• Romeu
    • Armstrong
    • Djenepo
    • Adams
    • Walcott
    • Redmond
    • Long

7 hours ago, Norfolkinclue said:

I don't think I have ever posted but have been a long time viewer from Minty's Marching In, Saints Forever and now here. Seems a good a day as any to post. Reminds me of the early 80's glory years :)

🙋‍♂️ I haven't posted for ages either. 😎

Had to pop back and share in the joy. It's a bit mad really isn't it? No one really expects us to stay up here or even in the top 6, but there's something about our progress that does leave a little question mark... What exactly ARE we capable of? Especially in another season where no one is running away at the top. 

A clear identity, a game plan, more competition for places, selfless team performances, no egos, good coaching, great team spirit. For me this ranks up there with what Poch achieved, probably better. Certainly better than Koeman, who inherited an already improving squad and just tweaked it IMO. 

If we can stay in and around the European places as long as possible, it'll help us keep our talented players longer, help us attract other top players and help us keep Ralph too.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Wes Tender said:

What a solid performance, and fulsome praise from the commentators about the exciting, entertaining way that we play. Che Adams continues to grow as a scoring force and was ably abetted by Walcott. The midfield continues to be marshaled well by Romeu and Ward-Prowse protecting the defence, who as a result weren't overly troubled and whenever threatened, stood firm. McCarthy was mostly a spectator, but late on produced a world class save to keep the clean sheet. 

We ought to have been weakened by being without Ings and Bertrand, but it didn't seem that way. OK, Ings might well have pounced on one or more of the chances that we created, and Bertrand would have produced more forward threat up the left than Stephens did, but it didn't matter, as we were comfortable throughout most of the match.

Let's hope that the international break doesn't halt our momentum, or produce any injuries, and that instead it benefits us by giving us time for injuries to heal and for team cohesion to improve still further. This is a good team we have, and with great spirit and fitness levels. Hasenhuttl  has done a good job of late and the results are a credit to him and the players, who are doing us proud.

What that fella said

6 minutes ago, Minty said:

Had to pop back and share in the joy. It's a bit mad really isn't it? No one really expects us to stay up here or even in the top 6, but there's something about our progress that does leave a little question mark... What exactly ARE we capable of? Especially in another season where no one is running away at the top. 

A clear identity, a game plan, more competition for places, selfless team performances, no egos, good coaching, great team spirit. For me this ranks up there with what Poch achieved, probably better. Certainly better than Koeman, who inherited an already improving squad and just tweaked it IMO. 

If we can stay in and around the European places as long as possible, it'll help us keep our talented players longer, help us attract other top players and help us keep Ralph too.

Good to see you back. It’s a good question and one I’m sure RH will be trying to answer.

27 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not to spoil the positive mood, but just want to say I fucking hate how often international breaks come around.

I disagree for once.

Need to get some players back from injury plus it’s another two more weeks for us to bed in Salisu even more.

It’s crazy how Everton, Villa and Newcastle say they played poorly against us.

When you have a team playing delightful one touch football plus hunting in packs you ain’t going to get a chance to play your A game.

We are slowly starting to get the respect from some fans as I’ve been viewing on the opposition forums for the last two weeks and they love our style and identity.

Edited by Pilchards

Just now, Pilchards said:

It’s crazy how Everton, Villa and Newcastle say they played poorly against us.

When you have a team playing delightful one touch football plus hunting in packs you ain’t going to get a chance to play your A game.

We are slowly starting to get the respect from some fans as I’ve viewing on the opposition forums for the last two weeks and they love our style and identity.

I’m getting fed up with the constant xxxx team had a bad day when they play us. We make them look bad as they can’t cope with our style of football. 

12 minutes ago, Minty said:

Not sure Koeman inherited an improving squad as we hardly had any players when he arrived.

But agree with the rest, I thought Djenepo yesterday worked really hard for the team which probably reduced his attacking threat slightly but showed what this team is all about.

• Like 1

This what being a saints fan is all about!!! So proud of our team. Ralf and saints fit like a glove. He has made us a better team but it's only because of the attitude of the players. The sum of all parts is great than any one individual. Naturally the media will now link Ralph to every big job going, but (like many posters have pointed out) his system only works when every single player buys in to it and no way in the world will the supposed big stars work as hard as he demands. I get the feeling he really loves being a big fish in a small pond (a little like MLT) and prefers the challenge of developing players rather than signing the finished article. He's a proper coach. I hope he stays with us for 20 years and then becomes our director of football...real Roy of the Rovers stuff!!

The match itself was a master class in how to control a game. Each player a 10/10. Stephens in the first half looked nervous at LB (naturally) but I thought it was interesting to see in the second half that he attacked more and we saw a couple of his trademark 'Maldini' runs. Obviously Ralph had given him a pep talk at half time and the confidence returned.

Well bloody played boys!!! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

I disagree for once.

Need to get some players back from injury plus it’s another two more weeks for us to bed in Salisu even more.

....and if by some twist of fate results go our way this weekend it will mean we were top of the Premier League for the most of November.

There maybe something to be said for International breaks yet!

"Sha, la-la"

Edited by alehouseboys
All together now...

James Ward-prowse and Romeu are currently the best centre midfield partnership in the division, they are everywhere and seem to pop up with a challenge just when it is needed. Protection for the defenders but get involved in plenty of attacking play, I think our success so far this season is a product of this. 

Great performances all over the park though, McCarthy and Walker-Peters must be wondering what they need to do to get an England call up , Che Adams superb last few games, Vestergaard looking like VVD in his prime. 

Good times to be a saints fan , especially pleased for the young nippers I see around wearing their saints tops, easy to be a glory hunter big 6 fan nowdays , they can go into school and be proud. 

Got some tough games coming up so can't see us maintaining this run , hopefully some of our top 4 rivals drop points this weekend.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Not sure Koeman inherited an improving squad as we hardly had any players when he arrived.

I think what I mean is that Poch developed the style and identity, which meant Koeman had less to do tactically. Yes, I accept that he had to recruit players, but the bulk of the squad were well drilled and he didn't have to work on the mentality as much, which I personally think is key to it all. 

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Not to spoil the positive mood, but just want to say I fucking hate how often international breaks come around.

It's crazy how they are going off and playing 3 internationals a month in the midst of this pandemic, especially for pointless matches (the nations league games are basically friendlies).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I disagree for once.

Yeah Pardew said last night on tv the international break has come at the wrong time for us. I don’t see that. The thought of Bertrand being out against a decent team and having Stephens at left back is reason enough the extra recovery time is a bonus. Newcastle were unable to cash in on that fortunately.

And it takes up a week if Ings being out.

Edited by beatlesaint

At 1-0 having dominated and as a saints fan of many years I obviously expected a draw or defeat.

how wrong - completely composed and in control for the 90+ minutes. Outside of the final third our passing and possession control was outstanding. I mean really, properly good.

We do lack a bit of quality in the final third, but with that we’d have scored half a dozen. And the stress and pressure our pressing induces creates enough chances anyway.

Im just too young to remember the early 80s, but the current football is as good as I can recall at any stage I think. Maybe I need to let a bit more time pass before calling that but we look very good at the moment.

My MOTM went to Adams but there were about 6 strong candidates. And that’s without probably our 2 senior pros being fit. Well done all.

22 minutes ago, musesaint said:

Such a shame history was made without fans in the stadium. Though I am starting to wonder if some of our players are actually performing better without the pressures of a full stadium??

I definitely think it has helped the team. Our horrid home record had created an atmosphere which wasn't particularly conducive to the team playing freely. Hopefully the good results will have changed that whenever fans do finally get back in.

Ralph mentioned in his interview “luring” them forward to create channels. It happened time and time again - we pass around at the back, looking a bit risky, they look for a tackle/interception, suddenly one slick pass forward to JWP/Armstrong/Walcott in space and we’re running straight at them whilst they’re still thinking about the press that just failed. Very intelligent football.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shroppie said:

Ralph mentioned in his interview “luring” them forward to create channels. It happened time and time again - we pass around at the back, looking a bit risky, they look for a tackle/interception, suddenly one slick pass forward to JWP/Armstrong/Walcott in space and we’re running straight at them whilst they’re still thinking about the press that just failed. Very intelligent football.

It’s noticeable that our defenders play the ball at the back until they see to play the ball through midfield on the deck to the likes of Walcott, Armstrong and Adams, not that often they hoof it, Vestergaard particularly good at this. See ball to Walcott for second goal at Villa last week.

Mornin' all. I've just put the bottles out, and not milk bottles. 🙂

I'm not voting in the MOTM poll as it just wouldn't be fair. Don't normally wear such stuff out of the house but today I'm wearing my Saints hoody, courtesy of my season ticket voucher. What a shame not to be there last night, particularly after my last wet Friday match and the miserable journey home on the train..

Has anybody done a summary of the results we want for the rest of the weekend??

What a beautiful day. The sun is shining and Saints are top of the league after another very good performance.

Positives;

Ralph is our manager

We play a brand of exciting attacking football which is entertaining and makes us proud

We go into the weekend with three points already banked

Every player is contributing to our success

Another clean sheet

We are fortunate in that every team we play has a bad day (well, according to their managers anyway)

Adams is developing into a player who troubles the best defenders and is scoring some cracking goals

An international break gives more time for our injured players to recover

JWP and Romeu are bossing the midfield and weighing in with shots on goal and goals

Jan must have found Billy's boots (if you remember the comic character)

There is a spirit and togetherness about this team which is always a huge plus

Mark Lawrenson has finally been forced to swallow his pride and start predicting wins for us however reluctantly

Oh and we're top of the league

Negatives

None

Up the Saints!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

City win, Wolves win by 2 and draws elsewhere and we stay top going into the international break.

I can’t be alone in doing that four fold this morning, 60/1, why not!  A better team than Newcastle may have exposed JS at left back a bit more, but superb performances throughout.  Great save at 1-0, Walcott stepping up (and a great interview post match showing his joy at being here) and other new signings still to bed in.  

The long suffering Saints fan in me still won’t be comfortable until we’re over the 40 point mark though, old habits and all that.

I’m happy for the media to focus on the opposition “not turning up” for as long as we can get away with it. I think it takes the focus of our game plan.

take Che’s goal today, or his one against City, or Ings v watford last year (there are loads of examples). Everyone focuses on Almiron trying to do too much, Zinchenko dallying on the ball, Foster poor throw etc etc. The truth is we force these mistakes with our incredibly clever and well rehearsed pressing game. Almiron had nowhere to go as KWP and Theo cut off his options, Armstrong approached Zinchenko on his blind side - the list goes on. We’re like the red arrows reforming as soon as we lose possession.

for me though as long as this is highlighted as defensive mistakes the better, because we’ll continue to catch defenders by surprise. I just love watching this team, love it. 

Fair play to everyone at the club - work they've put in deserves this.  One of the great things is it's so difficult to pick a man of the match as virtually everyone had a blinder - harried, pressured, brave on the ball and helped out their team mates when needed.  Exceptional team performance all round with almost total commitment and, as a fan, you can't ever ask for more than that.

Special mention to Che Adams - have to confess I never quite thought he'd make it (and if you look through my posts I've said that).  Hold my hands up - wrong!  Guy is developing into a cross between Keegan and Mark Hughes with his energy and hold up play.  Might never be as prolific as those two but offers a hell of a lot to us and a justified first name on the teamsheet.

I've been thinking that if you look at a lot of our players it seems to take about a year before they really get to grips with what Ralph wants from them.  Adams, Armstrong, Ings, Romeu, Ward-Prowse and a few others have really started to shine after a year.  Some of that falls into the physical conditioning necessary to play the game he wants but also understanding the tactical aspects as well.  No one else is going to be able to copy this style of play without putting serious work in which is great.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I definitely think it has helped the team. Our horrid home record had created an atmosphere which wasn't particularly conducive to the team playing freely. Hopefully the good results will have changed that whenever fans do finally get back in.

At 1nil, just imagine all the old dears in the Kingsland spitting their Werther's Originals out & ranting at the team off for not hoofing the ball forward at every opportunity :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, musesaint said:

Such a shame history was made without fans in the stadium. Though I am starting to wonder if some of our players are actually performing better without the pressures of a full stadium??

I think we’re top of the league outright since the Covid restart or possibly a point or two behind City

Great result and although our spell at the top may only be for hours it's great testimony to Ralph's working and players some of whom have reached extra heights or perhaps are playing above themselves. Long may it continue.

This is a new experience for an entire generation of Saints fans, enjoy it whilst you can.

Strangely it doesn't feel as momentous to me as when I saw us go top for the first time in our history (1982 at Ayresome Park) but we then had Keegan, Channon and Ball playing for us so there was a feeling that it was 'natural' for us to reach that height. The current squad aren't in the same illustrious band as that team so going top this time feels more' 'deserved' as it's been done through hard work, effort and following Ralph's tactics and style.

26 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Mornin' all. I've just put the bottles out, and not milk bottles. 🙂

I'm not voting in the MOTM poll as it just wouldn't be fair. Don't normally wear such stuff out of the house but today I'm wearing my Saints hoody, courtesy of my season ticket voucher. What a shame not to be there last night, particularly after my last wet Friday match and the miserable journey home on the train..

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/58358-top-of-the-league-on-friday/page/2/#comments

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

At 1nil, just imagine all the old dears in the Kingsland spitting their Werther's Originals out & ranting at the team off for not hoofing the ball forward at every opportunity :)

Its all right. They dominated the match thread. If you read that and missout the bits when we score you'd think that each of our players is a jerk and that we lost the match. Armstrong would never have scored as he is useless and should have been subbed off.

Edited by Tamesaint

As others have said, it is so difficult to pick a MoM with the way the team is playing. JWP for me - I love the way that when he turns in space now he drives forward and it helps that we have (take your pick of) KWP, Armstrong, Walcott, Ings, Adams, Redmond, Djenepo all busting a gut to get into space ahead of him. Even Romeu is carrying the ball forwards now given the opportunity. The point about having no crowd is interesting as I know I would have been moaning about all the side-to-side and pre-meditated backwards passes but not last night. You can see there is a plan - get the ball to Vestergaard in space, draw in the opposition 'press' and then slide the ball into JWP/Rom or an attacker who drops deep in space who then turns and runs at the opposition defence. the same happens when we press and nick the ball. The ultimate slow, slow, punch them in the face. I would have struggled to stay patient before but I loved last night. Look forward to many more comfortable 2-0 home wins where the opposition team 'doesn't turn up'

9 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I've been thinking that if you look at a lot of our players it seems to take about a year before they really get to grips with what Ralph wants from them.  Adams, Armstrong, Ings, Romeu, Ward-Prowse and a few others have really started to shine after a year.  Some of that falls into the physical conditioning necessary to play the game he wants but also understanding the tactical aspects as well.  No one else is going to be able to copy this style of play without putting serious work in which is great.

And the magic ingredient to make that happen TIME.

A year ago everyone was waiting for the trigger to be pulled on Ralph, especially after such a drubbing such is the fickleness of football - Chairman Gao is much maligned (and Chinese hate losing face) but the one thing he got right was not showing Ralph the door (or accepting Ralph’s alleged offer to walk himself). 

As an aside that Karen Carney might be a lass - but the other week she hit the nail on the head when she said the way we play “they drown you”.

Like most posters on here , I can't really pick a MOM, they were all great last night.  It is a real pleasure to watch such a brave team.  Looking at the comments on the Guardian site, a lot of neutrals thinks so too. 

I wish Theo had curled that first half chance in the first half  as it would have been a classic Ralph goal, win the ball on the right move it slowly across into the middle, and then BANG, an outrageous flick from Djenepo shreds the Newcastle defence.  

13 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Like most posters on here , I can't really pick a MOM, they were all great last night.  It is a real pleasure to watch such a brave team.  Looking at the comments on the Guardian site, a lot of neutrals thinks so too. 

I wish Theo had curled that first half chance in the first half  as it would have been a classic Ralph goal, win the ball on the right move it slowly across into the middle, and then BANG, an outrageous flick from Djenepo shreds the Newcastle defence.  

I thought he should have played in Che to his left instead of shooting, still, a minor gripe given the overall performance!

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

He has developed into a great player. I bet some where in a Bishops Stotford and older chap is sitting on his sofa with a glass of red and a smile

#les’slegacy

yep enjoying the fruits of Carillo, Hoydt Lemina , etc etc. Forgot not the gratitude we should show Mark Hughes for him demanding we buy Ings

Yesterday was 13 months to the day I left The Dell - sorry, St Mary's - and said to my son-in-law 'that's the worst Saints team I have ever seen' and I watched my first game 57 years ago. A week or so later was the 0-9 and I texted him to say 'told you so'.

I'm not apologising to Ralph and the team but, wow!, ****dy well done! Truly amazing, you are a joy to watch. It is a proper team.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We are about to become the football world's favourite shopping centre once again. 

But these are mainly the same players who were uninspiring and very average a year or so ago. The huge difference is Ralph, who has worked with them (and without the in lockdown) defining complex, intelligent and precise tactics and teamwork. Take, for example, JWP out of this team and put him amongst "star" players who don't think and work as a team and, I would suggest, don't want to put in the effort to get superfit or understand sophisticated tactics, and he'll probably be no more than the player he was two years ago.

Hopefully the same applies to Ralph. At Saints he has a group of players willing to better themselves and work as part of a very effective team. How long would it take to get that going somewhere else?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We are about to become the football world's favourite shopping centre once again. 

This is the thing for me, I don't think we have many superstars that many 'top' clubs will be sniffing around. We are a sum of parts, with everyone buying into the plan and overwhelming the opposition.

The main superstar for me is Ralph and the coaching he is doing here, but I don't see him leaving any time soon. I see Man Utd fans seem to think they can get him now if they ask. No chance. Pretty confident for the first time, it feels as if he wants to repay us for the genuine loyalty and he feels like an honourable bloke - we could have easily put him out on his arse last October.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OldNick said:

yep enjoying the fruits of Carillo, Hoydt Lemina , etc etc. Forgot not the gratitude we should show Mark Hughes for him demanding we buy Ings

Vestergaard starting to look a class act hey pal. Bednarek And Romeu for £5m, the spine of our team down to Les. 

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

By my reckoning:

Today,

Everton v Man Utd - draw or Man Utd win

Tomorrow,

West Brom v Spurs - draw or West Brom win

Leicester v Wolves - Wolves win (by less than 4)

Man City v Liverpool - Man City win

I imagine most of us have been studying the table and the weekend's fixtures after the Newcastle result.  Usually, I like to see other teams draw so that they both drop points but not at the moment.  In order to stay on top a little longer, unless I'm mistaken, the results we need are:-

Man U beat Everton; Wolves beat Leicester; WBA beat Tottenham; and Man City beat Liverpool.  Not much to ask...