Saints 3-1 Fulham - Match Thread

Minsk

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Hopefully no minamino

So ŵe hate Minamino, we hate Theo, goes without saying we hate Redmond. Djenepo is just lightweight. Tella it is until he has a bad game and then he is shit

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

Salisu has to start every game now. Our defence was miles better with him on the pitch. Salisu at CB, Stephens at LB I think at the back. Give Bednarek a break.

Adams Ings is our best strike partnership by a mile. Give Djenepo and Tella a chance as Minimino and Redmond are useless. My main hope is Romeu will be back and we can put Armstrong at attacking mid again. Armstrong, Tella, Ings Adams is a pretty good front four.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Is this the 'must win' relegation 'six pointer' we've been anticipating ?

Would like to see FF remain in goal, and Salisu start. Was also hoping we'd see Jankewitz at some point before the end of the season but after tonight's selection I think that possibility is remote.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Salisu has to start every game now. Our defence was miles better with him on the pitch. Salisu at CB, Stephens at LB I think at the back. Give Bednarek a break.

Adams Ings is our best strike partnership by a mile. Give Djenepo and Tella a chance as Minimino and Redmond are useless. My main hope is Romeu will be back and we can put Armstrong at attacking mid again. Armstrong, Tella, Ings Adams is a pretty good front four.

We shuffled it quite a bit in that 2nd half. It seemed to start with Vestergaard as the right sided centre back and Salisu on the left, with Jack still at LB. But we looked quite uncomfortable like that I felt.

It seemed as if we switched to a 3, with Redmond and KWP playing the wing back roles. That seemed much better and all 3 centre backs were much more comfortable on the ball.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

100% agree

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We shuffled it quite a bit in that 2nd half. It seemed to start with Vestergaard as the right sided centre back and Salisu on the left, with Jack still at LB. But we looked quite uncomfortable like that I felt.

It seemed as if we switched to a 3, with Redmond and KWP playing the wing back roles. That seemed much better and all 3 centre backs were much more comfortable on the ball.

It looked more like we switched Salisu to LB and put Stephens into Bednareks place. KWP just seemed to have more freedom to get up the pitch, so looked more like a slightly lopsided 4-2-2-2, rather than changing system to me. 

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

It looked more like we switched Salisu to LB and put Stephens into Bednareks place. KWP just seemed to have more freedom to get up the pitch, so looked more like a slightly lopsided 4-2-2-2, rather than changing system to me. 

Yeah, possibly. Certainly Jack didn't stay at LB though, Vestergaard didn't seem too comfortable as the right sided CB.

That throws up a conundrum as to what you do with Salisu - I don't think you drop Vestergaard as he's our best CB and he's our left sided one, and seemingly Salisu can only play left side as well.

• Like 1

After the huge hopes earlier in the season followed by the anti-climax for far too long you/we poor suffering supporters deserve to see some absolute magic from Saints. DI getting a hat-trick would possibly assuage some disappointment.

Was hoping we would put a couple of squad players in but I fear Ralph is fighting to win all the remaining games to save his arse.

If he stays then his transfer kitty will probably be what the club gets for its finishing position in the league.

8 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Was hoping we would put a couple of squad players in but I fear Ralph is fighting to win all the remaining games to save his arse.

If he stays then his transfer kitty will probably be what the club gets for its finishing position in the league.

To save his arse from what? There's no way he would be sacked. We've spent all season playing squad players because of injuries, he's probably seen all he needs to and apart from Jankewitz everyone has had a decent number of minutes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Hopefully no minamino

He just looked rusty to me, lack of game time, his passing was a bit off. I’d be happy to see him get a run, but if there is no option keep him or extend his loan then there is no point.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whelk said:

So ŵe hate Minamino, we hate Theo, goes without saying we hate Redmond. Djenepo is just lightweight. Tella it is until he has a bad game and then he is shit

Hate is the wrong word, but to be clear attacking midfield is a clear weakness in our side. Even when we were flying high our chance creation and expected goals were about 15th in the league, it's why a lot of pundits were tipping us to drop away and not be european hopefuls. We only performed well as JWP and Ings both are ridiculous finishers who put away many more goals than expected both this season and last. Now we have to play Armstrong at CM our chance creation is dreadful. We need more quality there, at leftback, and in goal, this isn't kneejerk scapegoating its been the case literally all season. 

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, whelk said:

You forgot Bednarek and the keepers...

It would be good if we could improve on all of them but not much chance.  None of them bad players but all lacking that final je ne sais quoi, and it really shows when they are off form or not 100% fit. Redmond has looked more direct in the last couple of games and you can't fault Minamino's efforts and runs, but neither has really clicked. Yesterday's win might help the confidence of all of them. Looking forward to next season, shouting at all of them on a screen is no substitute for being there at the ground, when I tend to be more positive.

Wouldn't surprise me if Fulham play with more freedom and open up a bit now they have relegation confirmed, should mean an entertaining game and a few goals, Lemina can't play , hopefully another 3-1 and push on up the table, 13th place finish wouldn't be too bad. 

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

He just looked rusty to me, lack of game time, his passing was a bit off. I’d be happy to see him get a run, but if there is no option keep him or extend his loan then there is no point.

His passing has been absymal since he got here. 

Numerous times in the Chelsea and Newcastle games he'd misplace 10 yard passes. It's no great loss to us if we ended the deal early and he went back to Liverpool as he doesn't improve us as a team

Two teams whose status is now decided. .Both consider that they are better than their current positions deserve, and have something to prove to themselves and their supporters. Both teams on their day are capable of beating the other

I'm expecting a good game.

Ralph will probably stick with 4-2-2-2 (albeit with some fluidity) but I'd go for a 3-4-1-2 given our left-back 'dilemma'... seems a better fit for the players at our disposal (?)

--------------- Forster --------------

Stephens ---- Vestergaard ---- Salisu

KWP --- JWP --- Romeu --- Redmond

------------- Armstrong --------------

------ Adams ----------- Ings -------

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TWar said:

Give Bednarek ‘away’ ....  :-)))

13 hours ago, TWar said:

Salisu's absences in the last month have more than likely to be down to Ramadan.  Interesting that he came on at the beginning of the second half yesterday - after he'd have been able to break his fast.  Ramadan ends tonight so there's a good chance we'll see much more of him in the last three games.

On the question of the wisdom, or otherwise, of having a small squad, I'm sure Ralph has changed his mind.  But the teams with smaller squads were always going to suffer much more than usually this season because, with the restart added to it from last season, the players have been going for almost a continuous year.  Fatigue has certainly not been distributed equally among the 20 teams. 

44 minutes ago, Verbal said:

Salisu's absences in the last month have more than likely to be down to Ramadan.  Interesting that he came on at the beginning of the second half yesterday - after he'd have been able to break his fast.  Ramadan ends tonight so there's a good chance we'll see much more of him in the last three games.

On the question of the wisdom, or otherwise, of having a small squad, I'm sure Ralph has changed his mind.  But the teams with smaller squads were always going to suffer much more than usually this season because, with the restart added to it from last season, the players have been going for almost a continuous year.  Fatigue has certainly not been distributed equally among the 20 teams. 

I think people take the "Ralph wants a small squad" thing out of context. He said he wanted a group of 20 quality senior players and the rest to be youth prospects. At the time we had something like 28 senior players at the club and not on loan so that was the context. Right now I think we have 16 senior players plus two loanies, really we shot from bloated, straight past sensible, to very thin by getting rid of 10 senior players this summer and bringing in four, and the summer before a similarly high number of outs to ins.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, whelk said:

You left out that donkey stephens, and dont get me started on Ryan Bertrand lol

1 hour ago, Verbal said:

Didn't seem to affect Jordan Ayew (also a Muslim) last night, who played the first half, no? (not a Ramadan expert by any means). Even so, hope to see him play every game. Looks our best central defender to me.

8 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Klopp said this week there is a place for him (Taki) in next season's squad, so we have no option to buy him or extend the loan. It seems to now be keeping Klopp sweet so we can maybe borrow someone else next season.

20 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Hopefully no minamino

Your disdain for the player is qobvious from other ill-considered comments from you on other threads. Pity you let your prejudice get in the way of sensible analysis of the situation.

Decisions have to be made by Ralph with regard to contracts for Walcott and Minamino for next season;  he can only make those decisions if he gives the players a decent run in the team to assess their form. Of course results matter in terms of club earnings but from now on in it is about personnel, who stays, who goes?

He has seen plenty of Theo but less of Minamino so logically if the player is on offer from Liverpool then Ralph needs all the information he can get to make that decision and he can do that only if he sees the lad in action on the field.  Expect him to play in a pretty much unchanged side. The conundrum is Salisu who deserves to start. I'd choose him over Stephens, he is much better player. Bednarek was subbed last night because of a knock and a pre-interval yellow card not because of any concerns over his form or contribution.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, whelk said:

Merit payments (highlighted below in green) between 13th and 17th looks around £13m. Significant enough to not experiment. 3 winnable games and 13th easily achievable 

B545EDCA-9E88-4E1A-B512-CF92E096BE80.jpeg

i hate to be so optimistic, but i think 12th place is still in play.. Wolves last 3 are Spurs, Everton, United.

If Ings is on the pitch, we could challenge.

How crazy would it be to end up in 12th again this year after everything that has happened this season.

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 1

Anyone else like to see what Jankewitz can do? (other than get sent off of course). Think the punishment outweighs the crime at this point. Someone clearly thought the was good enough so let's see it...before he leaves of his own accord.

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Anyone else like to see what Jankewitz can do? (other than get sent off of course). Think the punishment outweighs the crime at this point. Someone clearly thought the was good enough so let's see it...before he leaves of his own accord.

Would like to see him from the start but I think that ship has sailed. Shame ralph doesn't seem to rate him. He will go on to bigger and better things in his career im sure of that.

2 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

No need. Many on here have seen a short snippet of him playing against England u21s and already decided he's the best player to come out of our academy in 10 years.

It would be good to see more of the kid however

54 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Would like to see him from the start but I think that ship has sailed. Shame ralph doesn't seem to rate him. He will go on to bigger and better things in his career im sure of that.

Not sure it’s case of him not rating him, but clearly something isn’t right behind the scenes, especially given he wants out. Maybe the club aren’t willing to give him pitch time if he’s going in the summer anyway? 

Edited by Saint Garrett

57 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

No need. Many on here have seen a short snippet of him playing against England u21s and already decided he's the best player to come out of our academy in 10 years.

It would be good to see more of the kid however

Some saw the whole game, and other Swiss games, and u23 games. I’ve seen the kid play several times, and I haven’t seen a better academy prospect in a long time. I’ve been following and watching a lot of youth and reserve/u21/u23/b team footy since Shearer etc were in the youth team, and I can’t think of a central midfielder who’s stood out more than this lad. I can only assume that there’s a reason other than ability why he’s on his way.

• Like 1

What a shame that #TonicLikeLemonade can't play and showcase what we've been missing. I look forward to his compilation 'come and get me' video on social media in a few weeks containing some clips which aren't even of him. Knobhead. 

I think we just need to accept that Jankewitz just isn't going to feature now and will likely move on. 

Start Tella ahead of Minamino, especially if the latter isn't going to be here next season, and Salisu in for Bednarek. Keep Forster in goal and commit to him being number one and keep the rest the same as the other night to try and get another win and build momentum in to next season. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Saint_lambden said:

Start Tella ahead of Minamino, especially if the latter isn't going to be here next season, and Salisu in for Bednarek. Keep Forster in goal and commit to him being number one and keep the rest the same as the other night to try and get another win and build momentum in to next season. 

No way we can do that if Ralph sticks to the new 343 in possession system. Minamino helped that system work by tucking in or dropping deep and allowing KWP to get orward. Playing Tella on the same side as KWP in that system wouldn't work, and on the other side I think most agree that Redmond did well as a kind of LWB. The only role for Tella in that system, for me, is up front but Ings and Che did well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Yes, absolutely. Diallo has been a decent signing but struggled recently and Armstrong better higher up the pitch. 

With nothing to risk, it makes sense to start him, but sadly it looks like Ralph has decided to move on.

2 hours ago, egg said:

Some saw the whole game, and other Swiss games, and u23 games. I’ve seen the kid play several times, and I haven’t seen a better academy prospect in a long time. I’ve been following and watching a lot of youth and reserve/u21/u23/b team footy since Shearer etc were in the youth team, and I can’t think of a central midfielder who’s stood out more than this lad. I can only assume that there’s a reason other than ability why he’s on his way.

I heard he banged Raph's wife.

If we are going to 4 at the back, I'd also give Ferry some game time there, not suggesting he'll be RB's replacement, but might be a decent back-up.

Especially as he used to be a winger, he should be able to get forward and make crosses. 

Saw him a few years ago in the youth team against Basingstoke in the Hants Cup, he was one of the only ones to come away with any credit that day and looked to have a bit about him.

17 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Your disdain for the player is qobvious from other ill-considered comments from you on other threads. Pity you let your prejudice get in the way of sensible analysis of the situation.

Decisions have to be made by Ralph with regard to contracts for Walcott and Minamino for next season;  he can only make those decisions if he gives the players a decent run in the team to assess their form. Of course results matter in terms of club earnings but from now on in it is about personnel, who stays, who goes?

He has seen plenty of Theo but less of Minamino so logically if the player is on offer from Liverpool then Ralph needs all the information he can get to make that decision and he can do that only if he sees the lad in action on the field.  Expect him to play in a pretty much unchanged side. The conundrum is Salisu who deserves to start. I'd choose him over Stephens, he is much better player. Bednarek was subbed last night because of a knock and a pre-interval yellow card not because of any concerns over his form or contribution.

Not sure where you might get the information that there are no concerns over Bednarek regarding his form and contribution .... That made me smile 😀 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 Fulham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic