Saints vs Sheff Utd — Build-up

SuperSAINT

Beware the wounded animal, eventually they will win. That said, we had 6 points off them last season, they've struggled for goals this season, no reason why we shouldn't go into this one with confidence. 3 nil home win. 

Sheffield United struggling with no wins, fans back, it's the sort of game we would traditionally be terrible in and lose. I think this team has got a bit more about it though and with Ings back you'd fancy us to win but history tells us something different. 

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d go with the team which finished tonight’s game

Yep, same here. Back to the 'default' starting 11 that has served us so well in this calendar year. Great to have Walcott and Djenepo on the bench to inject a bit of pace and unpredictability into the game in the last 20 mins or so. 

Edited by trousers

I do wonder if this would be a good game to bring in Diallo. I appreciate you don’t change a winning team etc, but we really need to know if he (and Salisu, but maybe not quite ready to start) can deputise if needed. Not many better games than against a team that haven’t won a game all season and don’t score goals. Suspensions to our CM two are inevitable, would be great to have a replacement with 90 mins already under his belt.

Romeu one booking away from a suspension - maybe Diallo's chance to start while we try and hold back Romeu's inevitable fifth yellow for stronger opposition.

Shouldn't underestimate Sheffield United, though. Think they're in a false position. We know from last season they're a decent side - hard to break down if they get ahead.

Definitely think this is a game where if we’re up a couple later in the match Vestergaard should come off for either Salisu or Stephens. The schedule gets tightly packed soon so we will want key guys somewhat rested. 

Edited by ecurnew02

Go with the strongest XI that you realistically can. Sheff Utd might be bottom but they aren’t mugs. Resting players for future matches is inviting trouble, unless they are not fit enough to play (most of) 90 minutes. Basically, fitness aside, seek to keep your best line up on the pitch as long as you can. Deal with suspensions and injuries as and when they occur.

Query for me would be Ings - if he’s not judged fit enough yet to last 70+ minutes then there’s a case that the best set up is to start him on the bench again. Guess same question applies to Redmond?

• Like 1

They're no mugs, treat this like we're going to roll them over, and we will not. They showed they're capable last season.

Would go with strongest possible line up, fitness permitting. Despite me suggesting to rest Armstrong above, think we rest him once Ings is fit enough to play 90 mins.

McCarthy; KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand; Romeu JWP; Redmond Armstrong; Adams Walcott

Obviously Ings if fit enough, and drop Walcott back in place of Armstrong.

Got a really good battle there for those top 4 spots in the side, and suddenly look very strong at CB with Vest proving most people wrong this season. Will need the squad more than ever over the next month or so.

9 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Romeu one booking away from a suspension - maybe Diallo's chance to start while we try and hold back Romeu's inevitable fifth yellow for stronger opposition.

Shouldn't underestimate Sheffield United, though. Think they're in a false position. We know from last season they're a decent side - hard to break down if they get ahead.

That’s basically an argument for choosing to suspend him for several games, so that we can better time a one match suspension. Play your strongest team as much as you can, we can deal with a one match ban as and when it comes. 

49 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That’s basically an argument for choosing to suspend him for several games, so that we can better time a one match suspension. Play your strongest team as much as you can, we can deal with a one match ban as and when it comes. 

I seem to remember reading that Romeu has never been sent off ...straight red or two yellows.  

Expecting a tough game, Sheffield United have one point in eleven matches but the games I've seen them in they have looked decent and were unlucky to lose (v Leicester and Man City) I think if we do win it will be a tight 1-0 or 2-1. Chris Wilder, Billy Sharp and David McGoaldrought ex Saints coming back should get a decent reception from the home fans. 

Ralph needs to look at the players and think how they'll cope with three games in seven days, we play Arsenal away on Wednesday (haven't won there in the league since 87) followed by Man City at home sat, no chance our pressing style will last without some fresh legs. 

Hope the 2000 there manage to provide a bit of atmosphere, no moaning or shouts of Get it forward when we're knocking it about. 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Expecting a tough game, Sheffield United have one point in eleven matches but the games I've seen them in they have looked decent and were unlucky to lose (v Leicester and Man City) I think if we do win it will be a tight 1-0 or 2-1. Chris Wilder, Billy Sharp and David McGoaldrought ex Saints coming back should get a decent reception from the home fans. 

Ralph needs to look at the players and think how they'll cope with three games in seven days, we play Arsenal away on Wednesday (haven't won there in the league since 87) followed by Man City at home sat, no chance our pressing style will last without some fresh legs. 

Hope the 2000 there manage to provide a bit of atmosphere, no moaning or shouts of Get it forward when we're knocking it about. 

This was exactly what I thought too.  I had a look at their results & (with the exception of Chelsea match) they only tend to lose by the odd goal.

Interesting to see other teams now looking to try and counter our formation and the movement of the front four.  We have taken 64 points from the last 38 games.  For context,  that is two more points than Leicester got last season finishing fifth, and would have seen us in the top 7 all of the last three seasons.  So we can’t be doing much wrong.  It is up to the other teams to stop us.  

9 minutes ago, positivepete said:

Interesting to see other teams now looking to try and counter our formation and the movement of the front four.  We have taken 64 points from the last 38 games.  For context,  that is two more points than Leicester got last season finishing fifth, and would have seen us in the top 7 all of the last three seasons.  So we can’t be doing much wrong.  It is up to the other teams to stop us.  

IMO 60+ points should be our target for this season.  That's achievable with an average 1.5 points per game from here on and should put us in the hunt for a European spot.  Not straightforward but a nice target to have at this stage of the season.

5 minutes ago, Avenue_Saint said:

McCarthy

Walker-Peters

Salisu

Vestergaard

Diallo

JWP

Djenepo

Walcott

Ings

Adams

Forster

Bednarek

Romeu

Redmond

Armstrong

N’Lundulu

Long

lets rest some, protect some, and try out some!

UTS

And play with one less player ;)

• Like 1

Redmond vs Djenepo?  Think I'd persevere with Djenepo with an obvious sub option...nice to have some genuine depth at last, at least in one position.   Looks like Ings is up and running.  So pick two out of Adams/Armstong/Walcott. 

Would be nice to see a late Salisu appearance if we're comfortable.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Why on Earth would we do that for a perfectly winnable league game? Play your strongest team.

“Why on earth?” Keep your hair on lighbeam. Only some pregame thoughts. No need for the heightened stress levels. Doesn’t befit someone of your authority nowadays on here.

Who says we are weakening the team by playing Salisu? Have you seen him at close quarters then?

Did you assume Diallo would be shitt too?

Get a grip old boy. 

37 minutes ago, Avenue_Saint said:

“Why on earth?” Keep your hair on lighbeam. Only some pregame thoughts. No need for the heightened stress levels. Doesn’t befit someone of your authority nowadays on here.

Who says we are weakening the team by playing Salisu? Have you seen him at close quarters then?

Get a grip old boy. 

I had no idea the phrase, "why on Earth," implied some sort of high stressed emotional breakdown. 😕

Anyway, in the interest of good natured humour I'll rephrase: "I say dear chap, would you mind awfully if I inquired as to your reasoning behind said team selection?"

• Haha 3

I would be quietly confident of a win, although if we judge form by the last game only I can see a problem. Would think Theo and Redmond as AM’s with Ings and Che up top. Think it would be madness making changes at CB, but it could be an ideal game to blood Salisu. Hoping for a 2-0 win.

That comeback against Brighton sets us up nicely. I'd drop Djenepo after that performance. If Ralph doesn't think Ings is ready to start, then Redmond in for Djenepo. If Ings is ready, then Ings for Djenepo and Walcott on the left. 

No other changes for me. Diallo will get a start after Romeu gets his next yellow, so I expect him to sit out the midweek Arsenal game and be fresh for City. 

13 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

We will win and easily, they're down there for a reason, they're a terrible team. Got found out pretty easily and have been awful for the whole of 2020.

Not sure anyone has beaten them easily this season.  Most of their defeats have been by a single goal.  They obviously lack a bit of confidence, but they will match our work rate.  A win is a win, and if it is by a single goal that comes from a deflection, take it and move on.  If we want to be in the top seven or eight this season, we need to win when not playing well, like we managed on Monday.

16 hours ago, Avenue_Saint said:

Get a grip old boy. 

I think his ultimate statement is around would you like us to win, and have 3 major injuries to 3 majopr players injured, or rest a few,to protect a few?

Very Vulcan logic from me.

I hope having some semblance of a fan base back at St Mary’s doesn’t resort us back to pre-first-lockdown results. Sheffield United will be right up for this game. But we have the quality to win. Which means we probably won’t! However with two tough fixtures coming up, and the chance to keep pace with the top of the table, Hasenhuttl will want a result.

I agree with mixing the team up a bit, but only minorly. Diallo, Redmond and Ings in for Armstrong, Walcott and Djenepo. Then I’d push JWP forwards to the Armstrong slot, even though that means breaking up the successful JWP/Romeu partnership.

3-1 Saints is my predo but I’m not that confident.

On 07/12/2020 at 23:51, saintwbu said:

I do wonder if this would be a good game to bring in Diallo. I appreciate you don’t change a winning team etc, but we really need to know if he (and Salisu, but maybe not quite ready to start) can deputise if needed. Not many better games than against a team that haven’t won a game all season and don’t score goals. Suspensions to our CM two are inevitable, would be great to have a replacement with 90 mins already under his belt.

No way you break up JWP/Romeu and Diallo doesn't fit anywhere else.

Djenepo is really making progress. Much more of a team player due to his run of games, and he's by far the player most skilled with the ball at his feet.

I think it would do more for his confidence and value for future games if we start him over Redmond.

Think we should start Diallo too. Make sure Romeu isn't suspended for Arsenal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Djenepo is really making progress. Much more of a team player due to his run of games, and he's by far the player most skilled with the ball at his feet.

I think it would do more for his confidence and value for future games if we start him over Redmond.

So then you wouldn't play him against Arsenal so that he is available for Man City. We've got 8 games to go before the number of yellows increases to 10, just let him get suspended when he does, trying to play tactics like this always backfires. You never know he might not actually get booked (unlikely I know). Its only 1 game.

10 hours ago, Nolan said:

13 hours ago, Shroppie said:

No way you break up JWP/Romeu and Diallo doesn't fit anywhere else.

I think Diallo can play effectively as a wing back or wide attacking mid.  The trouble being that with Ings back to partner Che there are four players....Redmond, Armstrong, Djenepo and Theo vying for those spots.  I think Diallo is going to play well at Prem level when he gets the chance.  Both JWP and Romeu are playing well, particularly Romeu...but Diallo has to get an opportunity soon and I think he'll take it and make an impact. 

13 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Despite Sheffield always being in the games they lose, I am confident we will beat them.

I hope Adam’s gets a goal, as it has been a few games since he has.

I'm hoping the ex-player curse is going to work in our favour for once.

Edit: But of course they have Sharp and McGoldrick don't they.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

14 hours ago, Nolan said:

I thought Djenepo was very poor against Brighton, even basic ball control seemed to elude him at times. He's still young, but I would far rather have Redmond in there at the moment. He is a much better player IMHO.