West Ham 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Convict Colony

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

This result hasn't finished us but the lack of effort from the players has. They don't give a fuck if we go down, they're just waiting for the transfer window.

What club is going to want these bunch? Apart from Lavia, KWP and JWP, the rest we are going to fuckin struggle to give away

• Like 1

I’d feck selles off right now. He’s not the answer and I’d be worried about him starting the next season in the championship. Lost that match, like the Brentford match but the absolute cluster feck thinking in terms of that starting line up. He clearly doesn’t learn from his mistakes. It’s game over. 

• Like 13

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Blew before the 3 minutes was up.

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Blew on 92:58. Joke.

Our players had given up at least 15 minutes before the end of the 90 so didn't matter how much time was added on . 

So difficult following a team dead last in the league.
Kills confidence, impacts fluency which leads to total lack of any creativity,quality or conviction....
And that's just our forum posts 🙂

Another nail in the coffin today and hard to see us beating the drop.
Hopefully we'll have the financial clout to sustain a few years in the Championship.
Complete overall in the summer - bring in a few of the youngsters doing ok in in PL2 - start again.

Edited by ButtikonSaint

Just now, trousers said:

Our players had given up at least 15 minutes before the end of the 90 so didn't matter how much time was added on . 

Not really the point mate. You can't be blowing the whistle before the full amount of injury time is played. He had the whistle to his lips with 20 seconds left to play, he was fucking desperate to cut our last attack short.

We played ok In patches, but once again the lack of cutting-edge and defensive lapses have cost us.

For the umpteenth time this season, under 3 different managers the starting XI has hampered us.  We need to find a way to get our best players starting and to stop trying to be too clever .

Also If Injury time is a minimum of 3 minutes , don’t blow your whistle on 2.56 😞 ( not that it would have made much difference )

Negative starting line-up cost us I'm afraid. You have to go all out for these vital games and we didn't. West Ham were poor and Selles paid the price by giving them far too much respect. Think we could have nicked that with the right starting line up

• Like 2

Just now, Saint_clark said:

This result hasn't finished us but the lack of effort from the players has. They don't give a fuck if we go down, they're just waiting for the transfer window.

Good opportunity to ship out some of our bigger names who consistently fail to deliver amid an occasional moment of quality: KWP and JWP in particular for me - they don't do the basics, Ward-Prowse is just interested free-kicks and KWP is just interested in dribbling, they never make a simple pass quickly and it slows everyone else down.

Lavia is off anyway, but it's totally pointless having a player like him in the team when its just Moi or S Armstrong on the end of his passes. Need to invest in some proper 10s who actually pass (unlike Sulemana, another who just dribbles into corners)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Premier league players will always have offers, even failed ones.

we'll see. I bet there will be several `Jack Rodwell's' in this side that end up picking up £70k a week in the third tier.

• Like 2

Just now, trousers said:

Apart from a 5 minute burst of energy, do you think the line up we ended the game with were any better...?

C’mon you’re smarter than that. Total difference starting a game then trying to change one when you’re a goal down.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

WTF was that starting line up. Lost the game before a ball was kicked.

Fucking terrible terrible decision by Selles. For that alone he needs to go. Who would pick that 11 when we need to win and the home time were likely t0 be nervous as hell at the start.

but no we play a weak line up and give them a goal start before we bring our more attacking players on.

• Like 1

How many goals and assists have that front 4 managed over the last 12 months? Elyounoussi must not start in any game which requires a win. I don't care about his defensive work. He doesn't get goals or assists and his so easy to play against. Armstrong is just done, and has been ever since he got covid unfortunately (not saying it is related, just highlighting when his form fell off a cliff).

Sulemana has to start every game. He may be raw, but at least he has something about him. Alcarez wasn't good, but I feel he is a player that needs to start to get into the flow of the game. Walcott I don't mind, he has earned his way into the team. But at least 3 of the front 4 today should not have started. Getting that wrong in a must win game killed us. Can get away with it in games we want to steal a point, but not today. 

• Like 1

I'm at a loss as to who out of this lot I'd start in the championship next season,I actually feel sorry for Nathan Jones a bit now,no manager in the world could train this lot to tie their own boot laces let alone play football.More worrying is how on earth are the club going to shift this team off to pastures new, who'd buy them let alone pay them.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

It’s fine because next game we can again start the same players that are responsible for getting us in this position 

The whole bloody squad are responsible. Regardless of which starting 11 are permed to start, they will still be unable to defend set pieces, too slow in midfield, and toothless in attack. Asking for a team that goes 'all out' for goals is a waste of time given it will be comprised of our players..

