Post-Match Reaction: MK Dons 0-6 SAINTS - Capital One Cup - Round 3

Saint-Armstrong

Man of the Match v MK Dons  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match v MK Dons

Just got back. What a farce-a total mismatch MKD were pathetic, Saints bossed the match from the beginning. My son and I agreed that we could never have imagined watching a 6-0 thrashing completely unexciting and boring.

Saints played well, Mane looked a different class to everyone else, Rodriguez took his goals well and it must have been the perfect way to get match fit, Long scored a couple. Ramirez showed some very classy touches and one superb pass, Van Dijk looked very comfortable on the ball and has an excellent touch.

Not too much to take away from a walkover though, ten to twelve wouldn't have flattered Saints

Impressive stadium, no atmosphere but not even half full.

I've never felt such a sense of anti-climax after such a good Saints win.

Just got back. What a farce-a total mismatch MKD were pathetic, Saints bossed the match from the beginning. My son and I agreed that we could never have imagined watching a 6-0 thrashing completely unexciting and boring.

Saints played well, Mane looked a different class to everyone else, Rodriguez took his goals well and it must have been the perfect way to get match fit, Long scored a couple. Ramirez showed some very classy touches and one superb pass, Van Dijk looked very comfortable on the ball and has an excellent touch.

Not too much to take away from a walkover though, ten to twelve wouldn't have flattered Saints

Impressive stadium, no atmosphere but not even half full.

I've never felt such a sense of anti-climax after such a good Saints win.

10,000 and a bit in a stadium with 40,000 seats in it.

Unbelievable that they went through, just knew it would happen. They were trash.

To be fair they had 50+ shots in the 120 minutes, it wasn't like they weren't totally on top, just couldn't score. I did laugh at Lallana though.

Also, if penalties are a "lottery", how come the higher-ranked side wins them the vast majority of the time?

Good to see Saints destroy a side from a lower division, reminds me how far we've come - especially as Dean Lewington is STILL their left back somehow, despite somehow-now-Premier League footballer Michail Antonio utterly taking him apart just by hoofing the ball past him and sprinting after it when we were in League One.

Nice to see Saints back to winning ways and big scoreline...just like the league rise years. Juanmi was poor and Cedric not much better but at least they were playing in the correct position. Otherwise VVD was fantastic and the frontline was top dollar.

Having only seen the goals, Juanmi seemed to be involved in a fair few of them.

A seemingly very impressive display, haven't been around much tonight, but caught the goals. Great to see Jay in this sort of form, he showed terrific pace on so many occasions. Also top work by Shane, he looked excellent tonight, always involved, could have had more goals.

Winning any game 6-0, away, is mighty impressive - no matter who it is. MK Don's aren't an awful side, but we put them to the sword and were totally ruthless. Now, if we can take that ruthlessness into the league...

See, personally, I didn't think we played too badly against Utd. In an attacking sense we caused them all sorts of problems, so I was never as worried as some were. We're a good side, plenty of options, lots of pace and moment up front. When it clicks, it's hard to contain for any team.

That was a pleasant evening, £12 ticket, nice stadium, choice of civilised eateries just outside, J-Rod back of the net in 3 ish minutes game over basically.

Saints looked tidy and despite the ease of win stayed professional to the end........... Unlike the Saints fans playing He's got a Mars bar on his head, she's got a Snickers on her head.

Back to the game, those who take joy in slagging Targett and Yoshida at full back should take the chance when it arises to watch Cedric, if there is a strong breeze the club must tie him down to the ground, I was amazed at how powder puff he was quite a surprise that MK didn't chuck everything down his side I can't recall him offering any resistance defensively Matty looked an old hand by comparison. Mané looked like he was having fun with the Dons players teasing them like you would a kitten with a bit of wool.

The only pain in the bottom was driving home with the Cone Trolls out playing especially on the A34 at Didcot.

That was a pleasant evening, £12 ticket, nice stadium, choice of civilised eateries just outside, J-Rod back of the net in 3 ish minutes game over basically.

Saints looked tidy and despite the ease of win stayed professional to the end........... Unlike the Saints fans playing He's got a Mars bar on his head, she's got a Snickers on her head.

Back to the game, those who take joy in slagging Targett and Yoshida at full back should take the chance when it arises to watch Cedric, if there is a strong breeze the club must tie him down to the ground, I was amazed at how powder puff he was quite a surprise that MK didn't chuck everything down his side I can't recall him offering any resistance defensively Matty looked an old hand by comparison. Mané looked like he was having fun with the Dons players teasing them like you would a kitten with a bit of wool.

The only pain in the bottom was driving home with the Cone Trolls out playing especially on the A34 at Didcot.

My sat nav took me

Just got home, diversion was a massive pain in the ass. Enjoyed that, bossed the game from start to finish. Surprised how strong the line up was, particularly in attack. Not normally a fan of out of town stadia but the setup there is class, and a stadium that good deserves to be full week in week out, Franchise don't deserve a home that good.

All in all, a good day out.

