Whats changed?

Mr X

Last few games it feels like we are no longer watching the saints we are used to and in a good way! 

The old saints had no grit or winning mentality, and as soon as we went a goal or two down would wave the white flag!

What's the main factor that has changed?

A) the addition of broja completely changing our attacking line and being a better partner for che

B) certain players hitting peak form, Salisu, Che, JWP, kwp etc 

C) every player is now clear on their roles and stick to the task in hand

D) the belief is back that we can give the bigger clubs a game and as a result our players are enjoying playing as a true team again

E) Ralphs rulebook Is finally paying dividends and we were right to stuck with it?

F) all of the above

What do you think? another reason?

• Like 1

We're much better with the ball. Players are finding space. Our one touch passing is crisper. We're not wasting the ball as often.

I think Ralph finally knows his midfield and attack and has them all fit.

Edited by coalman
  • Like 1

The Arsenal and Brighton games were big lows and people were starting lose patience. Sometimes when things get desperate solutions and remedies appear. Since (from palace game onwards) we have steadily grown mainly developing a more aggressive footballing mentality and being mentally much stronger - we don’t lose leads now but take them back!

Didn't Ralph mention something about the black box and the work of the analysists which revealed some key element to our play we've been working on? Sure he said something along those lines but for obvious reasons he didn't give too much away.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 1

It's the players desire to prove people saying "game over" on match threads wrong.

There's loads of factors and most of them are worked out by Hasenhuttl and the coaches, practiced on the training ground and implemented by the players on the pitch.

Not having many injuries is massive. Armstrong being back to fitness is huge. Other players becoming more comfortable in their roles and partnerships. For example Broja and Adams up front have been the regular main 2 which is important.

We also have more flexibility now due to a better squad and can adapt within games to a larger extent.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Didn't Ralph mention something about the black box and the work of the analysists which revealed some key element to our play we've been working on? Sure he said something along those lines but for obvious reasons he didn't give too much away.

Yep, they tweaked our tactics and positioning for the Spurs game and it's clearly worked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Taking chances,

Salisu being v/good (and not going to AFCON)

A left back playing left Back

This and I would also say Stuart Armstrong is so important to how Ralph's wants us to play with quick transitions and breaking the lines of the opposition. Broja gives us another dimension aswell. We can go more direct to him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Last few games it feels like we are no longer watching the saints we are used to and in a good way! 

The old saints had no grit or winning mentality, and as soon as we went a goal or two down would wave the white flag!

A) the addition of broja completely changing our attacking line and being a better partner for che

D) the belief is back that we can give the bigger clubs a game and as a result our players are enjoying playing as a true team again

E) Ralphs rulebook Is finally paying dividends and we were right to stuck with it?

F) all of the above

All of that, but the adapting of different formations at the right time of the game is also a big factor.

We also seem to attack at speed a lot more. Not so much slow build up play and I’ve also noticed that we’re shooting at every opportunity, especially long range.

• Like 2

There’s a few but playing as a squad is invaluable if you remember JWP did not like playing out of position. He was recently quoted as saying he doesn’t mind what position he plays in. 
if you have talented players with such an attitude it’s really helps. It also shows the trust the players have in Ralph. 
I’ve always been a Ralph luvvie but it is clear he has learned from his mistakes in the past as well. 
you only have to see what a well drilled side we are. Compare us to a bunch of entitled prima donnas Spuds and United are.

anyone see the video of Ronaldo spitting at one of his own players at the end of the match.

28 minutes ago, trousers said:

1) Squad depth and quality thereof.

2) Glasgow stopped posting 

3) Ralph (#legend) started to do what Lord D told him to do (e.g. stop having a soft son-in-law as captain #genius)

Ralph paying a fiver , joining the Saintsweb and learning from all the experts on here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

F) all of the above

I repeat , new owners giving players stability and hope for the future staying at Saints . Thought of new money bringing in players means they have to make sure they look undropable .

1. Individuals having a good step up in form (romeu, Salisu, Broja, Adams, KWP, Forster),

2. We have class squad depth so we are fairing reasonably well after a congested winter period when we normally don't

3. We have a class manager and a decent squad, previously we had a class manager and an average squad but now all the summer signings have bedded in we can compete squadwise with top half sides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Finally Ralph is picking the best starting 11 available to him

I’d change that round and say having the best 11 available to him and all playing to their potential.

Take two or three out ( the Romeu- JWP hub) and best CB’s out and it’s a different story. 

• Like 1

As others have said we seem to be managing games better and conserving enough energy to compete for 90 minutes. We look to be prepared to take periods of rest making us stronger in the second half. Man Utd under Ragnick seem to be experiencing what we were going through when we conceded lots of goals after half time.

• Like 1

Pretty much all of the above.

Having no key injuries - Armstrong, Romeu, JWP and Broja. 
Smallish squad size means that players get minutes combined with that stronger bench pushing players for some positions.
improvement in players abilities, as Ralph's evolving playbook contines to bed in - Stephens, Valery.
Genuine attacking outlet in Broja, which Adams an then support.
Better game management, but that can be based on how we *can* manage games if we are in the lead and not hanging on/ chasing to get back in.
Does seem to have had a new owner bounce. Perhaps they've promised franchises in lovely holiday locations. Perhaps a little of seeing that top Academy talent can and will go into the team as Tino did, keeps a few on their toes.

• Like 1

One thing I’ve noticed recently is our heads not go down when we concede. Against Swansea, Coventry and Spurs we showed that being behind isn’t the end of the match and showed courage to get the wins, heck even against United we didn’t let the early goal faze us. Saints of old were too keen to capitulate when going behind. Now we seem to thrive on it. We may lose points from winning positions but we seem to gain points from losing positions these days. 

Players-wise, so many players are in form. Forster seems to make us more solid than McCarthy, almost as if the opposition fear him more than Alex. Salisu is simply class. Having two proper full backs in form is also important, KWP playing well with the knowledge Tino isn’t far away, and Perraud adapting to the league. Further forwards we have Romeu, Armstrong, Adams and Broja in good form, but there’s one player for me that seems to get better and better... Captain Fantastic. Actually it’s hard to pick out a poor player right now, we don’t have any (Ok, you could say Adam A but he’s hardly getting game time to play his way into form). It seems having a better squad makes players fight harder for their positions.

Also so look at our possession against Spurs. We were better by miles than them. Normally we soak up pressure and try to break... against Spurs we were the dominant force. If we could just be a bit more clinical up front we will be smashing teams off the park like we did against Brentford.

Will our form dip? Sure, I don’t think we will keep this up all season, and the inevitable injuries will happen, but I’m enjoying it right now. Of all our games remaining though, the one I really want us to be in our current form  for is Newcastle in the rearranged game!

• Like 1

Forster seems to be pretty important, the big old lump is getting his big old lump in the way of things again, which seems to give confidence for the rest of the defence. He even seems to be coming for stuff, he's not entirely convincing about it but he is doing it. He even manager a left foot pass about 40 yards whilst under pressure that helped start an attack as well. Man Utd had something like 2.5 XG but only scored one, so shows he is doing something right. 

Several players seem to be in peak form, JWP and Romeu (Ward-Prowse definitely started the season a bit slugglishly imo), Salisu is performing top level so we have a genuine quality centre-back which we haven't had for a long time really. All 3 full backs playing very well, Perraud obviously starting to show his quality as being rated as one of the best attacking full backs in the Ligue 1 last year, now getting used to the league. KWP stepping up the challenge of Tino, and Tino to come back into the team.

Broja offering raw pace and power which means we offer a lot of threat on counters and worry teams, Adams also stepping up and finding some form after being out of the team. 

Stu Armstrong coming in, we know he's our best no. 10 and is not even back to his best yet (by his standards should have scored 1-2 against Utd), but offers something the others don't. But credit as well Elynoussi as well who seems to be finding his niche in the team.

And Ralph putting it all together better, tweaking, reacting and helping us manage games better than he has in the past. He's changed formation in games more often than he did in the whole of last year I think (though playing devil's advocate he has more players he trusts to do this and use his subs better), even little tweaks to our attacking play like JWP moving to that right channel to get crosses in, means we are creating more open play chances of our own play, rather than just relying on turnovers. 

Lots of little things basically clicking and gelling, but basically a together, well drilled, hard working, tactical solid squad with plenty of fit and in form players. 

• Like 2

We are a streaky team - either very good or very bad but this time feels different.  Tactics constantly changing and the passing in tight areas of the pitch is a thing of beauty.  Agree with @Whitey Grandad - looking at the games such as Leicester vs WHU we are very lucky to be watching so an exciting, young team.  Takes me back to Poch's season in charge.

Long may it continue - the people talking about selling JWP are looking very, very foolish right now.  Thank god we tied him down to a new 5 year contract in the summer.  He will be sought after in the summer.  Hopefully we can get Salisu to agree to a new contract - he is the best defensive signing since VVD

Forster seems to be doing better than previously- has to instil more confidence in the defence. KWP and Perraud provide a balanced defence. Stu Armstrong has returned to close to his best. Brojas partnership with Che seems to be clicking at long last and of course Broja himself looks the real deal. Che is finally getting to grips with the demands of the EPL.

I believe the players have more flexibility in the tactical formation…442 is used more and there’s more fluidity…and this Ralph’s doing.

18 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Yep, they tweaked our tactics and positioning for the Spurs game and it's clearly worked.

Mentioned this on the JWP thread. We're definitely passing a lot more crisply between the lines, with Armstrong and Ely tucked in more than Redmond/Tella/Djenepo have been. Our attacking midfielders are finding pockets of space, and our defensive midfielders are looking for them through the middle rather than going wide.

Having a threat through the middle at No. 10 is something I feel has been missing pretty much since Lallana left, so it's nice to see variety back in our play. I'd also imagine that the danger of Broja getting in behind has completely altered the dynamics of how teams defend against us, as we haven't had a striker with that kind of power and pace in forever.

I agree with many / most of the opinions made on here so far but would like to add a couple of points :

a) We were never as bad before this run as some would have us believe ! We dominated play and often didn’t get the results that our quality deserved (Wolves, Burnley etc…).

b) Opinions are largely  “outcome driven” so a last minute blunder sets the scene for negative comments across the match as a whole !

c) Broja has provided an outlet with pace and power which we never had before so it’s critical that we work on a replacement for the summer as it looks increasingly likely that we’ll struggle to hold on to him 😩

d) Ralph has had a ‘building block’ approach since day one and after 3 years his vision is becoming reality so credit to him and his team ! 

Happy days,

COYS 😇

1 hour ago, eurosaint said:

d) Ralph has had a ‘building block’ approach since day one and after 3 years his vision is becoming reality so credit to him and his team ! 

This is where I was heading.  This thread had identified a massive list of reasons, all seem plausible to me.  But they might all be consequences of the root causes, which to me could be something like stability, continuity, development and luck.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eurosaint said:

I agree with many / most of the opinions made on here so far but would like to add a couple of points :

a) We were never as bad before this run as some would have us believe ! We dominated play and often didn’t get the results that our quality deserved (Wolves, Burnley etc…).

b) Opinions are largely  “outcome driven” so a last minute blunder sets the scene for negative comments across the match as a whole !

c) Broja has provided an outlet with pace and power which we never had before so it’s critical that we work on a replacement for the summer as it looks increasingly likely that we’ll struggle to hold on to him 😩

Happy days,

COYS 😇

As I have highlighted above, particularly the point a). I have thought for most of this season that Saints are a decent side, and a joy to watch much of the time. There have been legitimate criticisms at times, and it ain't always perfect, but overall the 'change' has gone on for a lot longer than the past few great results. Wolves at home still hurts, though, and that bloody late goal for Brighton!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

It was said before that other teams had sussed our tactics out so just had to weather the early storm and catch us on the break or from one of our corners etc 

That's right but now Ralph works the changes in formation and personnel to keep the opposition guessing all the time. It's intelligent football that on the evidence of the past week is a match for any team.

13 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Watching the other games this weekend has made me appreciate even more our slick passing style. Other teams seem haphazard in comparison.

I thought this as well. Right now we are a very good team to watch. Playing good football and getting decent results is a perfect combination for us fans so long may it continue.

• Like 1

In my opinion the return of Stuart Armstrong and Elyounoussi to the team has made a significant difference to the team, they runs good passing, movement finding the holes in midfield and goals make a big difference to the team, also Perraud has in past couple of months finally found his feet. With these three in the team we look more balanced than we did earlier in the season. Add to this JWP who seemed to be struggling at he start of the season is now back at his best.

On 13/02/2022 at 10:55, gordonToo said:

Vastly improved ball retention when under pressure is the single most important factor IMO. There's no place in our game for any player who gives the ball away too cheaply.  

Definitely a big factor. I (like many no doubt) used to hide behind the sofa when we tried to play out from the back or our holding midfielders picked it up deep. We look much more comfortable doing it now, but crucially we dont overdo it like we used to - like Saturday where many times it wasnt on so Forster went long to Broja/Adams and worked from there. Definitely a sign that Ralph has adapted.

We also used to painfully recycle the ball sidewards and backwards just for the sake of maintaining possession. Theres still elements of that patience as the 2nd goal against Spurs showed, but theres more incisive passes behind the lines (Moi and Stu have both been crucial in getting between the lines and presenting an option).

• Like 2

A big part of this is S. Armstrong, the playbook moves with KWP & JWP are opening up space all over the pitch, giving RP & ME space & time to operate. 
The Chele/Broja partnership is also coming good, with the pair complementing each other perfectly. 
We’ve pretty much got to a level where we have round pegs on round holes, and everyone knows their job. Subtle tweaks to the system are enough to confuse opposition as everyone is operating at 100%. 
FF putting in 9/10 every week is helping too, but time will tell if we can rely on that…