 3  of their greatest ever players, who’ve won the league more than once. As opposed to an average midfielder who wouldn’t get in our top 100 of all time. 

14 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

The bloke who has done the most for that club and who deserves a statue is whoever persuaded the qatar government to invest in City. Without him they would still be a mediocre Premier League team more concerned with avoiding relegation than with trophy winning.

Agreed. Nottingham shouldn’t have the Brian Clough statue, they should have a statue of the bloke that persuaded him to take over. I’m also lobbying Southampton to remove the Ted Bates one,  and replace it with the bloke that first got him into the clubs. 

14 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Statue of Cortese it is then!

6 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yeah, exactly the same . 3  of their greatest ever players, who’ve won the league more than once. As opposed to an average midfielder who wouldn’t get in our top 100 of all time. 

Yes, I was actually, genuinely, realistically advocating a JWP statue at St Mary's.  🤦‍♂️ 

Maybe we can build one of Hoedt too so people can take out their aggression before the enter the ground. 🙄 

• 3 weeks later...