• Ward-Prowse
    • Walcott
    • Ings
    • Adams
    • Stephens
    • Diallo
    • Long

2 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Hopeful Bednarek is concussion so he should be back. But losing either/both of Bertie/Danny would be bad.

If it is concussion he won't be allowed to play against Newcastle.

It'd be a nice time for Salisu to mysteriously become fit again.

Vokins could come in for Bertrand - Newcastle, when they bother to attack, tend to favour the other side.

Ings is obviously irreplaceable. Long has been shite in all his appearances this season. 

Armstrong and Walcott were non existent in their defensive roles in the 2nd half which let villa back in. Easy to blame kwp for the last goal but a keeper should never be beaten at their near post like that (took the shine off an otherwise good performance from McCarthy).

Stephens seems to have no confidence again - not sure what has happened to the player from the end of last season...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

It'd be a nice time for Salisu to mysteriously become fit again.

Vokins could come in for Bertrand - Newcastle, when they bother to attack, tend to favour the other side.

Ings is obviously irreplaceable. Long has been shite in all his appearances this season. 

If Ings is out Walcott plays through the middle and Redmond comes back in and plays like he has a point to prove !

Yeh of all our striking options I'd go with Walcott. 

Not sure you can read much into those late goals, gifted pen from a dive, which is just bad refereeing, last goal took a deflection as well and the enforced changes upsetting the balance of the team.

To be fair on Stephens he is coming cold into a game, having not played for a while and then the settled defensive mid in front of him gets changed as well. 

We also should have been 5 up anyway and they should have been down to 10. 

For 60 minutes they really had no sniff and we dominated, the injuries caused the main issues and some refereeing helped them along as well. 

The worry is the injuries, hopefully a precaution to take all 3 off. 

• Like 3

Great result considering Villa have made a great start and are a much better team than last season. They had nothing to lose second half and it wasn’t a surprise to see them push us back. Four away goals is impressive. Some people need some perspective. Great 3 points.

Overall more good than bad with some superb goals to give us a four nil lead. The loss of Bednarek shifted momentum as Stevens looked very rusty and with him in defence we began to look uncomfortable. These momentum shifts can really change games as proved in the Spurs, West Ham 3-3 and at least we got across the line and secured 3 very valuable points so the result was very good. Yes, we would all have liked to win 4-0 or more but this current crazy football isn't like that. We're sitting 3rd so everyone must be delighted with that. Rather than moaning about the three goals we conceded our thoughts should be on the injured trio and, with luck, they will be not serious particularly in the case of Ingsy who we cannot do without. Well done lads.

14 minutes ago, qwertyell said:
21 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Hopeful Bednarek is concussion so he should be back. But losing either/both of Bertie/Danny would be bad.

Yes, you're right as we're playing Friday. It's six days, so Saturday would have been ok. 

Of course, may not be concussion as he wasn't subbed immediately.

I'm sure in an hour I will be feeling very happy about the result, but right now a little bit frustrated by that final 30. The good news is that whilst we capitulated, unlike Spurs against West Ham, we didn't drop any points whilst doing so. That's a big plus that the lads learned a valuable lesson without any actual repercussions. But can't do that again, it was terrible game management, and the middle '2' i.e. Armstrong, Walcott, and Redmond must help out better defensively. Disappointed with Diallo. He should be trying to make a good impression and that was a lazy performance. Whilst the penalty was theatrical, it doesn't excuse his piss poor lazy tackle. Hopefully like the rest of the side he learns from this, as that is unacceptable at this level. 

• Like 1

Just now, Archers Road Stand said:

On the injury front:

"It was such a hard game, maybe it was too tough at times. 

"Ingsy's (injury) doesnt look good. it was right by me and we know his history with his knee. 

"Bertrand had an hamstring problem and Bednarek clashed in the air. Let's hope"

#SaintsFC #AVLSOU

Oh no :(

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think the injuries are the downer. Especially when you’ve got Ings and ‘knee’ in the same sentence. I’d rather have lost today than lose him for the season, although hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

So we loose Ings stays fit and we loose him next time ?...or whenever it maybe?.......get a grip we won and injuries happen hence we all have been given squads.

Foot off the gas in second half  thats where game management and strong leadership needs to be shown on and off the pitch. Great result unfortunate with no contact penalty and deflected  last gasp .But overall get in there.

13 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

If Ings is out Walcott plays through the middle and Redmond comes back in and plays like he has a point to prove !

You're right - I forgot Theo was an option now. He'd be a good fit, I think. 

Rather it doesn't come to that, though.

1 minute ago, Roo1976 said:

So we loose Ings stays fit and we loose him next time ?...or whenever it maybe?.......get a grip we won and injuries happen hence we all have been given squads.

Foot off the gas in second half  thats where game management and strong leadership needs to be shown on and off the pitch. Great result unfortunate with no contact penalty and deflected  last gasp .But overall get in there.

No, why would you assume that? Given a straight, binary choice between winning today and Ings is out for the season or losing and Ings is uninjured, I'd take the latter. Hopefully that's not the case but until I hear news on his injury, it's all a bit flat.

Happy with the win of course, however that was really poor game management by Ralph the n the second half.

Once that 4th went in we should have got Diallo on to shore it up. Instead they turned the screw and we suffered as a result, especially with the injuries.

14 minutes ago, tobes8 said:

Great result considering Villa have made a great start and are a much better team than last season. They had nothing to lose second half and it wasn’t a surprise to see them push us back. Four away goals is impressive. Some people need some perspective. Great 3 points.

It’s strange isn’t it? Swap the halves around and we would be euphoric! The injuries are a real worry though as we don’t have much strength in depth.

Still proud of the team... Last mins goals were poor and the injuries worrying but 3 points, 4 great goals and up to 3rd... 

RH might need to shuffle his team a bit for Newcastle but we need to keep the whole team fit and sharp (we saw with Stevens, Diallo and Long that these guys aren't really up to speed) and it maybe a good match to do so.

As others JWP MoTM first half, McCarthy for the 2nd half... special mention to the Big Dane 

1 minute ago, SaintZamboni said:

Hassenhuttl will surely be peed off with that end. We got really causal and aren’t good enough to do that.

If we miss out on the champions league because of goal difference it’ll be frustrating

In a way, this helps us. Players don’t get all cocky and Ralph can say good win but I’m not happy with the defending and we keep our feet on the ground and knuckle down in training for Friday night.

Great win. Interesting that fans and club are in agreement over weak areas - full back (tried to remedy with Williams loan) centre back (Salisu) and centre mid (Diallo). This game proved the rule - and I’d probably add another cf to that list as well as Long now looks like a lower league player and the youngsters aren’t quite ready (maybe the Wellbeck rumours). In the end you had 2 players out of position (Walcott and JWP) two players way off the pace (Diallo and Stephens) and a centre forward who can’t perform at this level anymore (Long). That’s problems with half the team so that second half wasn’t a great surprise. They had so much joy down both flanks and McCarthy and Vestergaard did well to keep them out. As others pointed out our right side desperately needed fixing but Ralph didn’t really have an option. Also when we are under the cosh we need someone to hold the ball up and win fouls - Long can’t do that (neither can Walcott or Obafemi) so that’s a worry. Hope all the injuries are short term.

Ings hopefully be fit for after the internationals - can survive him missing one game. As others said RH initial reaction looked very worrying but that he sat and watched games gives more optimism.

Vest transformed and fair play as didn’t think he had it in him to turn it around. 

Edited by whelk

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

Ings has only scored 2 of our last 11 goals, same as Vesty. 

( #positivespin #toungefirmlyincheek )

In all seriousness it’s just as well and that is a positive cos it wasn’t the case last year. 
All those who criticised the Walcott signing may see the wisdom of it over the next few weeks.

That reminded me of years gone by when we would often have more possession and chances but still lose games because of clinical finishing and set piece quality of our opponents.  Now it’s the other way round.  Enjoy!

I can see a pile on happening on Stephens, but I only noted one clear error when he gave ball away in danger area.  To my mind the main reason we struggled second half is that we stopped pressing, settled for a counter attack strategy (which got us the 4th goal) and stopped getting our full backs up the pitch.  Also thought Armstrong tired badly which to be fair to Ralph had been noted and Redmond was stripped off ready to replace him before injuries kicked in.  Doubt we will still be third come Monday night but likely top six which is excellent start to season.  Fingers crossed injuries aren’t too bad.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, striker said:

I'm hoping if Ings was serious they would have walked him directly back into the locker room. Instead he sat on the bench.

Can't read anything into that. VVD walked off the pitch vs Everton and then is out for the season.

Only the scan will show for sure, but ACL often doesn't cause swelling (RaH said there isnt any) and allows walking.

Lets hope its not that.

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Can't read anything into that. VVD walked off the pitch vs Everton and then is out for the season.

Only the scan will show for sure, but ACL often doesn't cause swelling (RaH said there isnt any) and allows walking.

Lets hope its not that.

Ings not on crutches apparently which has to be a positive sign surely? Travelled back via car not team coach 

35 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It’s strange isn’t it? Swap the halves around and we would be euphoric! The injuries are a real worry though as we don’t have much strength in depth.

I think it might be the injuries that are curtailing the euphoria. I would be euphoric if we'd been 4 nil up away and then won 4-3 having conceded 2 late goals had not 3 important (one absolutely essential and irreplaceable) players sustained injuries.