Norwich 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

sfc4prem

happy with 18 unbeaten BUT

24 shots 1 goal really really not clinical enough , we need a striker who can find the net badly as we have for two season ,

Honestly i expect ipswich to blow up in the second half of the season and it will end up with a run in between us and Leeds for the second auto.

but we need to be more clinical.

• Like 4

I agree it is simply unnecessary to have all 3 CBs on the pitch with the squad we have at the moment. Stephens may get games when injuries hit (like switching to CB today) but that should be it for the time being. Captaincy shouldn't come into it. This isn't cricket. 

• Like 10

Don't think Russ got it right from the start today, with square pegs in round holes, but that's ultimately not the reason we failed to win because it didn't costs us in the first half. 

Clearly we had the better of the chances and should have scored more, but credit to Norwich and particularly Josh Sargent for a very calm and composed finish of the type our attackers appear to be incapable of.

We all knew this would be our trickiest fixture over the xmas period, so having won the other 3 a draw is not a terrible result by any means, it's just frustrating that we had the chances to win it but couldn't take them. A recurring theme in our away games recently.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Stu and Airibo both just a little down on their best;

You are being generous.  I know there is a general level of positivity about Aribo on here recently, but he really did fuck all today. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

We seem to have a real issue holding onto leads away from home. 

That's only part of the problem. I think we have yet to be leading by more than a single goal at any point in any away game this season ?   I believe that it is now nearly 3 years (March 2021)  since we have won an away league game by more than a single goal. 

The brilliant home form (& results) has distracted from our away performances. We need to sort that out.

Disappointing to draw as Norwich only really played at 0-1 and got the point they were looking for. Should have been against 10 men for much of the match also, very physical side, kicking KWP all match and fortunately only Edozie and presumably Bednarek had to go off due to injuries picked up. Edozie looks like he'll be out for a while now, will be a big miss, as Fraser struggles to make much of an impact when he's on the field earlier than 60 minutes. Edozie's also one of the few with the skills to break through a defence, otherwise we just try to pass through them time and time again, as we witnessed today.

Aribo played like he had one mind on the AFCON, which considering what happened to Sarr at Spurs yesterday, okay, but he shouldn't have started. Leicester left Daka, Iheanacho and Ndidi out of their squad completely today.

Don't agree with Stephens starting, but I don't think anybody does. All of Norwich's attacks seemed to come down Manning's side also, see how many times he allows the winger to put a cross in.

Hopefully, now with nearly a couple of weeks until the next league game we can make a couple of early signings to help us in attack and also get the Adams situation sorted.

Positives, 18 games unbeaten. 15 more to equal Reading's record and we didn't lose any points on Ipswich.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, saintstowin said:

Captaincy shouldn't come into it. This isn't cricket. 

Fuck me there’s some pony written about this on the thread. If anyone thinks Stephens is only playing because he’s captain or he’s being “shoehorned” into the side, needs to give their head a wobble. Lego played this way/side because he thought it was the best option today. Do people really think he knows Stephens shouldn’t be starting, but plays him anyway because he’s the captain. :mcinnes: He’s not managing the under 12’s. If he doesn’t think JS should be in the side, he won’t be. He picks what he thinks is the best side. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me there’s some pony written about this on the thread. If anyone thinks Stephens is only playing because he’s captain or he’s being “shoehorned” into the side, needs to give their head a wobble. Lego played this way/side because he thought it was the best option today. Do people really think he knows Stephens shouldn’t be starting, but plays him anyway because he’s the captain. :mcinnes:

I've been told off by LD. A saintsweb achievement for me and so early into 2024! 

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me there’s some pony written about this on the thread. If anyone thinks Stephens is only playing because he’s captain or he’s being “shoehorned” into the side, needs to give their head a wobble. Lego played this way/side because he thought it was the best option today. Do people really think he knows Stephens shouldn’t be starting, but plays him anyway because he’s the captain. :mcinnes: He’s not managing the under 12’s. If he doesn’t think JS should be in the side, he won’t be. He picks what he thinks is the best side. 

Well if that isn't the case then I'm concerned that our manager thinks Stephens is the answer at right back.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Stephens played well - not that many of the hysterical tarts on here could ever admit it.

It's a joy to watch Saints these days and we played Norwich off the park.  It's always difficult to score when the opposition park all 11 behind the ball.

The fact that the team looked disappointed not to win shows what a huge culture shift there has been in this squad in such a short space of time.

Manning also played well - but as he and Stephens are the current scapegoats the joyless buggers on here will never admit that.

• Like 16

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

Well if that isn't the case then I'm concerned that our manager thinks Stephens is the answer arlt right back.

Just as well you;re not the manager then genius - I'm sure Martin will be deeply concerned by what you think

Edited by washsaint

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

Well if that isn't the case then I'm concerned that our manager thinks Stephens is the answer at right back.

Why else would he play him. Do you really think he’s thinking “I know Stephens shouldn’t be playing, but he’s the captain, he needs “shoehorning”in somehow” .Fuck me, some of you need to stop and think for a bit. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why hasn’t he done it earlier in the season then?  We’ve had Bree and Holgate who could have slotted into Stephen’s position.

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why else would he play him. Do you really think he’s thinking “I know Stephens shouldn’t be playing, but he’s the captain, he needs “shoehorning”in somehow” .Fuck me, some of you need to stop and think for a bit. 

Well, it's pretty bonkers that anyone would think Stephens is a better option at right back than KWP. So you'd assume there's another reason behind it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posting this before reading others...totally dominated that and really should have won comfortably. Teams now setting up defensively at home against us...know that we're vulnerable to the counter-attack. If we don't score early, or at least in the first half, it rewards 'sit back and park the bus' tactics like Norwich. 

Stacey should have been sent off for taking Edozie out of the game - saw him in a boot and crutches at the end - not a good sign.

Didn't you just know they'd score with their only shot on target...

Still, on reflection, it's a point away from home, our run continues. Sheffield Wednesday should normally have been a walkover, but they seem to having a revival...need to win that.

5 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Just as well you;re not the manager then genius - I'm sure Martin will be deeply concerned by what you think

Well this is a forum, where fans post things about the team. How's that for genius. 

• Like 2

These are the games and dropped points that may well come back to haunt us at seasons end. Norwich simply let us have the ball, sat in and defended.  For all our possession we created very few guilt edge chances, despite the stats. We have to learn that sitting on a single goal is not managing the game effectively, and simply gives the other team a chance.  On the plus side, thought we did keep pushing and try to win it in injury time. A point away is not to be sniffed at but but can't help thinking it's two dropped, not one gained.  We shall see. 

• Like 2

The way I see it is Martin clearly rates Stephens however he knows he can’t drop Bednarek and Harwood Bellis  . So just like he did for the Swansea game he thought the best line was going with 3 centre backs.

it worked against Swansea and to some extent it worked today . Personally I think we are a better side playing with a 4 at the back . And if Stephens can’t get in at CB then he misses out.

10 points from 4 games I doubt there is not one fan that wouldn’t have taken that on 22 December . 

Edited by IFHP
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Time for a good rest for all these lads now. Absolutely no need to have any first teamers in the squad against Walsall. 

I agree, but that rarely happens

Edited by AlexLaw76

22 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Well, it's pretty bonkers that anyone would think Stephens is a better option at right back than KWP. So you'd assume there's another reason behind it.

Probably wants to get KWP further up the pitch. I don’t know why, but that’s not the point. The point is he picks what he thinks is the best team, trying to say he doesn’t think Stephens should be playing, but plays him anyway is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read. I don’t like the bloke, but anyone who thinks he doesn’t pick what he believes is the best team on the day, needs to give their head a wobble. This isn’t a fucking pub team. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Don't agree with Stephens starting, but I don't think anybody does.

