Chelsea 3-3 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Man of the Match v Chelsea  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match v Chelsea?

• Alex McCarthy
    • Kyle Walker-Peters
    • Jannik Vestergaard
    • Jan Bednarek
    • Ryan Bertrand
    • Oriol Romeu
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Theo Walcott
    • Danny Ings
    • Che Adams
    • Nathan Tella
    • Shane Long
    • Ibrahima Diallo

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/10/20 at 20:00

Apart from a period in first half when Bednarek could not handle Werner, that was a good away performance against a team most people have down as top four this season.  How many times did we turn them over near the box?  And on another day had one or two of those efforts from Ings and Adams gone in it would have been three points.

Thought Theo had a good second half, never easy to go straight in after international break.  Thought JWP and Romeu were excellent.

This team now has real backbone and doesn’t give up with that late equaliser at Old Trafford and this result both warming the cockles!

• Like 2

Pleased with that, great spirit. Vest is improved this term, Theo lasted 90 and contributed well. JWP good game and strikers’ movement caused Chelsea problems. Defensively some concerns and Bednarek has been really poor. 

‘Scummer’ Sims sets up Donny winner at the rust shed on his Donny debut and watching Exeter in the European Final Rugby which is a cracking game. And they score a try. Happy days

• Like 3

Just now, oldsarum said:

Yes goal and another assist for Adams today

Yep and he's made a number of valuable contributions in loads of matches. He's not the most clinical striker in the world but he's been great value so far for what we paid. For a club the size of saints he's a fantastic option to have. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure about that. My stream was free and in HD all game. 

Mine also included an invite from a Russian girlie called spunknia or something to go round hers, only 5 mins away and into plump 63yr olds apparently.

BT don't give you that.

Great result despite the defensive fustrations. We are not boring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, steve green said:

Mine also included an invite from a Russian girlie called spunknia or something to go round hers, only 5 mins away and into plump 63yr olds apparently.

BT don't give you that.

Great result despite the defensive fustrations. We are not boring.

Ha very true. You're right about not being boring, it's much more fun watching football like this than some of the horrible stuff we've had to endure over the last three years. 

• Like 1

A huge point and a great performance second half, not sure what changed as for the first 20 minutes it was only Chelsea playing any kind of football! Think RH must have just told them to go for it and be more agressive at half time, attack is definitely the best form of defence against Chelsea! Werner looks some player! Ings doesn't look too bad either 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep and he's made a number of valuable contributions in loads of matches. He's not the most clinical striker in the world but he's been great value so far for what we paid. For a club the size of saints he's a fantastic option to have. 

His strength down the channels is excellent and it really opens opportunities for us. He wins balls/competes for balls you feel the CB's have all day long. Look at Zouma for 2-2 for e.g

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

His strength down the channels is excellent and it really opens opportunities for us. He wins balls/competes for balls you feel the CB's have all day long. Look at Zouma for 2-2 for e.g

Exactly. I think some people just take a very surface level at football and see a player who is a little bit wasteful with chances and doesn't score a ton and writes him off because he came from the lower leagues. There's so much more to his game and the assist today was delightful as was the tenacity for the goal. We are lucky to have him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

With the talent on show in that Chelsea side this is a great result.

It's just so nice to talk about football again where its an entertaining game and we have showed some promise and actually delivered. I genuinely lost interest after sitting through so much turgid awfulness over the last few years. Ralph is a great manager. 

• Like 1

Chuffed to bits with that, excellent spirit to fight back twice like that and could have won it in the end.

I think in the first half it was less a case of us being terrible, more that Chelsea were just very good and we struggled to live with them. As should be the case with all the money they have spent. But we were certainly much more composed after HT.

Thought Theo played well and looked a threat in possession, hard to pick a MOTM as it was a real team effort but Rom and JWP ran the midfield in the second half.

I agree Vestergaard has looked much improved so far, however he still gives me kittens whenever he has the ball at his feet!

Well done Saints 😀

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

A much better option than obafemi in my opinion though obafemi isn't without his merits 

30 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We were absolutely terrible when we were losing though, they were pummelling us. Credit where it's due, we turned it around 2nd half, but that first half performance should be confined to the bin!

Surely we've all been watching football long enough to know teams can turn it around even after starting badly? We had some chances first half despite defending badly. Only takes 1 to go in and the whole game changes, as proved by Ings scoring just before the break.

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Also really pleased for Adams who has done a great job in his largely supporting role for Ings. Should shut up some of those Adams bashers. 

But.....

He should of buried that first chance he had. Great team player like Long but if Ings got injured I would be worried.

• Confused 1

A "Ralph demands character" performance.

With goals coming from different players, and JWP and Romeu paying solidly, our areas of major weakness seem to be declining to two - lack of pace in the CDs, and an occasional failure of some players to stay in the game, mentally and physically, for 90 minutes - often costing us goals. Redmond, I'm largely talking about you.

I'm fancying Walcott on one side, Armstrong on the other, and Redmond on the bench until he figures out what's needed from him. Having a left-footed CD would help a lot, but who would partner Salisu? Bednarek may be playing himself out of that opportunity.

We are deeper squad-wise, with a decent range of options to cover injuries and match circumstances.

1 minute ago, Pilchards said:

But.....

He should of buried that first chance he had. Great team player like Long but if Ings got injured I would be worried.

I already said he isn't that clinical but I'd far rather have him than anyone else we have. He's much better than Long. Not sure we would have got anyone better for the money. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

Fantastic point against a team that will be top 3/4 at seasons end.

After a slow start Ralph's got them fired up as I expected he would, the guy is a class act. Would love for him to be here for a few more seasons at least but I think he's going to turn heads this season.

• Like 1

Started brightly and then the quality that multi millions gets you took over. It felt like we could do a Spurs!!!! The fact we played ourselves back into that match (more shots on target!) was great to watch. The cheer that went up for the equaliser was like being at the ground 😂😂 Also, why was Werners handball not looked at by VAR? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Backrow91 said:

Also, why was Werners handball not looked at by VAR? 

They tried to explain on MOTD a couple of weeks ago that the definition of where the 'arm' starts had slipped down from the shoulder; If you imagine a short sleeved T-shirt, if the ball hits the sleeve then it's not handball, I think that's how Gary Lineker described it ( Notwithstanding Big Team Bias - I also thought there was a fair chance of offside in the build up to their 3rd ).

Edited by badgerx16

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

They tried to explain on MOTD a couple of weeks ago that the definition of where the 'arm' starts had slipped down from the shoulder; If you imagine a short sleeved T-shirt, if the ball hits the sleeve then it's not handball, I think that's how Gary Lineker described it ( Notwithstanding Big Team Bias - I also thought there was a fair chance of offside in the build up to their 3rd ).

I 100% thought this but they didnt even check, it looks close with Werner running off the defence

• Like 1

Whatever Hasenhuttl did at half time worked. Werner was mostly taken out the game and we looked much more of a threat. Pleased with Walcotts debut as well. Our defending was poor at times but I can forgive Bednarek one poor game given Werner was up for it today.

1 hour ago, BotleySaint said:

Great attacking play. With a bit more focus at the back we'd have won. Defence remains a problem but great to be the ones getting the late equaliser! 

For whatever reason, defence is a problem for all teams in the Premier League this season.

Shipping 3 goals to that strike-force is no disgrace, irrespective of who may have been to blame.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I 100% thought this but they didnt even check, it looks close with Werner running off the defence

Bednarek played him onside. This sounds "hindsight is 20/20" but a high level CD would have seen what was developing and stepped up, or even stopped still, to play Werner offside.

26 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

... hard to pick a MOTM as it was a real team effort but Rom and JWP ran the midfield in the second half.

I've also found this the last few games, that it's been a real team effort rather than any one outstanding individual.  Nice to see.

32 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

We need to kit out our players with longer sleeved short sleeve T shirts 😉

• Haha 1

Great point, especially after the first half hour. Think we got Chelsea at a good time, they look a shambles at the back. Adams goal was laughable but take it all the same. Bednarek could go from our first choice to fourth choice CB in no time, was poor today

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

He made two mistakes vs one of the best strikers in world football, let's not write him off quite so quickly! 

Im not writing him off, merely pointing out that hes not a given to start now. Thats what we want though. Vestergaard has stepped up, Stephens is still a good option and Salisu is still to come in

1 hour ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Chuffed to bits with that, excellent spirit to fight back twice like that and could have won it in the end.

I think in the first half it was less a case of us being terrible, more that Chelsea were just very good and we struggled to live with them. As should be the case with all the money they have spent. But we were certainly much more composed after HT.

Thought Theo played well and looked a threat in possession, hard to pick a MOTM as it was a real team effort but Rom and JWP ran the midfield in the second half.

I agree Vestergaard has looked much improved so far, however he still gives me kittens whenever he has the ball at his feet!

Well done Saints 😀

Not as much when McCarthy has it seems to have no sense of danger around himself and the bigger picture.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

But.....

Although he's not massively clinical he is clearly a better football player than Shane Long. You can't put them in the same category pal. 

7 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

spacer.png

Long sleeves would probably do !

Is that handball? Fuzzy pic is inconclusive. Handball being below the t-shirt line only, hard to tell from that where the impact of the ball is. Not as clear cut as saying it’s a definite handball. Probably just about, but very very close and wouldn’t be surprised to see the ref not overturn that one had it been reviewed.

Just now, The Kraken said:

Is that handball? Fuzzy pic is inconclusive. Handball being below the t-shirt line only, hard to tell from that where the impact of the ball is. Not as clear cut as saying it’s a definite handball. Maybe just about, but very very close and wouldn’t be surprised to see the ref not overturn that one had it been reviewed.

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Is that handball? Fuzzy pic is inconclusive. Handball being below the t-shirt line only, hard to tell from that where the impact of the ball is. Not as clear cut as saying it’s a definite handball. Probably just about, but very very close and wouldn’t be surprised to see the ref not overturn that one had it been reviewed.

The actual rule is below the level of the armpit if the arms are down by the sides.

Looks like it should have been overturned, albeit a fairly close call.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

The actual rule is below the level of the armpit if the arms are down by the sides.

Looks like it should have been overturned, albeit a fairly close call.

Not sure about that, the talk has been about the T-shirt sleeve rule that IFAB brought in. TV mentioned it as a reason why the Liverpool third goal was chalked offside. I may be wrong but that’s my understanding of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

If it had been Adams in front of Zouma would we be having this discussion ?

• Confused 1