January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Surely you jest - out attack couldnt score in a brothel - if they fell into a bucket of tits they would come out sucking their thumbs, our attackers are atrocious.

DM is passable for the next 20 games.

I totally agree that our attack needed significant improvement, I'm just say that our DM also needs significant reinforcement and that we should have given that as much priority and focus as we have on signing strikers. The two issues aren't mutually exclusive.

Just now, trousers said:

I totally agree that our attack needed significant improvement, I'm just say that our DM also needs significant reinforcement and that we should have given that as much priority and focus as we have on signing strikers. The two issues aren't mutually exclusive.

It's a fair view, and probably why we looked at that Leece fella - but I think, rightly, our priority dollar has gone on the attack which is the bigger issue right now.

The problem with the DM area was created in the summer when we got rid of Romeu.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EBS1980 said:

Just because deal hasn’t been announced doesn’t mean it’s not done. I bet in reality they were completed a few hours ago but it’s just the club not announcing it

I think that's the case, both done as far as I can tell.

Was reading quite a bit of French comments on twitter regarding sulemana.. a lot of comparisons with doku both meant to be frustrating as hell.. Rennes fans seemed to prefer sulemana, tbh couple of times I saw doku he looked breathtaking so I’m kinda excited by the two being compared so much.. expect him to be raw as hell and did read he had a bad attitude and very individual in his play but think he’s gonna be exciting..

onuachu: seems to be able to finish from watching the vids and not just good in the air.read a report about him which suggests he’s also actually pretty damn fast and one of his strengths is his pace, all sounds pretty good on paper but we gotta hope he can make the step up now.. overall though at least we actually got a striker in the door and sulemana is a nice bonus. All our signings this window look pretty good on paper. 

being fussy I still think we could have done with upgrading bazunu he’s not ready and is costing us way to much but overall pretty happy with our business..

https://breakingthelines.com/player-stories/paul-onuachus-rise-to-super-eagle-stardom/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think that's the case, both done as far as I can tell.

Only have to look when the club release videos of the signing. Often it’s light outside so all clearly done earlier in day. These two maybe different as not in country but bet they were done before KO

Sulemana gives us much needed pace in attack. A. Armstrong, Djenepo and Edozie are our fastest attacking players at the moment, but none of them can actually do anything with the ball. They're just direct runners. You'd hope Sulemana could actually get some assists to go alongside his pace. Has to be better than Eluseless who has started most of the season and Aribo who I'm faster than, while Walcott and S. Armstrong are crocked. S. Armstrong, excuse the cliché, would actually feel like a new signing if he regained his fitness.

Then you'd hope Onuachu knows how to finish his dinner, while also providing power and running upfront. If JWP's corners/indirect free kicks fell to him rather than Salisu then we may actually look dangerous from set-pieces. Essentially, Onuachu needs to be our Papiss Cisse/Pavel Pogrebnyak. Two average as hell footballers who had a scoring purple patch after joining the Premier League in January and never repeated similar stats in following seasons. Gabbiadini and Saganowski would be our own versions. So, it's been done before and you would hope Onuachu would be able to prolong the scoring, rather than being a half season thing.

Now, the issue is that a lot of the clubs around us have also strengthened. Bournemouth have spent close to £100m this window, Wolves have spent over £60m, West Ham got a proven scorer in Ings, Leeds have gone over £60m, while Forest have signed a handful more, while trying to flog a few summer signings proving their scatter gun approach.

So, it's going to be a very tough run in, I feel. There's been a severe lack of quality in the first half of the season at the bottom of the table, but the majority have now put the money where their mouth is. We're still in with a very good chance of staying up ourselves as despite being 20th, we are still only 3 points off 14th. That said, if Onuachu and Sulemana do sign then we need both to start on Saturday. We can't afford to waste anymore games with 18 left. We need 6 points from Brentford and Wolves if we're realistic about staying up and persisting with the same faces isn't going to get us those points.

Now, lets all laugh at Everton. Tried to sign both Onuachu and Sulemana. Turns out the dugouts aren't that big a draw, they get no one, hopefully nailed on for 20th and it would be poetic if we stay up while they go down after smashing their glass ceiling.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, trousers said:

is their a position we didn't/don't need to strengthen?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

while Forest have signed a handful more, while trying to flog a few summer signings proving their scatter gun approach.

is ours not a scattergun approach? Potentially 16 players in two windows.

Bazunu, Callabero, Lis

Larios, Bree

ABK, DCC

Lavia, Alvarez, AMN

Osic, Edozie, Aribo, Sulemana

Mara,  Onuachu

Am I the only one that’s sat here watching sky with all the insane money being thrown around thinking that football is pure bullshit and don’t really give a fuck? 

Edit - and Clinton Morrison is really annoying and in the old days I’d probably have gone straight through him for the crack

Edited by Raging Bull
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Raging Bull said:

Am I the only one that’s sat here watching sky with all the insane money being thrown around thinking that football is pure bullshit and don’t really give a fuck? 

I’m not watching sky for the reasons you state 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raging Bull said:

Totally, and here us minions are suffering from the cost of living crisis. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a fair view, and probably why we looked at that Leece fella - but I think, rightly, our priority dollar has gone on the attack which is the bigger issue right now.

The problem with the DM area was created in the summer when we got rid of Romeu.

We didn't get rid of Romeu, he wanted to leave and we let him because he's been a good servant to the club

• Like 7