I don't have a huge issue with it. Frees up KWP to be a pure attacker without worrying about the space he leaves behind him, which makes us more solid and less susceptible to breakaways. Three out and out defenders is no bad thing. It's up to the midfield and attack to create chances. It also gives us more height at set pieces.  

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, IFHP said:

The way I see it is Martin clearly rates Stephens however he knows he can’t drop Bednarek and Haywood Bellis  . So just like he did for the Swansea game he thought the best line was going with 3 centre backs.

it worked against Swansea and to some extent it worked today . Personally I think we are a better side playing with a 4 at the back . And if Stephens can’t get in at CB then he misses out.

I thought we played with 4 at the back the entire game rather than three CBs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

A point not too shabby.

This unbeaten run is remarkable but hopefully it’s not impacting the way we approach games, or how we defend leads.

No it’s just how we play. 18 unbeaten, one off equalling the club record. Not to shabby at all. 

• Like 1

Definitely 2 points lost today but still a great Christmas. This was always a tricky fixture.

Norwich had a game plan and it worked.

Martin wants a proper right winger. Stephens can play RB and that allows KWP to play there.

I thought Stephens played well. There were no dramas down his side bar one misplaced pass early on. KWP tormented his full back and got a right kicking in return.

As usual the finishing was poor. Manning left way too much room in the 1st half but tightened up in the 2nd.

Good to see Che have a decent game. Tried a couple of outrageous shots and set up several attacks. He is way more effective playing deeper. However that exposes our need for a striker even more.

I had no issues with the team selection but Stu Armstrong was blowning at 60 minutes. There was an easy substitution to make with Alcaraz but Martin left it until 87 minutes. That was a mistake imo. Saints lost impetus and left a gap which Norwich exploited for their goal.

However no real complaints,, the campaign continues. A decent rest required before facing Wednesday.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't have a huge issue with it. Frees up KWP to be a pure attacker without worrying about the space he leaves behind him, which makes us more solid and less susceptible to breakaways. Three out and out defenders is no bad thing. It's up to the midfield and attack to create chances. It also gives us more height at set pieces.  

Don’t forget Stephens is captain, so he has to play every week. I believe it’s written into the new contract he signed. Lego doesn’t want to play him, he knows he doesn’t deserve to start, but he picks him anyway. What other reason is there? 🤷‍♀️ 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, obelisk said:

Another 2 points discarded in an away game?

WBA

Millwall

Hull

Preston 

there are 7 gained. Swings and roundabouts, but the most important thing… we are not losing late on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Should have won, could have lost. Decent point and at least Ipswich haven't got any further away.

Sounds like all but a handful of Saints games this season, much more entertaining. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

we don't hit teams on the break well.

so we go one up and if teams come on to us, we don't take advantage.

If they don't come on to us, we struggle to break them down as teams keep their shape and know they are still in it. 

Roger that. 🫡 

I would like to point out that we have 2 strikers that banged the goals in for Blackburn and Birmingham at this level. I don’t see this as the problem, more our laboured tappy approach. Don’t get me wrong we are on a great run so the balance of the team is great, but we need to get the killer pass into the strikers who make the runs, every few seconds when attacking, but we opt to go backward or sideways on the whole, and build again. I think another striker and we will be saying the same, we just need to be braver and more direct more often. Maybe it is a playmaker that is needed to see the killer pass? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Oh, if we are not 2nd by 20th Jan, that will be a right kick in the goolies. Ipswich are away to Leicester on the 22nd Jan...be awesome to be 2nd and pile the pressure on them

Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea. You'd be incredibly disappointed if we didn't get 6 points from those two games. 

Just now, Dr Who? said:

I would like to point out that we have 2 strikers that banged the goals in for Blackburn and Birmingham at this level. I don’t see this as the problem, more our laboured tappy approach. Don’t get me wrong we are on a great run so the balance of the team is great, but we need to get the killer pass into the strikers who make the runs, every few seconds when attacking, but we opt to go backward or sideways on the whole, and build again. I think another striker and we will be saying the same, we just need to be braver and more direct more often. Maybe it is a playmaker that is needed to see the killer pass? 

I think the club agrees considering we are looking at a Carvalho/Brooks/Benson sort of player. 

• Like 1

Martin on the ref and Edozie.

Speaking after the match, Martin insisted: "It is a red card and we should have a penalty on Ryan Fraser as well.

"It was one of the easiest games to manage as a referee and he made it quite difficult. I don't moan about referees at all but it's a really naughty challenge.

"Refereeing is one of the hardest jobs in the world but I don't know. It's the same with Ryan Manning who gets fouled late as well."

He added: "It was in the box but anywhere else on the pitch, it's a foul. It is difficult for the referee to see late so I am not a fan of chasing the referee for an answer.

"It is a red card with VAR but it is really easy to say that - although, you don't know with VAR do you?"

Asked about the condition of Edozie, who had scored three goals in his last five matches before the visit to Carrow Road, Martin admitted he does not know.

Martin said: "His ankle has ballooned up but I can't give you any estimate, it would be a complete guess. We have a couple of down days now. 

"It has been relentless so I am looking forward to seeing my kids before they go back to school and the lads will have a couple of days off to relax."

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Why hasn’t he done it earlier in the season then?  We’ve had Bree and Holgate who could have slotted into Stephen’s position.

Because… Stephen’s has been injured since 4th game of the season?

6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Because… Stephen’s has been injured since 4th game of the season?

Read it again, he means why didn’t he play this formation with KWP further forward and put Bree or Holgate at right back.

• Like 2

Whether this was a point won, or 2 lost, will become apparent over the next few weeks. 

Taken in isolation, we should have won the game after going 1 up, but as part of a Xmas campaign nobody can seriously complain about the return. 

Most looked slightly leggy to me, not quite as sharp as the other festive games. Typical RussBall game, unless we find a top striker we’ll have plenty more performances like this. 

• Like 1

The back four were all involved in conceding the goal for a variety of different reasons. It started with Stephens he had an easy out ball to THB who was in acres of space to his right with KWP free outside him yet turned towards the congested area and passed to Manning who then caused the problem by pinging the ball at Fraser who tried a blind pass that hit a Norwich player between two Saints. Armstrong had the chance to take one for the team but didn't. Stephens THB and KWP were ball watching and THB let Sargent rotate off him whilst Stephens was ball watching KWP was the only one to react as he attempted to pick up Sargent but made no challenge. Sargent rolled the ball through KWP's legs and in off the post. Bazunu was nearly on the penalty spot and couldn't get down quickly enough. I felt he shouldn't have been so far out of his goal.

Edited by derry
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Whether this was a point won, or 2 lost, will become apparent over the next few weeks. 

Taken in isolation, we should have won the game after going 1 up, but as part of a Xmas campaign nobody can seriously complain about the return. 

Most looked slightly leggy to me, not quite as sharp as the other festive games. Typical RussBall game, unless we find a top striker we’ll have plenty more performances like this. 

Fair summary. 

Probably a fair result unfortunately. It didn’t sound like we were particularly impressive. As usual, lots of possession, lots of attempts but no real end product.

Can’t complain about the unbeaten run overall and the form over Christmas but if we’re serious about going up we need to add some pace out wide in January and someone bulky up top that can hold the ball up and score.

I’m a bit concerned about Russell Martin trying to shoehorn in Jack Stephens as I said before kick off. Give him 90 minutes in the cup next week and wait until another CB is injured or screws up before giving him his starting place back.

43 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't agree with that. We were by far and away the better side. Norwich did very little other than defend well. Fair play to them for getting a draw, but I don't think they "deserved a point". 

But time and time again we let them attack on the break it was obvious we were going to get punished at some point especially with the addition of Sargent 

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Norwich 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic