Danny Ings

sisi1992

1 minute ago, Crab Lungs said:

This is a guy who blocked me because I categorically told him Wanyama was in Southampton signing for Saints when he was tweeting he was in Cardiff signing for them.

absolute bellend.

He blocked me when I reminded him he said we had no interest in Charlie Austin the day before he signed 🤣

Just now, S-Clarke said:

How would we have moved in on our primary targets in 2020 when we clearly have to sell before we can even come close to signing another player?

The 'board' and the 'scouting (recent scouting)' is being thrown under a bus, when it's the ownership that's the problem. I see it as two separate elements - Board doing as well as they can out of a shit situation, and ownership who have in essence dumped and run and aren't providing any support.

That makes it very hard for us to plan or to even proactively prepare for departures. 

It's totally 2 different elements.

Owner says I'm not putting any money in and tells the rest of the club to get on with it. The rest of the club are doing quite well over the past couple of seasons. 

We've got rid of most of the dross and signed well within the constraints we have.

Hopefully a cash injection from Ings and maybe one or 2 others will allow them to carry on their good work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

I can't remember who it was that posted it but they said it was always about money with Danny. Can only be this because it's not about European football (certainly not this season anyway!). Let's hope we re-invest the rumoured £30m wisely on at least 2 forwards.

It was me! People laughed then. 

Surely there must be a replacement lined up?  I’ll pass judgement if/when a replacement comes in, as only then we’ll really know if it’s a good deal or not. At the moment I’m not all that optimistic at all we’ll get anywhere near a like for like striker in, though. So, yeah, somewhat concerned.

11 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I’m okay with this.

It’s not just that Ings only had a year left on his contract. It’s that his durability isn’t good enough for the heavy demands that Ralph’s style places on his strikers. I think we’ll end up actually looking better up front, all things considered, and I have more confidence that we’ll use the money wisely this time.

If JWP goes as well we lose a reliable workhorse who scores deadball goals but doesn’t contribute much creatively. He’s certainly replaceable, too.

This could be a quick and effective rebuild.

I really can't see us selling jwp as well. Stranger things have happened but it would be a surprise. 

46 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

For 30m mate it's a decent outcome. Freshen things up now and not worry about having to replace him next season with no money!!

I think after the shock of him going, most people will see it as a good deal, especially if we spend 20-25m on a striker, i.e. Adam Armstrong.

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Ings is the only reason Ralph still has a job IMO. Hopefully they have someone decent lined up, we will be nailed on to go down if they don’t, there is no one in the squad at the moment capable of getting the goals we need.

Adams only scored slightly less than Ings last season. Another signing roughly as successful as Adams and we'd have enough. Plus Tella is developing very quickly now.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Ings was a good player. At £20m or less it was better to keep him in my opinion however for the reported £30m ish it became a different ball game and a chance to buy two decent players at least and added to the available funds another couple which would give the team more resilience and the ability to ride out injuries.

• Like 1

Saints discard Danny Ings aged 13 like an empty bag of crisps for being too small. I went to school with Danny and the way the club went about it was not nice.

But he owes us loyalty or something...Our fanbase are hilarious at times. For the money he's on, I'd quite happily ditch Saints for Pompey. It's a business, clubs are employers and fans are customers. It's been that way for a VERY long time (long before the PL came into being despite popular belief). Far too many fans are unhappy because they expect players to have the same affection for clubs that they do but they don't and even if a player did have that affection (as I mentioned above), it'd still be pretty hard to turn down.

Danny has a family to think of and has to do what's right for them. Yes he's probably set for life but why not set his kids up too? And once he's managed that, set his grand children up as well?

The fact that Villa have payed this much for Ings with his injury record and contract situation means that he must have had a great time with us, and he has done! I have no issues with players/managers using us as a stepping stone because it means they'll have to do well. Do we really want to be making signings for players who see Saints as the absolute top of their career?

Ings was under contract, another employer has paid a damn good amount of money to get him out of it so they can employ him and we've accepted. In reality, we'd all be whinging if we hadn't accepted.

Wish Danny all the best (except against us) but no player is bigger than the club.

• Like 13
  • Confused 1

Well I am disappointed - especially with the timing. You can now add a 15-25% 'desperation' fee to anyone we want to buy that will quickly make whatever we had left of £25M look peanuts. 

Very little management can do about it if he wants out, except to have acted earlier in securing his replacement.

How many replacements will score as many goals as Ings would even playing half the games?

Anyway, onwards. Hopefully Adams will rise to the challenge and we will buy a goalkeeper.

13 minutes ago, DT said:

Switched the cricket on to cheer myself up with some The Hundred and Bill-ings is batting with Ing-ram. Aargh

Go to the Olympics highlights on BBC1 mate. Alex Scott drops her g’s off every word, she would never be able to say Ings

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

Saints discard Danny Ings aged 13 like an empty bag of crisps for being too small. I went to school with Danny and the way the club went about it was not nice.

But he owes us loyalty or something...Our fanbase are hilarious at times. For the money he's on, I'd quite happily ditch Saints for Pompey. It's a business, clubs are employers and fans are customers. It's been that way for a VERY long time (long before the PL came into being despite popular belief). Far too many fans are unhappy because they expect players to have the same affection for clubs that they do but they don't and even if a player did have that affection (as I mentioned above), it'd still be pretty hard to turn down.

Danny has a family to think of and has to do what's right for them. Yes he's probably set for life but why not set his kids up too? And once he's managed that, set his grand children up as well?

The fact that Villa have payed this much for Ings with his injury record and contract situation means that he must have had a great time with us, and he has done! I have no issues with players/managers using us as a stepping stone because it means they'll have to do well. Do we really want to be making signings for players who see Saints as the absolute top of their career?

Ings was under contract, another employer has paid a damn good amount of money to get him out of it so they can employ him and we've accepted. In reality, we'd all be whinging if we hadn't accepted.

Wish Danny all the best (except against us) but no player is bigger than the club.

Very good summary and post. All this bollocks about him owing us is pathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Saint_Tony said:

sadly, they are showing clear ambition, spending the Grealish money in advance. We've made plenty in transfer fees and spent it poorly. It's really just a case of surviving now

That’s all we do though. The club is set up just to survive in the premier league, sell our best players when we get an acceptable offer and try to find replacements on the cheap. We’re back to the survival is success mantra of the 90s 

I think you’re right but I’d be okay with it if it happened.

We’ll see, but I get the impression that there’s a broader plan at work - not the lose a key player/panic buy approach of recent years. I’m sure the Ings replacement is incoming (probably Armstrong). And if JWP goes, his will be too - as well as some more depth.

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I really can't see us selling jwp as well. Stranger things have happened but it would be a surprise. 

• Like 1

I've just been at my mum's birthday dinner. What have I missed? 🙄

Seriously I only checked Saintsweb this afternoon and this has come out the blue. 

Am I annoyed? A tad. For a supposed Saints fan that wanted to leave for trophies at a big club, he's left us in the shyte close to the season.

However £30 million for an injury prone, ageing player that wanted out anyway is bloody good money for us. Like, double what I thought we'd get. It will allow us to strengthen. I'd be surprised if they get JWP now they've blown some of their wedge on Ings.

Getting the recruitment right is now key. We have Adams, Tella, Obafemi (currently) and Walcott and Redmond if need be to start the season but we need to get the next move right. 

I probably have other thoughts on this transfer but I haven't yet digested it. A bit like my dinner.

Just now, Turkish said:

That’s all we do though. The club is set up just to survive in the premier league, sell our best players when we get an acceptable offer and try to find replacements on the cheap. We’re back to the survival is success mantra of the 90s 

I’m not sure what else anyone would expect. Gao isn’t putting money in, we can either be stingy and hope we invest better than three others or do a Pompey.

Two sides of this deal for me.

1. The first side is that on the face of it £28m (after the £2m we give Liverpool) for a player who may otherwise walk free next summer is decent, and I presume the brain trust at the club have a clear idea of what to do with the money.
  2. The other side is that he has decided that Aston Villa have more to offer him - both monetary and on the field - and both equate to ambition no matter what you think - and that serves as a reminder as to the long term prospects Southampton have right now under the current ownership.  It's another reminder that the club is slowly decaying no matter what anyone says.

There is no way we buy anyone as good as Ings with the money either, so next season will be challenging up front.

Nothing really surprises me with saints and I did expect him to go earlier this summer. I'm surprised it's been left this late but I expect they came in with massive wages and he said he wanted to go. I just hope we have enough about us to stay up. We certainly need more strength in depth now that we have a bit of cash. A striker, a dm and a full back are minimum requirements. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

lol yeh that is why we sign aging crocked 'experienced pros' players like Wilshere or Cahill right? Just to stay up and stay in the league Oh wait no. 

Nonsense comment. We are run on a budget like 99% of professional clubs in the world. 

7 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

sadly, they are showing clear ambition, spending the Grealish money in advance. We've made plenty in transfer fees and spent it poorly. It's really just a case of surviving now

How is selling Grealish a sign of ambition?

Has anyone on here ever described us selling our best players as a sign of ambition? 🤣

Edited by manzo
Spelling

So much for his supposed champions league aspirations then 🤣

Ultimately he held the club to ransom so flogging him to villa for 30 million isn't a bad bit of business, especially as there's every chance he'll miss half the season anyway 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manzo said:

Has anyone on here ever described us selling our best players as a sign of amibition? 🤣

That rule only applies to us, Saintsweb logic at it's finest, we are the only selling club in the world and no one else loses their best players.....

No one else is run at a budget either and no other club in the world has owners who don't invest shed loads of money into the club. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 1

Just now, manzo said:

Has anyone on here ever described us selling our best players as a sign of amibition? 🤣

They're doing what we did when we sold Lallana, Lambert, Lovren, Chambers, Shaw etc and are reinvesting quickly in players who will arguably add more quality to their entire squad, rather than just going ahead and looking for a straight replacement for Grealish.

The reinvestment of the fee before it's even confirmed is showing ambition.

• Like 1

Can't begrudge him a move where he's going to get quite a bit better paid. This could well be his last lucrative move, and I'd guess he's more likely to qualify for the CL this season with Villa than he is with us. He's been an excellent servant for us, and has cost us around net zero, including wages. 

If he has a great season, knocks in thirty goals and Villa finish top 4, then he was obviously wise to make the move. If he gets a bad injury, or just has a crap/average season, then we've done a great bit of business. I'm most concerned about how we reinvest.. 

I have a silly dream that we have two unknown bargain forwards lined up, for about 7-8m each, who turn out to be superstars that we can cry about selling for over 30m in 2/3 years' time

Good deal for all parties, 4 year deal on £100k p/w with his injury history would have been a huge risk. Selling him is a risk but Villa exceeded the valuation - Liverpool get their bit but Adam Armstrong should be done within 48 hours if SFC wants him. With Obafemi going the other way there should be enough to get Delaney in to boost the midfield. The displays last season after Rom got crocked at Leeds were pathetic. Vesty will be off as well so reinforcements there as well.

I think they will go down but they might have done anyway with an injured and ageing Ings on a huge millstone contract. Biggest transfer needed is a new owner.

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Depressing isn't it. The joys of being in the Premier League with no rich benefactor. 

9 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

lol yeh that is why we sign aging crocked 'experienced pros' players like Wilshere or Cahill right? Just to stay up and stay in the league Oh wait no. 

Nonsense comment. We are run on a budget like 99% of professional clubs in the world. 

What are you going on about now?

7 minutes ago, manzo said:

Has anyone on here ever described us selling our best players as a sign of ambition? 🤣

They made an offer they couldn't refuse.  Ings plus £70m to spend can generate a fair bit of ambition.  I hope we spend our £30m wisely.  

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

£30 million is a decent amount for someone in the last year of their contract.

All the stories about him wanting European football seem somewhat wide of the mark!

he may have wanted it, but was anyone offering it?

With that dead end, it became about the money, which i don't begrudge him.

You want Danny for one more year + £0m?  OR

you want £30m and at least a fighting chance to bring in some quality to replace him?

• Like 2

I'm not too worried considering the money we got but I am a bit worried now about relegation this year. Looking at our team we have a poor goalkeeper, bednarek isn't great, vestergaard may or may not be here and then the new guy at lb is unproven. We're light in cm if romeu doesn't play every game and our wingers are inconsistent. Armstrong is good but there's a hell of a lot of average players in and around our team and that's before you look at the bench. I think Delaney would be a good signing for some experience. 

Edited by hypochondriac

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings