Tottenham 4-1 Saints - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

For those banging on about AA, he isn’t responsible for the chaotic and wide open defending 

He actually got a bit of praise on Solent for the runs he was looking to make but those runs haven't been spotted.  I'm amazed people are saying he's failing to hold the ball up.  That's not what he is there for.  He is there to choose his runs and catch Spurs on the break.  We may see a change in tactics with Che later on who is a holding player.  I guess people will be happier then as it something they understand.

• Like 2

Positives

• Lavia looks very comfortable on the ball
  • JWP off the mark

Negatives

• The formation doesn't make us any more solid defensively but stifles our attack
  • We still can't defend crosses
  • We still can't hold a lead (not even for 8 minutes)
  • Adam Armstrong is totally ineffective

Tottenham should have been down to 10 men before their equaliser.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

Too slow still, watching Fulham taking the game to Liverpool is a stark contrast to watching our centre backs pass it amongst themselves before losing possession. Take Valery off for Adams at half time, move Aribo into the 10 position, so that he can pick the ball up deep and run at them, rather than playing with his back to the goal and hope he wins a free-kick.

On a more positive note, Lavia looks like this summer's Livramento. A real composed, easy to watch central midfielder at just 18.

Ryan Sessegnon with his first ever Tottenham goal in three years, losing points from a winning position. Saints are back.

7 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Nobody said he his... But he is responsible for holding up the ball and being of some use when we get the ball. He does neither. To be fair to him though, we already knew this, so the question really is why is he even on.

My point being we have way more serious issues than his performance

1 minute ago, Mowgli said:

He actually got a bit of praise on Solent for the runs he was looking to make but those runs haven't been spotted.  I'm amazed people are saying he's failing to hold the ball up.  That's not what he is there for.  He is there to choose his runs and catch Spurs on the break.  We may see a change in tactics with Che later on who is a holding player.  I guess people will be happier then as it something they understand.

How can you comment when you're listening on Solent?

Every time he gets the ball to feet, his trampoline touch hands it back to Spurs.

You're telling me he's on the pitch to run around? In that case he's having a 10/10.

• Haha 1

Lucky to get in at half time just 2-1 down. Bednarek looks like he can't be bothered and Valery is an accident waiting to happen. Defending from crosses is abysmal. We don't look much of a threat up front either.

Can't say I'm looking forward to the 2nd half.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:
  •  
  • The formation doesn't make us any more solid defensively but stifles our attack
  •  

This is the biggest thing for me. No point in trying to play defensive if we're still going to concede easy chances and are going to score less.

• Like 2

A Suprs team with Royal, Davies and Højbjerg in it, wasn't filling me with dread.

Two goals that were a bit soft to concede, particularly the second. A lot of errors created by trying to do too much, from Valery and Djenepo without the nbenefit of any of that approach creating anything.

AA shows the big gap in our team. While Broja's form dived along with everyone else's, he offered that combination of physical threat and pace. AA doesn;t have either, and is far too deep to be able to play to any of his strengths. We're just giving the ball away, by trying to get it to him.

Glad we got in at just 2-1 for half time. We still have a chance, and hopefulyl Spurs will regret not punishing us more in the first 45.

• Like 1

Negatives:

Valery has had better games at RCB so I'm not going to write him off just yet, but he's been poor today.

Adam Armstrong is just completely anonymous. He has no ability to hold the ball up so as soon as it comes near him we lose it again. He needs to be swapped for Che at HT.

Bednarek is just a fucking dreadful defender who wouldn't be a regular starter in any other PL side. I'm really hoping ABK will quickly prove to be an upgrade on him.

Positives:

Lavia looks very good. Aribo also looks like he will be handy.

Djenepo did very well for our goal - first bit of end product we have seen from him in a long time. A bit suspect defensively still though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Aribo? How’s he been?

Not been in it a huge amount but when he has, he looks very good imo. If we don’t get Adams on I think we could much worse than get Aribo up top and someone like S.Armstrong in behind him.

Hasn’t been a disaster yet but Adams clearly should have started, anyone with football knowledge knows that. Doesn’t need hindsight. Bazanu decent, Djenepo surprised me, Lavia and Aribo good. To concede two goals like that with this formation is unacceptable however, and when will the club get it through their skulls that Valery is hopeless whatever the formation? Bednarek all over the show as always, clearly doesn’t want to be at SFC.

A worse second half though and this could be a few unless Ralph’s new coaching team can get control of the tiller.

Add a couple of strikers and a new, better manager might get some results out of revised squad

Edited by saint1977

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Would love to see a 4-3-2-1

Bazunu

KWP Kotchap Salisu Perraud

JWP Romeu Lavia

Stu Aribo

Adams              

Exactly.  I know Perraud is not ready today, but the rest are...

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

This is the biggest thing for me. No point in trying to play defensive if we're still going to concede easy chances and are going to score less.

I first noticed it pre season and it hasn’t improved, we are so vulnerable down the flanks. I think 3 at the back just gives away the flanks and makes us weak. Would much prefer a solid 4 when Perraud is back, and in games where it is tight play the midfield 3 of JWP, Lavia and Romeu.

• Like 1

I'm here and trust me Armstrong and Djneppo are the problem.  Both lacklustre and out of position. Spurs relentlessly attacking the left side.

Romeu struggling so slow.

Rest look OK, lots of positives  not a disaster by any means.

Bring on Lyanco and Adams that will help.

It's too hot 🔥 melting in the sun

I know he's not to blame entirely. But ever since Bednarek came into the side a few seasons ago, we just seem to have conceded so many goals from crosses which ends up with a free header and our defenders looking around cluelessly. It's not that I think just that he loses his positioning, but he also causes others to lose theirs as well. Doesn't really matter who partners with him either. 

• Like 1

Most of our issues stem from Benarek and Valery playing in a new look back 5 with a young keeper and djenpo at LWB... up against one of the best attacks in world football. Recipe for disaster as its basically 2 players that dither defensibly, and then one (dejenpo) that doesn't / can't defend... Results in a load of bad positioning and bad passing, with poor communication/confidence between them all, and ultimately a very nervy back 5 as a result.

Second half hopefully better, and think we need to remember that this is a free swing ultimately. Spurs are going to be top 3 or 4 end of the season - and we all know our record opening day of the season, let along away to one of the best teams in the league!

Edited by Saint86

As predictable as night follows day, we give up a lead.

Feels like we've given a decent enough account of ourselves, but the same old issues haunt us. Lack of presence or quality up front, so we have absolutely no out. And dozy in defence. That sort of mix is a bit of a disaster to be honest.

I'd bring on ABK and Adams for the 2nd half, maybe Stu Armstrong for Romeu. Need to get more going on when we get the ball, as bar Aribo there is zilch in attack.

2 minutes ago, macca155 said:

I'm here and trust me Armstrong and Djneppo are the problem.  Both lacklustre and out of position. Spurs relentlessly attacking the left side.

Romeu struggling so slow.

Rest look OK, lots of positives  not a disaster by any means.

Bring on Lyanco and Adams that will help.

It's too hot 🔥 melting in the sun

I hope you’re cooling down with a pint of Neck Oil 👍

Lots and lots of positives. We're away to one of the top 4 teams in the country. For much of the game we were their equal.  Really exciting to see Lavia's confidence and skill. He's going to be a real force for us this season. Aribo had a few delightful moments.    But not everything is clicking, and I agree we need to sub AdamA. I like him, but I think Che is better. Stuart Armstrong too.    Next goal is so important. There's a path to 6-1 and to 2-3...!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Most of our issues stem from Benarek and Valery playing in a new look back 5 with a young keeper and djenpo at LWB... up against one of the best attacks in world football. Recipe for disaster as its basically 2 players that dither defensibly, one that doesn't defend, bad passing and communication between them, and then a very nervy back 5 as a result.

I'd say the biggest issue stems with the attack, as it did last season. We give the ball away as soon as we attempt to play it into Armstrong as he has the presence of a feather, although that's probably being harsh on a feather.

7 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

How can you comment when you're listening on Solent?

Every time he gets the ball to feet, his trampoline touch hands it back to Spurs.

You're telling me he's on the pitch to run around? In that case he's having a 10/10.

Sorry didn't realise you weren't allowed a comment unless you were there.  And I was telling you what Solent said not what I saw.  I don't need to be there to know what Adam's style of play is so wind yer neck in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

He looks much more nervous than he did in any of the pre season games where he looked completely assured.

It’s actually quite interesting. You can literally see the difference, the step up must be huge to this level and commanding an area with such established players must be a huge change. He must be rattled. Will take a few games. Think he needs to be given a run and trusted to settle

It's like playing FM and being dead set on a formation that you have players unsuited for the positions/tactic and hoping it will come good eventually. 

Play to our fucking stregths FFS it's hard enough in this league with our finances without self sabotage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

It all depends, we always have one good half and one bad. 

Which was that, the good one or the bad one?

Unfortunately, that was probably our good half. If Spurs get another early in the second half it could get messy.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Tottenham 4-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic