Chelsea 3-3 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Man of the Match v Chelsea  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match v Chelsea?

• Alex McCarthy
    • Kyle Walker-Peters
    • Jannik Vestergaard
    • Jan Bednarek
    • Ryan Bertrand
    • Oriol Romeu
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Theo Walcott
    • Danny Ings
    • Che Adams
    • Nathan Tella
    • Shane Long
    • Ibrahima Diallo

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/10/20 at 20:00

18 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Although he's not massively clinical he is clearly a better football player than Shane Long. You can't put them in the same category pal. 

I think all anyone is saying about Adams is that being our clear second-best option (which he assuredly is) isn't the same as being good.

Personally, I suspect the 15m we paid for him could've been spent on someone with better finishing and technique, but there we are.

The comparison to a young Shane Long seems fair enough to me - what he gives up in pace to a young Long, he makes up for in upper body strength. They're probably about level in finishing from what I've seen.

Edited by verlaine1979
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

3 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

I think all anyone is saying about Adams is that being our clear second-best option (which he assuredly is) isn't the same as being good.

Personally, I suspect the 15m we paid for him could've been spent on someone with better finishing and technique, but there we are.

The comparison to a young Shane Long seems fair enough to me - what he gives up in pace to a young Long, he makes up for in upper body strength. They're probably about level in finishing from what I've seen.

Like who? Which striker was available with better finishing and technique for the money? If you can't name anyone then that's sort of the point. Besides, he's actually a decent player anyway so you're point about him not being good I'm sorry to say is bollocks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Can’t believe that they rip you off like that. We get all the games on DAZN for. CDN $150 for the year. About 100 pounds.

Yes Ottawa, was going to say the same - don't you get DAZN? Get the looby crowd going.

Very happy with that second-half performance and result. Great to be the team scoring just before half-time and in extra time for a change!

1 hour ago, Wes Tender said:

It didn't take long for them to post that video after the finish of the match, did it?. That's the benefit of playing the glory teams; there are lots of plastic fans all over the place wanting to watch them play.

True, but it was fecking difficult to watch with the (lack of) editing. 

Great shift from the lads. I think Lampard got his tactics right playing 3 pacey mobile players upfront and they really should have burried us in the first half. Bednarek was really stuggeling against Werner and Walcott was giving Chiswell way too much space first half. I don't agree with some people on here that he was better than Redmond. Redmond gave Bertrand al lot more support, than Theo gave KWP. Chelsea got complacent on the ball and with JWP, Ché, Romeu and Ings around we have the capability of punishing that. Can't believe the energy these guys give the whole game. Very positively suprised with Vest, and both full back were excellent once again. Nice cameo from Tella.

Good show, and just a pity we didn't put that last cross in for the winner when the big lafs were still up there.

This result is why somebody from the other side of the world brought up on rugby who has never been to a Saints game is on here. Saints paid $4.33 at the TAB for a draw. I picked a draw. Labour won the NZ election by a landslide yesterday. Good days.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wes Tender said:

red It didn't take long for them to post that video after the finish of the match, did it?. That's the benefit of playing the glory teams; there are lots of plastic fans all over the place wanting to watch them play.

Yes. Many thanks for posting that but again we saw the big team plastic bias. From how many angles can they show the Chelsea goals? After watching those "highlights" I am surprised to find that we had more shots and more shots on target than Chelsea.

Don't get me wrong. I am grateful to you for posting these highlights and thanks very much for posting them. After listening to the NBC commentary all afternoon , however, I am probably a bit tired of the media pandering to the plastic big team mentality. 

7 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

https://streamable.com/04imq9

Link to the Vestergaard goal (Don't watch if you're waiting for MOTD and haven't seen it).

Nicked from REDCAFE https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pl-weekend-fixtures-17-10-20-19-10-20.458226/page-26

That could well end up as one of my favourite Southampton video clips. The player celebrations are fantastic. At the time I thought Theo had scored and was so delighted for him.

Edited by Tamesaint

I think Chelsea's deffence might be worse than ours.........!  didn't see that result coming after being 2 down after 30 minutes.

Glad to know we pulled one outta the bag again .  Adams should have had at least 2 possibly 3, it was thoroughly entertaining and we didnt loose.   

• Like 1

Good resilient performance with more than enough quality to warrant a point.

Thought Ings and Adams were excellent (everyone rightly focuses on Ings finishing but his close control is also right up there). Both carried our attack as Redmond and Walcott were relatively subdued. Can see a lack of consistency in our attacking ‘wide’ positions being an issue for the rest of the season (Walker-Peters papered over some of the cracks today). 

Very happy for Vestergaard who’s put in some solid performances. Today was particularly impressive as Chelsea (unlike Burnley) has pace to burn. One swallow doesn’t make a summer and all that but it’s a pleasant surprise, not least as Bednarek has had a shaky start to the season, even after writing off today.

Edited by shurlock

5 hours ago, Pierre said:

Great shift from the lads. I think Lampard got his tactics right playing 3 pacey mobile players upfront and they really should have burried us in the first half. Bednarek was really stuggeling against Werner and Walcott was giving Chiswell way too much space first half. I don't agree with some people on here that he was better than Redmond. Redmond gave Bertrand al lot more support, than Theo gave KWP. Chelsea got complacent on the ball and with JWP, Ché, Romeu and Ings around we have the capability of punishing that. Can't believe the energy these guys give the whole game. Very positively suprised with Vest, and both full back were excellent once again. Nice cameo from Tella.

Good show, and just a pity we didn't put that last cross in for the winner when the big lafs were still up there.

It was surprising that Tella, JWP and co didn't take those late opportunities to put crosses in to pressure the shaky defence and goalkeeper.   Such an enjoyable game though and it was  great in the last 20 minutes or so watching Saints taking the game to Chelsea.  I thought Romeu was our best - all over the pitch, harassing, intercepting and I counted at least 6 incisive attacking passes as well as the pass which turned Zouma around and led to Adam's goal.   Ings and Adams both good, JWP, KWP and Bertrand very solid and fair play to Vesterguard in keeping his nerve after that whirlwind Chelsea start.    Walcott's second half was much improved and he showed his class with those driving runs and crosses late in the game.    Suddenly the season is looking more promising!

• Like 1

So we've now played 5. Two of the "big 6" and three of the "lesser" sides and we are 10th in the league with 7 points. I think the realistic ones among us would have accepted that at the start of the season. We are again competing after a poor start to the season. Fitness levels have improved and we are are scoring late goals rather than conceding them (a sign of good fitness, belief and attitude). We outplayed Spurs in the first half (admittedly we crumbled in the second half) and outplayed Chelsea in the second half.....and on their patch too. Yes there are still issues in defence, but even the "big" teams are struggling to keep clean sheets having spent a damn sight more than us. Today was a great result. Pleased that Che is off the mark for the season - that will help him too. Very pleased overall. 

• Like 4

Role reversal of so many Saints displays. We often dominate the first half and fall away in the second, with many a late goal against at the death. Nice to see we have the gumption to turn a game around in the second half, and nothing quite like an injury time equaliser. 

Defensively naive in the first half I think, particularly from Bednerak. We should have known all about Werner's running and pace as Ralph managed him but they seemed caught out by him, no idea why they were stepping like that and allowing so much space in behind them.

But stepped it up second half, with some help from Chelsea's poor defending.

The pleasing thing is we have Armstrong, Salisu and Diallo to challenge into that team and potentially improve it. 

Also pleased to see Adams get a goal, his pressing and link play with Ings has been very good they are going to cause problems to a lot of teams. 

Hopefully we can put the first two games down to rustiness and not up to speed with the fitness from the short pre-season and the last 3 games are more are level. Still defensively a little suspect (but who in the league isn't at the moment) but seem to be able to cause a threat to anyone. 

• Like 1

Massive massive credit to big Jannik for his recent turnaround - I honestly thought it wasn’t possible.

Agree with Bednarek being dodgy... maybe he’s just having a wobble but he’s looked more susceptible than Stephens at the moment. It’s weird, sometimes it seems we can never have 2 CBS firing at the same time.

Theo done a half decent job in his 2nd debut, he’s still not or never will be a winger IMO but will do a job there. I do feel for him when he had that period at Arsenal playing through the middle and was begging to play there after a brilliant run of form and then got shunted wide again, huge mismanagement of his talents.

tbh, well done to all the team as getting a point at Chelsea after being 2-0 down is no mean feat, however comical their defence was at times.

They’ll be ups and downs this year but I honestly don’t really fear anyone in this league with our side - the first time since Koeman that I’ve thought we’ve got a chance against anyone because we really do have a pop at teams.

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Defensively naive in the first half I think, particularly from Bednerak. We should have known all about Werner's running and pace as Ralph managed him but they seemed caught out by him, no idea why they were stepping like that and allowing so much space in behind them.

But stepped it up second half, with some help from Chelsea's poor defending.

The pleasing thing is we have Armstrong, Salisu and Diallo to challenge into that team and potentially improve it. 

Also pleased to see Adams get a goal, his pressing and link play with Ings has been very good they are going to cause problems to a lot of teams. 

Hopefully we can put the first two games down to rustiness and not up to speed with the fitness from the short pre-season and the last 3 games are more are level. Still defensively a little suspect (but who in the league isn't at the moment) but seem to be able to cause a threat to anyone. 

Also don't forget the kamikaze tactics of the high line

Chelsea net spend this summer was £160m, ours £14m. As ever Saints have to be the better team to combat their superstar signings, massive kudos to Ralph and the team for pulling it together at 2-0 and being the better side in the second half.

Under previous managers we would have folded, the belief we now show is exactly why we’re proud of this team.

Plenty of talk earlier about biased reporting but this clip from The Guardian (yes i know no one reads it😉) is typical of the London media's inherent blinkers.

At the time the commentators on TV were lauding the blind pass from Jorginho that led to their second goal.  The same too on MOTD last night.  I then thought Oriel's pass was near enough exactly the same - and led to Che scoring.  Here's how The Guardian saw both passes:

1. Jorginho swept a glorious ball over the top and Werner lobbed McCarthy before nodding into the empty net.

2. Chelsea’s loss of composure was summed up by Zouma’s failure to deal with a routine punt in the 57th minute.

Cracking last 60 mins though and it's just a shame the game couldn't have lasted 5 mins longer as there was only one team in it at the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

1. Jorginho swept a glorious ball over the top and Werner lobbed McCarthy before nodding into the empty net.

2. Chelsea’s loss of composure was summed up by Zouma’s failure to deal with a routine punt in the 57th minute.

😄

Just watched the highlights again and I'm not sure we are giving Che Adams enough credit for his goal. The speed and determination he showed in keeping the ball in play has to be applauded and he then still had the mindset to pounce on the loose ball and drive it into the roof of the net. Sure, Chelsea were sloppy but the goal does not happen without the speed and sheer determination of Adams.

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Just watched the highlights again and I'm not sure we are giving Che Adams enough credit for his goal. The speed and determination he showed in keeping the ball in play has to be applauded and he then still had the mindset to pounce on the loose ball and drive it into the roof of the net. Sure, Chelsea were sloppy but the goal does not happen without the speed and sheer determination of Adams.

Adams was my MOTM. I have had my doubts about him in the past but all credit to him yesterday, he kept at it with good play throughout the pitch and a well deserved goal. Hope this sets him up for the season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, striker said:

Great reaction after going down 0-2. We were the better side the last 60 minutes. Definitely take the point at Chelsea

It's revealing that the big difference between this season and a year ago is that our best half is now the second half, and ending strong -  instead of throwing points after a winning start.

Yes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malcolm waldron said:

Plenty of talk earlier about biased reporting but this clip from The Guardian (yes i know no one reads it😉) is typical of the London media's inherent blinkers.

At the time the commentators on TV were lauding the blind pass from Jorginho that led to their second goal.  The same too on MOTD last night.  I then thought Oriel's pass was near enough exactly the same - and led to Che scoring.  Here's how The Guardian saw both passes:

Cracking last 60 mins though and it's just a shame the game couldn't have lasted 5 mins longer as there was only one team in it at the end.

Yeh I think it was pretty telling that Werners first goal was great play, apparently not poor defending by Bednerak.

Yet us pressing excellently to rob Havertz and then Adams sliding in a lovely ball to Ings, was talked about more being a mistake by Havertz.

I mean to be fair Zouma and Kepa had a giant shocker for Adams' goal, none of our defenders were close to being that bad for their goals but both balls were pretty similar, the only real difference is Zouma is way quicker than Vestergaard is so got to the ball before Adams and should have dealt with it, whereas Vestergaard easily got outpaced by Werner. The quality of the balls were pretty similar and I'd call them both hopeful punts over the top. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Theo done a half decent job in his 2nd debut, he’s still not or never will be a winger IMO but will do a job there. I do feel for him when he had that period at Arsenal playing through the middle and was begging to play there after a brilliant run of form and then got shunted wide again, huge mismanagement of his talents.

Not disagreeing, though I'm looking forward to seeing Theo play in various positions. Great to have new options in the team. and Ralph will use them well I'm sure.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pierre said:

The best defender in the world would have ben fooled by Werner's dummy - let alone Bednerack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Adams was my MOTM. I have had my doubts about him in the past but all credit to him yesterday, he kept at it with good play throughout the pitch and a well deserved goal. Hope this sets him up for the season.

Che's through ball to Danny Ings for the first goal was inch perfect as well. If they both stay fit we have the makings of a very good partnership up front.

• Like 3

Very entertaining game. Thought Theo was good value and to my mind seemed more switched on than Redmond already. Vest did a great job, but overall our defence just seems to go to pieces at the slightest threat in the box. Have to give Adams credit...he’s starting to look much more the real deal. Bring on Everton with no Richarleson.

I too was one of the handful who coughed up the £15, pretty glad I did (Mrs JBS said as much at the final whistle), obviously not as sharp as some on the intricacies of navigating the t'internet.

Entertaining game and considering the money Chelsea had splurged in the summer, that money talked early on. Ralph had no doubt tipped the lads off on Werner but until you face him in the flesh, all the words in the world are going to leave gaps for a player like him to exploit. Bit like Danny Ings sometimes he squeezes off goals that didn't look possible just before he hits it. I thought even at 2-0 we didn't look that bad, just thought the way the ball was bouncing to Chelsea we looked small in stature as a team in comparison to them, despite being in White which is physiologically a team kit colour to make you look bigger. Despite being 2 down our heads didn't drop as they have in the past, we got busy and Chelsea quickly looked a bit ordinary. And well done Ralph for sticking with Che, last season you could see glimpses that he has football between his ears just at times a combination of trying too hard to score hampered him. The lad is a bit of a unit, strong, powerful and not that slow, his steal and pass to Ings for the opener, if that had been one of the media darlings pulling that off they would have been fawning over it for hours. Like Shearer said on MOTD once we got that goal our confidence shot up.

The not giving up from Che for our 2nd was impressive, I did wonder if he had gone down after Kepas clip whether we would have been awarded that penalty, or if he  hadn't scored it would have been pulled back on VAR. But that level of industry and endeavour from Che is the kind of blood and glory you want to see in a Saints player.

Since project restart (and the first 3 games aside) there is something about the way we now play, one thing is for certain we are blooming fit I guess playing the Ralph way you have to be, which is probably why unlike other teams when we get a new body in they are not propelled straight onto the front line (much to all our frustrations) this is likely due to them not being Ralph fit. With Theo (who I thought played well) Ralph could see that seasoned experience would carry him through the game, and he would likely give a steady solid performance.  I think most of us can see how Ralph wants us to play, last season pre season Martin Keown had an interview with Ralph, and the sideline from PEH was the "we want to be horrible to play against", obviously that fell out the window somewhat. More recently once we get a hold of the game we seem to have a flow that is a bit like Lava, in that when we apply pressure it is steady and relentless - still got away to to go but you can see the idea. What is also interesting is that Ralph is still willing to learn the vagaries of the Premier League, the kamikaze high line from the defenders seems to have been tempered from the first 2 games, but the keep ball we played in the dying minutes on Saturday at 3-3 in Ralphs RBLeipzig days, he would have been demanding the team to get the ball in the box and finish the job off, instead of taking what we have and walk away with the point.

• Like 1