Southampton 1-1 Arsenal - Match Thread

Saint Matty 76

3 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

That was nearly it, Edozie cross, Moi header...Walcott......didn't quite make it...

great move that. Edozie gives us a threat and control of the ball and others can make runs off him. More of that needed. 

• Like 4

Huge result, particularly after the poor performance in the first half.

What changed in the second half? Was it tactical, or players just putting in more effort?

I thought Edozie was excellent when he came on, if he learns to release the ball a little earlier he is going to be excellent.

• Like 4

Well sometimes you gotta put your hand up and say you got it wrong.  Great battling second half performance by all of them there - no sign the dressing room has been lost.  Lyanco my MoM - beastly performance.  Totally unexpected point - well done all.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Lyanco had an elbow in the first half, then a head butt attempt there. EIther of those could be very costly for us, and the manager will have to have a word.

No it's ok because he didn't make contact apparently. 😂 He had a cracking game today, but he needs to be careful.

A well deserved point, maybe even deserved to nick it in the end 

Lynaco my MotM. As someone mentioned earlier, I could see him being an asset as a defensive midfielder when ABK returns. We need someone with his commitment levels on the pitch more often for sure. 

Are we entering another one of Ralph's 'false dawn' mini purple patches or are we turning a corner...? 

• Like 6

First 20 minutes aside, very good solid performance. 

Even if we’d lost that I’d have been happy. Battled and defended extremely well. 

Had Che been fit to start it maybe would have been a different game as AA offered very little. 

Back 5 all outstanding. 

• Like 1

Same battling qualities but a bit more quality in possession than in particular Bournemouth display

Really nice to see us score a good goal. Carved them apart. S. Armstrong has to start for his intelligent movement.

Elyounessi had one of his good games. Good defensively and played his part in the goal.

Lyanco is one of my favourite players. Adds a nastier mentality, though hopefully we can convince him to avoid the headswipes.

That was an awful dive by Walcott.

Happy with ref as it would have been easy for him to give them one of the extremely soft penalty appeals, given they are top of the league.

• Like 3

Much improved second half when we finally decided not to just stand back and admire their pretty football. We got tackles in early and broke in numbers and were probably better than them after the break. Great move for the goal and well finished by Stu. Elyounoussi was brilliant in the second half and had a huge hand in the goal. Brilliant point and great effort from the team.

• Like 1

A very nice second half that. Like most, team news looked ominous and Arsenal's start looked like a 9-0, but fair play to the team, they actually battled, properly and pulled that off.  That's all I think most of us want, a proper battling performance.  

Lavia, Bella-Kotchap, Livramento, Walker-Peters all out - some decent young players to come back in, but big shout to Lyanco. 

• Like 2

Anyone else hiding in the stadium until the storm goes? No way am I going outside in that! Even the tannoy music is all rain related.

From 30 minutes in we played very well. Every player did their bit, some very good performances from some of the more fringe players like Lyanco and Diallo. Perraud was excellent as was Stuart Armstrong and Caleta Car. 

Brilliant goal from us, really enjoyed that move. 

Interesting to see how often the formation switched, we were quite fluid with that throughout.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, niceandfriendly said:

Good good good point Saints! Brilliant effort.

Moi turned up when needed, fair play to him. Lyanco superb. Perraud put a shift in. Edozie came on and helped us keep the ball. Well done to Ralph today too.

Much better 2nd half than first.

You've said it all - heads can be raised high after that effort starting at the 61st minute with Peraud's pass, Airibo's dummy, Elyounoussi's exquisite pass and Stu's cool finish.    The whole side lifted thereafter with belief, fight and run.   Lyanco, Caleta-Car and Salisu were great all day, particularly Lyanco.    Perraud showed again he's a worth his place at LB - Bazunu is a rapidly improving goal keeper and Edozie showed in his cameo that he must be given more minutes.    The midfield of JWP and Diallo lifted their game for the last 30 minutes and I'm happy to eat some humble pie with Elyounoussi putting in a shift late to complement his classy assist.     

• Like 3

1 minute ago, austsaint said:

You've said it all - heads can be raised high after that effort starting at the 61st minute with Peraud's pass, Airibo's dummy, Elyounoussi's exquisite pass and Stu's cool finish.    The whole side lifted thereafter with belief, fight and run.   Lyanco, Caleta-Car and Salisu were great all day, particularly Lyanco.    Perraud showed again he's a worth his place at LB - Bazunu is a rapidly improving goal keeper and Edozie showed in his cameo that he must be given more minutes.    The midfield of JWP and Diallo lifted their game for the last 30 minutes and I'm happy to eat some humble pie with Elyounoussi putting in a shift late to complement his classy assist.     

Actually I hadn't said it all because you added more valid points. :)

P1ssing myself reading some of the absolute sh1te from our regular negative anti-Ralph / Saints kn0bjockey posters - not supporters. Especially the first half comments 🤣

Maybe some might stop embarrassing themselves for a bit, and perhaps even go watch a game. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, doc oli said:

Think if we’d brought Mara on instead of Theo we might’ve won that 

Don't know, because I saw both Edozie and Walcott make runs in behind the Arsenal backline in the final minutes. Unfortunately, Ward-Prowse had the ball and we all know about his reluctance to pass forward. I'm sure he was disorientated when he made that delightful little back heel and thought he was knocking it back to Salisu.

Great result but Arsenal really took their foot off the pedal and couldn't get back into gear,

• Like 1

Ralph will be looking at that as a good day.

After the first tactic failed, we switched it (arguaby would we have conceded if we'd played that from the start). We closed the space and contained them (with which there's always some risk, but they didn't take their chances). We grew into the game a bit. We worked a bit more to shut down their centre. Not anything scintillating. But we mixed it up, turning on a press on a couple of occassions, doubling up on others.

Someone mentioned guts. Lyanco and Perraud showed that throughout. On the front foot, physical (where Arsenal mewled and the ref was happy with us doing it) and giving the team some purpose and drive. Edozie runs himself into trouble, losign the ball too often (but other players lost it doing far less), but was fearless in pushing Arsenal back when it mattered.

Ralph will be pleased that his subs did a job. It's part of how he's trying to shape each game. Theo is well off his best, but seeing him take up a striker's position late on, is something Saints need to have availalble.Mo will have won back some critics. He put in a shift. Tracking back well (which Ralph highlighted as why he's there), while still involved in some link up at the other end. With so many missing, as well as the issues we discuss elsewhere, it's a good point to have agianst the leaders.

• Like 2

I heard stories that Walcott has been sensational in training the past couple weeks. It's just possible the manager has more information for this decisions than we do.... But I agree about the dive.  

A fantastic, battling second half performance.  The weird downside of the injuries is that we discover we actually have a lot of quality in depth in the squad. Edozie! Lyanco! To me, the only truly weak link in that side was Diallo. With Maitland-Niles back next week and Lavia close, it's could get really promising!

Fair play, the boys found some fight in the second half and deservedly got something out of that.

Elyounoussi's game saving tacking (after all three centre backs inexplicably vacated their posts) seemed to invigorate him into a golden five minutes where he started going forward with purpose and created the equaliser. 

Rode our luck disciplinary-wise. DCC should've conceded a penalty with his grappling act - and it would have been a red - and Lyanco retaliated not once but twice (an elbow on Jesus and the late attempted headbutt). Can't fault his effort and dedication, but he's an accident waiting to happen. 

Thought Salisu had a solid game, more in keeping with his good form in the first half of last season. 

And Perraud was great getting up and down and putting in crosses. I do worry about his fitness, though. When he came off in midweek after about 75 minutes he looked like he'd been rescued from a POW camp. And again today he was absolutely fucked by 80 minutes. I know he missed pre season with his broken leg so his conditioning might be a bit behind, but wonder if he's struggling with the after effects of covid or something. 

Edozie promising off the bench. Walcott useless. 

Anyway, a very creditable point against the odds. And they managed to get off the pitch before the lightning came. 

Well played.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Suhari said:

*Cough*

Player of the pitch or something similar (I believe).

Let's not assume his gender.

Indeed. The commentator, rightly, said he was a man of the match but the on-screen graphic, sensitive to the fact that he might conceivably be a non-binary person, noted that he was ‘player of the match’.