Leeds 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

You really need to go careful. I'll give you a few tips

Dont go into any pubs. They'll know straight away you are a shandy drinking southern poof by what you order at the bar and you'll get glassed.

Dont wear a coat. We all know Yorkshire people are double hard and walk around in t-shirts all year round, wear a coat they'll know you're not local and will rip your arms off tie you to the bridge over the M62 by your intestines.

Take a taxi everywhere. If they see you walking around they will know you dont know the area and immediately you'll be taken down some side street, battered with bricks laying around from buildings that have been derelict since the textiles industry stopped booming.

And most of all NEVER, EVER, speak. They'll hear you dont talk like them and will open you up, rip out your tounge cut off your cock with it.

Hope to see you alive and still posting this time next week Warrior.

Yeah - have a great time Warrior!

If you can "borra a flat cap and a whippet for the weekend, keep saying "tackteeks" like Geoffrey Boycott, you may just get away with it.

E By Gum - you can always tell a Yorkshire man......but you can't tell him much!

• Haha 1

For everyone going up there, I've adapted the lyrics of their anthem so we can join in as well

Everyday, we're al gonna say,
We love losing Leads! Leads! Leads!
Everywhere, we're gonna be there,
We, love losing Leads! Leads! Leads!

Dropping points together
We're gonna see you win
na na na na na na
Our attack does us proud,
but our defenders cow

we love losing Leads! Leads! Leads!

12 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

For everyone going up there, I've adapted the lyrics of their anthem so we can join in as well

Everyday, we're al gonna say,
We love losing Leads! Leads! Leads!
Everywhere, we're gonna be there,
We, love losing Leads! Leads! Leads!

Dropping points together
We're gonna see you win
na na na na na na
Our attack does us proud,
but our defenders cow

we love losing Leads! Leads! Leads!

Most points dropped from winning positions, you might soon sing that....

47 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Lots of snow up here this morning. You soppy southern jessies are going to stand out like cross dresser in the Wool Pack this weekend with your pints of shandy and big coats on. 

hearing they’ve got a little firm together on the hunt specifically for warriorsaint. 

7 hours ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

I would be interested in the adult one, only thing is how I could receive it as I am not in Southampton.  How can we DM on this?

Sorry, been busy all day. Not really sure what options there are now if you aren't local.

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

He is bound to kick a ball properly at some point. Why not this weekend 😅

He filled his non-scuffed quota for the season against Villa back in November. It's just shanks, shinners, and air shots from this point.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, petermcpete said:

Not been up to Leeds before but was going to go to the Drysalters, about 10 mins from the ground

You're best off drinking round the city centre and getting a bus or taxi to the ground. pubs around the ground aren't great. Lots of decents ones in the City centre though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

You're best off drinking round the city centre and getting a bus or taxi to the ground. pubs around the ground aren't great. Lots of decents ones in the City centre though.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/restaurants-bars/ultimate-leeds-craft-beer-real-21309132 - Midnight Bell is good, they brew a Mild-type beer of the same name, Leeds Best also tasty.

Head of Steam next to the Station a bit like the Sheffield Tap there, equally good selection as well. Adelphi has the historic interior if that’s your thing, Sam Smith’s pubs if you are watching the pennies are around as well. Although no mobiles in Smiths pubs! 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I've heard this advice given plenty of times regarding Leeds.

Friend of mine Brighton fan, hard as nails, most would consider crossing the road if they saw him coming towards them on a dark evening, not shy of looking after himself when needed (that said he is an absolutely top bloke) Going away to Football a trip to Leeds he always said - Pour himself off the train into a pub, then get a taxi to the ground, slip the driver a good tip to pick him up after the game to go back to the station. "Look at me 6'5", shaved head, pissed" "the place is full of too many Smirnoff Ice drinking heroes wanting a shot at a trophy - me", "I'm 50 something  and too old for that caper, and you know full well who's getting a tour of the police station if I react"! 

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

- Midnight Bell is good, they brew a Mild-type beer of the same name, Leeds Best also tasty.

Head of Steam next to the Station a bit like the Sheffield Tap there, equally good selection as well. Adelphi has the historic interior if that’s your thing, Sam Smith’s pubs if you are watching the pennies are around as well. Although no mobiles in Smiths pubs! 

Sam Smiths pubs are generally shite IMO. Cheap but pretty crap beer, no atomsphere and aren't they all cash only? Ones in and around the town i live in are. Head of Steam is alright but a bit sort of Wetherspoonsy in terms of punters, not a big fan myself but a reasonable first stopping point off the train. Whitelocks is worth a visit Whitelock's Ale House, Leeds Est.1715 (whitelocksleeds.com)   Midnight Bell good on a sunny day with a decent beer garden. There's loads of decent places a lot to choose from. Certainly a lot better than the pubs around the ground. 

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Sam Smiths pubs are generally shite IMO. Cheap but pretty crap beer, no atomsphere and aren't they all cash only? Ones in and around the town i live in are. Head of Steam is alright but a bit sort of Wetherspoonsy in terms of punters, not a big fan myself but a reasonable first stopping point off the train. Whitelocks is worth a visit Whitelock's Ale House, Leeds Est.1715 (whitelocksleeds.com)   Midnight Bell good on a sunny day with a decent beer garden. There's loads of decent places a lot to choose from. Certainly a lot better than the pubs around the ground. 

Yes, Whitelock’s is one of the best in Leeds. Smiths pubs I wouldn’t choose in Leeds with the extent of other choice there but are a budget option. Beer generally kept OK and bottled beers eg Taddy Porter, Stingo and Nut Brown Ales very decent but it’s the daft rules enforced by Jonathan Smith that are notorious https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/samuel-smiths-pub-swearing-ban-humphrey-smith-fox-goose-droitwich-a9152461.htm

Joe Lycett trolled him hilariously in Smiths home of Tadcaster https://yorkmix.com/joe-lycett-takes-on-sam-smiths-by-setting-up-his-own-pub-in-tadcaster/

The beer to look out for in Leeds - if you see it you have to try it - is Elland 1872 Porter. Up there with Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild as Britain’s best dark beer. If it appears at any beer festival it’s gone in 30 minutes or less https://www.ellandbrewery.co.uk/cask/1872-porter/

Edited by saint1977

The Don Revie 1970's team was quite formidable, 50 years ago ..(4th March 1972)  they beat us  7-0 at Elland Road.

Their " very physical "  style of play coined a number of phrases that became footballing legend at the time.

" Hard but Fair " -----was a complete understatement of their tactical approach.  " Rugged "  to say the least.

" Norman bites yer legs "  . referred to their defensive legend Norman Hunter.  Apparently a gentleman off the pitch, Norman 

took no prisoners on the field, yet once stated that the hardest player  he ever came up against was our own David ( Docker) Walker. 

In response to the successful Liverpool teams of the time whose  fans sang  " You'll never walk alone " .  The Leeds' crowd were known to 

parody the melody with their own version which ran ....." You'll never walk again " .     Tough times they were. 

Edited by david in sweden

On 29/03/2022 at 21:38, spyinthesky said:

I went in the early 70's when Leeds were in their prime and I lived up that way, standing on my own around the half way line.

Joe Kirkup scored a terrific own goal (headed) and we then equalised.

Gerry Gurr caught a corner and, as he was about to clear upfield, Billy Bremner gave him a dig and Gerry reacted.

Crowd shouted, Referee didnt see what had happened but turned round to see Bremner fall to the ground as poleaxed.

Ref gave a penalty and I yelled in protest.

I guess the Leeds fans around me had a degree of sympathy and surprise and I received no grief.

We lost 2-1.

Watch the film The Damn United to see very true to life account of Dirty Leeds under Revie.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds vs Saints - Match Thread

I do wonder if there’s an issue with Redmond. Don’t get me wrong, I can’t stand the player but we’ve gone from Ralph playing him at every opportunity to him not always making the bench and barely getting on when he does.

Has there been a little tiff between Ralph and Redders?

Interesting - is a 433? Or a 41212 diamond? Or a 4312?

Whatever it is, on paper seems narrower so I wonder where our width will come from other than the fullbacks. Idea could be to control and pack the midfield

Edited by nta786

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Not sure where the creativity is in that line up. 3 CM, 2 ST and Moi.

I wonder if we're hoping Leeds live up to their nickname of Dirty Leeds and give us plenty of FKs in JWP territory. 

But no Stu means no win 😔

At first glance more defensive than I'd hoped for but it will be interesting to see Diallo more advanced. Also interesting that there's no place for Theo, Djenepo or Rednond on the bench. Not suggesting any would start by any means but would think Rednond in particular would be a better option off the bench turn Smallbone and he really seems to have fallen out of favour at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Feel really bad for Perraud. Our best performances have come with him at left back, he's been absolutely superb, and he keeps getting relegated to the bench to accommodate the inconsistent Livramento.

Perraud positionally is woeful, similar to Tino but we need a good defender on Raphinha and KWP is mustard

14 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Was a student at Leeds Uni 89-92 and went to many home games in that period, including their title winning year.  Never been as an away fan though.

I went many many years ago. Away fans were held back--- as far as I could see mainly to make it easier for the waiting Leeds fans to know who to ambush as we made our way back to our cars.

1 minute ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

At first glance more defensive than I'd hoped for but it will be interesting to see Diallo more advanced. Also interesting that there's no place for Theo, Djenepo or Rednond on the bench. Not suggesting any would start by any means but would think Rednond in particular would be a better option off the bench turn Smallbone and he really seems to have fallen out of favour at the moment.

Not sure what Smallbone brings to the team to be honest. Think he might benefit from a loan move 

11 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I do wonder if there’s an issue with Redmond. Don’t get me wrong, I can’t stand the player but we’ve gone from Ralph playing him at every opportunity to him not always making the bench and barely getting on when he does.

Has there been a little tiff between Ralph and Redders?

I’ve heard he’s up for sale.

7 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Interesting - is a 433? Or a 41212 diamond? Or a 4312?

Whatever it is, on paper seems narrower so I wonder where our width will come from other than the fullbacks. Idea could be to control and pack the midfield

It still might be the normal 4222. Diallo has played in quite a few games for us in the 'Armstrong role" as a number 10.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic