Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Saint_clark

4 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Odd first half. Most of the team are actually playing alright, but really struggling for an out up top, despite Mara looking very lively. Orsic and Djenepo were very poor and Diallo in midfield a complete liability. Other than that, we're playing alright. Shame Alcaraz got a booking early, as he is a super looking tenacious player, something we've desperately lacked since losing Romeu. 

Hate to say it but we need che on!

• Like 1

US commentators saying no pattern to our play, which just about sums it up. Every player seems to have to spend a couple of seconds looking the next pass when they get the ball. Couple that with the lack of confidence in their ability to actually execute a pass (Diallo the main culprit there along with Mara) and it's no surprise we barely string more than two passes together.

What a hoofing load of shite. 

Could barely string two passes together, and have mostly resorted to long punts. Jones-ball in action. 

Salisu's been in the mood - must be trying to reignite Newcastle's interest from last year.

Think Diallo's been quite good (unpopular opinion alert). Out of possession anyway - he's intercepted and tackled well. We know his passing is rubbish. 

Mara relatively bright up front, feeding on less than scraps. But there's not much else to say for our attacking play.

Orsic completely anonymous. 

Newcastle miles better. But we're still in it. Somehow.

• Like 7

Was flicking through the comments here and can't believe the negative comments about Bazunu.  He literally hasn't done one thing wrong. I'm not saying it's going to stay that way but give him a break. 

Normally I'm a fan of Djenepos endeavour but he's driving me mad tonight. He was making no runs into space and flicks to no one when we need to control the ball. You could see at one point when walker Peters was coming forward and he was asking him to make the run and he just stood there. In the end WP had to cut back. I'm pleased he's gone off.

Alcaraz looks decent. As does Mara. Would like orsic more in the game. Diallo is pissing me off and  for those people moaning we have no  control in the middle, that's what 50m quid buys you. Guimares is untouchable. Wish the fucker was injured.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Mouth full of c0ck on live TV

FnQ_sQDXwAM3lJt.jpeg.jpg

Bit of Pontifex Sex

9 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Like Alcaraz.  Hope he doesn’t get sent off.

Yep he looks very good. Got to keep his head though. 

8 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Orsic doesn’t help Salisu in anyway that half

Nope he's been largely ineffective. I'd either swap AA and him or, probably better, put Lyanco back to RB and have the more mobile KWP on the left.

Overall with the new signings we're getting there. Just need to bring in a new DM and striker and we're where we should have been 6 months ago. 🙄😁

Edited by SNSUN
  • Like 1

Can someone educate Given and Ferdinand that VAR isn't there to correct incorrect decisions per se, but to only overturn any 'clear and obvious' mistakes by the referee. In this case, the referee made a reasonable decision based on what he saw at the time, ergo VAR shouldn't/cannot overturn it.

• Like 3

Hanging on fit grim life. They are on a different level to be honest and pass through us at ease. When we tire they are going to kill us. 

Impressed by Mara. Good touch, held the ball up well, good skills and movement. Decent workrate too. Looks a talent to me and lead the line well.

Not enough options for Lyanco when he has the ball. A lot of possession conceded.

Orsic has done be nothing so far.

• Like 1

I don't see us surviving this with three CDs and expecting Salisu to cover the entire back left quadrant. Trippier is pushing into that space every chance he gets.

There's no discernible shape to our game. It's like a Dr. Frankenstein construction - stick some bits together and hope it gets up and walks.

I'd pull Lyanco and put Perrault out there - before we get done down our left.

VAR was used properly and the pundits make out like we've done Newcastle. It's not clear whether it was or wasn't hand ball, so ref's decision stands. Simples. 

I can't see us winning as it stands, Newcastle are squeezing us out of midfield and we can't get out by long balls as they're all bleeding giants... Playing to stop them scoring and then either aiming for a good counter or penalties at sjp is our gameplan? That or a jwp freekick...🤔😂

AA is probably one of our best chances to get at them tbh, said it in the prematch thread - we need pace and mobility to try and find runners or a good counter. 

Saying all the above, game looks like Newcastle will score, and once they get ahead I thj m it's over sadly. 

Mara has done well, sali superb. Good and bad from diallo and Alvaraz. Orsic anonymous. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Just now, trousers said:

Can someone educate Given and Ferdinand that VAR isn't there to correct incorrect decisions per se, but to only overturn any 'clear and obvious' mistakes by the referee. In this case, the referee made a reasonable decision based on what he saw at the time, ergo VAR shouldn't/cannot overturn it.

Get the feeling now Newcastle have oil money they are both fighting to be 'peak newcastle' so they can make the most out of it financially.

2 minutes ago, Monk said:

We’re all taking a cup win and relegation right? 

No FN way. Use the three cup matches to get sorted with a team. Adams standing around does nothing for us. Mara is covering a lot of ground and looks half decent. Alcaraz is well up for it but Orsic is struggling to get in the game. He's had nothing to feed off either. Diallo makes me cringe when he passes.

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Can someone educate Given and Ferdinand that VAR isn't there to correct incorrect decisions per se, but to only overturn any 'clear and obvious' mistakes by the referee.

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

VAR was used properly and the pundits make out like we've done Newcastle.

Ex-pros proving to be thick shock.

• Like 1

Odd half for me. We have done ok without doing much. Diallo has been so frustrating, so good with some of his tackles and interceptions but keeps giving the ball away!

Liking Alcaraz, Lavia holding with JWP and Alcaraz as 8’s could be the way forward. Orsic, looks a bit lost at the moment, caught between pressing and dropping in, his timings are all wrong. On the ball I expect him to be a risk reward player but he hasn’t seen much of it yet.

Good from Salisu, he has had a lot to deal with, and I have been impressed with Mara, some good touches, looked very quick and sharp and has worked hard putting himself about.

step it up a little second half with better control of the ball and we can get a win.

• Like 1

Watching the broadcast feed which is refreshingly commentary-free (worth trying). Thought we had a decent first half but still lack a cutting edge. Nice to see Alcarez having a go, and orsic cutting in from the wing has some promise with some sharper build-up play. I’m not missing Che and still think we look better without him as a passenger. 
Newcastle do look decent and we’ll need to keep our heads on especially with this referee dishing out cards….

Edited by tillerp
Can’t spell

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg
  • St Chalet unpinned this topic