Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, ecurnew02 said:

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Feels remarkably optimistic, but we'll see!

Seems blind optimism. 

And contradictory ... we'll have a stronger squad... but I don't know how it will look ...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

With Piroe off the market there aren't any obvious current Championship strikers who we might go for to replace Adams.

Haven't been linked with many strikers at all really so will be interesting to see what happens.

Relax, SR won't make the same mistakes as they did last season regarding recruitment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

There’s no question we need to keep Che & Tella.

Tella and Che’s value to us this season outweighs selling Che next week for a quick £12m when we’ve sold for nearly £150m. Both their goals tally they have proven to achieve in this division take us back to the EPL.

If ArmA finds his championship goal scoring form, or even just consistent performances like today, we’ll be close if not top of the pile with midfield and defensive additions.

• Like 3

There’s been a lot of public talk about how Che’s attitude has been great.

Might be wrong but feels like some positive reinforcement for when we keep hold of him and roll out the line of no club meeting our valuation. We’ll then be expecting him to continue with that brilliant attitude for the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, Pilchards said:

Hoping some premiership players not getting games would be interested in a loan deal to us?

50/50 on the wages is a no brainer!

Newcastle will have a couple and so will Manchester City. That Mcfee bloke, he sounds like an option?

This is pretty much why you get flurries of transfers towards the end of a window, its where the better deals are

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Our main priority now should be to offer Tella and Adams new deals..... 

We would be absolute idiotic to sell both.....

Least try and extend contracts first 

Surely we already have? Can't imagine the end of their contracts are coming as a surprise to the club.

2 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Our main priority now should be to offer Tella and Adams new deals..... 

We would be absolute idiotic to sell both.....

Least try and extend contracts first 

We offered he a new deal while we were in the Prem. He turned it down. He ain't signing a new deal for us. 

1 hour ago, ChrisPY said:

There’s been a lot of public talk about how Che’s attitude has been great.

Might be wrong but feels like some positive reinforcement for when we keep hold of him and roll out the line of no club meeting our valuation. We’ll then be expecting him to continue with that brilliant attitude for the rest of the season.

Everton obviously want him, but seem to have buttons to spend, so it's not certain they will meet the valuation. Bournemouth don't seem to have same money issues, but are they really in for him? We shall see.

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

Everton obviously want him, but seem to have buttons to spend, so it's not certain they will meet the valuation. Bournemouth don't seem to have same money issues, but are they really in for him? We shall see.

We turned down an early offer but who knows 🤷‍♀️

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

We offered he a new deal while we were in the Prem. He turned it down. He ain't signing a new deal for us. 

Exactly. He won’t sign. Therefore either we run his contract down and hope he doesn’t do a van dick on us (He’s a good lad so I don’t think he would) or we sell but (stating the obvious) we then need a player who will get us 25+ goals this season

26 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Exactly. He won’t sign. Therefore either we run his contract down and hope he doesn’t do a van dick on us (He’s a good lad so I don’t think he would) or we sell but (stating the obvious) we then need a player who will get us 25+ goals this season

Hopefully he’ll stay. The financial reward for promotion outweighs Che leaving on a free. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Assuming Downes is coming, Harwood-Bellis in centre back and another midfielder would be good, maybe a loan to add some depth to our wide attackers.

then replace whoever else from starting XI that goes

Thats where I am I think, we don’t need to reinvent the wheel here

A CB, two if we lose both Lyanco and ABK

Downes plus one more.. unfortunately we don’t even have a youth CM to drop in

Thats pretty much it for me.. maybe a GK to replace McCarthy if Im being really greedy

7 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Hopefully he’ll stay. The financial reward for promotion outweighs Che leaving on a free. 

Yep, promotion to the premier league is worth, what, £120million?

far better to have Che put himself in the shop window with a 20 goal season (and than walk away on a free) than sell him for 12million and not replace his goals 

Edited by The Juice
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Downes plus one more.. unfortunately we don’t even have a youth CM to drop in

I thought Ryan Finnigan might've gotten a look in during pre season, but doesn't seem to be fancied by the manager thus far. Crewe fans really rated him last season. 

Shame - it'd be nice to be filling up the squad places with academy grads rather than signing more and more players to block the pathway.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t sell Adams. He scores 25 for us this season we will almost certainly be back in the PL next season. If he goes on a free then so be it but being back in the PL would have paid for losing him then anyway. Chances are however that if we are back in the PL we may not offer him a new contract on the basis he’s not a PL player but we may offer him three years at that stage. He needs to think very carefully. He could go to Everton and easily pass us as they go down and we come up. Think long term Che. As a club however we should not be selling. We don’t need the money and we have no suitable replacement anyway.

• Like 8

On 15/08/2023 at 11:09, Dusic said:

Still so much to do in 3 weeks, especially considering Smallbone injury.

Minimum without additional exits beyond JWP & Lavia: 2 x CM

Maximum assuming exits of Adams, KWP, ABK, Lyanco, Tella and/or Sulemana: 2 x CM, 2 x CB, 1 x RB, 1 x Striker, 1 x Wide player

Would be up to 7 signings if those players leave as all would need replacing.

This (from tuesday) is still a really good post.  You could argue more than 7 if you factor in a Perraud / Tino replacement, too.

I think, after last week, the squad is almost at a point where you can start to directly replace people leaving.

17 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I thought Ryan Finnigan might've gotten a look in during pre season, but doesn't seem to be fancied by the manager thus far. Crewe fans really rated him last season. 

Shame - it'd be nice to be filling up the squad places with academy grads rather than signing more and more players to block the pathway.

I saw him play last season and he looked miles off it, albeit Crewe were dreadful. 

Piroe story is very odd, there was interest it seems not just from us but Leeds and SUFC as well, and abroad ....definitely clubs that could pay him more.

Feels a bit weird if I'm honest, I don't know why he's staying there when surely he is ready for a next step in his career (not necessarily us, but a step up somewhere).

• Like 2

Just now, CB Fry said:

Piroe story is very odd, there was interest it seems not just from us but Leeds and SUFC as well, and abroad ....definitely clubs that could pay him more.

Feels a bit weird if I'm honest, I don't know why he's staying there when surely he is ready for a next step in his career (not necessarily us, but a step up somewhere).

My guess is they've said he can go to Italy next year which is where it is reported he wants to go to. Does seem odd that he would commit to Swansea for another year in mid table though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, manji said:

Clearly we have a better player coming in.

Clearly, really ?

Or is it a better player staying ? 

No idea if you are genuinely ITK Manji,with connections at the club, but you seem to have  supreme confidence in those running things at St Mary’s.

This time last year, those ITK might have considered Gakpo likely to be coming in. Perhaps your post will be worth revisiting on 1st September. 

Edited by Badger

56 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Yep, very strange.  Doesn't appear to favour Piroe at all.  Fucking annoying if Swansea can convince Piroe to sign a new contract but we can't do the same for Tella and Smallbone.  I'll give Che a pass because he's at least proved (limited) worth in the premier league. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yep, very strange.  Doesn't appear to favour Piroe at all.  Fucking annoying if Swansea can convince Piroe to sign a new contract but we can't do the same for Tella and Smallbone.  I'll give Che a pass because he's at least proved (limited) worth in the premier league. 

Absolutely. No offence to Swansea but they have little in the way of expectation for this year yet they can seemingly keep their best players and tie them to new contracts. It's mad that we cannot do the same for our last remaining players we would like to keep. 

11 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Chris Hughton now being made out to be some wonder manager to feed the ego of the forum Brighton fan boy. 

Barely scored a goal a game, finished well below us on every measure. 

I wish that was us I wish that was us

Your take with a cheap pathetic shot, so sweet.  The point being clearly demonstrated was the upward trend of the improvement in managerial appointments… I’ll draw you a picture next time hun 

25 minutes ago, Appy said:

Cameron Archer from Villa on loan would be my suggestion if we needed a striker. 

Villa want £20 million apparently. I don't think that's bad for a young striker that had a 1 in 2 goalscoring ratio last season.