Bournemouth 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

Not a great performance but we battled and defended ok. We are short on confidence and that showed but getting three points was the mission.

Thought Adams and Perraud played well and the defence stood firm with no clear chances for Bournemouth just lots of aimless shots.

The lack of objectivity from those who are only focused on the manager getting sacked is pretty funny. On Saturday Ralph was criticised for not making a change quick enough despite West Ham really dominating. We were in the same position tonight and Ralph made the change that did improve our position in the game but the same people criticising him for making the change that he didn’t make quick enough Saturday. 

Bournemouth are unbeaten in 6 games and have received praise for there recent performances, we just beat them at their place but this win doesn’t count because ‘Ralph out’

Like every Saints fan I have been disappointed with how we have been playing recently, it was always going to take a hardworking, nervy performance for us to finally get the win and we did that tonight. I for one really hope Ralph can turn things round and get his mojo back. He has looked pretty defeated so far this season.

Very happy with three points and hope we can kick on and now have a decent run up to the World Cup.

Edited by wooley7
Stuff
  • Like 28
  • Haha 1

We have just got a decent point v West Ham who are tonight disappointed not to have got something from Anfield. Tonight we got our first clean sheet and an away win against a team that will be in the relegation battle. Confidence will start to build can we not just look at the positives and hope we are slowly moving forward with this very young side. Perspective please.

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

I think a few people on here were a bit unfair digging out AA. First half he was finding some really good pockets of space. Second half he looked destroyed and had nothing left to give. Same with AMN. I thought first half he showed some real knowledge about where to put himself and when to pass the ball but he looks out of shape and again looked beaten in the second half.

Glad Stu came on and showed some composure in the middle of the pitch. 

I was a bit disappointed with Caleta Cars positioning defensively and made some bad decisions but he's still new to the league so fair enough. 

Adams clearly MoM. A great shift.

Awful performance though. Digging in for close to an hour against Bournemouth. Bournemouth!! Disgraceful what we have become.

Couldn’t disagree more at Caletta carr. Thought he was brilliant tonight. 

• Like 7

It looked like a team playing for their manager tonight.

It looked like a team that just wanted to grind out that win, even if it meant tactically to play ugly and defensive.

You could see the reaction when the players came off the pitch and how much it meant to them.

(There are certain muppets on Twitter claiming that the body language is all wrong, anything for some drama eh). 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, southbourne saint said:

We have just got a decent point v West Ham who are tonight disappointed not to have got something from Anfield. Tonight we got our first clean sheet and an away win against a team that will be in the relegation battle. Confidence will start to build can we not just look at the positives and hope we are slowly moving forward with this very young side. Perspective please.

We have two years of wasted opportunities, repeated in-game narratives and false dawns thank you.

That's our perspective. Using these individual moments to prolong a pattern is too reminiscent of Pellegrino.

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

So pleased for Bazunu with his first clean sheet of the season.  He was commanding tonight. Only slight mishap was the one he dropped but Salisu was there to clear :) Stuart and Diallo added composure when they came on too as did Lyanco. Ralph's tactics second half worked perfectly :)

• Like 2

Ralph still has too go, the tactics all wrong, about 70 mins in AA was just stood on his own while play went on around him, we dont need tp play 2 up top, 4231, 451 wouldve controlled midfield better, bournmouth had the most shots theyve had in epl this season, against better opposition we'd been hammered, we couldnt string 2 passes together, looked really disjointed again no cohesion, the club really need a fresh face in charge and Ralph also needs fresh change, were a really hard watch at the moment and if he remains in charge we will go down

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Roger said:

Couldn’t disagree more at Caletta carr. Thought he was brilliant tonight. 

No worries mate. I just thought he made a couple of bad decisions positionally ( lost his man a couple of times, especially the free header at start of the second half) and let the ball drop once or twice with his man right next to him, something a cb should never do. But like I said, he hasn't played much so some rustiness is expected. At least from my point of view :)

4 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

We have two years of wasted opportunities, repeated in-game narratives and false dawns thank you.

That's our perspective. Using these individual moments to prolong a pattern is too reminiscent of Pellegrino.

Edited by maysie
Error

Some random thoughts, now I've been down to ageing parent in my village, checked on them, cheered them up and breathed a few beer fumes over them..

No doubt about MotM in Adams, some superb hold up play and took his goal really well. Some of our play in the first half in our defensive third was just inviting trouble: back, back, back and a little nick forward to JWP who always makes space but is sometimes under a load of pressure. Fortunately we improved as the game went on.

Although we were all worried (hand up the liar who wasn't..) we weren't in too much danger from a frankly poor Bournemouth side, and I really don't understand why they are above us. There was plenty of effort put in but a lack of confidence is still evident. MN and Perraud when they came off looked completely *ucked, which is both a good and a bad sign.

Towards the end we were in control, and although still worried here that was just the standard default for a Saints fan. Let's hope the 3 points gives us a bit of confidence.

• Like 4

Couple of other observations; 

Only eight teams have won more games than we have so far!

Also, might be a little harsh but I thought JWP had one of his worst games for some time, he misplaced a number of simple passes and seemed to lose a lot of his direct duals, two things that I always feel are key parts of his game.

• Like 1

Good battling win, a clean sheet and much needed 3 points. Che was immense and deserved his goal and MOM award. He will find it tougher against defenders of a better calibre than Bournemouth have but tonight he was superb. Stu Armstrong came on and looked like a footballer and must start against Arsenal. Good cameo from Diallo - if he could do that for 90 minutes he'd be playing every game. JWP is floundering and I think a lot of it is because he is surrounded by dross so when he gets the ball he has very limited options - he misses Oriel and/or Lavia plus he'd improve if Stu was in the side. KWP is going backwards literally and, at the risk of the wrath of the Ralph fans I believe he's been told to reign in the marauding runs forward - if so he's a worse player for it. Everything we do is rushed so we constantly give the ball away - a little more composure,some movement off the ball, play between the lines and we'd look much better.

Bournemouth were rubbish and despite us continually giving them the ball they never looked like scoring and we went closer to adding a second. These 2 sides along with Forest currently look the worst in the division and must be the 3 favourites to go down on recent performances.

Still think we'd improve quite considerably with a different manager but it's not going to happen.

Great win tonight but it was a hard watch for both sets of fans.

• Like 4

I still think it's time for Ralph to leave, one result won't change my opinion. But also, how anyone can be upset by winning away and keeping our first clean sheet of the season is beyond me. Crap performance or not, it was enough for the 3 points tonight. Maybe some wanted us to lose to signal the end of Ralph's reign? Enjoy it, as we won't see many more wins this season! Also always nice to get one over those lot on their own turf, in their big derby day. 

• Like 1

Just back from the game. Decent first half. Didn't let bournemouth get any foothold into the game. Second half we let them get on top and then went further into our shell. Moving to five at the back made us worse, but I guess did its job on the end. 

Adams was the stand out player for saints. He bullied their CBs and gave us an out. AA worked hard again, and gave us another decent out ball, but once more offered little threat.

Aribo was poor again. Perraud had a shocker of a second half. He's so poor and so slow even Fredrick's could just run past him.

Thought all the fresh legs helped us and in the end caused Bournemouth to run out of steam.

Happy with the won. on that showing, both teams could go down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawkswood said:

No worries mate. I just thought he made a couple of bad decisions positionally ( lost his man a couple of times, especially the free header at start of the second half) and let the ball drop once or twice with his man right next to him, something a cb should never do. But like I said, he hasn't played much so some rustiness is expected. At least from my point of view :)

I thought he was pretty poor positionally. He's a big strong lad, but I did feel he dominated. Looks very slow. Hope that is rust, but not do sure.

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

So pleased for Bazunu with his first clean sheet of the season.  He was commanding tonight. Only slight mishap was the one he dropped but Salisu was there to clear :) Stuart and Diallo added composure when they came on too as did Lyanco. Ralph's tactics second half worked perfectly :)

Made one great save and a terrific punch when we were on trouble, but the cross that went straight through his hands was woeful. He was extremely lucky to get away with that.All keepers make errors. His are going unpunished. Long may that continue.

Thought. Given the circumstances. It was an excellent away win. No win is easy in this league, especially away from home. You look at our team and there isn’t huge quality there, but the fought and battled and left everything out there tonight. Adams was immense. Shame we have Arsenal next as we hopefully will get a bit of confidence back, especially with Lavia on the way back too.  JWP much better tonight too. 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

Interestingly, Diallo, a player I've long been a critic of, came on near the end and showed everyone how it's done with some really clever ball retention. It made those 5 minutes of added time so much more comfortable. 

He certainly did. Maybe cameos at the end of games, when opponents are knackered, is the best way to use him.

Three points is three points. Wasn't pretty, but over the last few years we've had really shit spells of form mixed with great runs of form. Hopefully tonight is the start of the latter with some confidence getting back into the team.

4 points from West Ham and Bournemouth was key. So far this season we're doing well to be better than three other teams in the league and may it continue.

Adams was very good tonight. Good header and bullied their defence on occasion. Was well up for the fight, which is very much needed in our current situation.

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

I’m happy we got 3 points against the weakest team in the league on paper. but i’m Not happy that our approach was a desperate backs to wall and being relieved that Bournemouth lacked any real cutting edge. Ralph has to go.

What approach did you expect?? Knock it about like we’re unbeaten in 10?

It wasn’t pretty and it was poor at times but you have to really scrap to turn our form around with the confidence levels currently within the team. 3 points bagged is the most important thing. 

• Like 3

Without wanting to come across horrible . Not sure that result is gonna be for the greater good. Bournemouth are a shit team with championship standard players after taking the lead we basically treated them like we were playing city or Liverpool second half..our whole team was defending so deep when we tried to get it out there was no outlet as it’s basically che battling up top on his own which is what made us so terrible to watch..

yes it’s a win and it’s three points but Ralph’s football is horrific and depressing to watch.it’s depressing to see us treat Bournemouth like they are Liverpool they are one of the worst quality sides in the league  and it’s depressing to have to suffer the likes of elyounoussi and the off the ball shit Ralph likes over actually fun creative players like s Armstrong edozie etc.,

I still want him out 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Without wanting to come across horrible . Not sure that result is gonna be for the greater good. Bournemouth are a shit team with championship standard players after taking the lead we basically treated them like we were playing city or Liverpool second half..our whole team was defending so deep when we tried to get it out there was no outlet as it’s basically che battling up top on his own which is what made us so terrible to watch..

yes it’s a win and it’s three points but Ralph’s football is horrific and depressing to watch.it’s depressing to see us treat Bournemouth like they are Liverpool they are one of the worst quality sides in the league  and it’s depressing to have to suffer the likes of elyounoussi and the off the ball shit Ralph likes over actually fun creative players like s Armstrong edozie etc.,

I still want him out 

I feel the same way.   When the final whistle sounded it was a feeling of sheer relief to get over the line after spending most of the second half dropping deeper and deeper while trying to protect the 1-0 lead.   The only reason there wasn't an equaliser or worse came down to Bournmouth not having a Benhrama or a Rice - plus a graft and determination from the likes of Salisu, Caleta-Car, Adams and Perraud.     What happened to the side which reasonably recently continued playing with an eye for a second or third goal?    Yes, the side lacks a clinical striker, and a creative midfielder, and a solid, mobile central midfield, but the difference could be seen when Stuart Armstrong came on with some direct, powerful running and even the cameo from Diallo showed a different way to close out a game apart from retreating with all players behind the ball.     It leaves me thinking this win should not buy Ralph any amount of extra time in charge!

Adams was immense all night - bullet header from the precise, first time Perraud cross and a willingness to run all night to do the hard graft.    Caleta-Car showed why he's a Croatian International - together with Salisu he held the defensive shape with calm and authority; his touch and passing were also impressive.    I thought both wide attackers were disappointing - Elyounoussi and Aribo were bit part contributors, ghosting in and out of the game.   AMN showed improvement and made several incisive passes but the CM duo still looked so static and reluctant to run with the ball or seek out quick movement and passes.     Lavia can't return to the side quick enough!!

• Like 5

Always said would rather look shit and win than look good and lose...but far out that was a tough watch and I only saw the 20mins extended highlights when waking up today - not sure how you lot managed 90!

Another performance that installs no confidence in Ralph. 3 points though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Kraken said:

So assuming KWP is out, what’s our options?

- Flat 4, Perraud RB, Larios LB

- Flat 4, Lyanco RB

- Back 3, Perraud and Larios wing backs

- Back 3, gamble on Elmo or Diallo at RWB

- something else? We don’t have the luxury of shifting JWP from CM.

Why ? he has been bang average all season - I say let the more forwarded minded Diallo take his role and have Lavia sat behind him and JWP covers RB and does his dirty tricks

7 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I still want him out 

Totally agree. It was awful. Horrendous tactics and leadership, awful lack of control or possession, and that is not a unified team who are convinced of the manager’s ability. We manage to take players like Aribo, who looked skilful and powerful in his first gained, and gradually blunt them into slow lethargy by playing them out of position or coaching them badly. The there are players like Edozie, who arrive with promise and exciting zip, and Ralph manages to coach all that silly attacking stuff out of the, and not trust them because they don’t do boring sideways tippy tap. Fed up with it. This three points is of course welcome but is in the bigger picture a terrible thing for us as it keeps a terrible manager in his job for even longer. Happy to be up the table, but it’s just temporary before more sliding towards the bottom with this sham, of a manager (who definitely hasn’t got the team’s backing). Great we have three points but Jesus, guys, look how bad we are!

Edited by DT
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Totally agree. It was awful. Horrendous tactics and leadership, awful lack of control or possession, and that is not a unified team who are convinced of the manager’s ability. We manage to take players like Aribo, who looked skilful and powerful in his first gained, and gradually blunt them into slow lethargy by playing them out of position or coaching them badly. The there are players like Edozie, who arrive with promise and exciting zip, and Ralph manages to coach all that silly attacking stuff out of the, and not trust them because they don’t do boring sideways tippy tap. Fed up with it. This three points is of course welcome but is in the bigger picture a terrible thing for us as it keeps a terrible manager in his job for even longer. Happy to be up the table, but it’s just temporary before more sliding towards the bottom with this sham, of a manager (who definitely hasn’t got the team’s backing). Great we have three points but Jesus, guys, look how bad we are!

What were you expecting last night? A confident, free flowing performance? If our form is to improve it will be gradual with no doubt a few knocks on the way. Last night’s 3 points has bought the team a little time, I doubt we will see any significant changes now before the World Cup. 

• Like 4

A couple of things I took away from the game:

Caleta-Car looks like a slightly less shit Bednarek;

KWP playing very much within himself and unusually very reluctant to get forward - perhaps been carrying a bit of an injury which popped up at the end? Looks like him and Caleta-Car are not best mates!

Whilst I didn’t think either were awful, JWP and AMN did misplace a few passes unnecessarily inviting pressure. AMN has a very casual style but hopefully gets a bit more fit soon as made some good challenges and played a few nice passes;

Bazunu had a very good game;

AA would do very well in the championship but not quite skilful enough to be a game changed in the Prem

Great to see Salisu looking very comfortable again.

Last night was similar to the 90s when we were always battling against relegation.

Currently we are not a good team playing good football just like those old days. it’s disappointing.

Winning was more relief than joy in those days, same as now. And we held on against a relegation rival who failed to break down our ultra defensive set-up. 

Is that good enough? Personally, I don’t think so but that doesn’t make me a fan who wants us to lose. It’s okay to think your team is shit but still be a fan. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sfcphilc said:

I still think it's time for Ralph to leave, one result won't change my opinion. But also, how anyone can be upset by winning away and keeping our first clean sheet of the season is beyond me. Crap performance or not, it was enough for the 3 points tonight. Maybe some wanted us to lose to signal the end of Ralph's reign? Enjoy it, as we won't see many more wins this season! Also always nice to get one over those lot on their own turf, in their big derby day. 

Agreed happy for the win and we did look like we were more up for the battle & Ralph finally changed things up when we were getting battered in the final 15, that said this isn't going to lead to a sudden turn around in form... We will get a reality check Sunday and the games after... But for now good win! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Thought. Given the circumstances. It was an excellent away win. No win is easy in this league, especially away from home. You look at our team and there isn’t huge quality there, but the fought and battled and left everything out there tonight. Adams was immense. Shame we have Arsenal next as we hopefully will get a bit of confidence back, especially with Lavia on the way back too.  JWP much better tonight too. 

Agree I enjoyed it, thought away end was decent , Bournemouth fans have somehow managed to get even quieter since our last visit and it's supposed to be a big game for them. 

At least we're keeping up with a point a game which gives us a chance of survival 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, disconnect said:

KWP playing very much within himself and unusually very reluctant to get forward - perhaps been carrying a bit of an injury which popped up at the end? Looks like him and Caleta-Car are not best mates!

Whilst I didn’t think either were awful, JWP and AMN did misplace a few passes unnecessarily inviting pressure. AMN has a very casual style but hopefully gets a bit more fit soon as made some good challenges and played a few nice passes;

AA would do very well in the championship but not quite skilful enough to be a game changed in the Prem

Agree with your views, although I quite liked the look of Caleta-Car. Strong, physical, got himself in good positions etc.

He had a few odd moments with bouncing balls, but both our CB's were on equal footing of decentness last night I felt.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Adam brown nose Blackmore is so far up the boards arse he occasionally sneaks out impressions of semmens Steele n Ralph in live commentary!

Ridiculous. Adam is a great commentator and we're lucky to have him. Again, he has made more criticisms of Ralph than anyone. In fact, he was doing it 'before it was cool'

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, wooley7 said:

Not a great performance but we battled and defended ok. We are short on confidence and that showed but getting three points was the mission.

Thought Adams and Perraud played well and the defence stood firm with no clear chances for Bournemouth just lots of aimless shots.

The lack of objectivity from those who are only focused on the manager getting sacked is pretty funny. On Saturday Ralph was criticised for not making a change quick enough despite West Ham really dominating. We were in the same position tonight and Ralph made the change that did improve our position in the game but the same people criticising him for making the change that he didn’t make quick enough Saturday. 

Bournemouth are unbeaten in 6 games and have received praise for there recent performances, we just beat them at their place but this win doesn’t count because ‘Ralph out’

Like every Saints fan I have been disappointed with how we have been playing recently, it was always going to take a hardworking, nervy performance for us to finally get the win and we did that tonight. I for one really hope Ralph can turn things round and get his mojo back. He has looked pretty defeated so far this season.

Very happy with three points and hope we can kick on and now have a decent run up to the World Cup.

Couldn't agree more really. I didn't think we were poor against West Ham or Everton.....better finishing, different results both times

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This used to be a place to avoid when we lost. Now it’s becoming a place to avoid when we win! The perceived wisdom is that we needed at least 4 points from the last 2 games. We have got those yet still some whinge. As someone said we have played better and lost this season but I will take a few ugly wins at the moment if that means it gets us back on track. Che was MotM by a country mile but I thought AA played well last night too. Both worked their socks off. Arma got in behind them several times but we couldn’t find the pass. The subs were well timed and did what was needed to see out the game. AMN still looks off the pace to me and gave the ball away cheaply in dangerous positions a few times. Perhaps a run at RB if KWP is out for a while will help him? 4 tough games coming up and the injuries are mounting so a win and a clean sheet, no matter if it was ugly, was crucial. JWP looks like he needs a rest but he needs to find something extra in the tank to help get us into the WC break in a reasonable position. 4 points from 2 in form teams when we are in a run of poor form is not something to complain about FFS. If Ralph had been sacked and we had got these 4 points under a new manager I expect everyone would be singing his praises and talking about a new dawn!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, disconnect said:

I thought KWP picked up a bit of a knock in the West Ham game and this may have resurfaced last night.
Hope it is only cramp but unlikely I think