Edited by badgerx16

A team full of mediocre players. That's why were going down. If Walcott & Elyounoussi are starting games, that tells you all you need to know. Absolutely zero quality anywhere on the pitch. We need to go down to reset. If we somehow stay up this season, we'll go down next season anyway. I've had far more fun watching AFC Totton the past few weeks than this dross. 

Ooooh what was that whimper I heard. Oh Saints giving it their all in a must win game. Totally and utterly clueless up front. West Ham one up after more car crash defending just sat back and knew we’d never score. 
Possession means sod all without purpose or intent. We piss about with side ways passing, allow the opposition to amble back and reset, and then we have no clue how to get through them. Players make runs and nobody tries to pick them out with a quick through ball. It has to be the manager wanting them to play ‘safe’.

Pants 🩲. Deserve to go down and will do so. 
No fight, no clue, no hope ☹️.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not really the point mate. You can't be blowing the whistle before the full amount of injury time is played. He had the whistle to his lips with 20 seconds left to play, he was fucking desperate to cut our last attack short.

Give it a rest.  We wouldn’t score if we played until Wednesday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madge said:

I’d feck selles off right now. He’s not the answer and I’d be worried about him starting the next season in the championship. Lost that match, like the Brentford match but the absolute cluster feck thinking in terms of that starting line up. He clearly doesn’t learn from his mistakes. It’s game over. 

And then let mastermind Rasmus pick another manager after the successful appointments of Jones and Selles. 

According to the stats, we had some efforts, if not on target, then at their goal. 9 I think I saw go up. Of those, Perraud forced a reasonable save. The only delivery of note to Big Paul, and he hit the bar.

Beyond that, we did our best, as the match went on, to play safe predictable stuff. A team, so used to having no strikers, just passes around without purpose. There were some little glimpses from Sulemana, Alcaraz and Lavia. Big Paul's touch got worse the deeper he was. But clearly he wants to be on the end of things. But there's no really drive in there. That's long been drilled out of them. Risk averse until the last kick.

Another narrow scoreline defeat. So we continue not to get cuffed, which Selles was brought in as a coach to stop. But that's no longer enough.

Poor team selection, poor performance from players. That’s Leeds & now West Ham we’ve given 3 points to without much of a fight. 

Watch the cunts put it in next week (not saying we’ll win, but they’ll put the effort in). Bunch of frauds, they’ve now underperformed for 3 different managers. Not being good enough is one thing, but going through the motions and mincing about quite another. Other teams are fighting for their lives, those twats couldn’t care less. Horrible bunch of son in laws…

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

The whole bloody squad are responsible. Regardless of which starting 11 are permed to start, they will still be unable to defend set pieces, too slow in midfield, and toothless in attack.

Don’t think the likes of Alcarez, Sulemana, TP, Orsic have really had as much to be accountable for than the rest of these useless pricks 

1-0 in the book will look like a tight defeat, like we were perhaps a bit unlucky, but honestly we barely laid a glove on them.

As expected. 

What else is there to say? There's no one single issue that, if resolved, will turn the ship around. The players aren't good enough for the premier league. Some of them won't be good enough for the championship.

• Like 2

It was basically the same against Leeds away. We pass it and keep the ball Ok in our on third. Lavia and JWP ensure that. Every now and then we manage to work the ball between the lines...and then nothing. Sulemana injected a little bit of pace, but overall the quality and creativity in that final third is pretty non existent. 

That said, we lost the game because we conceded and DCC's complete lack of effort for that set pecee needs looking at. He simply can't be bothered to even run back never mind win the header. Joke. 

That was such a terrible game of football, West Ham were inept but just slightly less inept than us in an attacking sense.

Nothing really happened did it? Not sure what this club expects with Elyounoussi in the attack, he cannot do it at this level as has been obvious for 4 miserable years. Stu is sadly done at top level football by the looks of it, his biggest strength was the carrying of the ball and his energy. There's nothing about him anymore. Mara just too raw to play a role like that. We basically played with 3 passengers in the attack in that first half and you cannot carry that in the PL and expect to score goals, let a lone win games.

The only positive slant I can put on todays result is that it finally sticks a pin in it and makes the rest of the season pretty much academic, so we won't have the stress or worry about what other teams do or don't do in the next few weeks. We were done weeks ago if we're honest, but today was the day that I imagine even the players become pretty resigned. There is now no way out of this at all. 

The Sports Republic gamble(s) have failed worse than anyone could have imagined. I imagine the board will be getting excited about the money they'll bring in over the summer though, that should keep them with something to do.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

That side doesn’t have a prayer of staying up. We’re bottom of the league but that’s a false position with the fixtures we have left. Once we’ve played City and Arsenal again we will be 6 or 7 adrift.

This. We are down.

• Like 3

• Jimmy_D changed the title to West Ham 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic