Utd vs Saints - Build Up

skintsaint

They are on a roll and that Greenwood fella looks an amazing finisher.

Will have to play bloody well with tired legs to get anything from this, especially when they can foul opposition players to win penalties.

Think we can sneak a draw at best...2-2.

It’s funny because when I think we’ve got no hope the team pull it off.

When I think we will win easily we get spanked.

Now United are the inform team since the mini season restarted and they have a full squad to choose from.

I personally think a 3-1 defeat with a Ings goal is going to be the outcome and that we don’t play too many squad players.

Then we bed the squad players in the rest of the games as Smallbone, Ferry etc deserve a chance.

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Curious, normally would the team stay in North West in this sort of situation? Assuming they had to head back to Southampton in current climate?

I think they rarely stayed unless games were very close together. This is 4 days and it's only a 40 minute flight.

7 hours ago, Pilchards said:

It’s funny because when I think we’ve got no hope the team pull it off.

When I think we will win easily we get spanked.

Now United are the inform team since the mini season restarted and they have a full squad to choose from.

I personally think a 3-1 defeat with a Ings goal is going to be the outcome and that we don’t play too many squad players.

Then we bed the squad players in the rest of the games as Smallbone, Ferry etc deserve a chance.

I think playing youngsters has merit against 'weaker' teams.

Having said that presumably the players (and Manager?) get win bonuses and there is a million or so additional cash from a final league position so there are significant benefits from fielding your strongest side.

12 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Guys, this is one game where anything less than defeat by 3 goals is a moral victory.

ps. are we really playing Man Utd on Monday and then Brighton on Thursday night, and Bournemouth on Sunday?? 3 games in 7 days? We're gonna need some squad rotation next week.

Yeah, I do worry a bit about us pushing some of our key players too hard and the potential of someone breaking down at some point.

As tempting as it is to keep playing the same 11 when they are performing so well, I think there comes a point where it's common sense to rest a few, especially as we are safe now.

Ings has played pretty much every minute since the restart and has put a prodigious amount of effort into those games. I'm certain he will never volunteer for a break especially with a chance of top scorer at stake but that doesn't mean it's not the right thing to give him one anyway. With the way he is now playing, it would be an absolute nightmare for us and him if he did push things too far and faced a lay off going into next season as a result.

So regrettably I would start Long in this one, try to stick in the game and unleash Ings in the last half hour or so. Then he'll be fresher for Brighton and Bournemouth when logically you would expect him to have more opportunities to score anyway.

Not expecting to get much support for this view though 😉

Their weak link is the donkey McGuire. Very over rated  and will not be able to cope with Ings Adams and Long. Can see quite a few bookings against Saints because pride comes before a fall and United just don’t like being humiliated. I’m going for a narrow Saints win. 

The second of 4 games in 11 days. And the third and fourth look much more winnable.

I would make a few changes for this one normally but seeing as we aren’t really playing for anything do we just go with the same guys, providing they are not getting over exposed to injury?

Edited by benjii

17 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Utd are scoring for fun at the moment and their front 3 are on fire. I'd be more than happy with a point.

But they looked vulnerable against Villa and were struggling to score until the ref realised they needed a bit of help. We can't have Project Get Man U in the CL failing.

If we get in their faces and press at the right times we can get something. But every challenge we make will be penalised and we'll probably get a card or two early on to curb our enthusiasm.

It is annoying really that despite the options of 5 subs we don’t really have 5 solid options to sub on.

I remember the home fixture very well and Danso had a really good game before that reckless red card and Vestergaard scored a towering header.

I think Ralph will play a strong team and rotate for the next one a little bit (hoping Djenepo/Boufal will be back)

Ultimately it is just 4 more games left before they get a month off.

If they can play at 100% for the first 60 minutes and perhaps give us something to defend I’ll be confident in a result of some sort.

So yeah start same 11, but perhaps use subs earlier 

Prediction: 1-0 to Manchester United though

Most teams that go to OT sit back behind the ball and rely on the odd counter attack for any scoring opportunities. If Saints play the high press in their faces game as well as they did on Thursday it will force United to change the way they play which will unsettle the system that has brought them recent success. Sure they are fast and efficient going forward but if they are not able to do that but have to defend more than they are used to and battle more for midfield control then anything is possible.

Far from being phased by United's recent form we have a very real chance of getting a result and I am looking forward with high hopes of a victory. Keeping a clean sheet may sound too optimistic with their fire power and height in the box but as long as we can hold the ball and not make stupid mistakes and improve our finishing 3-1 to Saints looks possible.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

5 hours ago, nta786 said:

It is annoying really that despite the options of 5 subs we don’t really have 5 solid options to sub on.

I remember the home fixture very well and Danso had a really good game before that reckless red card and Vestergaard scored a towering header.

I think Ralph will play a strong team and rotate for the next one a little bit (hoping Djenepo/Boufal will be back)

Ultimately it is just 4 more games left before they get a month off.

If they can play at 100% for the first 60 minutes and perhaps give us something to defend I’ll be confident in a result of some sort.

So yeah start same 11, but perhaps use subs earlier 

Prediction: 1-0 to Manchester United though

Djenepo Boufal and Valery are probably out for the season, according to Ralph.

wouldn t be suprised if Boufal has played his last game for us

36 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Annoying to lose Djenpo but Boufal doesn't fit our system and Valery is absolutely terrible. 

Given Djenpo's injury record and Boufal clearly being on the way out, we really need extra attacking options for the bench. I don't think we'll be signing anyone better than Redmond/Armstrong will we. But someone who can come in and compete, offer a different option. 

Could use someone like Will Ferry? Really highly rated from the academy.

Expecting us to lose, but fully expecting us to be well in this game.

My concern is just how clinical they are, and they now have threat all over the pitch which they haven't really had for some time.

We'll press are harry them though, and we might be able to give ourselves something to hole on to.

COYS!

My concern is that although we have a very fit team, Ralph is relying on the same players to play 3 games a week. I think Redmond and Bertrand both need a rest however we just don't have the players available to be able to do it. 

I doubt we'll get anything from this one as they are on fire and have more to play for...

Now that Bournemouth have beaten Leicester (strange game) their tails will be up and our chances have diminished !

I'd hate to see the season fizzle out but given the size of the squad, tired legs and the number of games in a very limited period I'm not desperately optimistic !

Please prove me wrong lads,

COYS😇

On 11/07/2020 at 11:54, nta786 said:

Christ was that this season?  Seems like ages ago now

• Like 1

Stifle/upset Pogba would be my game plan. Stick Oriel or JWP on him (assuming the latter replicates his sneaky tactics employed against Wilf Zaha as their playmaker). That cuts off supply. Then hope that the ref doesn't give utterly ludicrous penalties to them, like they got last time out...

However, big ask. Cannot see us not conceding. 3-1.

Man Utd have really found good form since the unlock, and also have a lot to play for right now. So I expect their motivation to be very high.
We are also playing well, but I think that sadly they have the players, form and motivation so expecting a loss. That said, I do not think it will be a stuffing and I can see us scoring - so I guess 2-1 to Man Utd.
Still, anything can happen!

The way we're playing right now has all the hallmarks of a Pochettino side at its best for us. His first away fixture was at OT and we were superb that night. They've certainly got a bit more to play for than us, if we retain the zip of recent matches we'll give them a game - but I'm hopeful more than expectant.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Stifle/upset Pogba would be my game plan. Stick Oriel or JWP on him (assuming the latter replicates his sneaky tactics employed against Wilf Zaha as their playmaker). That cuts off supply. Then hope that the ref doesn't give utterly ludicrous penalties to them, like they got last time out...

However, big ask. Cannot see us not conceding. 3-1.

Personally I'd be more worried about dealing with Fernandes - he's the crux of their team at the moment, he's more consistent, and has been the catalyst for them looking like a proper football team again. He's making them tick. 

Although Pogba's not bad either, like. 

On 11/07/2020 at 08:16, hasper57saint said:

Their weak link is the donkey McGuire. Very over rated  and will not be able to cope with Ings Adams and Long. Can see quite a few bookings against Saints because pride comes before a fall and United just don’t like being humiliated. I’m going for a narrow Saints win. 

Quite possible

• Jimmy_D unpinned and locked this topic