Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We might know the same person as I heard exactly the same story. He would also refuse to wear a high viz and hard hat on site, saying I’m paying for this I will wear what I want.

You’re right about him being what we’d want, ambition, plan, driven, had a bit of charisma about him. Unfortunately he was an absolute bellend who treated everyone like dirt. My favourite story about him was when he got himself banned from the coriander lounge, still make me laugh thinking about it 🤣🤣

He put fans noses out of joint as he wanted ex players etc to pay for their seats not get complementary ones, banning a few favourites inc MLT and LM if my memory serves me correct. Sadly he destroyed a lot of the clubs history by binning it (apparently, Duncan would know more) In my eyes he did some really good things, any transfer business was kept totally in house and news didnt get out. Marcus trusted him and so I feel that is a great recommendation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chi saint said:

I fully accept NJ start has not been the most impressive (understatement) but I firmly believe we need to give him a fair chance, the term fair being subjective of course and will differ for each of us.

Some on here didn't want him in the first place, some have given up on him and others, perhaps we are few, are prepared to allow him some time.

I wholeheartedly agree Wednesday nights performance was abysmal, I can't recall so much long ball, to the point I started to get a stiff neck.

Why do I say give him time?

The club seem to be supportive, we are recruiting players, indeed if you believe some of the posts on here, even some back room staff.

Why when you have players coming in, presumably based on NJs requirements, would you then jettison him before he has had a chance to implement his ideas using these new additions. Its not as though we were high flying under RH (who I would have had stay.

Get rid now and we would likely have another incoming manager cast their rule over these new arrivals and if unsatisfied then potentially go on another recruitment drive to fulfil his requirements? All precious time lost in my opinion.

My view is we see what he does in these next two cup matches and then scrutinise the team set and performance against the Toffee's. If by that time it remains hoofing it up to  our diminutive 'strikers'  and I use the term strikers loosely, then perhaps we will have to accept he is not the man for us and make a quick panic buy for a manager in the mould of a Dyche.

I hope of course that we will start to see the development of a cohesive team and a manager with a discernible way or style of playing - We can but hope!

You quite succinctly explain the mess and chaos being presided over by Ankersen and SR yet you want to give the idiot they appointed as manager more time. More time to produce more of the same as we hurtle towards the Championship...not for me thanks.

14 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Dozzy was a Wessex League reserve player and played Sunday Premier League (which was a good standard back then).

I doubt many professionals would count that as having “played the game”. Having a lad playing in the Wessex League I’m not going to demean or run down that level as I know the standards and dedication involved. However, if you’re going to go on radio and talk about people never having played the game, talk about professional managers being out of their depth & players that “can’t wait to get off the pitch”, you need to be fire proof. The interview was spun as a peer talking, not a fan. Therefore his average playing and managing career is a legitimate question. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I doubt many professionals would count that as having “played the game”. Having a lad playing in the Wessex League I’m not going to demean or run down that level as I know the standards and dedication involved. However, if you’re going to go on radio and talk about people never having played the game, talk about professional managers being out of their depth & players that “can’t wait to get off the pitch”, you need to be fire proof. The interview was spun as a peer talking, not a fan. Therefore his average playing and managing career is a legitimate question. 

It is.

I do agree with what he said though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Another thing that he said that always annoys was 'did he play the game' re Ankerson. Apparently is a pro footballers eyes only players know the game.

Tell that to Mourhinho and Wenger, 2 of the most successful managers in World /PL football

It’s a case of pedigree either way I suppose. If you have played at the highest level you get some leeway, fair enough, but only for so long.  For a provincial club like Saints, our limited success since the inception of the Prem has principally been with the likes of Ball, Hoddle, Strachan, Pochettino and Koeman all of whom played at top level - maybe we give more leeway than other middling clubs. Our fans certainly seem more reasonable and patient than the likes of Villa, Everton, and Palace per se.
It’s the same if you have exceptional skills as a coach, though much more difficult in terms of establishment.  With Mourinho and Wenger their apprenticeships and proven successes in their home countries (Porto and Monaco) were remarkable, stellar in fact, before they were given their respective chances at Chelsea and Arsenal in the Premier League. 
Ankerson and Jones have neither skillset, and arguably are undeserving of the respect of fans until it’s gained. Some SFC fans would accept it, make excuses, and call for more time if the Testing Director of Anusol replaced Ankersen and the manager of Doncaster Rovers was installed in place of Jones. Others, a majority perhaps, know mediocrity and bullshit when they see it. 

Comments below from a Stoke fan on another forum.

The bad memories about ‘mad nath’ have not left yet. Maybe his methods work for Luton Town where he was successful (but not good to watch), but he is a one trick pony unwilling to change his philosophy about how to play the game, even when results are dreadful and the sack moves even closer. By the way, do you want Will Smallbone back?

It just shows that when we play the way the squad was built and coached for - 4 at the back, pressing etc., then things go ok. We pressed well, Armstrong very much so for that goal, and the defence looked more comfortable in a 4. Lyanco was tantalisingly close to a classic moment of madness but maintained his composure pretty well and kept Zaha off the scoresheet, and for me DCC showed he should be a regular starter - a little time and confidence and he'll be a strong CB for us. Hopefully something for Jones to learn from, and helps build the lads' confidence.

On a side note, I really enjoyed the proper captaincy from JWP - he loves playing against Palace! He needs to find that edge in more games

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

It is.

I do agree with what he said though.

you agree with Doswell that ABK faked an injury as he didn't fancy it?

If I was Jones and was being interviewed by BBC Radio Solent today, I'd call Doswell out on that, assuming ABK is injured - him being missing today suggests he was. It was a serious slur on his ABK's character.

I guess he is fan that was gutted about the defeat, however if he had played the game at the top level he probably would know better than to have said something like that.

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It was a shocking typical Daily Echo non story.

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

😂

Hes correct in what he says, but I feel like he’s been watching a different side to everyone else. 

Long hopeful punts are shit. 

It was better today, but palace are a dreadful side at the minute and should have put us to bed in the first 30 minutes. 

Basically, as we were. Jones out. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

F55399EB-6E4A-4FDC-9A32-1958629199B0.jpeg

I still can’t believe this happened. People give Jones stick for wanting the limelight, but fuck me ralph was as bad as anyone for that. 

Remember the stupid jazz hands to the fans on the rare occasion we won’t a game.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I hope we hear something from Stuart Armstrong when he eventually leaves (likely this Summer to be fair). 

Ralph didn't seem keen on him towards the end and now NJ isn't using him either. He obviously isn't the best player in the world but I think 99% of this forum would agree he's better than what we've got. Emphasised by the biggest (only?) cheer on Wednesday night being when he was brought onto the pitch.

He must be an absolute ass, or just remarkably lazy in training, because it really doesn't make much sense. Especially when you watch who plays in front of him each week.

Stuart Armstrong is not fit enough to play more than 60 minutes hence why he wasn’t a regular under Ralph and the reason he’s not starting for jones nothing more than that 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I guess he is fan that was gutted about the defeat, however if he had played the game at the top level he probably would know better than to have said something like that.

If he’d had managed above the non league he would have probably known better. It was spun as the opinion of a “peer” with people on here piling in on the back of it. It wasn’t, it was an emotional fan giving his opinion, some of which looks like it was ill informed. If Solent want a peer to discuss Jones’ shortcomings I suggest they find someone a bit more qualified.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dman said:

Remember the stupid jazz hands to the fans on the rare occasion we won’t a game.

I didn’t mind the jazz hands. It was the jazz hands when we won, but fucking off down the tunnel without acknowledging us when we lost that done my head in. That behaviour showed me exactly what sort of “leader” he was. If jones does the same, I’ll dig him out as well. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, coalman said:

I see Jones has decided to use his post match interviews to have a pop at the fans booing him. Not sure what he gains by doing this.

I think what you mean is you see Jones was asked about the fans booing him and rather than being a pussy and saying he didn't hear anything he decided to defend himself. 

The desperation on this board to find a negative in everything about this guy is beyond parody.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

you agree with Doswell that ABK faked an injury as he didn't fancy it?

If I was Jones and was being interviewed by BBC Radio Solent today, I'd call Doswell out on that, assuming ABK is injured - him being missing today suggests he was. It was a serious slur on his ABK's character.

No, not that bit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Yes, it was an interesting interview with Doswell.  I appreciate he's a well respected local non league manager and big Saints fan but I would certainly have liked to see Jones calling out Doswells claims about ABK not being injured in his next interview with Radio Solent, maybe even ask for an apology.  Would certainly show his players that he will stand up for them when needed, may even give him an extra few credibility points in the dressing room if needed.

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 1

2nd game in this bullshit thread started (not counting the Liverpool game) - can we close this admin ?

He isn’t getting sacked, been in charge a total for 6 games of a damaged team in free fall ffs. 

I’m not a big fan at the moment but it’s fuckin ridiculous the calling for his sacking. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, 64saint said:

Yes, it was an interesting interview with Doswell.  I appreciate he's a well respected local non league manager and big Saints fan but I would certainly have liked to see Jones calling out Doswells claims about ABK not being injured in his next interview with Radio Solent, maybe even ask for an apology.  Would certainly show his players that he will stand up for them when needed, may even give him an extra few credibility points in the dressing room if needed.

I can also see a strong case for not dignifying it with a response. I was riveted whilst listening to it as it tapped into the collective mood, but on reflection it was an absolutely classless and shameful personal attack.

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!