Saints Sign Kit Deal with Hummel

SuperSAINT

Great news - I was really excited when Under Armour signed but they've been a let down with half arsed designs.

Hummel have a much smaller group of teams and a history with the club so hopefully we'll get something exciting next season. Really like this Coventry design, so something similar would be great.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

No surprise - think Saints were trying to get out of this pretty quickly as UA seemed repeatedly incapable of hitting delivery targets. Talking to someone in the store a couple of years back, not one stitch of a home replica shirt to be seen, yet you could buy one online from the UA shop in Holland (or somewhere) without sponsorship, for a fraction of the £££’s Saints were wanting to charge us, they weren’t best pleased. 

Bit of a shame as I like their golf shirts, so always knew what would fit. 

Interesting read on the subject, might explain why popular colour keepers shirts, hit the rack sold out never to be seen again.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2018/01/here-is-one-reason-why-tottenham-did-not-renew-with-under-armour.html

30 minutes ago, edprice1984 said:

Fair warning...

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2018/08/forest-green-rovers-cancel-hummel-deal.html

FGR are my local side and this was an absolute horror show; the club couldn't even play in their home kit let alone sell it!

I am not aware of any issues at Everton, so hopefully they have ironed out the previous issues.

They probably asked for the polyester to be vegan or something. 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

The Hummel stuff will be exactly the same price.

It may even be more expensive, but at least the Club will have a bigger margin, which is good for the finances of the club.

Like JBS said UA golf gear is top class, only started wearing it because of Saints sponsorship.

• Like 1

Love Hummel, great training kit and have had a few kits with Saturday league teams and they’re always a good fit. Really happy with it, they’ve got to re-do that Draper Tools kit at some point haven’t they. Maybe we’ll just get an ‘authentic’ retro version to buy instead, like with our own brand kits where we can still use the proper badge and sponsor due to having the rights.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

They probably asked for the polyester to be vegan or something. 

Haha. They do have some weird ideas but to their credit they are a well run club too. Should be moving into a new ground (the all wooden stadium) in a few years time too. 

Hummel seem to have gone through a big change over the past few years and are expanding quite a lot. 

• Like 1

You lot are hillarious, there is no guarentee Hummel will be any different to UA.

Late 80s kits were maybe good but materials for football kits have changed since then.

Quality also depends on what manufacturer is used, whether it is outsourced etc..

we have no idea on all these topics so I m in the wait and see camp.

36 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Fantastic! Cannot wait to see what they produce for us. They have made some fantastic recent shirts for lower league sides (Coventry's ska inspired third kit last year springs to mind.)

Brilliant news.

Will you be boycotting this seasons shirt and buying it anyway or not boycotting it and buying it anyway?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In general, Hummel kits just look good. Loved their Saints 80s kits - had them all as a kid, even the boots. Hopefully the new kits can offer me a little nostalgia whilst also creating something new. I ma sure they will.

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

The Hummel stuff will be exactly the same price.

The replica kits will no doubt be the same as there seems to be an unwritten rule in football that sets the price across the board (ps.I do realise that one or two of the big clubs are even more expensive) !

I would be a bit more optimistic on the casual wear though as their regular range is normally cheaper than the mega prices demanded by UA !

Time will tell but I reckon that it will be a change for the better 👍

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

You lot are hillarious, there is no guarentee Hummel will be any different to UA.

Late 80s kits were maybe good but materials for football kits have changed since then.

Quality also depends on what manufacturer is used, whether it is outsourced etc..

we have no idea on all these topics so I m in the wait and see camp.

They probably all use the same Far East sweatshops.

2 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

They do a range of Retro kits for Spurs. Hopefully we'll see some of the rare shirts available in retro form. 

southampton-1987-89-third.jpg

Saints.jpeg

Does anyone else remember the plan red Draper Tools warm up top from about 1989? They were very popular, i lived in mine and wore it to warm up for my youth football team in along with some rather fetching blue Hummel tracksuit bottoms.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Will you be boycotting this seasons shirt and buying it anyway or not boycotting it and buying it anyway?

I'll make a decision when you find a new response for me in kit threads chap. ;)

Edited by Colinjb

6 hours ago, Mattio said:

Great news - I was really excited when Under Armour signed but they've been a let down with half arsed designs.

Hummel have a much smaller group of teams and a history with the club so hopefully we'll get something exciting next season. Really like this Coventry design, so something similar would be great.

spacer.png

I'm not sure they do have a smaller group of teams, if anything I think they have more including several in the Championship and lower (Bristol City, Northampton spring to mind, and as shown on this thread a few in Europe - FC Emmen a good example in more ways than one).

Not sure the Coventry kit would be good for us as a home design, as it'll look like a blend of red and pink from a distance to rival ManCity's fruit salad away kit.

Edited by Badger

Very happy with this news.

A couple of people on this forum mentioned that this was in the works, apologies I forgot who.

The new home kit which would have been signed off months ago.  Again was mentioned by a couple of people as similar to the kit worn in the last league game at the Dell, with a V neck and thin red and white stripes with a black outline.  That would likely mean a modern take on this then:

Southampton 1989-91 Home Kit

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

Does anyone else remember the plan red Draper Tools warm up top from about 1989? They were very popular, i lived in mine and wore it to warm up for my youth football team in along with some rather fetching blue Hummel tracksuit bottoms.

image.thumb.jpeg.53f0cff1cdaf5f4a3d48836aae883c33.jpeg

Saw this on Twitter, was it that one?

• Like 3

CORE STRIPED SS JERSEY, TRUE RED/WHITE, packshot

They could do far worse than just bunging a badge on one of their current bulk standard red and white striped shirts.

Chuck in a nice pair of dark blue shorts and white socks and they could be onto a winner imo.

Edited by alehouseboys
How about some traditional blue shorts?
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, doggface said:

A couple of people on this forum mentioned that this was in the works, apologies I forgot who

There is a promotional video for the new deal by Hummel doing the social media rounds. The end of it confirms that it was made before the current lockdown..... In November.

This had been known for a fair old while internally, wonder what the final straw with UA was? 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints Sign Kit Deal with Hummel