The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The thing that worries me the most about Jones is that he is a bible thumper who is not averse to bringing his faith up in press conferences. Not against religion but it’s something that doesn’t fit with football (or politics). His lack of top-flight experience and his tanking at Stoke are a worry I would be prepared to put to one side, but all considered I think this could be conceivably be our worst appointment since Branfoot, if not of all time. Very depressed right now. 

What a bizarre thing to worry about. He coukd be a satanist if he is a success on the pitch. Being a Christian shouldn't detract from his job in the slightest. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, DT said:

Is 8th in the Championship really 'a superb job'? What a joke.

Considering they were in L2 when he first took over and last season got them to the Championship playoffs, on probably the smallest budget in the league, yes he has done a superb job at Luton. 

He wouldn't be my choice but let's at least give the bloke a chance rather than slating him before he's walked through the door. I think some people's expectations when talking about the likes of Emery and Frank are too unrealistic and whilst I don't like the narrative from the club that we're just so lucky to be in the PL, we are not a very attractive proposition atm, especially to those already in a good job.

The thing that concerns me most about Jones is the potential style of play but right now just getting results and turning our form around is all that matters.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Luton are my hometown team, second to Saints they're the team I watch the most. JONES IS NOT THE ANSWER! 

Yes, he's worked wonders at Luton but I wouldn't even want him if we were a Championship club. He's just not at the level we require. Lots of passion, shouting and chest thumping but pretty shit football. He was found out when he went to Stoke and I can't see anything other than him being a flop at Saints.

The way he set Luton up in the Derby against Watford two weeks ago was laughable. Final result 4-0. 

This is a suicidal appointment. A massive downgrade on Ralph.

Absolutely livid. 

Their performance in the derby away to Watford was terrible, he's has done well with very limited resources at Kenilworth Road but hasn't worked with a squad like ours previously, not sure he'll command the respect in the dressing room but we'll see 

• Like 2

I too am quite underwhelmed by this news, but thought it might be relevant to share some positives that I can see having done a bit of research on the guy - worth pointing out that I am not assigning value to these points, just think that they are good things: 

- Luton seem to be gutted about losing him. Done a lot with basically no money to get them into the playoffs. 

- Time at Stoke seems to be partially excused by a terrible team of big egos. Stoke haven't improved since he left them and it seems that the problems were more systemic

- I've read in a few places that he is supposedly a very strong man manager. By all accounts this is something Ralph was not. 

- It is clear from his (often amusing) post-match interviews and clips on twitter that he has a lot of passionate energy, something which may be helpful in our current predicament

- When he took over a second time at Luton, he survived a Championship relegation battle, followed by Playoffs the next year

- I have seen comments from Luton fans that he is very much a 'long-term project' kind of guy. Buys into a project and grows with the players at his disposal. This can explain some of his success at Luton. Also nice that we have a WC break (lol) for him to fully immerse in the team. 

- He appears to be an adaptable, pragmatic guy - tactically fitting to the players he has at his disposal. His preferred tactic suits our players too it seems - Che for all his poor finishing holds the ball up well, we have some nice wing-backs in our club with Livra, KWP, Perraud and even AMN

- He had an interesting career as a player, even playing 3rd tier football here in the depths of the Spanish desert, and speaks Spanish. I am sure that will help him get up to speed from Ruben if nothing else. 

- If we go down, then he'd probably be a good appointment in that sense. Think we have got a squad to come back up. 

Yeah, not thrilling, but it's probably worth giving him a chance - Championship is a good level and similar to an Austrian PL (RB Salzburg) or a Norwegian PL (Bodo/Glimt) without the European experience. 

Im not sure, but let's not boo him off on Saturday when we get thumped by Liverpool..

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The thing that worries me the most about Jones is that he is a bible thumper who is not averse to bringing his faith up in press conferences. Not against religion but it’s something that doesn’t fit with football (or politics). His lack of top-flight experience and his tanking at Stoke are a worry I would be prepared to put to one side, but all considered I think this could be conceivably be our worst appointment since Branfoot, if not of all time. Very depressed right now. 

Jesus wept.

• Haha 1

Such a Dell sized mentality.

In all seriousness I know nothing about the guy as don’t follow any lower league stuff anymore.

Seems an odd appointment on the face of it but let’s see what happens.

We are in the shit and without some miraculous turnaround in the goal scoring department it’s hard to see a way out.

• Like 1

I'm hoping this is Semmens doing and the SR are going to pull rank. 

This appointment if indeed it is true worries me immensely. I really thought SR were going to pull a big name out of the hat and make a bit of a splash. I'm clinging to one of the reports that said "Jones was one of the names on the shortlist that we wanted to speak to". The Luton statement is the worrying thing all very nicey nicey, would make me think this is already a done deal.  

Jesus never even heard of Nathan Jones I'm sure he's a decent guy but where did the last decent guy get us.... I'm hoping this is the club feeding the papers a completely different person so they can reveal the real manager without any more leaks.... Here's to wishful thinking! 

12 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Such a Dell sized mentality.

In all seriousness I know nothing about the guy as don’t follow any lower league stuff anymore.

Seems an odd appointment on the face of it but let’s see what happens.

We are in the shit and without some miraculous turnaround in the goal scoring department it’s hard to see a way out.

A sub-Dell sized mentality I think. 

If Jones really is SRs chosen man, then I admire their balls.  They could go "safe" and choose a comfort blanket of manager to appease fans, media etc.  If we consider their transfer philosophy, safe doesn't appear to be their style.

It's a helluva play (if true), let's hope they're right.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

I'm hoping this is Semmens doing and the SR are going to pull rank. 

This appointment if indeed it is true worries me immensely. I really thought SR were going to pull a big name out of the hat and make a bit of a splash. I'm clinging to one of the reports that said "Jones was one of the names on the shortlist that we wanted to speak to". The Luton statement is the worrying thing all very nicey nicey, would make me think this is already a done deal.  

SR are showing a degree of ineptitude that we thought had left the building with Gao, Les and Ross.

We had high hopes with Ankersen's involvement but I'm wondering if he was the show pony who just did the talking whilst others did the work and ran the business at Brentford.

Holy fuck, you leave the board for a few hours with a degree of optimism and the club add a further layer of self-inflicted shite. This bloke is akin to the Sturrock appointment without the charisma or gravitas. We are pinning our slim survival hopes on Luggy-Lite 😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Can’t be any worse than the shit we’ve been playing this season.

Similar appointment to Potter going to Brighton.

Great name as well.  

Hardly. Potter had been successful in European football and had been talked about as an up and coming manager for a couple of seasons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

SR are showing a degree of ineptitude that we thought had left the building with Gao, Les and Ross.

We had high hopes with Ankersen's involvement but I'm wondering if he was the show pony who just did the talking whilst others did the work and ran the business at Brentford.

In what way was the brentford model about appointing high profile managers. Frank was not that.

1 hour ago, waterlooville saint said:

In case you've not noticed, we've been playing the long ball out from the keeper, in the general direction of Che Adams, for a number of the recent games I've seen at St Mary's and the televised game I saw against Bournemouth. Only recent one where we played it out from the back was against Arsenal.

I'm sad to see Ralph go as he's done a great job (for the most part) in trying circumstances, but let's give the new man a chance.

Yes  and all the goalies long kicks were gobbled up by Newcastle and we lost possession for ages. Same with the long throws in how Neanderthal  As for JWP'S slow floaty corners, all they achieved was giving the Newcastle defenders time to watch the ball coming and get into a position too] head clear

This is just so underwhelming and is typical of the club at the moment. Whilst Villa and Wolves bring in highly respected Spanish managers, we look to the smallest team in the Championship for a new manager. Pathetic doesn't even come close in my eyes. SR could have made a real statement of intent by getting in someone the players would respect and the fans get behind. Can only see this ending up with us going down now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Surely this is a smokescreen for a big appointment. Massively underwhelmed is this is true. We should have just kept Ralph. Common Sport Republic, show you mean business. 

It was getting to the point where a lot of people thought it was time for Ralph to move on - now we're suddenly praying he comes back!!!

I guess Wolves were given permission to speak to a few people and in the end actually got a good manager in. In this case though it sounds pretty likely that if he wants it, Jones will become our new manager. As someone else said, feels like a Dell-sized appointment, when a lot of things (bar the monumental cock up of not getting a new striker in) seems to have shown Sports Republic as better than that.

It feels a bit like we're trying to be too clever all the time (sign the best youngest players who will be amazing in a few years time, appoint the manager who's done well on a shoe-string budget etc), but not sure that works in the Premier League... 

I'll give him or whoever my full support and keep my fingers crossed it's a masterstroke and not a disaster.

3 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Holy fuck, you leave the board for a few hours with a degree of optimism and the club add a further layer of self-inflicted shite. This bloke is akin to the Sturrock appointment without the charisma or gravitas. We are pinning our slim survival hopes on Luggy-Lite 😂

They’re not slim, we’re basically guaranteed survival now. Ralph was useless, clueless, even my Gran could do better and he left us only one point off safety. Literally anyone we appoint will definitely be an improvement, so I can’t see any way we go down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

They’re not slim, we’re basically guaranteed survival now. Ralph was useless, clueless, even my Gran could do better and he left us only one point off safety. Literally anyone we appoint will definitely be an improvement, so I can’t see any way we go down.

Now take that tongue out of your cheek.

8 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Can’t be any worse than the shit we’ve been playing this season.

Similar appointment to Potter going to Brighton.

Great name as well.  

Potter had European experience and was a hot prospect. Still a gamble for Brighton but Jones feels like a real risk.

One thing the board haven't considered is that in these days of instant social media, they have to take the fan's with them. Just imagine the scenes after a couple of bad defeats.

What a mess.

Having spent weeks delaying one inevitable decision, why are the board rushing into appointing anyone, let alone this person? If appointed I hope he’s wonderful… but we’ve got one league game (almost certain defeat whatever we do) before Boxing Day. That’s more time than the last prime minister had.

Could they please calm the f down and actually work through some sort of process?? I am really concerned this will be a terrible appointment and don’t understand the rush!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

Potter had European experience and was a hot prospect. Still a gamble for Brighton but Jones feels like a real risk.

One thing the board haven't considered is that in these days of instant social media, they have to take the fan's with them. Just imagine the scenes after a couple of bad defeats.

What a mess.

Jones has European experience.  He played in the Spanish Wessex League, and Luton is in Europe.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Having spent weeks delaying one inevitable decision, why are the board rushing into appointing anyone, let alone this person? If appointed I hope he’s wonderful… but we’ve got one league game (almost certain defeat whatever we do) before Boxing Day. That’s more time than the last prime minister had.

Could they please calm the f down and actually work through some sort of process?? I am really concerned this will be a terrible appointment and don’t understand the rush!

I don’t think it’s a rush.  I think they have been selecting Ralph’s successor for a while now.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

If Pilchards is to be believed from earlier in the thread then Nathan Jones has been one they have wanted for a while, so they may not be rushing into it as much as it seems.