Great result, nice stadium, shame it was 2/3rds empty. Really good to see the goals shared around to give our forwards some confidence. Also proves we can play without Pelle up front if required, although MK were pretty poor.

Loved seeing us playing with loads of attack minded players on the pitch. We could worry some Prem teams with that positive approach.

Just got home, diversion was a massive pain in the ass. Enjoyed that, bossed the game from start to finish. Surprised how strong the line up was, particularly in attack. Not normally a fan of out of town stadia but the setup there is class, and a stadium that good deserves to be full week in week out, Franchise don't deserve a home that good.

All in all, a good day out.

Roadworks were a joke, you have to keep one major route south open surely.

Welcome to my world for the past 6 months.

Barely any people working but loads of cones out. Sometimes I wonder if it's just some sort of elaborate troll that has become too big to stop.

Would also like to thank the numpties who sit at 45 in the inside lane and the Middle lane stanley's who sit next to the. Doing the same. Oh and the people who have no clue what size their car is and refuse to use the outside lane because it's restricted to vehicles of 6'6" or less.(especially the ones who come shooting up the outside, pull in front of me and then stamp on the brakes when they realise they should be doing 50.

/rant

One good performance against a team from a lower division does not a Season make. We need to see this kind of performance against some PL sides

Edited by Mr Biscuits

Great result, nice stadium, shame it was 2/3rds empty. Really good to see the goals shared around to give our forwards some confidence. Also proves we can play without Pelle up front if required, although MK were pretty poor.

Loved seeing us playing with loads of attack minded players on the pitch. We could worry some Prem teams with that positive approach.

But, we have already employed four ip front on several occasions this year and really struggled so tempting as it is to assume this criteria is a great tactic in the premier league you have to employ slightly more caution and control midfield........ Particularly against Swansea or we will get murdered....

Nice draw for us. Shame the big guns avoided each other though!!

On another note, that's the first time in MK Dons history that they've conceded 6 goals!

They don't have a history! Noddy club, noddy fans. Can't stand them so very glad we dished out a hammering. The gulf in class so was ridiculous it was embarrassing at times. They didn't have a clue of how to deal with our pace and movement.

Just going to add to the grumbles about the A34 diversions. There must have been a quicker way than the route the diversion took us.

A very satisfactory game to have gone to.

Stek: One dodgy moment coming for the ball

Cedric: Very poor. Little going forward & looked suspect against very weak opposition. On this evidence you can see why we're playing a makeshift right back instead. Worrying that we've brought in 2 right backs and look like we'll need to buy another one come January to address the obvious weakness in the team.

Targett: Decent display by him. Still needs to work on his delivery.

Fonte: Grew in confidence as the game went on.

Van Dijk: Excellent on ball, excellent reading of the game. Only time he looked troubled was via one route one ball.

Romeu: Another one who as the game went on grew in confidence. Nice to see after a very mediocre display against united.

Davis: Very good display by davis with the obvious exception of his shooting.

Juanmi: Poor display. Explains why he hasn't had a sniff of premiership football so far.

Jrod; Absolutely delightful first goal.

Mane: Class above everyone else on the pitch. It was criminal he was even playing to be honest.

Long: Typical industrious long display, kept working till he got his goals.

Subs:

Bertrand: Looked good, hopefully back in starting xi at the weekend.

Gaston: Great to see him back, some sublime balls through. Would be great if we could keep him fit and get him involved.

Yoshida: Tidy but with little to do.

They don't have a history! Noddy club, noddy fans. Can't stand them so very glad we dished out a hammering. The gulf in class so was ridiculous it was embarrassing at times. They didn't have a clue of how to deal with our pace and movement.

Just going to add to the grumbles about the A34 diversions. There must have been a quicker way than the route the diversion took us.

They are a ****house of a club, last season 26000 turned up to watch them against Man U in round 2 and 8000 in round 4. There is no great local interest in the club.

Never follow the official diversion, they don't take you the shortest way anymore especially night diversions and everyone else is following it. Go freestyle and it will save you loads of time.

Gaston was good. Picked out some nice passes, worked hard enough, kept his position. I guess he did exactly what Koeman wanted which is what he has to do if he wants more game time.

Still, it's like a number 5 batsman coming in on a docile wicket when you're 400/3. Expected to score a bunch of runs so gets little praise when he does.

Who has got the Mars bar on their head now?

Is the Erwin/Ronald Koeman song less embarrassing than the Steven/Kelvin Davis version?

Is it highly lame to have a song with the same tune for 2 players, especially when one replaces the other and it segues together?

Leaving a likely scenario of City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Leicester as the rest of the 1/4 finalists. Too strong a pool really.

Indeed, I'm dwelling on it but the chance was last year in the Carling Cup and the year before in the FA Cup when not only did we have stronger teams than we do now, but the draw had really opened up for us with big clubs being knocked out left, right and centre.

These are cup matches, where anything can happen, as proven by lowly Carlisle taking Liverpool right to the line. Any of those other teams could beat the ones you have chosen, depending on how they play on the night and which teams are put out by the supposedly stronger ones, who have other commitments in Europe.

It's also debateable whether our teams of the last two years were stronger than the one we have now.

These are cup matches, where anything can happen, as proven by lowly Carlisle taking Liverpool right to the line. Any of those other teams could beat the ones you have chosen, depending on how they play on the night and which teams are put out by the supposedly stronger ones, who have other commitments in Europe.

It's also debateable whether our teams of the last two years were stronger than the one we have now.

Absolutely debatable, but to win that debate would take some awesome debating skills IMO

Cedric seems to have a major flaw in his game as a defender; he cannot defend. Juanmi looked to be a poor addition to the squad and was too easily muscled out of the game. The rest - it was a joy to watch even against such a poor side. A word of thanks to MK Dons for their organisation and help with one of our number; a disabled fan.

Very enjoyable evening, though as mentioned by some, a rather subdued atmosphere despite the score line.

Lovely to see JRod looking much improved, Mane was pure class as was VVD (reminds me of a young Rio Ferdinand).

Have to say I was underwhelmed by Soares and Juanmi (bearing in mind the opposition) but great to see Gaston given a chance and he looked very classy (though how he'd do against Prem opposition remains to be seen).

Onwards and upwards.

Bitter sweet for me…up until last night I had seen all of the 6-0 away wins, so shame it wasn't 7!

In reality of course the other 6-0 wins were in much more competitive games against more evenly matched teams, well same division at least!

The best of the four has to be Oldham by a mile.

Bitter sweet for me…up until last night I had seen all of the 6-0 away wins, so shame it wasn't 7!

In reality of course the other 6-0 wins were in much more competitive games against more evenly matched teams, well same division at least!

I know we're talking about 6-0 away wins, but on a tenuous link - I didn't miss a home game at the Dell from 1992 until St Mary's, except one. I was too ill to attend the midweek FA Cup replay against Luton in 1995. 6-0. Typical.

With you on the Oldham match. Top class and going to be a very long time before we do that again, if ever.

Forgive me for being skeptical about Gaston but we always knew he had the ability and skill to play as well as this, when he has the time and space to do it. Problem is, he'll get that extra bit of time in matches against lower-Championship teams and (arguably) in the Italian league, but we know he goes missing against nearly all the teams in the Premier League. I guess all he can do is produce when he gets the opportunity though, so if he keeps doing that then he deserves more game time.

Funny how it seems as though he's become a bit of a cult hero with the number of different chants for him, "Gaston Ramirez, he's back from the dead", "If Gaston scores, we're on the pitch" etc. Reminded me of post-promotion Guly.

Juanmi was pretty disappointing, he seems reluctant to shoot and tries to walk it into the net instead. The one time he was put through by a superb through ball by Gaston, he made a really inaccurate pass that went to the defender in the goalmouth area when there were strikers available, and the shot could also have been on. It was only sheer luck that their defender cleared it straight into Long's chest!

Seems a shame to make a largely negative post about such an excellent performance so I will also mention how insanely good Mane was, only on for about an hour but easily MOTM for me. Fantastic first goal by Rodriguez. And Davis played really well too.

What was the chant about the guy with the Mars bar/Snickers on his head all about, is there some sort of joke I'm not in on?!

Forgive me for being skeptical about Gaston but we always knew he had the ability and skill to play as well as this, when he has the time and space to do it. Problem is, he'll get that extra bit of time in matches against lower-Championship teams and (arguably) in the Italian league, but we know he goes missing against nearly all the teams in the Premier League. I guess all he can do is produce when he gets the opportunity though, so if he keeps doing that then he deserves more game time.

Funny how it seems as though he's become a bit of a cult hero with the number of different chants for him, "Gaston Ramirez, he's back from the dead", "If Gaston scores, we're on the pitch" etc. Reminded me of post-promotion Guly.

Juanmi was pretty disappointing, he seems reluctant to shoot and tries to walk it into the net instead. The one time he was put through by a superb through ball by Gaston, he made a really inaccurate pass that went to the defender in the goalmouth area when there were strikers available, and the shot could also have been on. It was only sheer luck that their defender cleared it straight into Long's chest!

Seems a shame to make a largely negative post about such an excellent performance so I will also mention how insanely good Mane was, only on for about an hour but easily MOTM for me. Fantastic first goal by Rodriguez. And Davis played really well too.

What was the chant about the guy with the Mars bar/Snickers on his head all about, is there some sort of joke I'm not in on?!

It's not a joke, we just have fans who find chants funny that aren't funny.

Watching the extended highlights it does look like Juanmi is not 100% match fit,a couple of times we were on the break and he couldn't keep up with Mane and Jay

Also has Davis gained a yard of pace? he went on a decent run in that game and looked quick,I remember him doing that in the utd game as well and he looked quicker.

Also big up J-rod,he sounds like the most miserable man in football,he could score a hat trick in the world cup final and he would still sound like he has just put down his beloved pet in the post match interview,