Saints 1-2 Millwall - Match Thread

ErwinK1961

1 minute ago, tdmickey3 said:

He missed the Bristol city game too was that a week ago too...FFS

I have no more posts today after this one so go bore someone else

Russell Martin said he was out for Bristol, not "he's close". He hasn't been saying he is close for a few weeks because he hasn't been injured for a few weeks. He's been injured since Hudds two weeks ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Russell Martin said he was out for Bristol, not "he's close". He hasn't been saying he is close for a few weeks because he hasn't been injured for a few weeks. He's been injured since Hudds two weeks ago.

Thank you, not sure why I expected any different from Always.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

He missed the Bristol city game too was that a week ago too...FFS

I have no more posts today after this one so go bore someone else

Thank christ for that. I can only imagine the state of this forum if you weren't too tight to pay a fiver. 

Although, to be fair, it would cost you a pretty penny to have a membership for all your accounts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

They've got their own injury problems. I reckon Klopp will rest their key players.

You'd like to think so given they have the cup final on Sunday and a Premier League game the following weekend. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

4 hours ago, trousers said:

Russell's actual words on Downes....

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/news/article/martin-to-exercise-caution-with-downes

Martin to exercise caution with Downes

Southampton manager Russell Martin has issued a positive update on the fitness of Flynn Downes, but reiterated he will need time ahead of his return to the side.

Downes has missed the last three games having been substituted on 33 minutes during the 5-3 win over Huddersfield at the start of February.

This week saw a return to the grass for the midfielder, but the manager will refer to his medical staff before determining how ready his player is.

"Flynn has trained for a couple of days, said Martin, "we just have to assess how he has reacted from today. We'll have a meeting with the medical staff, like we do every week. Then we’ll make a decision.

"Whether he starts, whether he’s on the bench, whether we wait until Liverpool to give him more time. If he’s ready to start, brilliant, if he’s ready for the bench, brilliant, if he’s not we'll give him more time."

Elsewhere with James Bree continuing his recovery with consistent training sessions the only long term absentees remain Juan Larios and Ross Stewart.

"returning to the grass", "crossing the white line" ...

Cliche season is well and truly upon us.. 

5 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

This has to be the starting lineup every week.  Bree at LB, but if he’s out then I would rather play my Nan than Manning.

Play this side and we’ll fucking destroy everyone in our way.  Come on Russell, stop fucking around and saying you love the players and start to get a fucking tune out of them.

Meghoma left back. He's a young kwp 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Sorry to be pedantic, and you definitely aren’t alone.

Just my two Gashead boys remind all the time there are 2 teams in Bristol. 

City and Rovers. Bristol FC doesn’t exist. 

Just for context. ( The pair of them are relentless in their mission).

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Saint Gifford said:

Sorry to be pedantic, and you definitely aren’t alone.

Just my two Gashead boys remind all the time there are 2 teams in Bristol. 

City and Rovers. Bristol FC doesn’t exist. 

Just for context. ( The pair of them are relentless in their mission).

Look, I love the exchange of pendantry.

Just to be clear and to avoid any confusion, I was in fact referring to our away match in Bristol ten days ago, rather than our last away trip to Bristol Rovers thirteen and a half years ago.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

57 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Look, I love the exchange of pendantry.

Just to be clear and to avoid any confusion, I was in fact referring to our away match in Bristol ten days ago, rather than our last away trip to Bristol Rovers thirteen and a half years ago.

Love it. The boys wind me up with that game. That was the one “on the beach” where the memorial was just covered in sand without a blade of grass. 

Soooo predictable Leeds should beat Leicester. They are undoubtedly the form team now and we probably need a mindset to go on a run like them (9 wins in a row now?) to stand a chance of an automatic promotion spot. So nothing but a convincing win here will do. 

Anything is possible of course, but it appears that of the top four, we're the ones wobbling. 

Can't afford a draw let alone another loss.

7 hours ago, musesaint said:

Nothing less than a convincing win will be acceptable.   

Not sure we’ll get that though. 

Love posts like this. So if we win 1-0 or 2-1 you’re going to be disappointed?

It was the same before Huddersfield.

• Like 1

I'm giving up on automatic promotion now and resigning myself to Saints stumbling towards the playoffs where a semi-final defeat lies in wait. A scratchy draw today will simply confirm that in my mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see Leeds go up as champions with a convincing win on the final day.

Go on Saints, prove me wrong.

I’ve just noticed another motivating factor for us to win today. 
3 points guarantees us safety from relegation as we wouldn’t be able mathematically get caught by the bottom three. 

Come on lads.   Let’s do this !

• Haha 4

I pretty sure the first thing Russ does on a Saturday morning is read this thread to gauge the mood and pick up any pointers. So Russ, bin off the rotation bollox and play the best 11. (This does not include Manning) And if Millwall have picked up a few clues from Hull, tell Baz and the fullbacks it's ok to play it long occasionally.  

• Like 2

Could have done without a change of manager for them, and one who turned us over in the LC earlier this season, will buoy their mob who were already looking forward to their big day out down on the coast.

Aribo starting will make a difference, particularly if Downes doesn't make it. Stop the fannying around at the back, get a bit of practice occasionally knocking it long before the Anfield onslaught midweek.

Heavy police today, horses and dispersal orders all over, they may see an opportunity to lift a few sorts as a south coast derby is looking more likely right now, so tread careful. Could be interesting along the A3 today with the skates heading to Charlton.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Don’t forget to clap on 60 minutes for this 🤣🤣🤣

IMG_4016.jpeg

Only my opinion but for me this totally cheapens and degrades when there is a minute of applause during a game for someone who has passed away.

Ridiculous, whats next? A minutes applause for the anniversary of Primark opening its Southampton store ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, obelisk said:

I'm giving up on automatic promotion now and resigning myself to Saints stumbling towards the playoffs where a semi-final defeat lies in wait. A scratchy draw today will simply confirm that in my mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see Leeds go up as champions with a convincing win on the final day.

Go on Saints, prove me wrong.

they don't make motivational speakers like they used to.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Anything is possible of course, but it appears that of the top four, we're the ones wobbling. 

What like Ipswich were wobbling a few games ago, and Leicester having a little wobble too by our standards atm. Anyone that thinks Leeds won’t have a wobble before the season’s out needs to give their head …err umm…….…a…….wobble?

Edited by Winnersaint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

they don't make motivational speakers like they used to.

Motivational speakers inevitably do the opposite for me. I'm normally in the Private Frazer camp when it comes to sport, sometimes wrongly I will admit. 😉

3 hours ago, Morse said:

I pretty sure the first thing Russ does on a Saturday morning is read this thread to gauge the mood and pick up any pointers. So Russ, bin off the rotation bollox and play the best 11. (This does not include Manning) And if Millwall have picked up a few clues from Hull, tell Baz and the fullbacks it's ok to play it long occasionally.  

Dont want to disappoint you but Baz kicked the ball long around 7/8 times in the first half alone v Hull. It was the most he’s done any match this season and we lost possession almost immediately each time. And it was a terrible first half. He was kicking it wide especially to RW and hull just were regaining possession.
Because very often AA was not there ( but I suspect he was meant to be). AA was deeper ready to pick up balls from the mf or cb’s. SO if the game plan was to attack that flank in particular Baz got the message and out the ball there but AA was out of position. On the left flank Sam was unable to challenge and win any long ball either. 
The long ball to Sam on left and Adam on the right was a failure. It might work with Kameldeen  and Ryan because they have genuine turn of pace. But if we are going to play that tactic the players must :

(1) be in the right position to receive and 

(2) have the pace to get to ball first if it’s flat or a distance to run to get it or 

(3) be able to compete for an aerial ball if it’s high - and come out still in possession 

Nothing wrong with playing long when circumstances dictate or even as default at times - but not stupidly as per first half last week. Poor show that was from Russell. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

However, Millwall are not one of the better side, so we should win..

Is there any chance you could repeat this 'flat track bully' stuff, say, every half an hour or so, just in case we lose track of how blimin' amusing and clever it is...? Appreciated , thanks 👍 ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Our record against the better sides clearly needs to be better, or we are unlikely to go up and the transformation into Swansea continues.

However, Millwall are not one of the better side, so we should win..

Yes especially away to the top five....... Oh wait we are one of them beat WBA and not played the rest away.

If it annoys you, Turkish and the other hipsters on this board I shall join in enthusiastically even if not too keen on the general idea..

In other news Yates seem to have doubled up their bouncer numbers but 'spoons haven't bothered and no bad vibes in this pub. The city day out to the seaside is, as is traditional, rainy.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Millwall - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic