Matt Targett - Joins Aston Villa (Official)

Kaiser Soze

I think he's got decent enough pace. He's not Sadio Mane but it's enough for him to get to the byline and put crosses in. 1 goal and 3 assists in 16 last season compared to Bertrand's 1 goal and 0 assists in 24. https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/18/Show/England-Southampton

I like Bertand he's a very good player, but like with Pelle, think that it's worth cashing in on him while we can.

Would rather sell the player in decline than the one who's improving.

As a fullback Targett is a massive downgrade on Bertrand. As a left midfielder he’s not bad but equally he’s not great.

He doesn’t have the positional sense to guard our flanks and a straightforward give-and-go will get past him every time. He can’t play tight marking because he doesn’t have the speed and if he stands off the other winger will just skim past him.

Great header at the end of last season though.

Letting Bertie go and promoting Targett to first choice definitely weakens the team defensively. For all the good they showed last season, a potential starting back 4 including Valery, Targett, and Bednarek is extremely inexperienced.

I think he's got decent enough pace. He's not Sadio Mane but it's enough for him to get to the byline and put crosses in. 1 goal and 3 assists in 16 last season compared to Bertrand's 1 goal and 0 assists in 24. https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/18/Show/England-Southampton

I like Bertand he's a very good player, but like with Pelle, think that it's worth cashing in on him while we can.

Rowlocks, Targett is a snail.Decent crosser, though.

he is slow as ****. say what you want about any other facet of his game, he has a great first touch for starters, but when it comes to running, quickly, this lad does not do that.

Cashing in on Pelle hasn't exactly worked out well for us though has it? With him, we caused teams problems and were top half. Without him we have been relatively toothless and relegation candidates...oh and we have spent god knows how much on Austin, Ings and Carillo since we 'cashed in'.

Bertrand has not been in decline. He's as good now as he was two seasons ago despite what teh body language readers on here might have you believe. We have him contracted for two more seasons and we should be thankful for that. He is a top six club player in a bottom six side.

he is slow as ****. say what you want about any other facet of his game, he has a great first touch for starters, but when it comes to running, quickly, this lad does not do that.

Cashing in on Pelle hasn't exactly worked out well for us though has it? With him, we caused teams problems and were top half. Without him we have been relatively toothless and relegation candidates...oh and we have spent god knows how much on Austin, Ings and Carillo since we 'cashed in'.

Bertrand has not been in decline. He's as good now as he was two seasons ago despite what teh body language readers on here might have you believe. We have him contracted for two more seasons and we should be thankful for that. He is a top six club player in a bottom six side.

Must agree - Targett is a very good Championship LB and an average Prem player with lack of speed to create width his main weakness. If the Club can reprise the supposed offer of this time last year then selling would be very good business. Bertrand continues to be among our best players and has the game and athleticism to add value to Ralph's rebuild.

Probably b0llocks but...

https://www.90min.com/posts/6392446-exclusive-liverpool-make-enquiry-to-southampton-over-signing-of-left-back-matt-targett?utm_source=RSS

Exclusive: Liverpool Make Enquiry to Southampton Over Signing of Left Back Matt Targett

Liverpool have enquired about the availability of Southampton left-back Matt Targett, as they search for an understudy to Andy Robertson.

The 23-year-old featured fleetingly at St Mary's last season, making 21 appearances in all competitions after returning to the club after a successful loan spell at Fulham during the 2017/18 campaign.

The Reds are in the market for a new full-back after opting not to renew Alberto Moreno's contract at the end of the season - leaving Robertson and the versatile James Milner as the only options at manager Jurgen Klopp's disposal.

Aston Villa have also been credited with an interest in Targett, but 90min understands that ​Liverpool have approached Southampton over a possible deal for the former England Under-21 international.

Though he would arrive at Anfield as understudy to Robertson, Targett would undoubtedly be interested in a move to the ​Champions League winners as he has struggled to dislodge Ryan Bertrand as first choice at Southampton.

His 16 Premier League appearances last season consisted of 13 starts and three substitute appearances, but his involvement under Ralph Hasenhüttl, who was appointed as ​Saints manager in December, saw him mainly operate on the left hand side of midfield.

A move away from the club could see him restored to his favoured full-back position, and would enable Liverpool to ease the workload on Robertson, who started 35 Premier League games last season as the Reds finished runners-up to Manchester City by a solitary point.

Targett, meanwhile, has been encouraged by England's coaching staff to seek regular first-team action in order to boost his prospects of playing senior international football, but that is unlikely to deter him from listening to what Liverpool have to offer.

Targett produces some brilliant crosses and is underrated by our fans, which is very unusual lol

I'm not going to disagree with that, but as a LB whose primary duty is to defend, the ability to occasionally ping in a decent cross is no good if he is constantly letting opposition wingers get the better of him and produce some of their own. The amount of times Targett failed to stop crosses coming in from his side during his run in the team last season was horrifying.

I'm not going to disagree with that, but as a LB whose primary duty is to defend, the ability to occasionally ping in a decent cross is no good if he is constantly letting opposition wingers get the better of him and produce some of their own. The amount of times Targett failed to stop crosses coming in from his side during his run in the team last season was horrifying.
I take that on board but I dont think that was just in the case of MT!!! We had an International full back who let the same thing happen on many occasions. Hopefully the new manager can work on this part of the game.

His inswinging crosses in front of defences would be much loved by clinical forwards

After the success of VVD and Mane Liverpool must see us as the place for bargains.

Certainly let them take Targett. A straight swap for Ings I would say. Bite their hands off if they offer decent money. Targett is no VVD or Mane.

Either Targett has a very hard working agent and all this paper talk is their work, or, other clubs see something in him that Saints fans are blind to.

No,no I think you’ll find that the club is engaged in covert manoeuvres to plant fictitious stories to make the sale of Bertrand more palatable to us idiots on a messageboard. Obvs innit.

He's a good wing-back with a great cross.

He's also a pretty poor full-back who is generally easy to get past 1v1.

With a system that uses 3 central defenders he can be an asset. In a back 4 he can be a liability.

I understand the accepted viewpoint here is precisely this, but I’m struggling to think of many times where there’s been “where the fluck is Danny Fox” type moments with Targett, nor where he has been comprehensively outplayed. I’m sure it’s because I’m old and people will correct me.

I can absolutely see why a young English player would be of interest to some of the big clubs, particularly if they just want him as backup on a relatively low wage. That doesn't mean he's really good enough to be the first choice of a solid midtable prem team which is what we aspire to be.

I understand the accepted viewpoint here is precisely this, but I’m struggling to think of many times where there’s been “where the fluck is Danny Fox” type moments with Targett, nor where he has been comprehensively outplayed. I’m sure it’s because I’m old and people will correct me.

It's not his positioning that's really the issue. It's his glaring lack of pace and unwillingness/inability to put in a tackle that makes him easy for oppo wingers to get past.

Every time he plays fullback. Away to Newcastle a few sesons ago is a good example.

Those of us who used to play in that position are probably more sensitive to his failings than others.

He also never seems to like to overlap down the wing either, which makes him far less of a threat than Bertrand going forward. I'd say he's arguably not at the required level to play in the Premier League, let alone sign for one of the "big boys", but I guess he's relatively young, and counts towards their homegrown quota.

It's not his positioning that's really the issue. It's his glaring lack of pace and unwillingness/inability to put in a tackle that makes him easy for oppo wingers to get past.

Nobody “tackles” these days - except Wan-Bissaka who picks up a booking per appearance. Pace is not the most important attribute for a full back - there are plenty in the PL who are similarly paced.

There is a tendency to obsess on the weaknesses of our players, rather than celebrate their strengths.

I remember an interview with a well respected foreign import ( I think it was Ces Fabregas but not 100% on that) where he stated he couldn't understand why English crowds were so appreciative of a defender making a tackle. in his eyes having to make a tackle was a last resort and a sign of failure. If a defender anticipated and positioned himself correctly there was no need, you simply shepherded a forward to go where he didn't want to go, or forced him to make a non-constructive pass.

Of course, if he lets a winger get past him then he's failed on all counts.

Nobody “tackles” these days - except Wan-Bissaka who picks up a booking per appearance. Pace is not the most important attribute for a full back - there are plenty in the PL who are similarly paced.

There is a tendency to obsess on the weaknesses of our players, rather than celebrate their strengths.

Tendency, I thought it was compulsory on here.

Edited by Micky

Pace is not the most important attribute for a full back - there are plenty in the PL who are similarly paced.

Pace at fullback is essential, without it they drop deep, don't get tight and fail to provide meaningful cover to centre halves. Top class fullbacks without pace simply don't exist.

Pace at fullback is essential, without it they drop deep, don't get tight and fail to provide meaningful cover to centre halves. Top class fullbacks without pace simply don't exist.

He isn’t top class. But then again, if he was he wouldn’t still be with us. I’ll be very surprised if the links to top 6 teams are anything but b0llocks.

• 2 weeks later...
Its their local media so not too bad a source.

@mjmarr_star:

Believe #avfc are poised to firm up their interest in Southampton left-back Matt Targett with a formal bid. More @ExpressandStar shortly.

Surely anything above £10m is worth taking for a player whose good PL matches could probably be counted on a severed hand.

Seems like a sensible move all round. We need to generate cash for signings in other areas and Targett needs first team place. I would imagine we will try to push them up a bit from the 8m quoted though.

Would rather we move Targett on than Bertrand.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I hope this works our for him. He deserves a chance at the big time but not here. Too much history and baggage for the fans to accept him as first choice.

Also means a better chance that Burlington Bertie will stay creating a chance for Vokins or even Ramsey to work as his under-study and a few first team outings.

Would be a good move for the kid. He'll easily displace Neil Taylor, who is absolute mince.

I've got a vague recollection Taylor was one of our rumoured targets to replace Shaw way back when. Safe to say we got that one right by plumping for Bertrand instead.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Considering IIRC Fulham were offering more like £12 million last year, I'd hope that initial bid would just be a starting point and we'd be able to get more from them.

Things seem to be moving all round as we get closer to July.

I think 10 million would be a fair price for a player of his ability. Lacks pace and often gets caught out of position but can deliver the occasional decent cross. From what I've seen of Vokins I'd be happy to have him as a backup to Bertrand next season.

If we manage to get a combined £15 million for Austin and Targett then I'd be happy with that. It would fund a new first team player.