Stuart Armstrong

Saint_clark

Saints posted on Facebook that he's been involved in 5 goals in his last 6 appearances with 2 goals and 3 assists. 

I've seen a fair few people saying we should be looking to replace him on the right wing next season and I don't really understand why, he's been a brilliant signing for us and for me would be ahead of Redmond in the "wingers" pecking order due to the fact he actually consistently contributes. 

Would be interested to see him lining up just behind Ings to play off him and run beyond him. 

I'm a big fan, maybe he'll move more centrally? I just feel he lacks pace on the right and then there's a lot of reliance on KWP for e.g to provide the width, so our attacks are often lopsided. That's all I'd say, I wouldn't drop him though as he's been pretty spot on most of this season.

This is what Ralph said today -

"Stu is adapting more and more to this formation and has surprised us all with his finishing," said Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl. "He's adapted his game to our philosophy and this is very positive."

I think he’s great - i think our resurgence coincided with his return to the side, and I get concerned now if he’s not starting as I think he’s an extremely important cog. He plays like someone caught between being a CM and a winger and i think that fits perfectly for us. Absolute steal at what we paid for him 

• Like 1

I like him, we have found a perfect niche for him as he has good skills for a Ralph #10 particularly when balanced with the more refined Redmond. I don't think he is technically good enough to be a PL central midfielder so this suits him perfectly.

Good acceleration, direct, can shoot with both feet and works hard.

Even though he isn't a young player he still feels like a rough diamond who has some improvement in him.

He is quite probably the best Scottish player right now. He is a potent finisher and has scored some fine goals for us. He also has bucket loads of energy.

When he arrived I confess to have not been able to see why the club had brought him in but the lad has proved me wrong and deserves his regular starting place. Comes across as an old fashioned inside right.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

8 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

He is quite probably the best Scottish player right now. He is a potent finisher and has scored some fine goals for us. He also has bucket loads of energy.

When he arrived I confess to have not been able to see why the club had brought him in but the lad has proved me wrong and deserves his regular starting place. Comes across as an old fashioned inside right.

better than world, european and premier league champion?

wow

On 15/07/2020 at 05:08, Matthew Le God said:

Armstrong is to the 2019/20 season what Steven Davis was between 2012 and 2016. Dismissed as replaceable by some, but you miss him when he isn't playing.

Well, they're similar aside from Armstrong's goals and assists...

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

2015/16 - Davis 5 league goals

2019/20 - Armstrong 5 league goals

Why have you cherry picked a single season to justify your 2012-2016 comparison?

On current league goals/appearances, Armstrong is averaging a goal every 7 games and an assist every 11 games, while Davis averaged a goal every 16 games and an assist every 10 games. Davis also had the benefit of playing in a much better side.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2020 at 13:08, Matthew Le God said:

Armstrong is to the 2019/20 season what Steven Davis was between 2012 and 2016. Dismissed as replaceable by some, but you miss him when he isn't playing.

100 percent. Davis was a very good player for us and so is Armstrong. Both make the team better. Bizarre that some of our fans dont rate them

• Like 1

He's not a winger, he's a no.10, he's the one supposed to get in the 'red zone' as Ralph calls it.

They had the same at Leipzig under him, one of the wide men was more of a winger, but the other was more of a no.10 who starts wide and drifts in to find the space, and take shots from the edge of the box, as well as making late runs into the box. Which I think was Forsberg.

Probably took Armstrong a while to get it, because he has mainly been a central attacking mid in his career, but now he is we are reaping the rewards. The Celtic fans said when we got him that he was a good finisher and was good at long shots. 

• 2 months later...

Has tested positive for Covid (FFS)

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-10-07/stuart-armstrong-southampton-football-club-scottish-fa-covid-19

The midfielder returned a negative test for COVID-19 on arrival with the Scottish National Team on Monday but the supplementary UEFA test returned a positive result this morning.

The 28-year-old is now self-isolating in line with government guidance, and the club is taking sensible precautions at Staplewood Campus whilst offering Stuart our full support.

Edited by trousers

3 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

According to Dan Sheldon he should be back. I don't know why he only has to isolate for 10 days rather than 14 days though

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/how-long-to-self-isolate/

10 days if you have a positive test. I assume it's because you're further through the virus than if you live with someone who is positive.

• Like 1

I was worried that the whole 1st team squad would now be told to isolate for 14 days as they must have been in close contact. It’s possible to incubate COVID for up to 14 days before testing positive as I understand it (hence why testing arrivals at airports wouldn’t catch everyone).

I guess it’s different rules for elite sports than the rest of us...

2 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

According to Dan Sheldon he should be back. I don't know why he only has to isolate for 10 days rather than 14 days though

As long as Stuey doesn't have too much in the way of symptoms he should be fine for Chelsea. The real problem is the rest of the (Saints) squad. Any defined close contacts will need to self isolate for 14 days, given Sunday's match that could be the entire 1st team squad plus staff (worst case scenario). 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

As long as Stuey doesn't have too much in the way of symptoms he should be fine for Chelsea. The real problem is the rest of the (Saints) squad. Any defined close contacts will need to self isolate for 14 days, given Sunday's match that could be the entire 1st team squad plus staff (worst case scenario). 

which would result in a postponement presumably.

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Curious if anyone else in our squad will test positive if he truly has tested positive.

Shouldn't do as they said he tested negative when he met up with Scotland then tested positive later on, so caught it after leaving to join up with them supposedly.

4 hours ago, Shroppie said:

Me too. Apparently his test was negative but a supplementary UEFA check came back positive. Chance it's a false positive.

Almost certainly it's a false positive, like many of them are. 

Also suspicious that he tested negative then the next day a "uefa" test was positive....they just happen to be playing Israel in the play offs, would be quite easy for Mossad to infiltrate the uefa testing department and rule out Scotland's best players. 

Anyway works in our favour I think, nice rest for a few days then be ready for Chelsea away on the 17th. (Don't think that will move to Sunday as they have champs league on the Tuesday) 

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Shouldn't do as they said he tested negative when he met up with Scotland then tested positive later on, so caught it after leaving to join up with them supposedly.

You are aware of the term "incubation period" presumably. He was in Southampton on Sunday, he almost certainly wouldn't have caught it in Scotland and tested positive before today. That is why the isolation period after a positive test is 10days rather than the 14 days quarantine period.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...