• Romeu
    • Armstrong
    • Djenepo
    • Adams
    • Walcott
    • Redmond
    • Long

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is the thing for me, I don't think we have many superstars that many 'top' clubs will be sniffing around. We are a sum of parts, with everyone buying into the plan and overwhelming the opposition.

The main superstar for me is Ralph and the coaching he is doing here, but I don't see him leaving any time soon. I see Man Utd fans seem to think they can get him now if they ask. No chance. Pretty confident for the first time, it feels as if he wants to repay us for the genuine loyalty and he feels like an honourable bloke - we could have easily put him out on his arse last October.

I know we are all feeling euphoric today but let's be honest, if Man U or another of the usual suspects really did come knocking for Ralph, it's likely he would go and you couldn't really blame him for that. It's just a fact of life.

Fortunately I reckon Man U will be more interested in one of our former managers who is freely available at this point so shouldn't be an issue for now. But if we continue this kind of form it's natural one of the "big boys" will come calling at some point.

Best thing to do is enjoy Ralph and the team he is building while we can, it's great to watch what he is doing with these players!

14 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Are you really still in the 'Trust in Les' crap? I thought those had Ross's name on them

Mccarthy

bertrand

bednarek

vestergaard

romeu

armstrong

redmond

ings

forster

stephens 

ward prowse 

We have Les to thank for 11 of the players part of the squad that are top of the league. Why wouldn’t you be grateful?

25 minutes ago, Professor said:

I imagine most of us have been studying the table and the weekend's fixtures after the Newcastle result.  Usually, I like to see other teams draw so that they both drop points but not at the moment.  In order to stay on top a little longer, unless I'm mistaken, the results we need are:-

Man U beat Everton; Wolves beat Leicester; WBA beat Tottenham; and Man City beat Liverpool.  Not much to ask...

Nice accumulator though!!

Really liked djenepo’s performance. Very disciplined to protect Stephens at LB and showed some nice touches now and then. Different side to his game. Impressive.

faded a bit second half and looked injured (again) few mins before he came off

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Professor said:

I imagine most of us have been studying the table and the weekend's fixtures after the Newcastle result.  Usually, I like to see other teams draw so that they both drop points but not at the moment.  In order to stay on top a little longer, unless I'm mistaken, the results we need are:-

Man U beat Everton; Wolves beat Leicester; WBA beat Tottenham; and Man City beat Liverpool.  Not much to ask...

One down this afternoon, three to go. Guaranteed top 4 at least at 5pm. 

5 hours ago, Shroppie said:

Ralph mentioned in his interview “luring” them forward to create channels. It happened time and time again - we pass around at the back, looking a bit risky, they look for a tackle/interception, suddenly one slick pass forward to JWP/Armstrong/Walcott in space and we’re running straight at them whilst they’re still thinking about the press that just failed. Very intelligent football.

This is so true. I was watching and saying (to myself since no one else was around) what they hell are they doing? It looked like we were just passing the ball backwards with no ambition to go forward. What do I know.

7 hours ago, JRM said:

James Ward-prowse and Romeu are currently the best centre midfield partnership in the division, they are everywhere and seem to pop up with a challenge just when it is needed. Protection for the defenders but get involved in plenty of attacking play, I think our success so far this season is a product of this. 

Great performances all over the park though, McCarthy and Walker-Peters must be wondering what they need to do to get an England call up , Che Adams superb last few games, Vestergaard looking like VVD in his prime. 

Good times to be a saints fan , especially pleased for the young nippers I see around wearing their saints tops, easy to be a glory hunter big 6 fan nowdays , they can go into school and be proud. 

Got some tough games coming up so can't see us maintaining this run , hopefully some of our top 4 rivals drop points this weekend.

I only said to my son today that the JWP/ Romeo partnership has been a springboard for are attacking moves. Well posted

11 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Surely it's top at sunset and at  midnight for another day?

Whatever. More interested to see what excuse the BBC use not to show our game first on MOTD. Best could be that the programme isn’t MOYesterday unless one of the big 6 is playing. 

Had a quick look at a few other teams' forums and one thing that stood out in among the praise for Ralph was that they don't rate our players. Personally I think they don't have a clue and hugely underrating them. While our current squad may not be at the level of ones Koeman had from 2014 to 2016, I think it is more or less comparable to Poch's 2013-14 team. Am I wrong here?

