Spurs 2-3 Saints - Match Thread

NewYorkSaint

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

A king shot to get a result here, wonder what the situation is with Broja. Back to first XI please.

Forster; Tino Bednarek Salisu KWP; JWP Romeu; Armstrong Broja Adams Redmond.

Hasn't our upturn in form coincided with KWP back to RB and Perraud at LB? Don't think we should be rushing to put Livramento back in there, no matter how good he has been previously.

• Like 18

• Lighthouse changed the title to Spurs vs Saints - Wednesday 1945
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic

Spurs started a lot of first teamers Saturday.. Kane , Hojberg, Davies, Sanchez, Lloris, Reguilon, all played full time, Son and Moura both played nearly 70 minutes, Winks played nearly 80, Emerson 90 minutes.

probably grasping at straws.

(yes, i know Saints played ET)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

Spurs started a lot of first teamers Saturday.. Kane , Hojberg, Davies, Sanchez, Lloris, Reguilon, all played full time, Son and Moura both played nearly 70 minutes, Winks played nearly 80, Emerson 90 minutes.

probably grasping at straws.

(yes, i know Saints played ET)

But not all of our stars played the full 120 minutes.

Can’t see us getting anything from this game, but stranger things. A bore draw would be a good result I suppose under the circumstances but can we really rely on too many more draws?  Just hope Ralph doesn’t try something weird in terms of line up, especially as I don’t think Broja will be fit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Hasn't our upturn in form coincided with KWP back to RB and Perraud at LB? Don't think we should be rushing to put Livramento back in there, no matter how good he has been previously.

And Tino played 120 minutes on Saturday. I doubt he'll start, or if he does will be subbed off by 60 mins. And even though SA didn't play a full game, 8 also doubt he'll play 90 mins.

Be happy with a point but think we can get all 3 Saturday so I’d save a little for then ie tino in rb on weds and Kwp at lb. Then I’d have kwp at rb and Perrault (sp) lb on sat that’s if I was going to change things around if not then my sat choice would also be my weds choice. Who’d be a manager eh? 😉

43 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

And Tino played 120 minutes on Saturday. I doubt he'll start, or if he does will be subbed off by 60 mins. And even though SA didn't play a full game, 8 also doubt he'll play 90 mins.

I think he played 90 mins. 

Was subbed off for Romeu before extra time iirc.

I think our best team is:

Forster

Tino Bednarek Salisu KWP

Romeu JWP

Stu Redmond

Adams Broja

As it stands. I can see the argument for Perraud + KWP but I think Tino is definitely better than Perraud and KWP doesn't see that much of a drop away at LB. He has excellent stats for ball progression on the left.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TWar said:

Forster

Tino Bednarek Salisu KWP

Romeu JWP

Stu Redmond

Adams Broja

As it stands. I can see the argument for Perraud + KWP but I think Tino is definitely better than Perraud and KWP doesn't see that much of a drop away at LB. He has excellent stats for ball progression on the left.

That's right Romeu came on just before the end of normal time for Livramento (who had been looking knackered from 70 mins) 

Broja will have a sore leg for a few days even if injury is minor,  he might need to be on the bench for this 

Son is the player who worries me for Spurs, always seems to trouble us. 

1 minute ago, JRM said:

That's right Romeu came on just before the end of normal time for Livramento (who had been looking knackered from 70 mins) 

Broja will have a sore leg for a few days even if injury is minor,  he might need to be on the bench for this 

Son is the player who worries me for Spurs, always seems to trouble us. 

Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen always used to trouble us, Lloris would become a worldbeater too.

If there is anyone I feel would beat us against the run of play, Spurs is it over the last few years or so.

I'm predicting a heartbreak defeat for this.

However, 2 pts would be a good return next two games, but if I was forced to choose between winning on Wednesday or winning this Saturday, I'd pick winning at Old Trafford every time. 

Team picks itself if everyone is fit:

Forster

KWP---Bednarek---Salisu---Perraud

Stu--JWP---Romeu--Redmond

Broja----Adams

If, as is most likely Broja is out then either Armstrong up front with Adams or Redmond up there with Elyounoussi coming in.

Given who didn’t start on Saturday I think the team was pretty obvious for this one, just a decision between Redmond, Tella and Ely.

with Broja’s knock and some unintended long stints due to ET I think there might be an odd tweak (S Armstrong and especially Redmond) but I think the planned 11 was almost certainly: 

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu Peraud

Armstrong JWP Romeu Redmond

Broja Adams

9 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Can’t see us getting anything from this game, but stranger things. A bore draw would be a good result I suppose under the circumstances but can we really rely on too many more draws?  Just hope Ralph doesn’t try something weird in terms of line up, especially as I don’t think Broja will be fit.

he likes a little fiddle does Ralphy

30 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Given who didn’t start on Saturday I think the team was pretty obvious for this one, just a decision between Redmond, Tella and Ely.

with Broja’s knock and some unintended long stints due to ET I think there might be an odd tweak (S Armstrong and especially Redmond) but I think the planned 11 was almost certainly: 

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu Peraud

Armstrong JWP Romeu Redmond

Broja Adams

This is the side I'd expect to see. Tino played longer than we wanted on Saturday so he should be on the bench, otherwise we're risking him again for no reason. Peraud has played himself into some decent form I think.

They're not easy to score against under Conte, so we're going to need to be ultra clinical...which we can be. Another 'bonus' game though really, anything we get from this is a plus.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TWar said:
3 hours ago, Shroppie said:

You're right. I missed that 

Question for Ralph is does he match Conte’s 3-4-3 formation with Stephens - Bednarek - Salisu as the back 3? I wouldn’t be opposed to that. 

Typically, Son looks like he’s finding some form again. 

JWP and Romeu should easily have the better of Winks and Hojbjerg. 

3 hours ago, TWar said:

Forster

Tino Bednarek Salisu KWP

Romeu JWP

Stu Redmond

Adams Broja

Livramento has been out for a long time, I'd prefer him to be rested and play KWP and Peraud. I like Peraud, I have done an in depth analysis of his attributes and concluded he is a pretty good player who will get better with experience, but the most interesting finding concluded he is a tough and niggly  little shit, (petit merde) which is a very desirable and admirable quality in a Saints player. Gets my vote.

• Like 4

Hard to get excited about this one sadly. Spurs are garnering momentum, we're likely to be leggy, and we don't traditionally do very well in this fixture. Feeling very pessimistic on this one sadly.

2-1 or 3-1 loss?

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Question for Ralph is does he match Conte’s 3-4-3 formation with Stephens - Bednarek - Salisu as the back 3? I wouldn’t be opposed to that. 

Typically, Son looks like he’s finding some form again. 

JWP and Romeu should easily have the better of Winks and Hojbjerg. 

Yeah it worked well last time till Salisu's moment of madness. So while i think it was a mistake against coventry i'd be happy to see it on Wed instead of a 4-2-2-2

14 hours ago, kjurwi said:

I think we will lose against Spurs. Kulusevski will surprice us, he is a very good wide forvard/striker.

One of the best Swedish players out there right now. With Forsberg and Isak.

This is true, but he wasn't a prolific scorer even playing for the best team in a poor league.  2 goals and 5 assists in 30 appearances apparently (although how many as sub I dont know).

We have a pretty terrible Premier League record at Spurs. 

Ralf has never got a point there with a play 4 lost 4, scored 5 (scored in every game) conceding 12. 

In fact we have only won there once since being back in the top flight played 9, lost 8 and won 1. Scoring 10 but conceding 20. The only win coming in 15/16 season when we came from 1 down to win 2-1 with 2 Steve Davis goals. 

Our overall record in the Premier League does not make for any better reading, where we have played at the Lane 22 times in total and have won just the twice, losing 18 and drawing 2. 

I do have to say that the other win at the Lane was one of my favourite away games and it came in the 03/04 season when we beat a Spurs team 1-3 led by Mr Hoddle, with goals from Beattie x2 and Kevin Phillips. I remember it being a very hot sunny ☀️ day and the for-mentioned Mr Hoddle get sacked on the Sunday. I have a great weekend in London with an old friend, it was a great weekend. 

I would like to think we could grab a point, but my head is saying 2-1 my heart 2-2. 

Overall Premier League record at WHL

Played 22 - Won 2 - Drawn 2 - Lost 18 - Scored 23 - Conceded 53. 

Edited by Dr Who?

14 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Ralf has never got a point there with a play 4 lost 4, scored 5 (scored in every game) conceding 12. 

In fact we have only won there once since being back in the top flight played 9, lost 8 and won 1. Scoring 10 but conceding 20. The only win coming in 15/16 season when we came from 1 down to win 2-1 with 2 Steve Davis goals. 

Our overall record in the Premier League does not make for any better reading, where we have played at the Lane 22 times in total and have won just the twice, losing 18 and drawing 2. 

I do have to say that the other win at the Lane was one of my favourite away games and it came in the 03/04 season when we beat a Spurs team 1-3 led by Mr Hoddle, with goals from Beattie x2 and Kevin Phillips. I remember it being a very hot sunny ☀️ day and the for-mentioned Mr Hoddle get sacked on the Sunday. I have a great weekend in London with an old friend, it was a great weekend. 

I would like to think we could grab a point, but my head is saying 2-1 my heart 2-2. 

I knew I never enjoy going there, those stats explain why. There are some grounds where we just never seem to get any luck and Spurs is definitely one of them. We'll definitely concede with Kane and Son up top, 3-1 Spurs my prediction 

2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Crumbs. I never thought it was quite as bad as this. Must be due a win then (typed optimistically, when would take a point if offered) 🙂

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Forster; KWP, Bednarek, Salisu; Perraud; Romeu, JWP; Redmond, Armstrong; Broja, Adams.

I'd leave Tino out after he played almost 90 mins on Saturday. Give him a start on Saturday. Elyounoussi in for Broja if he isn't fit. 

I'd agree with that, just a shame we don't have someone better than Redmond.

I only went to White Hart Lane once. I was with a Spuds supporting fan so had to sit/stand with that lot. The memory fades with age so I've just had to look up the date.  6th January 1990. 3rd round of FA Cup. Final Score 1-3 with Matt Le Tiss, R.Wallace and Horne scoring. (and I couldn't jump up and down 😀) Funnily enough, my abiding memory from that game is Jimmy Case "owning" the midfield and really "putting himself about"

I'd take a 1-3 tomorrow........(I'd take a draw to be honest). Get at them early and who knows. KWP is becoming a "goal machine" and I'm sure he'd like to score against his old team.  

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Spurs 2-3 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic