Saints 3-1 Fulham - Match Thread

Minsk

I would love to see some big changes in the starting XI to see who is who and what is what for next season. Let's partner Salisu with Vest. Give Tella a full start. If Romeu can play, let's try playing WP in a more advanced role. I would like to see even more changes than that, but our squad is so bar we aint got no one to try LOL.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pip said:

I'm not convinced that Armstrong will play.  4 games in a couple of weeks may be too much for him.  Assume that would mean Diallo coming in if Romeu is not fit to start?

Yeah I don't want armstong injured for the euros! Could do with che playing and grabbing some more goals going in hot Hahaha.

1 hour ago, CollinsDic said:

I would love to see some big changes in the starting XI to see who is who and what is what for next season. Let's partner Salisu with Vest. Give Tella a full start. If Romeu can play, let's try playing WP in a more advanced role. I would like to see even more changes than that, but our squad is so bar we aint got no one to try LOL.

With all the injuries we've had this season, there have been plenty of big changes already. I'd prefer to see Salisu partnered with Bednarek, especially as it sounds like Vestergaard is going to be sold in the summer.

Assuming Vesti is leaving and Romeu is fit.  Change to 3 at the back (I doubt if Ralph will try it).  Try a 3 4 1 2 just for once.

Forster

Stephens    Bednarek    Salisu

KWP    JWP     Romeu      DJenepo (or Redmond) (or Diallo) (or Tella) (or Jankowitz) hahaha

Armstrong

Ings      Adams

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Assuming Vesti is leaving and Romeu is fit.  Change to 3 at the back (I doubt if Ralph will try it).  Try a 3 4 1 2 just for once.

Forster

KWP    JWP     Romeu      DJenepo (or Redmond) (or Diallo) (or Tella) (or Jankowitz) hahaha

Armstrong

Ings      Adams

Romeu isn’t ready yet

On 11/05/2021 at 22:58, TWar said:

Salisu has to start every game now. Our defence was miles better with him on the pitch. Salisu at CB, Stephens at LB I think at the back. Give Bednarek a break.

Adams Ings is our best strike partnership by a mile. Give Djenepo and Tella a chance as Minimino and Redmond are useless. My main hope is Romeu will be back and we can put Armstrong at attacking mid again. Armstrong, Tella, Ings Adams is a pretty good front four.

Redmond gave the assist for Ing's first goal

Not sure why people aren’t desperate to bring Romeu back. No point rushing back important players from a big injury lay-off with nothing to play for; let’s ease him back in and make sure he’s ready for next season.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Not sure why people aren’t desperate to bring Romeu back. No point rushing back important players from a big injury lay-off with nothing to play for; let’s ease him back in and make sure he’s ready for next season.

I expect he'll be on the bench for the Leeds game so he can take part in the end of season lap of honour 

2 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Forster

Armstrong

Ings      Adams

Bednerak has ankle issue 

6 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

With all the injuries we've had this season, there have been plenty of big changes already. I'd prefer to see Salisu partnered with Bednarek, especially as it sounds like Vestergaard is going to be sold in the summer.

The only problem with that is we can’t think about keeping Bednarek either for next year, that would be suicide....

So might as well play Vesty anyway... 

Salisu should play every game now. 

My preference in defence would be to play Ferry at LB and see whether he can handle it against an already relegated (so objectively one of the weakest) team and then play Salisu and Vestegaard together to see if they can do it, as I think they're our best two central defenders.

Diallo has something to prove, so I would like him to return to CM alongside JWP.

If Theo wants a contract, we need him to show he is worthy of it and the early season form can de repeated. I also want Tella to get some more game time against a team he is likely to get chances against.

I'd go for:

McCarthy

KWP Vestegaard Salisu Ferry

JWP    Diallo

Theo                                 Tella

Ings Adams 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brumsaint said:

My preference in defence would be to play Ferry at LB and see whether he can handle it against an already relegated (so objectively one of the weakest) team and then play Salisu and Vestegaard together to see if they can do it, as I think they're our best two central defenders.

Diallo has something to prove, so I would like him to return to CM alongside JWP.

If Theo wants a contract, we need him to show he is worthy of it and the early season form can de repeated. I also want Tella to get some more game time against a team he is likely to get chances against.

I'd go for:

McCarthy

KWP Vestegaard Salisu Ferry

JWP    Diallo

Theo                                 Tella

Ings Adams 

I'd be tempted to play Armstrong but look to sub him on 60 mins, been one of our best players last few games. 

Although Fulham look weak and have been relegated I've seen them win 2- 0 at Everton, 1-0 at Liverpool  , they also won at Leicester and should have won away at Arsenal but for a 97th min goal so they clearly are capable of putting a performance away from home not to be taken lightly on their day. 

I think there will be a few changes to start purely because Ralph will want his strongest team available to play Leeds in front of 8500 fans so I would expect Armstrong and Redmond to be replaced by Diallo and Djnepo at least and Salisu to start in place of Bednarek 

18 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Redmond gave the assist for Ing's first goal

It was a hopeful punt vaguely in his direction, which Ings did impossibly well to turn into an opportunity with a deft turn and poke. To call it an assist is laughable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, DT said:

It was a hopeful punt vaguely in his direction, which Ings did impossibly well to turn into an opportunity with a deft turn and poke. To call it an assist is laughable.

A hopeful punt is what Wimbledon and Stoke used to do. 

Redmond received a 40 yard pass, brought it down, got on the front foot, got his head up, saw Ings in a tiny bit space in the box and played it directly onto his right thigh. Presumably knowing (because he plays with him in training every day) that Ings has got enough quality in that scenario to do the rest. Which he did. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, DT said:

What you call a "hopeful punt" a lot of people would call "a pass to a striker which led to a goal", otherwise known as an assist. But hey, you hate the guy so believe what you want.

• Like 3

On 13/05/2021 at 11:42, Chapel End said:

🙄😴

On 13/05/2021 at 11:21, Saint_Jonny said:

I heard he banged Raph's wife.

On 13/05/2021 at 11:42, Chapel End said:

🙄😴

There are too many dangerous, unsubstantiated rumours about a 'he'. Be careful.

Mods, what is SW policy?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Whilst it is always interesting for us, as fans, to see what a new, young, player can bring to the team now is not the time to just hand out starts to untested (or barely tested) youngsters. The difference between finishing 17th and 12th is likely the fee we will spend on our new LB. Even the difference in finishing between 17th and 14th is what 2 loans fees would cost us. Moreover, should Ralph hand out starts to youngsters 'just to se what they could do' and we lose that/those game(s) I guarantee that the same people on here calling for him to just that would be on here slating Ralph (a) for us losing and (b) for being in such a low league position (just go look at the posts prior to the Palace match).

Having played on Tuesday, and with another match this coming Tuesday, no doubt there will be changes and ''squad rotation' for tomorrow's match. The likes of Jankewitz and Ferry won't, nor should be, included as starting players. They may well be on the bench in case of emergency (i.e. multiple defensive injuries or 2 x CMs being getting injured, etc) but that doesn't mean they are good enough, or even that Ralph thinks they are good enough, to start.

I expect, despite Frasers heroics against Palace, that Macca will start in goal tomorrow. (I would keep Fraser in goal.)

Defence is interesting. With Bed likely out does he go with a Vest/Sali CB partnership with Stephens remaining at LB? Or does he go with a Stephens/Vest CB pairing with Sali at LB? (I would go with the former.)

He needs to keep the Ings/Adams partnership up front, and I think he will. Which leaves the midfield 4, where we have the greatest number of choices and players available to him. Tella and Theo were rested last time out; Ibra and Moussa have finished Ramadan, so should be back in contention. JWP is a given starter; do we rest Stuey and/or Redmond for this match, leaving them fresher to play against (the probably harder test of) Leeds? I really have no idea how Ralph will roll with this, but I would be tempted to go with a midfield of: Theo-JWP-Diallo-Tella against Fulham; bringing Stuey-Redders and Moussa in against Leeds.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DT said:

Got something in common with a lot of your posts then

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

He seems to incite blind hatred in a number of our fanbase - I'm not sure a logical argument will help

How can people hate others they have never met. to quote from a song 'WhAt the world need now is love...........' 

On 13/05/2021 at 18:20, JRM said:

I expect he'll be on the bench for the Leeds game so he can take part in the end of season lap of honour 

You know you don't have to play to take part in the lap of honour don't you? See Pahars etc.....

9 hours ago, DT said:

I wonder what the statisticians who record these things (i.e. number of assists etc) decided if it was an assist. Certainly was not vaguely kicked  in Ings's direction

On 12/05/2021 at 16:30, the saint in winchester said:

Klopp said this week there is a place for him (Taki) in next season's squad, so we have no option to buy him or extend the loan. It seems to now be keeping Klopp sweet so we can maybe borrow someone else next season.

Sounds very much like Klopp trying to talk up his price a tad. Minamino won’t be getting regular game time for them next season and I’m sure they’d consider a reasonable offer from someone. If TM plays the last three this season, you’d have to assume we’re at least interested in him.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Same here! Incredible season and worthy of the constant calls for him to be on the team week in week out!!!111

Did anyone watch the Swiss U21 win he played in against England?

In the highlights, I can only see him covering a bit, backing off a few times and jumping on top of their goal scorer

England U21 0-1 Switzerland U21: Swiss grab deserved win over Young Lions in Euro U21 Championship opener | Football News | Sky Sports

4 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

In the highlights, I can only see him covering a bit, backing off a few times and jumping on top of their goal scorer

England U21 0-1 Switzerland U21: Swiss grab deserved win over Young Lions in Euro U21 Championship opener | Football News | Sky Sports

I watched it. He was really good to be fair. A couple of decent games at international level doesn't guarantee much though, maybe he's been not up to it in training. Obafemi had some quality games last season and then got dropped from the squad for not bringing it in training. Tough but fair perhaps if you don't know what's going on behind the scenes. 

31 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

Yes I watched, he was voted man of the match. Very strange that he never gets a look in regardless of the stupid mistake against man u. Waste of a top talent.

McCarthy

KWP, Stephens, Vestegaard, Salisu

JWP Diallo

Armstrong Redmond

Adams Ings

Subs to use in the game: Tella, Djenepo and Obafemi

This is what I would probably start with.

Although the above would mean Walcott + Minamino miss out, you can't please everyone.

17 minutes ago, nta786 said:

McCarthy

KWP, Stephens, Vestegaard, Salisu

JWP Diallo

Armstrong Redmond

Adams Ings

Subs to use in the game: Tella, Djenepo and Obafemi

This is what I would probably start with.

Although the above would mean Walcott + Minamino miss out, you can't please everyone.

I'd go with that starting 11. Interesting to see if we go with the tweaked formation like last time. If so, Armstrong on the right will be vital and I'd imagine very well suited to the role. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 Fulham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic