Other Games 21/22

whelk

39 minutes ago, Dman said:

West Ham are a really, really good team aren’t they. 

Id love to see the reaction on this place if we appointed someone like Moyes. 

A real shame he wasn’t given the time Ole has been at United as it’d have been interesting to see how things would have panned out. 

Yes, West Ham are a very good team at the moment.

Just shows what a great job Ralph did to get Saints to shut them out completely and to be the breadth of a goalpost/an exceptional goal line clearance away from beating them.

• Like 3

Yeh odd one that, because there is no way he needed to tackle like that, even if not deliberate very clumsy and dangerous. 

Villa fans moaning the other one wasn't a red but clearly Bowen was in on goal and no one else was getting back, you could see he'd even got into a body position to push the ball back near the centre for the shot on his left foot. 

Also Moyes was awful at Sunderland and Sociedad, and just not suited to Utd. I think he's struck lucky with getting some gem low cost signings like Soucek and Coufal that really suit his style of play, plus Antonio having this late bloom as a real handful of a number 9. 

Edited by tajjuk

On 30/10/2021 at 19:03, nta786 said:

Yes, noticed the following:

hojberg is shit

Harry Kane’s head is in Manchester or the golf course or wherever, should’ve taken the money over summer.

He looks so fucking fed up, just let him go in January this is totally pointless keeping a player who clearly has no interest in playing for Spurs.

Levy masterclass wasn't it?

And this one:

Third goal coming, and it ain't for us.

I wonder if there's a scoreline that would actually guarantee getting the Portuguese hobo out?

North London Yobbery at it's finest.

Pass the port please Rupert.

Edited by Badger

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

Not sure what the rules are regarding it having been seen on VAR already, but surely that forearm smash needs to be upgraded to a red? Wouldn’t be surprised to see the red that was given overturned though.

If they reviewed the first one (forearm smash)  and upgraded it to red they would have to cancel the second, as the game has stopped at the first. 

15 minutes ago, Micky said:

If they reviewed the first one (forearm smash)  and upgraded it to red they would have to cancel the second, as the game has stopped at the first. 

I'm not sure that's true. Play only stops when the ref blows his whistle.

For example, if a ref waved play on to give advantage and the defending team then went and conceded a penalty during the ensuing attack, the ref can still go back and issue a card for the first foul, and still give the penalty. 

38 minutes ago, Micky said:

I thought this too, but on Sky afterwards they said that the VAR people confirmed to them that there was a possibility that both Hause and Konsa could have been shown reds in that same review period. Didn't even know that was possible. It would have been hilarious to see the reaction if they both got red.

13 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm not sure that's true. Play only stops when the ref blows his whistle.

For example, if a ref waved play on to give advantage and the defending team then went and conceded a penalty during the ensuing attack, the ref can still go back and issue a card for the first foul, and still give the penalty. 

Yeah i thought Fred was slightly lucky in the game vs Spurs. Committed the same cynical foul against 2 different players in the same move. Whilst very unusual i do remember seeing Chris Baird getting 2 yellows during an advantage.

7 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I'm sure Saints snobbery would have totally dismissed Moyes around 18 months ago!

It's not snobbery to say someone who is doing badly is doing badly. Moyes is now doing well, and that's great for West ham, but it isn't fair to retroactively criticise those who assessed him before he turned things around. They were working with the info they had.

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Benitez is a fraud. If he was English, he’d be in the same bracket as Allardyce. Plays dreadful football too. 

Don’t be ridiculous. He’s won the champions league, the UEFA cup twice, la Liga twice with Valencia, the fa cup the Italian cup and been UEFA manger of the year twice. His best days are behind him and whilst he was never a top level manager he was a very good one in his day. He’s just now past his sell by date

• Like 1

Everton fans on GOT forum not a happy bunch. Already sick of the 'play it safe' football being dished up by Benitez and want him gone. Lots of them reckon they are headed the way Villa went a few years ago, and they could be in trouble over FFP as well so could be looking at a points deduction.

It's a good job they're not in the process of building a shiny new £500m stadium that will totally bankrupt them if they end up in the Championship isn't it 😉

2 hours ago, Minsk said:

Wolves completely outplayed Everton for the majority of the match. Well worth the win. Quite different to when they robbed us for 3 points at St. Mary's.  

I'm fairly confident our squad is as good as both of theirs, but these two aren't mentioned in the 'going down' teams. Think we will be quite safe this year.

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

I'm fairly confident our squad is as good as both of theirs, but these two aren't mentioned in the 'going down' teams. Think we will be quite safe this year.

I would say Everton have a stronger first 11 than us, but they have some key injuries at the moment. They're missing their best CF (DCL), their best CM (Doucoure) and their best CB (Mina). That's the whole spine of their team unavailable. They were also without Digne last night who is one of their best players. 

The only thing that would see them in trouble is a points deduction, which isn't outside the realms of possibility at the moment.

21 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I would say Everton have a stronger first 11 than us, but they have some key injuries at the moment. They're missing their best CF (DCL), their best CM (Doucoure) and their best CB (Mina). That's the whole spine of their team unavailable. They were also without Digne last night who is one of their best players. 

The only thing that would see them in trouble is a points deduction, which isn't outside the realms of possibility at the moment.

What would the PD be for?

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

What would the PD be for?

Potential breach of FFP rules, apparently. I am not aware of any actual investigation but it seems to be a big concern among their fans on GOT.

They have a very rich owner but they've spent a lot of money on players in recent years with very little resale value, and their academy hasn't been very profitable either with very few players coming through and being sold for big fees. Their new stadium is an eye-wateringly expensive project as well.

They've done the usual Everton thing, start the season well all their fans get carried away talking about European football and then they hit their usual crap form. 

I also get the impression with Everton, that whilst on paper you'd say they have a better squad than ours, it's a bit like Spurs, you get the impression they are a bit soft, maybe a bit too full of themselves so they don't grind out results or fight as hard as they should. 

Doubt they will get a points deduction and if they get Calvert-Lewin back they are not going to be anywhere near relegation. But I don't think them, Villa or Wolves are particularly any better than us. 

Edited by tajjuk

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Potential breach of FFP rules, apparently. I am not aware of any actual investigation but it seems to be a big concern among their fans on GOT.

They have a very rich owner but they've spent a lot of money on players in recent years with very little resale value, and their academy hasn't been very profitable either with very few players coming through and being sold for big fees. Their new stadium is an eye-wateringly expensive project as well.

Fair, thanks.  Their spending has been hilariously bad over the last few years (though this window was a bit more sensible).

9 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

They've done the usual Everton thing, start the season well all their fans get carried away talking about European football and then they hit their usual crap form. 

I also get the impression with Everton, that whilst on paper you'd say they have a better squad than ours, it's a bit like Spurs, you get the impression they are a bit soft, maybe a bit too full of themselves so they don't grind out results or fight as hard as they should. 

Doubt they will get a points deduction and if they get Calvert-Lewin back they are not going to be anywhere near relegation. But I don't think them, Villa or Wolves are particularly any better than us. 

Which makes it all the more frustrating that two of them have already beaten us this season.

Really hoping we don't make that 3 out of 3 on Friday night.