January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Michael Keane has only ever been good in one period for Burnley. Numerous former Burnley players have struggled to make the grade outside of that team. Nothing suggests he is a leader, and he can’t get into an absolutely terrible Everton team. Having England caps is not a justification of a players quality, if it was then we’d have Redmond, Bertrand, Maitland-Niles all starting for us every week. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Michael Keane has only ever been good in one period for Burnley. Numerous former Burnley players have struggled to make the grade outside of that team. Nothing suggests he is a leader, and he can’t get into an absolutely terrible Everton team. Having England caps is not a justification of a players quality, if it was then we’d have Redmond, Bertrand, Maitland-Niles all starting for us every week. 

Ben Mee at Brentford has done well.

We should probably revise how well Tella is doing then considering he's playing for Burnley.

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Ben Mee at Brentford has done well.

We should probably revise how well Tella is doing then considering he's playing for Burnley.

Is Tella playing in Dyche’s Burnley side? There are plenty of players who have suited a single system under a single manager, and struggled to find success outside of it. Paul Merson did a good bit you can find on youtube regarding Harry Maguire’s struggles, and compared him to Roger Johnson (former Cardiff/Birmingham/Wolves). If we are signing Keane it worries me even more about the potential style of football going forwards.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Is Tella playing in Dyche’s Burnley side? There are plenty of players who have suited a single system under a single manager, and struggled to find success outside of it. Paul Merson did a good bit you can find on youtube regarding Harry Maguire’s struggles, and compared him to Roger Johnson (former Cardiff/Birmingham/Wolves). If we are signing Keane it worries me even more about the potential style of football going forwards.

I'd have Tella back in a heartbeat given his improvement, level of performance and pace. He is also getting clattered regularly and getting up and carrying on. He'd be great for the last 30 minutes against tired legs and good cover which we don't have.

Edited by derry
  • Like 6

If we are after a left back why not try and get Target back from Newcastle if they bring in another left back as rumoured - he has the experience, the premier league experience and and relegation battle experience we need (plus if the worst does happen he has experience of the Championship).  He would add a bit of fight, passion and commitment to the cause and to the team if nothing else.  

Recalling Simeu from League 2 and sending him out on loan to League 1 makes a lot of sense.  Hopefully with Simeu, Kegs Chauke, Caleb Watts, Thierry Small and N'Lundulu all getting playing time and experience in League 1 they will all be ready to step up to the Championship next season (along with Smallbone and Tella who are already in the Championship) if the worst does happen it will give us some much needed strength in depth next season.  

Maybe we should take the same approach with Mara and Larios as well as I don't see them making any real difference to our survival hopes right now. A club in our position needs to have a contingency plan for next season. 

But above all else we need a striker -  if not 2 - who can actually score goals and a CDM to make the team more solid to give us any chance of staying up (or pushing for promotion next season as Adams will be off in the summer).

I'd take Ings on loan to see if he and Adams can recapture there partnership. 

I don't think we need another CB anywhere near much as a CDM to sit in front of and protect the defence or drop back to make 3 at the back if needed.  Matt Grimes from Swansea or Marko Grujic from Porto are two players we have looked at in this position before - and probably within reach.  

Although I have a feeling Salisu will be off in the summer whatever happens (or maybe even sooner in January) so bringing in another experienced CB now makes sense.   Keane on loan would be OK but we probably need batter than that.  

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

If we are after a left back why not try and get Target back from Newcastle if they bring in another left back as rumoured - he has the experience, the premier league experience and and relegation battle experience we need (plus if the worst does happen he has experience of the Championship).  He would add a bit of fight, passion and commitment to the cause and to the team if nothing else.  

Not against that at all, but that really does bring to the fore the horrendous recruitment we've had to endure over recent years.

He was allowed to go as he was a squad player and we were evolving the squad, yet here we are a few years down the line and we want him back as first choice.

Heads should roll over the state of our recruitment over the last few years. Financially constrained at times, yes, but we must find better than Lyanco and Perraud surely.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not against that at all, but that really does bring to the fore the horrendous recruitment we've had to endure over recent years.

He was allowed to go as he was a squad player and we were evolving the squad, yet here we are a few years down the line and we want him back as first choice.

Heads should roll over the state of our recruitment over the last few years. Financially constrained at times, yes, but we must find better than Lyanco and Perraud surely.

Whose heads?? Such a turn over in staff, many of whom only stayed for weeks/months nobody is left from the last few years.....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Whose heads?? Such a turn over in staff, many of whom only stayed for weeks/months nobody is left from the last few years.....

I blame Eric Black.

In all seriousness I'm sure the underlying recruitment team are still there, working to the same criteria as set. It's only the 'heads' of that department which keep shuffling around. Needs a bit of a restructure in my eyes.

27 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Keane is an interesting one, on this board people have mentioned we never buy players with good experience in this league, then linked to one and its still a no. I'd rather Keane than Bednerek back...or Lyanco. 

But none of the above should be playing anyway. It should be 2 of Salisu, ABK and DCC. In a back 4. 

Keane has been an appalling signing for Everton, weak defender, no leadership at all, and goes into his shell. Only time he’s ever been successful is when he was playing in a very solid unit at Burnley. He would, like all our centre backs, be horribly exposed in our side, unless we sign a Wanyama type midfielder to sit in front of him along with Lavia. 

The back 5 experiment should be finished now after failing all season. We do not have another 3 months to work that out. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Suhari said:

This guy was loved by (Carlisle? Port Vale? - sorry, can't remember) fans when on loan last season, and is onto his second lower league loan already this season.

I hope he makes the breakthrough into our first team. Seems like a good'un.

maybe ?....but the bottom of L1 is still a long way from the Prem.....

35 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Keane is an interesting one, on this board people have mentioned we never buy players with good experience in this league, then linked to one and its still a no. I'd rather Keane than Bednerek back...or Lyanco. 

Because despite what people say, what they actually want isn’t good experience… it’s just good players full stop.

• Like 3

Why does Salisu get a free ride from some on here. He regularly makes fuck ups and  I’m not convinced he’s 100% committed. If a new signing pushes his levels back up to where they were, that’s a result even if the new signing doesn’t start every week. One thing for sure, with this bunch Salisu doesn’t need to play particularly well to get picked week in week out. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why does Salisu get a free ride from some on here. He regularly makes fuck ups and  I’m not convinced he’s 100% committed. If a new signing pushes his levels back up to where they were, that’s a result even if the new signing doesn’t start every week. One thing for sure, with this bunch Salisu doesn’t need to play particularly well to get picked week in week out. 

Completely agree. 

Think he’s arguably our 3rd best Center back. Great defender, poor footballer

• Like 3

I've been really disappointed with him.  Not necessarily because he's been particularly bad compared to others, but more his failure to realise his full potential, his lack of leadership and obviously also the fact that he appears to be angling for an exit on a cheap fee.  He kind of reminds me of the last season of Van Dijk, only with less evident petulance and having done little to really prove he's the Rolls Royce defender we though he might be.    

• Like 1

I would add Bella-Kotchap to that list as well ... blatantly was not injured on Wednesday & could not wait to get off the pitch!.  Would have no worries if he never wore a Saints shirt again!

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I just read that Saints are trying to loan a central defender from Everton lol. It goes on to say that Everton would sell him.

Who actually sanctions these things if true? It just seems naive, and if it is to purchase even more mad as Everton will surely want to stitch us up with a high price

1 minute ago, way down south said:

Orsic, a proper striker and a defensive midfielder all these done in the next few days might see us claw ourselves UpTo 16/15th in the league and stay there. But that could just be me sliding back to unreasonable hope and delusion.

Add a decent keeper to that and there might be a chance. I will leave the manager out of that equation for now ,although that might be the most crucial part.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, way down south said:

Orsic, a proper striker and a defensive midfielder all these done in the next few days might see us claw ourselves UpTo 16/15th in the league and stay there. But that could just be me sliding back to unreasonable hope and delusion.

I think that's you sliding back to unreasonable hope and delusion.

Lets face it, we never look like scoring a goal, a necessity if you want to win a football match. We were a much better team under Ralph and he lost his way and had to go. However, a good striker bought in the summer would have saved Ralph and ensured we would not be bottom now.  We created quite a few chances under Ralph but did not have anyone to finsh them off and I could see people might be excited to solve the striker problem to convert those chances and change the direction the team was heading. Now with NJ, we don't even create the chances and so until he leaves, no matter the signings, I can't see us heading anywehre other than the Championship.  I hope I'm wrong.

12 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I just read that Saints are trying to loan a central defender from Everton lol. It goes on to say that Everton would sell him.

Who actually sanctions these things if true? It just seems naive, and if it is to purchase even more mad as Everton will surely want to stitch us up with a high price

Add that to the fact that Keane is utterly shit, it's all quite bizarre

17 minutes ago, Puelsarmy said:

I think that's you sliding back to unreasonable hope and delusion.

Lets face it, we never look like scoring a goal, a necessity if you want to win a football match. We were a much better team under Ralph and he lost his way and had to go. However, a good striker bought in the summer would have saved Ralph and ensured we would not be bottom now.  We created quite a few chances under Ralph but did not have anyone to finsh them off and I could see people might be excited to solve the striker problem to convert those chances and change the direction the team was heading. Now with NJ, we don't even create the chances and so until he leaves, no matter the signings, I can't see us heading anywehre other than the Championship.  I hope I'm wrong.

Yup can't argue with that. But I think that the low possession and few chances thing isn't by accident as NJs teams are supposed to play on the counter and so I think the plan was to play that way from the get go. Except they forgot about keeping it tight at the back so now it all looks a mess. They also seem to have forgotten the finish what little chances we get part. These two things fixed and we're fine but then so would every other relegation candidate.

Edited by way down south

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I tend to agree but cant help smile at the irony of you rating our last transfer window as an 8/10

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

I tend to agree but cant help smile at the irony of you rating our last transfer window as an 8/10

To be fair I did admit that I over-egged that, as I even admitted a lack of an attacker is going to kill us. I guess I was excited by the early showings of ABK and Lavia that it clouded my judgement a bit!

I don't think our recruitment was all bad in the summer though, we had the right idea and definitely targeted some good young players, better than we have in previous years...but we didn't back it up with the established quality we also needed which has become even more apparent as the weeks went on.

• Like 2

Just now, S-Clarke said:

To be fair I did admit that I over-egged that, as I even admitted a lack of an attacker is going to kill us. I guess I was excited by the early showings of ABK and Lavia that it clouded my judgement a bit!

I don't think our recruitment was all bad in the summer though, we had the right idea and definitely targeted some good young players, better than we have in previous years...but we didn't back it up with the established quality we also needed which has become even more apparent as the weeks went on.

yeah i was just pulling your leg really. I Thought its was fairly decent subject to us signing a striker which obviously never happened and was one of two major fuck ups. The 2nd being selling OR when we knew Lavia was injured. 

My biggest disappointment was Aribo, although the lack of other clubs interested in him at a bargain price of £6-8m or always raised a red flag to me.

Lets hope we get it right this January. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

yeah i was just pulling your leg really. I Thought its was fairly decent subject to us signing a striker which obviously never happened and was one of two major fuck ups. The 2nd being selling OR when we knew Lavia was injured. 

My biggest disappointment was Aribo, although the lack of other clubs interested in him at a bargain price of £6-8m or always raised a red flag to me.

Lets hope we get it right this January. 

One thing that just isn't clear to me about aribo also djenepo is that during their first few games they both showed clear signs of ability and even a goal or two, I remember djenepo vs Sheffield with a beauty. And I had become quite certain the both of them will go on to become established players in the team consistently contributing goals or assists, now look at the state of them. Is it possible to coach ability and flair and just basic quality out of someone? Is that what happened?

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

100% agree Salisu has a mistake in him more or less every game. no where near as good as some fans make out. 

• Like 3

Salisu has great athleticism and is for the most part a good defender, although very prone to some rash moments as he loves jumping in front of the striker to get the ball.

One thing about him which is really amplified with our current squad is how terrible he is on the ball. In fact, none of our CBs are capable of picking a pass which is something we really utilised with Vestergaard, and both van Dijk and Alderweireld a little further back.

This is why I assumed we were going for a CB who can sit in-between Sali/ABK in this god awful system who can actually play a pass out wide, between the lines or drive the ball 15 yards up the pitch where necessary. However, we've somehow landed on Michael Keane who is just as incapable of that as Lyanco.

spacer.png

(Last 365 days, compared to Premier League CB's per 90 minutes) 

• Haha 1

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Injury is bad apparently...

I don’t think he fancies it tbh. Always seems to be getting injured / going down. 

Looked like he couldn’t wait to come off, but hopefully I’m wrong on that account and that was just his playing style rather than attitude 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, way down south said:

One thing that just isn't clear to me about aribo also djenepo is that during their first few games they both showed clear signs of ability and even a goal or two, I remember djenepo vs Sheffield with a beauty. And I had become quite certain the both of them will go on to become established players in the team consistently contributing goals or assists, now look at the state of them. Is it possible to coach ability and flair and just basic quality out of someone? Is that what happened?

Rangers fans warned us that Aribo can go missing, and he was only £7m for a reason.

He only scored 8 and assisted 6 last season in a weak league. Compare that to Moi's 8 and 4 for Celtic previously.

I think a lot of people got over-excited based on the fact that he can deliver some flashes of sublime skill

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

6 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Rangers fans warned us that Aribo can go missing and he was only £7m for a reason.

He only scored 8 and assisted 6 last season in a weak league. Compare that to Moi's 8 and 4 for Celtic the previous season.

I think a lot of people got over-excited based on the fact that he can deliver some flashes of sublime skill

Sometimes he looks like a Sunday league player

25 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Rangers fans warned us that Aribo can go missing, and he was only £7m for a reason.

He only scored 8 and assisted 6 last season in a weak league. Compare that to Moi's 8 and 4 for Celtic previously.

Hi shone in the Europa league finals and run up to that, that's probably what caught our eye, unfortunately he appears not to give a crap when playing for us.

17 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Him, Mara and AMN don't seem to be able to sprint.  Whether thats just the way they play, or a lack of effort I'm not 100% sure.

I'm pretty sure that's more to do with their style - some players just look like they're trying harder than others in the way they move around the pitch. Van Dijk made it look much easier for him than others and as a result looked like he was just strolling around half the time. Before someone comes in, I'm not saying any of these players are anywhere near the same league as VVD, or that they are actually trying (who actually would know this), but just that may be their style. Not every player is a terrier!

Just been looking through the Argentinan papers https://www.ole.com.ar/futbol-primera/racing-carlosalcaraz-benfica_0_mhUpSpAGmc.html

And they say with Alcazar that Benfica/Wolves and Us are interested and have contacted his agent to understand his conditions etc. Apparently though nothing further has come from Benfica yet (depends on Enzo Fernandes i guess) but Racing are demanding 15m euro's or 13.2m GBP for the player.

Seems doable but the only question i have is if we buy this player is as its the off season down there how fit is he or are we going to have another 6 weeks before he's EPL fit.

My god latest reports suggesting our next two signings will be a cb and a midfielder, what about the striker ffs

absolutely sick of che adams I said in the summer we should of got rid of him and got laughed at on here but the guy is terrible no composure whatsoever and is costing us points every game..

I also think this good second striker pony people like to excuse him with is rubbish as well.. think of lambert, or Pellè they could hold the ball up and bring others into play too the difference was they can actually hit the target too. Danny ings carried adams and would have done the same if playing next to Shane long 

this striker situation is getting absolutely retarded now. How can we not have anyone lined up yet ?

if our owners had a car with a flat tire it’s like they would change every other part of the car and leave the tire flat such is this striker situation 😜

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Just been looking through the Argentinan papers https://www.ole.com.ar/futbol-primera/racing-carlosalcaraz-benfica_0_mhUpSpAGmc.html

And they say with Alcazar that Benfica/Wolves and Us are interested and have contacted his agent to understand his conditions etc. Apparently though nothing further has come from Benfica yet (depends on Enzo Fernandes i guess) but Racing are demanding 15m euro's or 13.2m GBP for the player.

Seems doable but the only question i have is if we buy this player is as its the off season down there how fit is he or are we going to have another 6 weeks before he's EPL fit.

This is the modern game.  He doesn't need to be just EPL fit but needs to understand our identity and our philosophy.  If he doesn't play with a smile on his face then he'll need to learn that too.  All these things take time.

• Haha 1