January 2021 transfer window

mcbendy

12 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

So, we swap one non-scoring forward for another non-scoring forward, but gain a few years in age....not for me thanks.

King has scored 6 in 100 games in the Championship.

King has scored 48 in 161 games in the Premier League.

May be worth considering that the issue is the League, not the versatile front man?

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Ainsley Maitland-miles.. Cover for FB/CM.
Joshua King.. Cover for number 10/Striker.

Wow... That would be a very good final day if we pull it off. And Long out,.. win win.

Would be a great bit of business - and would be a good move for Long; it's his level these days.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Ainsley Maitland-miles.. Cover for FB/CM.
Joshua King.. Cover for number 10/Striker.

Wow... That would be a very good final day if we pull it off. And Long out,.. win win.

King for Long would be decent. 

I'm not convinced by AMN personally, there's a reason he's about 4th choice LB for Arsenal,, including behind an out of position Cedric. His signing has a feeling of "yeah, he'll do". 

6 minutes ago, egg said:

King for Long would be decent. 

I'm not convinced by AMN personally, there's a reason he's about 4th choice LB for Arsenal,, including behind an out of position Cedric. His signing has a feeling of "yeah, he'll do". 

There’s a reason KWP was about 4th choice rb at spurs.... 😬

• Like 4

Ornstein says "good chance" AMN will choose to stay at Arsenal if he can't join Leicester.

The King/Long deal interesting as King could play any of the front four positions but if I were him I would wait and see what is available in the summer as a free agent.

Full back cover is what is essential today, as it has been since the summer. 

Edited by Dusic

4 minutes ago, saint97 said:

There’s a reason KWP was about 4th choice rb at spurs.... 😬

KWP isn't AMN. Others may see a premier league LB in AMN but I don't. Wing back, sure, but not a left back in a 4. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

KWP isn't AMN. Others may see a premier league LB in AMN but I don't. Wing back, sure, but not a left back in a 4. 

He’s an okay to fill in a couple of games but wouldn’t waste a loan place on him sooner get a proper full back 

8 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Billy Gilmore is class 👌🏻Preying 🙏🏻This happens .

Based on what? He's played one full 90 minutes in the Premier League. The Majority of his games have been against lower league opposition in the League Cup, or against second strings Lower League Opposition in the FA Cup, and one match against a Mid table Russian club in the Champions league.

Edited by Nolan

9 minutes ago, saint77 said:

He’s an okay to fill in a couple of games but wouldn’t waste a loan place on him sooner get a proper full back 

The problem is, we don't currently have the money to sign a proper full back. We need a versatile player to help us until the end of the season at least. AMN would fit the bill IMO. 

I can't see Josh King wanting to join us when he can join who he wants in the summer but he would certainly be an upgrade on Shane Long. 

I also don't think we need Billy Gilmour, especially if we manage to get AMN. Jankewitz should be given a chance now whilst Diallo is out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Based on what? He's played one full 90 minutes in the Premier League. The Majority of his games have been against lower league opposition in the League Cup, or against second strings Lower League Opposition in the FA Cup, and one match against a Mid table Russian club in the Champions league.

Yeah but he’s the kind of player that fits the Ralph mould .. lampard saw the raw talent and under the Ralph umbrella he could pull up trees for us.he’s great going forward and has the work ethic so he’d be a great addition..get him in Ralphy baby !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Grealish and Mings at least will be on wages higher than we will ever pay. Also, how many players have they still actually got that were integral to their promotion? Villa were paying silly wages even for the Championship at the time, so not sure you can state that as a factor really.

True, West Ham sold Haller this window but the fee paid by Ajax just about pays off the outlay for his purchase from Frankfurt (£40m), as they only paid around 25% up front. So yes, even the dildo brothers have come out of COVID better than Gao.

--------

The simple fact of the matter is that we will never go anywhere (Europa qualification and beyond) with Gao in charge and if this self-sustainable model continues we could well find ourselves in big trouble if our manager and best players head to pastures new.

I don't disagree with the self sustainable model in principle, but the facts are that a big initial investment is needed to overhaul the squad before we can even think about resting on our laurels. The squad isn't good enough. The youth aren't good enough.

Our success this season is just testament to the great job that Ralph and our best 11 have done. Hopefully we can see a change of ownership in summer. 

Grealish is on about £120k a week and that was only signed in September so they have only been paying that for about 5 months, no way Mings is going to be on more than JWP or Ings or Forster for example, reports say he's on around £65-70k a week, which is more than in line with our top earners. Reportedly we have offered Ings more than our previous highest wages which are around £70-80k a week, so likely we are offering close to if not the £100k a week figure. 

Villa's wage bill for the 19/20 season was just 23.8 million, ours was nearly £60 million, more than double and we have added new contracts to JWP and Romeu to that, plus the wages of Diallo, Salisu and KWP, whilst struggling to move the high earnings of Forster, Lemina, etc. 

Very clearly even with new signings and Grealish's new contract, Villa have got way more room in their wage budget than us and would have been making more profit from the TV deal than us, all newly promoted PL clubs benefit from this for a few years in the league if they stay there because their wage budgets are still basically championship ones. 

As for West Ham, they spent less than us in the summer, and have their own dead weight problems. so again I don't see the comparison.  Barely any clubs are spending big at the moment anyway.

We are perfectly fine being run sustainably and improving the squad IF we didn't F up so many recruitments. The failures of Hoedt, Lemina, the decline of Forster after getting a massive contract, Carillo, giving Long a new contract bizarelly, Elynoussi etc. are like dead weights on our finances, further squezzed by Covid, we are likely still paying a good proportion of those players wages, last year we were pretty much spamming about £12-15 million a year on players we were not using and haven't been able to recoup much transfer value from, whereas someone like Leicester have been able to successfully sell a player for big money each year to re-invest in the squad and keep improving (Mahrez, Maguire, Chillwell), like we used to do, before we started mucking it up. 

I don't know where you expect this miracle owners from, even Liverpool and Man Utd are run sustainably, they just make more money than us, hence why Liverpool are buying a Preston centre back not splashing on a £40 million one. Even Abramovich is reigning it in, they only spent this much this year because they sold Hazard for like over £100 million and then got a transfer ban. 

Add in FFP which is basically designed to stop sugar daddy clubs from spending, I don't know where you expect this investment to come from and what it's going to be able to achieve in the confines of FFP, we can only increase our wage budget by something like 6% each year or something and we've got so much deadwood draining our budget that we can't sell. 

Plus you have to wonder how much we wasted sacking managers and their staff before Ralph arrived as well. The poor decisions all round between like 2017 and Ralph arriving is the problem, bad signings, bad managers, bad contract renewals have hamstrung our finances. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LeG said:

I think AMN is very much alive. Sounds like we are waiting for Arsenal. Billy Gilmour would be quality. I haven't heard anything on that. BG would take us to 3 domestic loans...so maybe Theo's injury puts him out for the season, and weve cancelled his loan..or we pay a small fee to Everton now and put him on a lower wage? Both valid ways to free up a loan.

AMN would make sense given he can play RB, LB, CM and could also probably play in either of the "10's" if we had noone else. Would be a good acquisition for us in this current time.  It's the only thing I see happening today, don't think there is anything in Gilmour or King personally.

35 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

King would be a decent signing but no chance. He will be able to get himself a cracking move on a free in the summer.

One thing I wonder with King (if there is any truth in it noting Adam Blackmore's tweet) would be whether it would be a 'permanent' move more in theory than reality.

Given he's a free agent in the summer we could sign him 'permanently' but only on a six month contract, meaning King gets back in the Premier League whilst still leaving his options on the table for the summer, and we get him on what effectively equates to a six month loan but without taking up one of the precious domestic loan slots. 

12 minutes ago, Mozz said:

One thing I wonder with King (if there is any truth in it noting Adam Blackmore's tweet) would be whether it would be a 'permanent' move more in theory than reality.

Given he's a free agent in the summer we could sign him 'permanently' but only on a six month contract, meaning King gets back in the Premier League whilst still leaving his options on the table for the summer, and we get him on what effectively equates to a six month loan but without taking up one of the precious domestic loan slots. 

Huh, good point that

13 minutes ago, Mozz said:

Absolutely no chance that having paid a fee, no matter how small, we give him a 6 month contract. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Absolutely no chance that having paid a fee, no matter how small, we give him a 6 month contract. 

Why ?  It could work for both parties. 

We would get premiership experience to support Ings & Adams, loan out Shane Long, King would get back to the Premiership, remind people what he could do (and get a bigger contract in 6 months) or if he liked being with Saints, actually stay for longer. 

I don't think the transfer will happen, but if we exceed our loan limit something like the suggestion would seem to make practical sense. Unless you have some insight that we're not aware of ? 

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Possibly not, but a loan could viably require a loan fee so not outside the realms of possibility that we would.

Just now, WALK DMC said:

Why ?  It could work for both parties. 

We would get premiership experience to support Ings & Adams, loan out Shane Long, King would get back to the Premiership, remind people what he could do (and get a bigger contract in 6 months) or if he liked being with Saints, actually stay for longer. 

I don't think the transfer will happen, but if we exceed our loan limit something like the suggestion would seem to make practical sense. Unless you have some insight that we're not aware of ? 

We're a club that counts every penny because we have to, we're not going to pay a fee for someone who could decide to leave in 6 months time. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

We're a club that counts every penny because we have to, we're not going to pay a fee for someone who could decide to leave in 6 months time. 

I think you're missing the point. To loan you usually pay a fee anyway. In this case we could pay the same fee but sign King on "permanent terms" for 6 months to get past the maximum loan period. Win win. 

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Ralph really doesnt like him, does he? As most others, think he's pretty good going forwards, but not premier league level (as yet) defending. Even if we were going to get another full back, seems like we're not learning from our lessons...

1 minute ago, Dig Dig said:

We won’t win any games with Djenepo at fullback. Complete fish out of water and a pen waiting to happen. Surely there will be someone coming in to provide cover. 

Will need to be quick for them to be registered in time. We've got 30 mins poss?

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Are we certain Romeu & Diallo are out?

Will find out today, but Ralph was fairly sure Diallo and Theo were 'long ones' - whatever that means!

Not sure on Romeu, maybe he'll make it. Might be too quick of a turn around though.

Edited by S-Clarke