Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread

trousers

Just now, USaint said:

I wonder that with Ralph watching on TV with hopefully lots of different angles available to him will actually make subs early in this game rather than in injury time like at Fulham. Dnejepo for sure needs to be replaced. 

Djenepo for who though? 

Pretty dreadful to be honest.

We shaded it, in whatever way you can shade such a dreadful game of football.

Absolutely terrible to watch, No flow, no intensity, no quality.

Moussa is once again a total passenger. After 2 years he now needs to be showing what he can do, he's on the brink imo.

6 minutes ago, Monk said:

How the f*** do you upload a photo on here? 

I'm adamant Adams is onside. 

Adam's foot looks like it is just ONSIDE but I think his upper arm is probably further forward than their No.24's foot, but given how close it is why on Earth wasn't there the usual VAR forensics?

Screenshot_20201229-184653.png

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

Walcott has given us most of the threat so far. Need to continue to exploit his and walker peters pace down the right hand side. Left hand side is looking weaker, but what I can't work out is whether the cause is djenepo or betrand (everyone who plays in front of Bertie at the moment seems to play shit)

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It's not Djenepo that's the problem. It's the fact that his FB distrusts him so much that he won't pass the ball to him.

Bertie is definitely our weakest starter at the moment. He rarely gets deep on the overlap to cross, he gets done by opposing wingers, gets caught ball watching and as you said, totally ignores the wide man in front of him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

I think Adam's upper arm is probably further forward than their No.24's foot, but given how close it is why on Earth wasn't there the usual VAR forensics?

He looks at least a players width offside 

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

I think Adam's upper arm is probably further forward than their No.24's foot, but given how close it is why on Earth wasn't there the usual VAR forensics?

Impossible to tell from that, but on TV it looked like his leaning in made him offside. 

Good first ten minutes when we drove at them but then settled into playing it backwards more than forward. Need to be getting on the half turn instead of repeatedly going backwards. Djenepo needs to get himself more involved and look for space as he is too static. Either get it forward quicker and give them problems or we will run the risk of losing this.

Poor. Giving away West Ham too many set piece opportunities - playing to their strengths. We look shaky every ball that comes the into the box.

Just aimless with the ball. No idea what the plan is to create chances when we have good possession. Once again, a desperate lack of quality in the final third.

Walcott looks likeliest to make something happen, but I wouldn't bank on it.

0-1 incoming. Header from a set piece.

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Bertie is definitely our weakest starter at the moment. He rarely gets deep on the overlap to cross, he gets done by opposing wingers, gets caught ball watching and as you said, totally ignores the wide man in front of him.

I think he is the problem too. 
When Walcott comes narrow to pick up a pass then KWP gets outside and creates and option. When djenepo gets narrow nobody helps him so he’s forced backwards or cross field 

It feels like the goals have dried up for us but we're not playing badly, just horrible West Ham are stopping us play. Ings 'goal' definitely needed a proper review, I suspect if the lino hadn't raised his flag we'd have seen a 2 minute VAR stoppage. 

3 points and a nice finish to a good year would be great tonight so I hope we can step up and get them. But West Ham have quality on the bench. I hate playing them.

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Impossible to tell from that, but on TV it looked like his leaning in made him offside. 

Yeah, the TV camera angle will make Adams seem further forward than he is (relative to the defender on this side of the field) but I think his upper body is just offside. But I'm still bemused as to how VAR took 5 seconds to reach a conclusion compared to the usual 60 seconds or more. 

Hey ho. Can't do anything about it now so won't dwell on it any longer 

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Nowhere near, Adams is leaning much further forward and he can score with his head so...

I think the rule should be each players' leading foot on the turf that determines whether it is offside or not, the lines can be drawn on the flat surface and represents where they are rooted at the point in time of the pass being played. Bits of torso or arms leaning forward at an angle is less objective. 

Edited by adrian lord
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SonicBoom said:

I agree. Bertie seems really lazy and shows no real ambition to get forward. They give him the ball from CB and he just passes it straight back, and stands still. He used to bust a gut to get forward. 

Trouble is his legs will not let him to push forward and run at younger fast wing backs...if he did we’d likely be undone by the counter.  What this amounts to is an unbalanced team and our forward attacking play very, very stale and predictable.

We need to exploit the central areas and that’s most likely going to happen with Ings and Theo driving forward into the box. Knocking it out wide every single time is just too damned easy for WetSham to defend.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Trouble is his legs will not let him to push forward and run at younger fast wing backs...if he did we’d likely be undone by the counter.  What this amounts to is an unbalanced team and our forward attacking play very, very stale and predictable.

We need to exploit the central areas and that’s most likely going to happen with Ings and Theo driving forward into the box. Knocking it out wide every single time is just too damned easy for WetSham to defend.

If that indeed is the case, then a LB starter is a priority in January.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warsash saint said:

Actually envy you guys on Amazon & listerning to Clinton Morrision .... I am having to put up with the c*ck Sherwood on the stream!!!

Morrison just said 'Zoom is the new 'fing'. Thanks Clinton. Can't beat that kind of incisive viewpoint

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic