Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

38 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He was perfect for the championship, had an excellent season. We did also beat Man City at home with Hooiveld and Yoshida at the back in our return to the prem...

Fonte was the shakier one in the championship, and excelled in the premier league.

He did a good job in the championship but against the better sides you always felt he was a little bit out of his depth and so it proved when we got promoted. It's a shame as he was popular and great guy. Funny how he's remembered yet Danny Fox was arguably more important to us that season yet is remembered as being useless. 

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

His leadership is what really stands out. He’s just a natural at that.

Worrall’s never been afraid to call out his teammates if he doesn’t think they’re pulling their weight - even when he first broke into the side. He’ll always say what he thinks; an honesty that is appreciated by supporters.

He brings a presence to the backline, too, organising people around and just trying to keep cool heads.

That’s not to take anything away from his qualities as a player. He’ll admit himself, he tries to focus on getting the basics right, heading and kicking the ball away. He’s very solid.

Sounds good. Although the PS bods wont like that he seems like a defender that concentrates on defending

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Worrall’s never been afraid to call out his teammates if he doesn’t think they’re pulling their weight - even when he first broke into the side. He’ll always say what he thinks; an honesty that is appreciated by supporters.

He brings a presence to the backline, too, organising people around and just trying to keep cool heads.

That’s not to take anything away from his qualities as a player. He’ll admit himself, he tries to focus on getting the basics right, heading and kicking the ball away. He’s very solid.

Sounds good. Although the PS bods wont like that he seems like a defender that concentrates on defending

Sounds like what we need from a defender, captain qualities 

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

I don't think i've seen anyone say that foreign signings are a "guarantee of quality". But its undeniable that they can offer good value for money if scouted well. Our best signings in recent years have been VVD, Tadic, Mane, Pelle, Toby etc. Our British signings have been for comparable sums and are/were no where near their level.

Conversely, do a crap job of scouting players from abroad and you end up with Carillo's, Hoedt's and Lemina's.

So actually, i would say the general rule is that foreign signings offer potentially far better value, but at a much higher risk.

Just take west ham as an example. £40+ million spent on Bowen (end of contract and £20m) and Benrahma (17months left at £21m) - both of whom are good, but they picked up Coufal (£5.4m) and Soucek (£14.5m) for half that 🤷‍♂️

West Ham also signed Craig Dawson from Watford. Not sure on the fee (suspect pretty modest) but he has been credited with making a huge difference for them defensively since signed, originally on loan.

Remember also in terms of our signings, VVD was signed from a British club, as were Fonte and Bertrand, all very successful defensive signings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Exactly right but no mention if he is hungry or not.

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Sounds good to me. 

What’s his Xg, ILM & LmR? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Is Worrall now definitely the leading candidate to replace Vestergaard? Have we discounted all the other possibilities including the following?:

• Nat Phillips
  • Boubakar Kouyate
  • Flavius Daniliuc
  • Thomas Delaney
  • Ainsley Maitland-Niles
  • Rob Holding
  • James Tarkowski
  • Phil Jones
  • Issa Diop
  • Japhet Tanganga
  • Omar Colley
  • Philippe Sandler
  • Erik Palmer-Brown
  • Jason Denayer
  • Andreas Hanche-Olsen
  • Gary Cahill
  • Tosin Adarabioyo
  • Koni De Winter

3 minutes ago, waylander said:

According to Tom Leach on Hampshire Live "Liverpool defender Nat Phillips is not thought to be a target at this time"

I wonder if the club have a list of targets, and then whisper one or two to Tom Leach, and then the club read Twitter and Saintsweb before confirming ‘Player X is not a target at this time’... 😉

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

About time we signed a proper defender why stop at one.

17 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58245066

A Lord D type signing , wonder how much ??

Arguably the best head-butters at SFC since I've been a supporter are Ruddock and Osvaldo - historically we've not been blessed in that department, again poor scouting. Osvaldo's was anecdotal, but Rudduck's witnessed, and he ran 60 yards at the Dell to launch so has to be the gold standard.  On that basis this bloke could be a useful addition for team character and cohesion as long as his beard remains non-hipster. 

5 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Arguably the best head-butters at SFC since I've been a supporter are Ruddock and Osvaldo - historically we've not been blessed in that department, again poor scouting. Osvaldo's was anecdotal, but Rudduck's witnessed, and he ran 60 yards at the Dell to launch so has to be the gold standard.  On that basis this bloke could be a useful addition for team character and cohesion as long as his beard remains non-hipster. 

20.12.91 Southampton v Notts County (Div 1) - YouTube

Handbags

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

That is clearly not true because loads of players successfully make the step up.  Even more so in recent years. 

Like I said before the Championship IMO is a lot stronger and of higher quality these days than many 'top' European leagues, who we frequently buy from like the SPL, Swiss league, Eredivisie etc. 

As with everything in football these days its about the money, the Championship is well watched, well supported and full of ex-PL clubs who are earning parachute payments which means the wages on off in the league from a lot of clubs is going to be higher than many places in Europe, even in some of Europe's top 5 leagues, especially as many of those leagues don't distribute money anywhere near as evenly as the PL does. 

The yearly wage bills for the bottom 12 clubs in La Liga ranges from about £11 million to about £38 million a year, in 18/19 the average Championship wage bill was £34 million.  The Championship can offer wages that no other second league in Europe can match and many top leagues can match, which of course attracts and retains better players and increases the quality of the league. 

I agree that the Championship and PL are not worlds apart, although I do feel that the one position which struggles the most to bridge the gap is at Centre Back. It demands alot in terms of positioning, concentration, physicality etc against the best strikers in the world. Any lapse of concentration or mistake and its punished. I think its quite telling that most promoted sides have a new starting CB on their shopping list as soon as they're promoted. This season its Brentford (Ajer) and Norwich (Gibson), both of whom started at the weekend. Last season it was the same with Fulham (Andersen, Adarabioyo, Kongolo) and Leeds (Llorente, Koch). 

My issue isnt with Joe Worrall (if thats who we opt for) as I think he could do very well, but more so the still young, developing Salisu who could partner him with, or Bednarek/Stephens who have mistakes readily in them. Nothing about any of those partnerships fill me with confidence. I just believe we need a more established, seasoned CB to help us and Worrall isnt that

5 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

This is quite an interesting video on Worrall in that it shows his bad bits as well as his good bits:

Yes I quite like the look of him.  I'm not too concerned about the "overhitting of balls down the channel" criticism either, as that is definitely something you can improve on with practice.  

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

This is quite an interesting video on Worrall in that it shows his bad bits as well as his good bits:

I'd be willing to punt on him although can't say I'm certain he'll step up. Forest fans seem to think he will.

Seems like a good lad. Nice car:

Good lad. I didn't expect that car, but he's gone up in my estimation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'd be willing to punt on him although can't say I'm certain he'll step up. Forest fans seem to think he will.

He seems like a really good lad. Thinking he should maybe stay at Forest rather than subjecting himself to do do do do Joe Worrall chants and being written off as no better than Yoshida within 3 games

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He seems like a really good lad. Thinking he should maybe stay at Forest rather than subjecting himself to do do do do Joe Worrall chants and being written off as no better than Yoshida within 3 games

Worrall load of rubbish, more like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

A footballer with a bit of personality. Who would have thought it. 

3 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

I just believe we need a more established, seasoned CB to help us and Worrall isnt that

is 160+ games not seasoned? VVD was also 24 and had only played 130 games when he signed for us. Not sure anyone was using terms like `youth' and `seasoned' then, but I guess playing for Celtic in the Champions League trumps championship experience - and it was obvious he was top draw.

Have you in anyone in mind? CB is a really tough position to find talent.

Edited by Chez

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Looks decent. Guess we’re searching for pennies down the back of the sofa

Why are we searching for pennies? We have some money, not as much as some, but we’ve spent a chunk this summer and are actively searching for more players. 

You tend to come across as wanting the club to fail, like you’d be happy if they did as it would justify your morose position. 

Up to you I guess but I’d hate to feel like I was always looking on the bad side of life. Brian. 

• Like 3