Forster or McCarthy?

CraigH

4 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

If Fraser doesn't get his chance (after he impressed in his games let's remember) then Ralph isn't paying attention.

He sees him every day in training. He’ll talk to the goal keeping coach. He’ll know more about every player than anyone on this forum. If Lurch doesn’t play in the next league game, it won’t be down to lack of attention. 

Another clean sheet. His long kicking is far better than McCarthy, a good out ball into the opponents last third into the corners when seeing out the game. McCarthy has been poor of late. His brain fart against Arsenal when he came out and gave a goal away and being beaten on the near post was a nonsense. Forster deserves a game after four successive clean sheets including Liverpool.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, derry said:

Another clean sheet. His long kicking is far better than McCarthy, a good out ball into the opponents last third into the corners when seeing out the game. McCarthy has been poor of late. His brain fart against Arsenal when he came out and gave a goal away and being beaten on the near post was a nonsense. Forster deserves a game after four successive clean sheets including Liverpool.

Agree with this. Forster deserves another go in my opinion. McCarthy doesn't exactly fill me with confidence lately, and you can't really argue with four clean sheets in four games. Even if Forster hasn't really been tested. 

• Like 2

He's looked solid every time he has played this season - admittedly mostly against weaker opposition than McCarthy has had to deal with (obviously ignoring Liverpool).

He's earned his chance but more importantly the defence have looked more confident with him behind them - probably because he's more sure of himself.

No brainer for me...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

He didn’t have anything to do apart from one comfortable save.

Don’t know about comfortable save, he got across the gaol and did what he needed to do. 
but as you say, it’s like 4 games with nothing much to do. Can’t blame him for that but can’t you can’t praise 4 clean sheets when he’s had like 2 shots on target. Saying that, not sure I’ve ever seen him off his line so much, so that’s a positive. 
still think McCarthy is number one but a bit of me would like to see what Gunn is made of. Hung out to dry after Leicester whilst others have been forgiven. He’s young and not sure how he is going at Stoke, but he could be the future but needs some faith. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noodles34 said:

Don’t know about comfortable save, he got across the gaol and did what he needed to do. 
but as you say, it’s like 4 games with nothing much to do. Can’t blame him for that but can’t you can’t praise 4 clean sheets when he’s had like 2 shots on target. Saying that, not sure I’ve ever seen him off his line so much, so that’s a positive. 
still think McCarthy is number one but a bit of me would like to see what Gunn is made of. Hung out to dry after Leicester whilst others have been forgiven. He’s young and not sure how he is going at Stoke, but he could be the future but needs some faith. 

Sometimes a goalkeeper has not much to do because he is doing the rest of his job properly and keeping the defence calm and organising them by shouting. It's not all about shot-stopping.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Sometimes a goalkeeper has not much to do because he is doing the rest of his job properly and keeping the defence calm and organising them by shouting. It's not all about shot-stopping.

Luckily as FF isn't any good at that, especially if not at him 😁

10 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The keeper is an integral part of the defence.

Being truthfully honest, we've not had to defend in any of those games really. Wolves had one shot yesterday.

I'm not going to be hanging out the bunting for Forster yet. McCarthy is our PL number 1 as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Being truthfully honest, we've not had to defend in any of those games really. Wolves had one shot yesterday.

I'm not going to be hanging out the bunting for Forster yet. McCarthy is our PL number 1 as far as I'm concerned.

I'm struggling to understand the chorus call for Forster to replace McCarthy.   Yes, he now has four consecutive clean sheets, but incredibly has barely been called upon.   There was the block (with his leg) against Liverpool but otherwise, nothing needed.   Statistically he is doing well but performance wise he hasn't needed to wash his kit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, austsaint said:

I'm struggling to understand the chorus call for Forster to replace McCarthy.   Yes, he now has four consecutive clean sheets, but incredibly has barely been called upon.   There was the block (with his leg) against Liverpool but otherwise, nothing needed.   Statistically he is doing well but performance wise he hasn't needed to wash his kit.

This 1000000%

30 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought Forster did pretty well with more than a few interventions coming out of his box to head clear and generally marshalled his area well. PLus his kicking was better than McCarthy and looked less ponderous and unsure with the ball at his feet. I'd try him back at Wolves on Sunday.

• Like 1

Both Forster and Salisu were quite vocal yesterday. Better to prevent the opportunity for a shot than to deal with a shot itself after. 

I think there’s reasons amongst the recent 5 losses, all the games he has played, the opposition haven’t had as many pops at goal.

Time to give Fraser a fair run of games now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

I love how the reasoning behind the clamour to reinstall Forster is that he hasn't monumentally fucked up in his 4 game season. Macca will be back against Wolves and rightly so.

Mine is based on McCarthy having been poor for a while now - he's indecisive, doesn't know when to kick the ball long and his positioning has been questionable at best (beaten far too often at his near post). FF may not be the long term solution but he's been vocal, decisive and made good decisions (putting his foot through the ball at the right times).

He hasn't been 'poor' for a while, what are you basing this on? He's a good solid keeper who makes the occasional error like every keeper, even the very best, and the whole 'beaten at the near post' thing is an out-dated myth that lazily gets used to throw keepers under the bus. Read and learn.  https://www.keeperportal.co.uk/myth-goalkeepers-beaten-near-post/   http://blamethekeeper.blogspot.com/2011/02/what-pundits-get-wrong-about.html

2 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Mine is based on McCarthy having been poor for a while now - he's indecisive, doesn't know when to kick the ball long and his positioning has been questionable at best (beaten far too often at his near post). FF may not be the long term solution but he's been vocal, decisive and made good decisions (putting his foot through the ball at the right times).

Yet he is in top 5/6 keepers in the league for clean sheets 

Based on recent form, Fraser.

Disappointed to see that Ralph is going to play McCarthy on Sunday. I honestly think that's a big mistake. Let's not forget, McCarthy has conceded 12 in 2 games. That must do something to your confidence.

If a striker scored in every one of his last four appearances he'd be straight in the team. A keeper keeps 4 clean sheets and gets dropped. It makes no sense.

Keeper error to cost us points on Sunday, anyone?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Disappointed to see that Ralph is going to play McCarthy on Sunday. I honestly think that's a big mistake. Let's not forget, McCarthy has conceded 12 in 2 games. That must do something to your confidence.

If a striker scored in every one of his last four appearances he'd be straight in the team. A keeper keeps 4 clean sheets and gets dropped. It makes no sense.

Only time will tell. IMHO not much between them.

McCarthy for me.

Big question though is if FF remains our GK for Cup matches, does Ralph keep him in for the semi-final, then final should we make it through to the semi or beyond, when he's publicly stated McCarthy is his No 1 ?

Would seem harsh to drop FF if he's performed well in previous rounds, but then he would be criticised if he doesn't play what he considers the strongest team.

1 hour ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

If you think FF is the better of the two then aren't you happy he's being used for the important (Cup) games, rather than meaningless league matches?

3 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Wouldn’t your manager backing you do something for your confidence when you’ve been in a difficult period?

5 hours ago, Badger said:

McCarthy for me.

Big question though is if FF remains our GK for Cup matches, does Ralph keep him in for the semi-final, then final should we make it through to the semi or beyond, when he's publicly stated McCarthy is his No 1 ?

Would seem harsh to drop FF if he's performed well in previous rounds, but then he would be criticised if he doesn't play what he considers the strongest team.

Just on his penalty record alone he has to stay. 

Fraser has saved 15 of 37 over his career. 
Alex's record is 3 of 25 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

He hasn't been 'poor' for a while, what are you basing this on? He's a good solid keeper who makes the occasional error like every keeper, even the very best, and the whole 'beaten at the near post' thing is an out-dated myth that lazily gets used to throw keepers under the bus. Read and learn.  https://www.keeperportal.co.uk/myth-goalkeepers-beaten-near-post/   http://blamethekeeper.blogspot.com/2011/02/what-pundits-get-wrong-about.html

I'm basing it on having watched every second of every match this year. Prior to his covid break he was one of our best performers and we were getting numerous clean sheets. Since hes come back he hasn't kept a clean sheet, he's made a number of big mistakes and has conceded a lot of goals, but most importantly his distribution and decision making has been poor.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2021 at 08:55, Ed Rooney said:

FF has only had about 4 shots on target in those games, luckily enough 

Except on recent form McCarthy would have conceded 2/3 goals from those 4 shots, something like 60% of the shots on target in recent games have gone in......

• Like 1

McCarthy is the number 1 and rightly so. People are getting too fixated on stats. Yes, when you look at it, he's conceded lots of goals recently and Forster has kept 4 clean sheets. But I would guess McCarthy made as many saves in the Utd game as Forster has in those four games.

How many goals in the recent defeats has he been directly at fault for? 1 obvious one but that's all I can think of.

McCarthy seems shot to pieces at the moment.  His decision making is questionable and he’s let a few soft ones in.

Forster is responding to the coaching he’s had.  Is much more positive sweeping and has improved his technique.

When McCarthy first came into the side under Mark Hughes, he was outstanding.  Shot stopping was excellent and he was brilliant dealing with crosses.

Somewhere along the way he has lost it.  He hasn’t become a bad keeper though, is just on a poor run of form.

Ralph knows the capabilities of both keepers.  He also knows how to man manage.  Whatever he does is fine by me.  

Both keepers have played for England.  They’re both good keepers, just that one is a bit off at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWD said:

McCarthy is the number 1 and rightly so. People are getting too fixated on stats. Yes, when you look at it, he's conceded lots of goals recently and Forster has kept 4 clean sheets. But I would guess McCarthy made as many saves in the Utd game as Forster has in those four games.

How many goals in the recent defeats has he been directly at fault for? 1 obvious one but that's all I can think of.

It’s more than one but I don’t have time to list them all. Home v Villa, away to Newcastle plus numerous other scares. It upsets the defence.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’s more than one but I don’t have time to list them all. Home v Villa, away to Newcastle plus numerous other scares. It upsets the defence.

Home v Villa? As in the Barkley header? If you really think any 'keeper should be saving that then you're never going to be happy!

• Like 1

On 11/02/2021 at 22:55, cloggy saint said:

Wrong. According to the stats McCarthy has made zero errors that lead to a goal this season. 16 goals against in 4 games is very misleading and says more about Saints' general recent performances than Macca's. He's a far better all round keeper than Forster.

Not wrong. But ok.