2 hours ago, Professor said:

Whatever. More interested to see what excuse the BBC use not to show our game first on MOTD. Best could be that the programme isn’t MOYesterday unless one of the big 6 is playing. 

We were on first last week

Edited by Plastic

I've given chairman Gao some pelters over the last few years but fair dues, his main job is to hire the right manager and he did it. He then stuck with him when a lot of chairman would have pulled the trigger. Gao is a remote chairman who is hard to warm to but he has gotten this critical decision right.

As for Ralph, IMO he is in the elite band of prem managers. I thought we'd punched above our weight when we got him and now he's really proving why. He's taken a mixed bag of players and moulded them into a formidable unit capable of giving anyone in this league a run for their money. Don't forget these are mainly the same players that the last two managers had and were getting slagged off on here as not being good enough week in week out. That's the difference between a poor\mediocre manager and a class act like Ralph.

He's an ambitious guy and if this continues he'll be on his way so enjoy this man's tenure here. I really think he's going to achieve great things in his career, I'd love it to be here and if it was he'd become a Saints legend no doubt.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

I've given chairman Gao some pelters over the last few years but fair dues, his main job is to hire the right manager and he did it. He then stuck with him when a lot of chairman would have pulled the trigger. Gao is a remote chairman who is hard to warm to but he has gotten this critical decision right.

Do you really think Gao made the decisions to hire and keep Ralph? The only involvement Gao has is to rubber stamp the suggestions presented to him by the Directors. 

20 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Had a quick look at a few other teams' forums and one thing that stood out in among the praise for Ralph was that they don't rate our players. Personally I think they don't have a clue and hugely underrating them. While our current squad may not be at the level of ones Koeman had from 2014 to 2016, I think it is more or less comparable to Poch's 2013-14 team. Am I wrong here?

A lot of football fans really don't have a clue. You only have to look at a match thread on here to realise that. According to that Armstrong was apparently terrible yesterday even though he actually had a very good game. 

Sometimes it takes a good manager to unlock a players true quality. Look at Ward Prowse, he always had the technical ability but was losing his way before Ralph came along and got the best out of him. 

Our 2013/14 team definitely had better CB's but other than that there's not much in it, although the current team has a more mature and effective Ward Prowse. 

1 hour ago, Cartman said:

I'd agree largely regarding the quality of the sides.

I think the biggest thing most other fans and the media miss is just how long we've sustained this upturn in form for. I think many view it a bit like Everton and Villa's good run earlier in the season. Since the Watford game in November last year , only two sides have more points than us: Liverpool and City. I know we've had the lockdown break but that's 33 games, nearly a full season. At what point do people actually seriously consider European contenders? And I include our own fans in that.

Edited by Mikey88

37 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Do you really think Gao made the decisions to hire and keep Ralph? The only involvement Gao has is to rubber stamp the suggestions presented to him by the Directors. 

As I said earlier in the thread Chinese hate to lose face - Chairman Gao would have been smarting a year ago, pulling the trigger would have been very easy. And if Ralph did offer to walk - that would have made the decision easier especially as we are likely still paying off Puel MoPe and Hughes. 

Just now, Mikey88 said:

I'd agree largely regarding the quality of the sides.

I think the biggest thing most other fans and the media miss is just how long we've sustained this upturn in form for. I think many view it a bit like Everton and Villa's good run earlier in the season. Since the Watford game in November last year , only two sides have more points than us: Liverpool and City. I know we've had the lockdown break but that's 32 games, nearly a full season. At what point do people actually seriously consider European contenders? And I include our own fans in that.

I would agree, this is being seen as a ''good start'', but to be honest it's just the continuation of what we've been doing.

We've been very consistent now for about a year, few dodgy results here and there, but we have consistently picked up points and wins. We went up a notch after the 'restart' though.

41 minutes ago, The Cat said:

A lot of football fans really don't have a clue. You only have to look at a match thread on here to realise that. According to that Armstrong was apparently terrible yesterday even though he actually had a very good game.

I think the thing that may have influenced a few to think that was his final pass, many of which would have put someone directly through on goal, didn’t quite come off so it looked at times like he was a little sloppy in possession. 

What he brings to the team is fantastic, we are definitely better when he plays.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2020 at 11:58, ecurnew02 said:

I wouldn’t consider myself a “long time lurker” but before each fixture I always come on here to watch the discussion. 

I am from Canada and my entire life I’ve grown up a diehard ice hockey/basketball/baseball fan and never really watched football yet I always played Fifa.  A few years ago I randomly decided to pick Southampton as my favourite team but I never actually got into watching them since where I live the only way to watch games is to stream them. During the pandemic, the EPL was one of the first sport leagues to come back so I decided to chalk up the money to buy a DAZN subscription so I could watch. I wasn’t sure how interested I would be but I’ve quickly fallen in love with football! It’s honestly fascinating to myself how quickly Southampton have made me enjoy watching football so much. 

So I haven’t been here for very long and have not endured much so I just wanted to give a huge cheers to everyone here and say you guys are such an awesome fanbase! 

That's exactly how I felt a few months' ago. I sometimes feel a bit embarrassed posting on here given I've never been to a game and there's people on here who have been fans since 1963. That's why I'm careful to not say "our" team or even "Saints" (a term of affection); it's your team and your club and I'm just a very interested follower since Le Tiss days.

So, a bit like your new Canadian friend, really enjoy these good times. 

BTW, I couldn't wait to ring my brother (who follows Aresnel) and ask him when they were top of the league. AND, I just couldn't help myself and put $10 on a win.

Edited by Jeremy

I support SFC.
I used to be a season ticket holder for myself and two sons when they were growing up but I can't afford three adult season tickets these days.
Anyway, top of the table is a little bit false given that we have played eight games and that there are a few contenders having played seven.
So, as far as I can tell, to retain our top spot, we need the following to happen. Please correct me if I am wrong...

1. Liverpool lose its next game
  2. Leicester lose its next game
  3. Tottenham lose or draw its next game
  4. Wolves lose or draw its next game

Thats like backing a 100-1 outsider to win in the Grand National but I fancy a tenner bet.
Does anyone know of a site where I could place such a punt?

11 minutes ago, Mr Dad said:

I support SFC.
I used to be a season ticket holder for myself and two sons when they were growing up but I can't afford three adult season tickets these days.
Anyway, top of the table is a little bit false given that we have played eight games and that there are a few contenders having played seven.
So, as far as I can tell, to retain our top spot, we need the following to happen. Please correct me if I am wrong...

Thats like backing a 100-1 outsider to win in the Grand National but I fancy a tenner bet.

That's not actually correct. And we all know the chances of us still being top after tomorrow's games is negligible, but that's not the point.

If only for 48 hours, we got to the top of the table, on merit. True fans will simply enjoy that.

And if we keep playing the way we are, it won't be the last time we're top this season.

Edited by Shroppie
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mr Dad said:

I support SFC.

C’mon mate! We’re having bit if fun here. Been 32 years. No we’re not winning the league but it’s nice to see our team on top for a change. 

Don't put a damper on it.

I don't do Twitter and all that stuff but my son (a Saints fan living in Cambodia) sent me this quote from (apparently) an official Saints Twitter account last night and I think it's brilliant so thought I'd post it here. It took me a few seconds to get it...  Apologies if it has been posted elsewhere on here.

As of last night.....and indeed tonight....            "Southamptons A and B team 1st and 2nd in the league!"

......if you don't get it as I say, it took me a while, take a look at the Premier League table tonight. It may change tomorrow once our "B team" have played Man City.

2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

MOTD came up with a fascinating fact last night. Apparently over a year ago we lost 9 nil. Well I'm blowed. Who knew that?  It was so fascinating that they had to mention it twice. 

Well, the big-eared crisp salesman is the MOTD presenter and it was his team that produced that result, so this will probably continue for another couple of years.

Well. I hope I'm not being too premature, but here we are at 1230 on Sunday still at the top. Should the Baggies beat the Spuds we will still be there in two hours time. I am still crowing about it. Been a Saint since January of '57 and this feeling of euphoria is wonderful. Long may it continue. So proud of my team and Manager.

I just have to post for the record. I am sooooo happy we made it to the top of the table - gives me real joy. I had to think where I was in 1988 - in the ad world in London - just before leaving the UK for Singapore...been a few places since. I'm now in Vancouver and have only got to see the Saints live a couple of times at away games on visits. Was a regular at the Dell. Happy to report my eldest son is a Saints fan (never pushed him - the club chose him)...and his nearly 2-year old has just been ordered his first Saints kit for Christmas...hope the wand picks him too.

I'm sure the olo's amongst us who have endured plenty of ups and downs supporting our club over the last 50 years, don't let the highs pass without celebrating!

C'mon you Saints! Ralph and all, thank you and keep going!

• Like 4