Saints 1 Sunderland 0 - Arsenal away in the quarter-final

St Chalet

MotM vs Sunderland (EFL Cup R16 2016)  

272 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Sunderland (EFL Cup R16 2016)

I think six academy boys was a step to far quality wise luckily Sunderland were truly awful and Boufal came up with a match winning moment of absolute class.

admittedly ..it was a below par game but won with a truly magical goal (ala MLT).

It's only one match, but having 6 Academy lads on the pitch at the same time is a good sign.

They won't all make Prem. careers, but the fact that we bred them and they got to play together is certainly noteworthy.

Great goal from Boufal, and a few moments where is control was Hazard-esque. A player like that on the pitch changes the dynamic - other teams will be scared of him, and I'm not sure we've had a player opponents genuinely fear since we returned to the Prem.

Sadio had that effect on defenses, but you are right once Boufal gets up to speed and has better players looking for him he will open up a lot of space.

Won a game where genuine bit of quality from someone gave it to us!

A bit like Coutinho long shots last season and they win 1-0!

Glad but yeah will have to rotate- really hope we beat Prague and Inter by the time we play Beer Sheva- then we can play a mid to strong team for this.

Get to the semis and I'll start thinking of Wembley!!!

Yoshida MOM did really well. Reed and McQueen good performances too.

Touch of class won it. Terrible atmosphere but expected with Kingsland shut.

Shout out for Redmond who looked class when he came on his body shape when receiving it is brilliant half turn and attack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dull game. Great goal. fantastic to see 6 academy players on the pitch. JWP, Reed and McQueen will be regulars now. Isgrove will make it too - but sadly not with us I suspect. Stephens looked Ok for someone played out of position (though I do appreciate he started life as a right back). Olomola - well a bit too early to judge but pretty well bullied off the ball all night by some experienced pros. I like the look of McCarthy. A step up on Stek.

Claude Puel has shown he has total belief in himself, in his players, and has nerves of steel. Above all he never panics. A truly great manager who knows how to get the best out of his players.

Took guts to replace Rodriguez with Olomola, who looked awful at first, yet he settled down and didn't look so bad once he'd gained confidence.

Puel maintained his nerve with later substitutions when a manager of less courage might have gone for VVD. McCarthy did well to hold the goal when he was obviously in pain. Thank goodness Sunderland never equalised and the match gone to penalties. Once again Claude showed his faith and cast iron nerves.

The draw for the next round gives Puel the opportunity to get one over his former mentor, having grown in experience since we played them in the Premier League.

Dull game. Great goal. fantastic to see 6 academy players on the pitch. JWP, Reed and McQueen will be regulars now. Isgrove will make it too - but sadly not with us I suspect. Stephens looked Ok for someone played out of position (though I do appreciate he started life as a right back). Olomola - well a bit too early to judge but pretty well bullied off the ball all night by some experienced pros. I like the look of McCarthy. A step up on Stek.

Jwp was awful, no way he's going to be regular.

Really bad draw. I'd imagine we'll still make changes and Arsenal's team will probably just be too strong.

One of my earliest Saints memories is the 87 Semi against Liverpool and it seems like a curse that we'll never get to a LC Semi again.

Even when we got a League 1 side, we still messed it up.

Really bad draw. I'd imagine we'll still make changes and Arsenal's team will probably just be too strong.

One of my earliest Saints memories is the 87 Semi against Liverpool and it seems like a curse that we'll never get to a LC Semi again.

Well we don't have Steve Baker now as right back now who lifted his leg make sure first goal went in .. Not that those that were there remember it !

Sometimes I hate "coincidences".

The last time we saw a goal like that (and in that top corner of that goal) it came from the right foot of a raving f*ckwit who cost us a shedload of wasted money.

God, I sound like Alpine.

Different end though, so we might be OK!

There are not any good draws at this stage. At some point you have to meet 'em and beat 'em to win a trophy.

Yoshida MOM did really well. Reed and McQueen good performances too.

Touch of class won it. Terrible atmosphere but expected with Kingsland shut.

Shout out for Redmond who looked class when he came on his body shape when receiving it is brilliant half turn and attack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Yoshida, Reed, Hojbjerg, McQueen and Fonte all good tonight and of course the Boufal moment was pure magic. There were a few poor performances on the night - Stephens, Hesketh and Ward-Prowse were ineffective. Great cameo from Redmond - his speed is exceptional; thought Olamola was a brave change by Puel and he showed enough to keep himself in the frame.

Agreed. Yoshida, Reed, Hojbjerg, McQueen and Fonte all good tonight and of course the Boufal moment was pure magic. There were a few poor performances on the night - Stephens, Hesketh and Ward-Prowse were ineffective. Great cameo from Redmond - his speed is exceptional; thought Olamola was a brave change by Puel and he showed enough to keep himself in the frame.

Hesketh did not play!

A crap game made great by a moment of sheer brilliance that will linger on in the memory as the successful home debut of Boufal. It was the game where we played 6 of our home grown academy players, yet still had enough quality to have won a league cup match against PL opposition. Fonte and Yoshida gave us enough experience in defence and Hojbjerg enough experience in front of them, to allow a degree of youthful experimentation around them and Puel's daring tactics having produced the win, are to be applauded. He had made provisions on the bench to have strong substitutions available if needed, but the team acquitted themselves well enough that drastic changes were not needed. On paper, a team like this would have been taken apart by a top team, but Puel gauged it just right with Sunderland, that the youngsters would give their all and that players like Boufal or Redmond could push us over the line. Comparing him to Koeman, it is unlikely that Koeman would have dared to have chosen to play so many academy players, but also there wouldn't have been the depth of choice available to him otherwise to have had players fresh enough to have ground out the result.

Puel has been either lucky, or very astute tactically and the more we progress, the more I am inclined to believe that we have acquired a very good manager.

As well as having several key players out injured, and having to rotate our squad to avoid over-tiredness because of the frequency of matches, we are managing to still be solid in defence and capable of winning games. It really is an achievement worthy of the highest praise.