Norwich 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

sfc4prem

Not unhappy with the score, especially with Norwich playing so dirty.  This does show however we need someone more clinical upfront and RM needs to drill into the squad that we cannot rely on 1-0 leads. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

Not terrible but this shoe horning of Stephens into the team is concerning. 

I don’t get it. The player has been horribly mediocre at best for his entire Saints career. We reward him with a new contract and captaincy. The Saints way.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We haven't done enough today Norwich totally deserve their point 

I don't agree with that. We were by far and away the better side. Norwich did very little other than defend well. Fair play to them for getting a draw, but I don't think they "deserved a point". 

• Like 6

Disappointing but maybe not the end of the world - and we have had a very good month re catching ipswich overall. But play 5 at the back vs a team with 11men behind the ball for 45min and you don't deserve to win frankly. Noriwch threatened to do exactly that all game so no one can be surprised it happened. That first 45 the result of Martin not making the big call re Stephens/bednarek/THB? And i wonder how significant not having bednarek and THB next to each other was in the Norwich equaliser? Played through us like butter there without a single challenge being attempted. Ultimately though, this could prove to be a rueful 2 points dropped at the end of the season - hopefully not!

I think Martin needs to sort out what he prefers tactically / selection wise going forward, upsetting the team and/or dropping players undeservedly to just fit in Stephens doesn't work. 

Also, personally a bit disappointed that we waited that long to bring Alcaraz on? We were clearly tiring and he adds a real quality and threat to our attack.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I don't agree with that. We were by far and away the better side. Norwich did very little other than defend well. Fair play to them for getting a draw, but I don't think they "deserved a point". 

They also had the ball in the net which was wrongfully flagged for an offside.

• Haha 1

That’s definitely two points dropped - Norwich executed their orders perfectly whereas we didn’t have enough energy to maintain concentration for the whole game.  Once again Che and Manning were poor, with the latter and Stephens at RB meaning a completely disrupted back four. Not a particularly enjoyable game but it does provide a valuable point and another game undefeated.

Have to say seemed a fair result, sargeant was a bastard at our place and his impact today warranted the goal, not sure who messed up for it tho, have a vague recollection S Armstrong should of fouled him outside the box.

Would be interesting to see how we perform with another goal scoring striker to play with Arma.

Feel like we arent seeing the goals we should expect from Joe and S Armstrong.

Bummer about benders, THB was awesome again.

Felt manning gave the ball away too much and his corners never looked dangerous or maybe i've been spoiled by JWP.

Aarma quality, always working keep it up mate.

Like that charly created 2 chances in his 8mins cameo, hopefully he starts in FA Cup.

• Like 3

17 unbeaten. Not to be sniffed at. It's a decent result on New Year's Day away, to a decent side.

Many of us predicted a draw today. 

Of course... ...should have had more shots on target with all the possession today. And we always look suspect on the counter.

Hey, I know that possession doesn't necessarily mean shots, but it should mean more on target. We all know the what issue is; An out and out striker. (three years now, more?). 

No idea if that will be addressed in Jan. But happy with my teams festive football. 

UTS

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Agreed. Easily the better side. Away results need to improve though, we haven't won an away match by more than one goal all season.

Definitely take a point at the start of the day, no matter how dysfunctional Norwich are this season they do still have flashes of high quality for this level. We pretty much bossed the ball as expected, but we weren't very penatatrive with it. We didn't seem to take many risks in the final third and played it safe quite a lot, it was a really drab game if i'm honest.

We may have edged it in terms of deserving to win it, but I can't be too upset with a 1-1 either. 

10 points from 12 over Christmas is absolutely insane, these lads have pulled it out of the bag during a brutal run. These periods are the periods where either your season dies a death or it's breathed into life - and we certainly breathed genuine life into it for the 2nd half.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Also, personally a bit disappointed that we waited that long to bring Alcaraz on? We were clearly tiring and he adds a real quality and threat to our attack.

He gave the ball away in injury time which could easily have cost us the game. Until he stops giving the ball away cheaply he won’t play regularly. 

• Like 2

They got a point they scarcely deserved. We huffed and puffed but didn’t happen this time. 

Given Ipswich could not beat ten man stoke away and they are the team above us this point is not a bad result though as many already saying so no need for gloominess! 

I was worried we would not have the energy the latter part of this match so frankly I’m taking a point gratefully. 

And 18 league matches unbeaten! That’s unreal. Something I’ve never experienced as a saints fan. Amazing ! 

Well done team! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Is there a secret prize for using the word "shoehorn" on here today? 

I'm not sure about saintsweb posters interpolating the word shoehorn into posts about the possibly unnecessary squeezing in to the starting 11 of Stephens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Agreed. Easily the better side. Away results need to improve though, we haven't won an away match by more than one goal all season.

we don't hit teams on the break well.

so we go one up and if teams come on to us, we don't take advantage.

If they don't come on to us, we struggle to break them down as teams keep their shape and know they are still in it. 

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Definitely take a point at the start of the day, no matter how dysfunctional Norwich are this season they do still have flashes of high quality for this level. We pretty much bossed the ball as expected, but we weren't very penatatrive with it. We didn't seem to take many risks in the final third and played it safe quite a lot, it was a really drab game if i'm honest.

We may have edged it in terms of deserving to win it, but I can't be too upset with a 1-1 either. 

10 points from 12 over Christmas is absolutely insane, these lads have pulled it out of the bag during a brutal one. These periods are the periods where either your season dies a death or it's breathed into life - and we certainly breathed genuine life into it for the 2nd half.

That's how I saw it to be honest, Norwich still no mugs at this level despite not having a great season. I would have taken 10 from 12 at the start of this period, no question. 

• Like 1

10 points from 12 over the festive period. Excellent return but could so easily have been 12 from 12. Still, no ground lost on Ipswich today so we march on!

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

Norwich are going to be a lot happier with that point than we are.

One of their two attempts on target went in. They did enough to frustrate us, and had an offside decision. Becuase of the way we set up, their fans could get some excitement as they pushed it onto our full back gaps or tried some counters.

On our side, we played 3 at the back, with some mobility in there with Stephens. That really supports KWP. KWP had a load of touches, covered a lot of ground, and got an assist too. Easily our most skilful player.

But he, along with everyone else, didn;t make enough use of the possession we had. We did had 755 possession. We dominated the space. But although we created 21 shots form that, we simply weren;t putting their defence under pmassive amounts of pressure with them. Gunn was not the harried keeper he should have been with that level of possession.

We looked a little tired (after a lot of games), a bit disjointed in our passing game. Manning's position along with KWP's role and Stpehens in there too, might have trhown us off a bit.

But mainly, we looked pretty poor in creating clear cut opportunities. Norwich sitting deep early on frustrated us. But we lacked the cutting edge to take advantage when they stepped up. Martin will look at only 4 efforts on target. Behind that there was the lack of those nearly moments where it's not on target, but could have really worried a defence. Stephens had a good effort off the bar.

Far too many deliveries without enough purpose. Far too many wasted passes, and Admas twice having Fraser in better positions and having shots from range didn't help.

Our massive unbeaten run continues. we're now in touching distance of Ipswich. But there will be a sense of disapointment from today, which is a good thing that they are all hungry to do better. Lots more to come, and some extra days rest will only help. It's been a very productive festive period, and the focus has to be on claiming that second spot.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson

10 minutes ago, Mattio said:

Not unhappy with the score, especially with Norwich playing so dirty.  This does show however we need someone more clinical upfront and RM needs to drill into the squad that we cannot rely on 1-0 leads. 

How many times does he and the team need this drilling home to them.

Again, its the lack of cutting edge up front that lets us down.

9 minutes ago, Norm said:

75% possession and 21 shots with 4 on target.

Hmmm

And 12 corners. But ONE GOAL.

• Like 3

Just now, The Cat said:

Fair result. We played pretty well and had chances but the final ball wasn't quite there.

Was a good second half with both teams going for the win.

Yes, a frustrating but fair result - Norwich always had that counter attacking threat while Saints produced many opportunities without the clinical finishing.   A little surprised that Alcaraz wasn't brought on earlier, ideally instead of Smallbone who just doesn't have that sharp attacking instinct or athleticism.    Hope the Edozie injury isn't too bad - the Norwich defender was lucky not to be red carded.    AA was busy all night, Stu and Airibo both just a little down on their best; Harwood-Bellis again impressive and a lovely assist from KWP.    I'm guessing Bednarek picked up a knock in being replaced - Stephens looked better when switched to CB.   Flynn Downes looked knackered late in the game.   In the end, a good point and a great festive haul - it just feels frustrating having got to 1-0 so late in the game.

• Like 1

Can’t win ‘em all. 

Didn’t enjoy the first half set up, looked much more solid second half. Their goal was weak and after sloppy play by us, tbf we always looked vulnerable on the break and we played into their hands. Not a bad result though. Hopefully Edozie’s injury was just an impact one and won’t be too serious.

• Like 1

Definitely feels like 2 points dropped. 

Che could have and possibly should have made it 2-0 and they went straight up the other end and equalised. 

You could definitely argue that the challenge on Edozie was a red card too, which would have changed the game. 

Both sides had their chances to win it though and both just as wasteful infront of goal. 

Edited by RedArmy

• Lighthouse changed the title to Norwich 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic