Saints 2-2 Leeds - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

7 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Has Aribo accidently shown a bit too much positivity?

We haven't coached the good out of him yet. 😁

I'm glad to see ABK over Valery, that's an improvement, but no Aribo or Romeu and we're still 3 CBs? At home? I really hope this works...

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

Seems a strange line up, although better than last week  

I'd imagine Aribo is being kept back as an early sub. Very hot today so that might make sense.

As I mentioned he would often do that at Rangers with great effect.

• Like 1

Shame that we have to pick players who we want to move on. Shopwindow time guys - earn that move!

No Perraud in the squad. Is he injured? Sold?!

Moi starting over Aribo....... the only reason will be to have him come off the bench against tiring opponents. At least there's some pace available to bring on.

3 at the back - that's okay, as long as we press well: which we did at times in pre-season.

C'mon Saints. Lets have a performance to make us proud.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I'd guess he is playing as a number 10 along with Stuart Armstrong in a 3421 formation behind Adams. 

Yeah that's my assumption too. Leeds will press hard and early so I guess the thinking is to have the fairly solid Ely on while they burn themselves out, then swap him for a fresh Aribo.

I still don't get Djenepo at LWB though. I remember Ralph trying that experiment at Sheff Utd 3 years ago and it was a disaster, and there was nothing about his performance (defensively at least) last week to suggest anything had changed. Surely we have a better option don't we?

• Like 2

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

The club need to get on with sacking Ralph but we a know they won’t, they’ll wait a couple of months yet

To be fair to the guy, its not his fault he only has one fit full back and still no Broja replacement!

Not like he is selecting Djenepo over a host of other viable options.

• Like 2

While i'm not a fan of the 5 at the back we have won with it before and at least Leeds don't have the offensive firepower Spurs have so perhaps Djenepo won't leave us as exposed this time. Worrying that Perraud doesn't even make the bench (presumably not match fit) yet Lyanco does being he apparently didn't train all week. Aribo, Armstrong and Mara look to be the offensive options off the bench though i'd like to have seen Redmond as an option as well.

It's strange to consider only our second game of the season as 'must win' but on paper this is our easiest game out of the first 6 or so and so is somewhere we really need to pick up some points. A single result here either way won't define our season but could have a big impact on Ralphs immediate future especially if any of the rumours about player discontent are true.

I honestly can't predict a result as we are so wildly inconsistent it could be anything depending on how switched on we are and how the opponents react. If we were to lose however that would take our current losing streak in the league to 6 games in total (covering this season and end of last). We've only ever lost 6 in a row once in the premier league era - also under Ralph in the 2020-21 season. Not sure he survives something like that again...

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I still don't get Djenepo at LWB though. I remember Ralph trying that experiment at Sheff Utd 3 years ago and it was a disaster, and there was nothing about his performance (defensively at least) last week to suggest anything had changed. Surely we have a better option don't we?

I'd guess Perraud is injured again, so no we don't have a better option as we don't have another decent right wing back to allow Walker-Peters to move over to the left.

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

I’m going to have to assume that theres something more to Perraud’s fitness than meets the eye. For him to not even make the squad is baffling otherwise.

In terms of other options, there’s not many. Certainly not like for like. The best other options are switching KWP to the left, and playing one of Valery/JWP/other at right wing back. So, not ideal at all. Also, just a personal opinion, I reckon KWP has been onto Ralph about only playing him on the right. Like I say, just a personal opinion on that one.

Djenepo at LWB is a disaster waiting to happen, hopefully we can limit how much he gets exposed defensively.

17 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

As of yesterday Perraud said he’s not sure he can complete 90 minutes yet, but seemed keen to give it a go. Result……dropped from the squad of 20.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/romain-perraud-southampton-leeds-united-7457820

Yeah - what on earth is that about? Perraud must have had a late injury surely, even Ralph isn’t that mad 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Leeds - Match Thread
4 minutes ago, igsey said:

I thought Perraud was back? Wasn't he on the bench last week?

This week he himself said he isn’t quite fit enough to play 90 minutes yet.

Apologies, was reading from back to front and hadn’t seen the other post.

Edited by sadoldgit

Not thrilled with the starting lineup but willing to hope that Ralph is thinking it’s a 90-minute, 5 sub game on a hot day against a team that likes to press. Absorb some pressure then take control. Djenepo will again be an Achille’s heel, though. Took my highly optimistic pills this morning.

Shame Perraud is out. Not really sure about repeating the Djenepo experiment. Guess valery is the FB cover, yeah no sure about that.

Seemed clear from fan forum that silly 5 at the back was here to stay so that tempered my disappointment at that.

Equally my annoyance at seeing Bednarek playing is tempered by knowledge that Lyanco is just back fit from injury.

Good to see 'fish up a tree' romeu out of the attacking mid slot.

Really wanted us to play 2 strikers up top. So not  happy with the elyounessi/armstrong both being in.

Edited by Baird of the land

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Guess valery is the FB cover, think i'd have preferred to see Ramsay there.

He's joined Harrogate on a permanent transfer.

We'll win this, somehow - in spite of ourselves. It just seems a very Saintsy outcome at the end of a shitty week. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

5 at the back 

Djenepo 

No aribo 

Watch us go and win now ha! But on the face of it that's as bad as last week. Lose this and I move to vociferous that he must go. 

At least (it appears) more of our better players are starting, and will be stunned if Aribo do not get some dencet minutes.

Disappointing to see a back 5 at home to Leeds and Bednarek (Ralph’s toy) still being picked. If this goes tits up (which I think it quite easily could) I’m expecting it to get ugly and a renewed call for Ralph’s head.  Leeds are a pressing team which means we could have trouble playing out from the back - see chances quite limited for our goal machine Che.

46 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

5 at the back 

Djenepo 

No aribo 

Watch us go and win now ha! But on the face of it that's as bad as last week. Lose this and I move to vociferous that he must go. 

No Aribo clearly isn’t true, he’s on the bench on a very hot day and we have five subs. The starting XI has never been less relevant as the one which plays the last 20 minutes could look completely different.

As for Djenepo and a back five; as opposed to what? Who should be playing LB in your preferred back four?

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-2 Leeds - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic