Saints 2-2 Leeds - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

That would mean playing your best players in their best positions, which isn’t something our manager does

It would also mean playing 4 at the back after almost a whole summer of playing 3 CBs at the back.

I’ve been thinking (probably over thinking) the whole 3 at the back move. I know we’ve played it before,  yet pre season seemed like an absolute determination that this would now be our default shape. In his post match interview Ralph was very quick to throw the formation under the bus and say it doesn’t work. So I’m wondering if he’s been directed to move to 3 at the back by the new owners but he isn’t exactly on board with it. Given how stubborn he is about his own ideas and reluctant to take blame, it struck me that in the first game of the season he declared the formation as being flawed.

Edited by The Kraken

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

It would also mean playing 4 at the back after almost a whole summer of playing 3 CBs at the back.

I’ve been thinking (probably over thinking) the whole 3 at the back move. I know we’ve played it before,  yet pre season seemed like an absolute determination that this would now be our default shape. In his post match interview Ralph was very quick to throw the formation under the bus and say it doesn’t work. So I’m wondering if he’s been directed to move to 3 at the back by the new owners but he isn’t exactly on board with it. Given how stubborn he is about his own ideas and reluctant to take blame, it struck me that in the first game of the season he declared the formation as being flawed.

Brentford played 3 at the back when Rasmussen was there didn’t they? Maybe it is a directive from above although I would find it surprising if he was being forced to play a way he didn’t believe in. 

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Brentford played 3 at the back when Rasmussen was there didn’t they? Maybe it is a directive from above although I would find it surprising if he was being forced to play a way he didn’t believe in. 

Yeah, I’d be surprised too. I did note Ralph’s tone in his BBC interview, where he said:

“We tried it with a back 5, but it is not about this”

and

”we thought that we are better with defending in this way, but the reality is different”.

Like I said, probably over thinking it, I was just struck now negative he was about 3 at the back considering we’ve done it almost all pre season.

Edited by The Kraken

Surprised to see Ketchup in so many “best lineups” no one has a clue what he’ll be like I the prem, playing for a poor ream with a loony at the helm. Salisu makes as many balls ups as anyone else but seems immune to criticism.

But, having said all of that, you could have City’s or Liverpools centre back partnerships and they’d still look stupid if the had to play Ralph ball, anyone would look bad defending in a team where the midfield is all over the show, leaving twos and threes ion ones, and where fullbacks/ wingbacks commonly get stranded at the wrong end of the pitch when our attacks inevitably break down.

• Like 1

Worryingly most of the teams I thought would be in the bottom 6 relegation battle with us do look to have improved in the closed season. I didn't expect to beat Spurs, but the manner of the defeat was alarming .... i,e no progression from last year.

More worryingly ... once we started that losing last season we found no way out it. Couldn't stop the rot by simply battening down the hatches and grinding out draws.  That says something about mentality. Unfortunately that seems the same. Where's the mindset change going to come from? it won't be from RH and JWP isn't a leader IMO either.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

Surprised to see Ketchup in so many “best lineups” no one has a clue what he’ll be like I the prem, playing for a poor ream with a loony at the helm. Salisu makes as many balls ups as anyone else but seems immune to criticism.

But, having said all of that, you could have City’s or Liverpools centre back partnerships and they’d still look stupid if the had to play Ralph ball, anyone would look bad defending in a team where the midfield is all over the show, leaving twos and threes ion ones, and where fullbacks/ wingbacks commonly get stranded at the wrong end of the pitch when our attacks inevitably break down.

i think that tells the story of what most think of Stephens and Bednarek.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I get that, but what about the protection (chronic lack of), in front of the last line of defence?

Lavia was decent yesterday. JWP and Romeu were fine. The defence was all over the place and this system doesn’t suit us at all. It will be the death of Ralph if results don’t improve…

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I mean ABK can't be any worse, surely?

Tbf I thought he looked pretty decent in pre season and looks a lot more comfortable on the ball than Bednarek. So even if he can't defend very well that's an upgrade.

• Like 1

Must win game imo.

Nothing to do with the fact it's my sweet home coming after 11years.

Season ticket holder for 9 years then had to stop the year we got promoted to the Championship due to a new job and then personal reasons.

Hoping the good times roll, very much looking forward to this.

• Like 4

Get back to the formation and tactics that got us top two years ago and play players in their correct position 

So bloody simple and not pick the ones who continually cock up every other week

It doesn’t take much to be a manager 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

I mean ABK can't be any worse, surely?

Tbf I thought he looked pretty decent in pre season and looks a lot more comfortable on the ball than Bednarek. So even if he can't defend very well that's an upgrade.

If ABK is worse than what we had last time you really do have to wonder whether he was a sensible signing given our position…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

That would mean playing your best players in their best positions, which isn’t something our manager does

What happened to having a whole new coaching staff this season? Does no one have Ralph's ear? Isn't someone on staff saying: "hey, gaffer,ummm.. why don't we put our best players in their best positions?"

4 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Surprised to see Ketchup in so many “best lineups” no one has a clue what he’ll be like I the prem, playing for a poor ream with a loony at the helm.

when do you propose we find out if he has a clue or not.. in the Spring?

He has had a whole preseason. Sink or swim.. get him out there.

--

and so what is up with Mara? Didn't even make the bench? is this guy good to go or what? I know he was a passenger against Villarreal, but this guy scored 6 goals in a top European division last year. Che had 7,  AA had 2.

we need help now.

Edited by SaintTex

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Also it would mean admitting his tactics, selection and formation for yesterday's game was a complete and utter  shambles.

7 hours ago, SNSUN said:

That is literally our best side at present IMO. Granted even Salisu effed up yesterday but he's still probably one of our two best CBs. Why Ralph can't see it I'll never know. I don't have an issue with Djenepo at LWB who seems to be doing Ok there but playing Valery at RCB is borderline criminal over other, better players. I'd like to see us with a new striker in the next couple of days that can start against Leeds but I'm not holding my breath. Same 3 at the back, same lame attack, same shite.

I think Salisu is better playing as part of a pair - this 3 centre back formation seems to confuse us and results in nobody knowing what they are supposed to be doing and so there is no cohesion. Get back to playing with 4 at the back and encourage the CBs to develop a partnership.

7 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

If McCarthy had distributed like Bazunu yesterday, people on here would all be going bonkers

But it wouldn't have been McCarthy's first ever game in the Premier League so maybe we can cut Bazunu some slack.

8 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

If McCarthy had distributed like Bazunu yesterday, people on here would all be going bonkers

Not really bothered about his distribution, but a couple of Spurs' goals were concerning for me. Gunny didn't really make lots of mistakes - his problem was that he was simply too easy to score past. He never saved anything; like having a hologram in goal.

Bazunu couldn't do much about Sessegnon's point blank header or Salisu's donkey defending, but Dier's header wasn't in the corner and he got nowhere near it. No spring in his dive, just flopped to the floor.

And Kulusevski's side footed finish wasn't in the corner either. Again Bazunu's dive didn't get within a yard of it.

He's not the tallest keeper, and if he hasn't got the spring to cover the ground, I think he's going to have problems. 

It's only one game, of course, but he looked very easy to score against - the saves he did make were straight at him - and gave me a few Gunny flashbacks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Not really bothered about his distribution, but a couple of Spurs' goals were concerning for me. Gunny didn't really make lots of mistakes - his problem was that he was simply too easy to score past. He never saved anything; like having a hologram in goal.

Bazunu couldn't do much about Sessegnon's point blank header or Salisu's donkey defending, but Dier's header wasn't in the corner and he got nowhere near it. No spring in his dive, just flopped to the floor.

And Kulusevski's side footed finish wasn't in the corner either. Again Bazunu's dive didn't get within a yard of it.

He's not the tallest keeper, and if he hasn't got the spring to cover the ground, I think he's going to have problems. 

It's only one game, of course, but he looked very easy to score against - the saves he did make were straight at him - and gave me a few Gunny flashbacks.

I agree, he doesn't seem very vocal either, perhaps not surprising for a youngster. 

Can see Ralph doing the Ralph thing and dropping Salisu and putting Bednarek and Stephens in place. Possibly even switching back to McCarthy in goal.

Other than that, I just think we’ll lose this game…there’s no fight, no urgency, no spirit in this squad anymore and it’ll take very little time for that malaise to infect the new players. 0-2 Leeds.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bazanu

KWP Bella-Kotchap Salisu Perraud

JWP Lavia Romeu

S Armstrong  Aribo

Adams

Will be a bit desperate already if we lose this on Saturday. 

This, please… begging for this. 

18 hours ago, Toussaint said:

More of an indication of the shite that is behind him to be honest. We know stephens, Bednerak and arguably Lynaco aren’t good enough 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/08/2022 at 20:36, AlexLaw76 said:

Huge game already and they have a good win for their opener.

Ralph needs to stop being a pillock and play our best players in their natural positions and STOP getting our CBs to take attacking throws. The mess of the formation at Spurs was both planned and entirely predictable.  Valery starting ffs!!!

My team (and no chance will Ralph do this)

Bazunu

KwP AB Salisu Perraud

Rom Lavia JwP

Aribo Stu

Adams

This looks, to me, like our strongest starting XI and best formation, so probably no chance of it happening.

21 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We won’t win this game. That said can you imagine the confusion and bafflement if we won 4/5-0! 🤣

Best case scenario is we lose, Ralph is sacked. Poch returns!
Only one of the above is going to happen and it isn’t the latter two.

Your best case scenario is that we lose but you’d be baffled and confused if we won 5-0? Wow, fantastic attitude.

How about Perraud is fit enough to start at LB, ABK gets to start, we look much improved from the Spurs game and win? Some of our talented new signs start to look half decent together and we have a decent season.

• Like 5

FWIW, I would go with this:

Bazunu

KWP--ABK--Salisu--Perraud

-------JWP---Lavia------

-----Aribo----Armstrong

-----Adams---Mara----

If Mara is not ready then I would play Redmond instead. He has played well with Adams before and I think we really need to have two strikers working in tandem whereas in the 4-3-3 it would just end up as 4-5-1 with an isolated forward.

In that team everyone knows their jobs, we can press and we would create chances.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

For me:

Bazunu

KWP ABK Salisu Perraud

JWP Lavia Diallo

Aribo Adams S Armstrong

Need someone more mobile in midfield over Romeu for me. Surely a midfield three would suit Diallo and if it doesn’t we really need to ask ourselves why we signed him.

Really hits home just how poor our squad is still when trying to pick a line up. Just can’t understand how Ralph / SR can’t see the need for a new winger along with a striker and defender

Edited by Nemi

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

FWIW, I would go with this:

Bazunu

-------JWP---Lavia------

-----Aribo----Armstrong

-----Adams---Mara----

If Mara is not ready then I would play Redmond instead. He has played well with Adams before and I think we really need to have two strikers working in tandem whereas in the 4-3-3 it would just end up as 4-5-1 with an isolated forward.

In that team everyone knows their jobs, we can press and we would create chances.

Might see Mara get some gametime for the B team this evening, he wasn't even on the bench on Saturday so maybe not quite ready yet

Bazunu

-------JWP---Lavia------

-----Aribo----Armstrong

-----Adams---Mara/Armstrong----

Would go with this as well, or the 4321 posted above. 

Spend this week working on the pressing triggers and some turnover attacking play. Let’s get back on the front foot for goodness sake!

My big concern is that Ralph will try to be cute and out think Marsch who also comes from the RB stable. Don’t. Do what you do best.

Hope we do this and we’ll win 2-0.

7 hours ago, Nemi said:

For me:

Bazunu

KWP ABK Salisu Perraud

JWP Lavia Diallo

Aribo Adams S Armstrong

Need someone more mobile in midfield over Romeu for me. Surely a midfield three would suit Diallo and if it doesn’t we really need to ask ourselves why we signed him.

Really hits home just how poor our squad is still when trying to pick a line up. Just can’t understand how Ralph / SR can’t see the need for a new winger along with a striker and defender

Exactly the positions we're recruiting for: linked today with CHO.

If we go two goals behind I fear things will get toxic in the stadium.  Looks like game will be played with temperature around 33 degrees in the shade, possibly hottest ever match at St Mary’s.  Bizarrely it hit 30 degrees on October 1st when we played Watford in championship if anyone remembers that.  Hottest October day on record!

On 07/08/2022 at 16:59, Toussaint said:

Very accurate and been happening for his whole tenure. 

3 minutes ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

So what happens if we win convincingly on Saturday - who the fuck are we going to lynch then?!?!

The club CEO who says, 'Bloody Hell, this Ralph wotzizname knows his stuff, his side just beat Leeds 5 nil....sign him up...I don't care what it costs....get him on the blower now!'

Our players need to be able to handle pressure better. Hard work and supporting each other on the pitch is the answer. Playing it forward to someone who is tightly marked knowing they have the technical ability to hold it up, or play on the half turn. Stuff that Adkins had us doing really well. Stuart Armstrong first name on the teamsheet Saturday.

41 minutes ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

So what happens if we win convincingly on Saturday - who the fuck are we going to lynch then?!?!

One swallow does not make a summer. It wouldn't excuse the last six months of crap. But it would be a step in the right direction... though our fixtures after look rough.

36 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

One swallow does not make a summer. It wouldn't excuse the last six months of crap. But it would be a step in the right direction... though our fixtures after look rough.

You realise its a new season and your opening line works both way ?

Anyway….

Id like to see a return to a 4 at the back, be it 4231, 4312 or 4222… we have the players for those roles… simply put, 352 just means we’re sticking square pegs in round holes… I also despise 3 atb formations, it gives you a false sense of defensive security but all it does is removes responsibility for marking etc and you get what you got Saturday.. everyone expecting someone else to do the necessary 

We need a response and quick, I want to see a commitment from the off, back to our trademark press and for fuck sake play players in their positions….

————— Bazunu —————

KWP - ABK - Salisu - Perraud

——— Lavia —- JWP ————

—Arma—-S Armstrong —- Aribo—

—————Adams ———

Edited by Smirking_Saint

6 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Anyway….

Id like to see a return to a 4 at the back, be it 4231, 4312 or 4222… we have the players for those roles… simply put, 352 just means we’re sticking square pegs in round holes… I also despise 3 atb formations, it gives you a false sense of defensive security but all it does is removes responsibility for marking etc and you get what you got Saturday.. everyone expecting someone else to do the necessary 

We need a response and quick, I want to see a commitment from the off, back to our trademark press and for fuck sake play players in their positions….

————— Bazunu —————

——— Lavia —- JWP ————

—————Adams ———

I was with you until you asked for players on their correct positions only to then put AA in down the right! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hopefully we can keep it tight at the back and nick a 1-0, unlikely I know. 

The game has been on general sale for a while, still tickets left, a mate of a mate who is southern based Leeds fan is going in the home end, got a feeling there will be plenty more of them. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

I was with you until you asked for players on their correct positions only to then put AA in down the right! 

Im not going to lie… was only when I started writing it up I realised just how light we were in wide positions, especially the right 😂

Pretend I wrote Redmond

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im not going to lie… was only when I started writing it up I realised just how light we were in wide positions, especially the right 😂

Pretend I wrote Redmond

No!!! Come back AA, all is forgiven 😂

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Anyway….

————— Bazunu —————

——— Lavia —- JWP ————

—————Adams ———

For me        Bazunu 

Kwp      Abk      Salisu  Perraud 

Lavia             Romeu

S Arms     Jwp    Aribo

Adams

I know ideally Aribo is out of position but until/if new signings appear I feel this is our strongest lineup,  Also Lavia can carry ball forward so Romeu just tucks in 

Edited by danjosaint
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-2 Leeds - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic