• Romeu
    • Armstrong
    • Djenepo
    • Adams
    • Walcott
    • Redmond
    • Long

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Sky pundits fawning over Stuart Armstrong's performance. What the hell do they know, eh...? ;)

He has developed into a great player. I bet some where in a Bishops Stotford and older chap is sitting on his sofa with a glass of red and a smile

#les’slegacy

First time we have won 3 on the bounce since the last Koeman season!

Great win and fully deserved, a clean sheet with Stephens at the back and no Danny Ings, and we still scored two beautiful goals. MOTM for me could have gone to JWP (who was close), Romeu or Walcott but I’m going for Adams. Did not stop working his bollocks off and got the first. We fully deserve to be where we are.

Ratings:

McCarthy: 7 Had little to do but THAT save! I thought it was in.

KWP: 7 Another good game from him, didn’t panic against St Maximin and passing was decent. Didn’t get forward as much as we know he can but when he did, we got the first goal from his efforts.

Bednarek: 7 Solid if unspectacular but had little to do. Could have scored from corner.

Vestergaard: 8 Best of the defenders. Lovely passing and was composed.

Stephens: 6 OK he didn’t get forward but we kept a clean sheet because he kept it simple out of position.

JWP: 9 Was literally everywhere. Works so hard and passing is exceptional.

Romeu: 8 Another game where the 2 midfielders bossed it. Lovely shot that Darlow got tips to.

Armstrong: 8 I agree his passing was iffy and decisions not the best but his work ethic was great and a well taken goal capped it off.

Djenepo: 7 Genuinely looks like he doesn’t know what is happening next but man does he have some tricks!

Walcott: 8 worked hard up top in Ings absence and had a part in both goals. Seems to be a brilliant cheap signing.

Adams: 9 Really worked his testicles off all game and did not stop running. Lovely well taken goal too. 

Ralph: 9 I was concerned when I saw the starting line up but he got his tactics spot on.

We are a really good team now. Enjoy it! TOP OF THE TABLE PEOPLE!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jonnyboy said:

It's not impossible for us to still be top after this weekend. Get supporting all those teams below 6th, particularly the two Manchester teams. 

City win, Wolves win by 2 and draws elsewhere and we stay top going into the international break.

Have to admit I doubted if I’d ever see us top of the Premier League in my lifetime. I’m sure as hell going to enjoy it and would do anything to have been there tonight. 

We were absolutely superb tonight. 

• Like 3

We’ve watched some right wankers the past few years, good players but wankers. This bunch are a credit to the club & deserve every piece of praise they’ve received lately. JWP finally looks a proper player, Vestergaard & Adams have both shown a fantastic attitude to turn their Saints careers around & Theo seems to love being back at the club. Jack Stephens deserves a mention, rough patch of form and out of position, but he did ok. Everyone at least 8/10 tonight.....

• Like 2

Can’t believe all of that post match analysis on sky and there was no mention of that save from McCarthy. 

If that had gone it would have been a very very different last few minutes.

As an aside the dinosaur Souness was giving Lloris grief for leading with his ‘wrong’ hand for the West Ham equaliser the other week - Macca tonight showed exactly why keepers do it some times, for the extra inch of reach

13 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

It's not impossible for us to still be top after this weekend. Get supporting all those teams below 6th, particularly the two Manchester teams. 

Got to hope mid table Man City can take points off our nearest title rivals 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Newcastle were very poor today and played completely different to how’d wed have expected, however, one of the best performances I can remember and if we’d been a little slicker in the final 3rd it could have been 5 or 6. 

Ralph really is a special manager. He’s got every single one of those players giving 100% and whilst not being stand out, being a consistent 7/8 out of 10 week in, week out. 

the front 4 were all fantastic tonight and dare I say it, we didn’t look like we missed ings in terms of creating chances (Theo and Adams looks like they’d been playing together years) and Djenepo very lively as well. 

We look a proper outfit, fit sharp and hungry. I’m not one to get carried away as we still Have the big boys to play but With a weak league this year, who knows what could happen if we get a bit of luck - were just as strong as Leicester were when they won it 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Sing it guys.... 

Just wonderful, can't believe how good some of our play was tonight. It didn't feel like watching Saints at times, that good. Subtle flicks, confident triangles, direct pass and press. All without our talisman and with a prodigy returning and showing his love and desire for the club that helped make him.

Loving this.

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 5

Awesome night. JWP was my MOTM but special mentions for Romeu and Adams too. We should've been out of sight earlier in the game but never looked like losing.

Extra shout to Djenepo tonight too, who I think was tactically deployed to be more conservative and protect Stephens. Really stuck to his task well and a beauty of a flick which should have given him an assist.

Top of the Premier League. Just brilliant.

• Like 3

Absolute class above them tonight, against a team that were set up to make it difficult. 

We’re where we were under Poch/Koeman now. Brilliant to watch, positive, attacking, energetic. A joy to watch. 

Whatever happens this season, it’s been beyond enjoyable. Special mention to Stephens IMO who had to do a tough job at a very uncomfortable position but did his job well. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Amazing. What a difference a year makes.

so gutted we’re not there to see it

Fascinating to hear Ralph's words about playing better without a home crowd.    The results and style of play confirms the suspicion of anxiety/stress during downturns in results, confidence, luck etc. at home during the last couple of seasons.     It's all just a joy to watch at the moment - Adam's finish and general game, the prodigal return of Theo; the Romeu/WP combination; the class of KWP; the bargain that is Armstrong and the improvement of JV.      

Absolutely superb performance from us tonight, especially given we were without 2 of our most important players. Dominated from start to finish and could and should have had more goals.

Thought the front 2 were excellent especially Adams in the first half who set the tone and really stepped up his game to show he can lead the line with Ings out. He looks like he belongs in this league now. Djenepo has his best game for quite a while, and Armstrong was lively on the ball throughout. But JWP man of the match for me, unbelievable energy and a real leader of this team now.

And as for Ralph, it’s incredible what he is doing with these players. To be honest I still don’t think we have a great squad compared to the quality Poch and Koeman had available to them, so it makes what Ralph is doing right now all the more impressive.

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Ralph is class. And he suits Saints perfectly.

And, not wishing to tempt fate, I think we suit him perfectly. Very few of the elite players at the top clubs are willing or able to commit the effort necessary for Ralph's style.

Plus, I think he's an honourable man who places a premium on commitment and loyalty, so I don't see him looking to head out at the first opportunity.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

From the BBC match report...

image.png.eb91f1f6533f25b04455e22df6049362.png

Linked by who? Some pundit somewhere has saw we've gone top of the league and thought "he could be a good fit for Utd".

And that's it - he's being 'linked'.

Genuinely don't know why he would go there at the moment. He wouldn't get the time and patience he has been afforded here. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 3

This is one of the best nights of my life as a Saints fan since my first match at the Dell, a 2-0 win over Newcastle in 1963, and I was at the 1976 FA Cup Final. I can't stop smiling. I've been reading online newspaper reports from all over the world, with headlines, saying Saints are top of the Premier League. It's been a long wait but we got there! I'm grateful to Ralph and every player who was out there tonight for getting us there.

This is a good report:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/06/southampton-newcastle-premier-league-match-report

• Like 6

Wow, that was pretty much the complete performance - and we had a very similar one against Everton.

The press is just too much for teams, they cannot deal with it. I think most teams would struggle to deal with it. When you play us your touch needs to be tight, spot on. If you have a poor touch, a loose pass...we're on them. Everyone knows when to do it and they all go at once, it's like watching some sort of synchronised sport really. They spot the triggers and they go.

The midfield two just work so well. JWP is super human in terms of how much ground he covers, he's certainly not the quickest, but he makes it around the pitch more than anyone else. Romeu was terrific again in that destructive roll...but, he's also very technically gifted when in possession and that cannot be underestimated. His professionalism tonight after that early yellow was tremendous and he really looks like the complete deep CM at the moment.

Take a bow Armstrong though, he is one of the main starters of our counter press and he's pulling their full back around all the time - not through pace, but possessional sense and movement off the ball. He drifts into pockets of space and pulls the opposition players out of position which opens up the entire final third for us.

Walcott through the middle was good - he was direct, took players on and and played between the lines really well (picking it up in that number 10 position a lot of the time). His touch and final moment let him down though, I'm hoping regular football will build that up - because he should have scored at least 1 today. Adams was excellent leading the line once again, he's elusively quick but incredibly strong and powerful - the power he gets in his shots is epic and he will beat a lot of keepers through power alone...so just hit it Che!

Back 4 were decent, KWP excellent particularly. Positionally spot on, didn't get over run or caught out - handled Saint Maximan exactly as you need to, got tight to him quickly and didn't allow him to turn and run with the ball. Kudus to KWP for that.

Take as many screenshots of the table as you can, it will probably not happen again for a long time...and I did often doubt if I'll ever see us top a league, given how poorly we usually start seasons. We have continued our 'Project Restart' form, bar a couple of bumps. We are a top half PL side now and let's see what the season can bring us, lets hope we can get Ings back asap too!

• Like 2

I wouldn’t consider myself a “long time lurker” but before each fixture I always come on here to watch the discussion. 

I am from Canada and my entire life I’ve grown up a diehard ice hockey/basketball/baseball fan and never really watched football yet I always played Fifa.  A few years ago I randomly decided to pick Southampton as my favourite team but I never actually got into watching them since where I live the only way to watch games is to stream them. During the pandemic, the EPL was one of the first sport leagues to come back so I decided to chalk up the money to buy a DAZN subscription so I could watch. I wasn’t sure how interested I would be but I’ve quickly fallen in love with football! It’s honestly fascinating to myself how quickly Southampton have made me enjoy watching football so much. 

So I haven’t been here for very long and have not endured much so I just wanted to give a huge cheers to everyone here and say you guys are such an awesome fanbase! 

• Like 38

Absolutely bossed it. Thanks Saints, I remember 32 years ago, not sure I'll be around if I have to wait another 32 though, so will make the most of the next few hours.

The confidence in the team is incredible considering the recent journey. Would have loved to have been there but I do wonder if the confidence to play it around in such tight spaces in our own half would be there with a nervous St Mary's crowd holding it's breath?

• Like 1