Saints 1-1 Chelsea- Match Thread

os862saints

Given the state of our lot right now I'd probably take a 0 - 2 loss if you offered it to me.  They have much more quality than us and I fear yet another humiliating home bumming. Somebody wake me up when this nightmare is over. 

KWP injured. 

JWP and Romeu look knackered, Diallo still out. 

Step forward Alex Jankowitz, your time has come nipper. Back from suspension let's show the Premier League what you've got. 

When did we last beat Chelsea at St Mary's? 

I don't think they are that great and have a Champions league game v Athletico Madrid a few days later but our league form and bad run of referee decisions has left confidence low. 

Hope for a point to get us to 30. 

• Like 1

Given the events of the last 2 months with injuries/VAR/generally being a shit team , "on paper" we have no chance of a positive result, and yes, at the moment we are shit, the only oasis was beating a mid table reserve side in a cup we have no chance of winning. Ralphs style of play has clearly unravelled, the players simply aren't good enough or fit enough to sustain it for anything like 90 minutes lately. The team are mentally weak and lacking in confidence and on-field leadership. We can't hold onto a lead, can't chase a game when a goal behind, and can't defend for our lives when under the cosh.  We are losing to shit teams and getting hammered by good ones.

0-3 Chelsea, dodgy penalty and a sending off

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Given that we have played a game nearly every 3-4 days since 16th January, and now having nearly a full week to recharge. Hopefully we will be able to get back towards the type of performances that we are all use to seeing from Saints before Christmas. We looked leggy yesterday especially after the air vanished out of our balloon on that penalty decision, Redmond looked to have had a slightly better game for us, but that is likely down to the fact that he hasn't played as much as most of the team over that time period so was a tad fresher.

We now know that KWP is broken once more, so we have a week to get young Ramsey bedded in more rather than fanny about at right back with square pegs for round holes (personally I thought that he was about the only positive from the OT game), he has to be better than Djenepo back there as he looks like an accident waiting to happen, or maybe that his legs going in all directions fooling my eyes. 

On paper and given our recent form it does look like a bit of grim prospect of a game, but as a Saints fan of many years as always I have hope.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Given that we have played a game nearly every 3-4 days since 16th January, and now having nearly a full week to recharge. Hopefully we will be able to get back towards the type of performances that we are all use to seeing from Saints before Christmas. We looked leggy yesterday especially after the air vanished out of our balloon on that penalty decision, Redmond looked to have had a slightly better game for us, but that is likely down to the fact that he hasn't played as much as most of the team over that time period so was a tad fresher.

We now know that KWP is broken once more, so we have a week to get young Ramsey bedded in more rather than fanny about at right back with square pegs for round holes (personally I thought that he was about the only positive from the OT game), he has to be better than Djenepo back there as he looks like an accident waiting to happen, or maybe that his legs going in all directions fooling my eyes. 

On paper and given our recent form it does look like a bit of grim prospect of a game, but as a Saints fan of many years as always I have hope.

Didn't I read somewhere that Salisu can play at RB?

Realistically, what can we do to change things around before the weekend? Morale will be shot to pieces and there is every danger that we will try too hard to get things right and screw it up completely as a result. No doubt we'll come out all gung-ho and at 'em then concede early on and collapse like a pricked balloon. This one worries me, a Chelseas side bolstered by a new dynamic manager versus a fragile Saints side at rock bottom physically and mentally. 0-5 is niggling. 

Edited by Charlie Wayman

29 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Didn't I read somewhere that Salisu can play at RB?

Realistically, what can we do to change things around before the weekend? Morale will be shot to pieces and there is every danger that we will try too hard to get things right and screw it up completely as a result. No doubt we'll come out all gung-ho and at 'em then concede early on and collapse like a pricked balloon. This one worries me, a Chelseas side bolstered by a new dynamic manager versus a fragile Saints side at rock bottom physically and mentally. 0-5 is niggling. 

Don't think Chelsea have been that brilliant under their new 'dynamic' manager.

8 minutes ago, Evil Monkey said:

Forster/McCarthy

Bednarek Vestergard Salisu

Redmond JWP Rom Bertrand

Armstrong

Adams Ings

Assuming that's a back 4, I'd agree except drop Redmond and give Minimouso a go out wide.

Edited by Toussaint

12 hours ago, Micky said:

Given the state of our lot right now I'd probably take a 0 - 2 loss if you offered it to me.  They have much more quality than us and I fear yet another humiliating home bumming. Somebody wake me up when this nightmare is over. 

What month do you want waking up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil Monkey said:

Forster/McCarthy

Bednarek Vestergard Salisu

Redmond JWP Rom Bertrand

Armstrong

Adams Ings

2 goal keepers good plan and I'm not joking. Forster only uses his legs anyway, so that would actually be feasible.

Doubt we could afford the bribe to play 12 so guess Adams drops out.

Such is our perilous state, that what would normally be a classic bit of annoying pedantry, worthy of derision, is actually a reasonable observation.

73/74 and 88 were terrible. This slump is becoming alarming.

How did we beat Liverpool!

Being serious, Forster to play and Stephens or Ramsey at RB. I don't fancy 3 at the back, too much bad karma.

13 hours ago, JRM said:

Step forward Alex Jankowitz, your time has come nipper. Back from suspension let's show the Premier League what you've got. 

Alex's suspension was for 3 PL games, wasn't it. Not available for Chelsea if that is the case, but I can't find a definitive statement. The FA Cup game definitely didn't count. Daft thing is that a 3 game suspension for a sending off after 75 seconds effectively means a 4 game suspension.

12 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Alex's suspension was for 3 PL games, wasn't it. Not available for Chelsea if that is the case, but I can't find a definitive statement. The FA Cup game definitely didn't count. Daft thing is that a 3 game suspension for a sending off after 75 seconds effectively means a 4 game suspension.

I read (on here I think) that suspensions relating to yellows were competition specific, but suspensions for reds cover all games. 

A key game for us, we need to take something from this be it a point in a goaless draw even, anything to stop the rot! I fear if we are on the end of another hammering we will be mentally too fraggile to recover our season & things could get very nasty, seven losses in a row seems unthinkable.   We need to play percentage route one football for one game ditch the tippy tappy sideways malarkey let's win ugly! 

7 hours ago, JRM said:

I read (on here I think) that suspensions relating to yellows were competition specific, but suspensions for reds cover all games. 

That’s right - they’ve changed the rules on yellows but Reds are across all competitions so Alex could feature at the weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Warming up nicely and they seem to have a full squad available 

our only hope is they get cocky

At least Werner has broken his duck, I was sensing the inevitable 'werner hasn't scored in 1000 years, here's Southampton' headlines.

• Like 2

We will undoubtedly lose this game, in fact I’d say it’s nailed on. The worst part of all this is that we are a complete laughing stock and the Skates are proper laughing at us, we are giving them all the ammo they need with these unwanted records. Who the fuck loses 9-0 twice in a Millennium let alone two seasons!? 

Who would honestly rule out the possibility of Southampton being relegated after having 29 points in January? I wouldn’t...It would be so fucking ‘Saintsy’ 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dorchester Saint said:

The worst part of all this is that we are a complete laughing stock and the Skates are proper laughing at us, we are giving them all the ammo they need

Please excuse me whilst I continue to laugh at them languishing in League 1 with Marquis as their top scorer.

1 minute ago, Dorchester Saint said:

We will undoubtedly lose this game, in fact I’d say it’s nailed on. The worst part of all this is that we are a complete laughing stock and the Skates are proper laughing at us, we are giving them all the ammo they need with these unwanted records. Who the fuck loses 9-0 twice in a Millennium let alone two seasons!? 

Who would honestly rule out the possibility of Southampton being relegated after having 29 points in January? I wouldn’t...It would be so fucking ‘Saintsy’ 

Would be quite ironic, Ralph would go from one of the best managers we have had to the worst in history if that happend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'll let you think that if you want! Crack on.

Would you seriously bet against it? This is highly plausible, the fish fondlers have a very good shout at being promoted this season, in contrast we have a weak squad of gutless bottlers and a manager who’s biggest achievement so far that’s been collecting embarrassing unwanted records, this squad won’t cope with a relegation scrap. 

46 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Would you seriously bet against it? This is highly plausible, the fish fondlers have a very good shout at being promoted this season, in contrast we have a weak squad of gutless bottlers and a manager who’s biggest achievement so far that’s been collecting embarrassing unwanted records, this squad won’t cope with a relegation scrap. 

Yes I would seriously bet against it.

The same saints squad who have coped with a relegation scrap twice in the last few seasons. Also the same Pompey team who have pissed away promotion the last few seasons - what a bunch of gutless bottlers.

Would bite their hand off for a draw to get us off 29 points and get something other than a loss on the board. But don’t think that will happen - can see another shafting...4-0 is not unfeasible. Ramsey should be selected at RB otherwise what’s the point, Forster should get the nod now and I want to see Minamino ahead of Redmond. Otherwise the team picks itself.

4 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Who? 😂 Seriously had completely forgotten about them. I'm glad they're laughing, at least that gives them something to smile about and an opportunity to forget they are an absolute nothing club.

10 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Leeds are free scoring too, shall we go to the one after that?

Isn't that Everton away? Maybe the one after that then..... ?

More seriously, how many defeats in a row before the noose is finally tightened around Hasenhüttl's neck. Can't be far away. Bet we're casting our net around already to see who's available.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

14 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Forster (No matter the opposition he's clearly more confident off the back of a series of cleansheets so perhaps worth a roll of the dice)

Stephens Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand

Romeu JWP

Armstrong Redmond

Adams Ings

This

On 15/02/2021 at 00:58, kyle04 said:

Given the events of the last 2 months with injuries/VAR/generally being a shit team , "on paper" we have no chance of a positive result, and yes, at the moment we are shit, the only oasis was beating a mid table reserve side in a cup we have no chance of winning. Ralphs style of play has clearly unravelled, the players simply aren't good enough or fit enough to sustain it for anything like 90 minutes lately. The team are mentally weak and lacking in confidence and on-field leadership. We can't hold onto a lead, can't chase a game when a goal behind, and can't defend for our lives when under the cosh.  We are losing to shit teams and getting hammered by good ones.

0-3 Chelsea, dodgy penalty and a sending off

Why don't you go and support Portsmaouth?

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Chelsea- Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic