Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

A good friend of mine goes to every Reading game, they offer £20 away tickets to any team who agree to reciprocal arrangement, would be great if Saints did something similar (is there still Saints voice to raise with club?)

Unfortunately, given we'd be one of the biggest teams in that division and take a reasonably large amount of fans away, clubs will likely see it as an excuse to charge £40+ for us

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I know people say (probably correctly) the fans should not be let anywhere near the decision making process at a club but this is one occasion where the fan base, almost to a man and women, saw the writing on the wall a long time before the Board. In fact some from Day One knew the appointment to be reckless and stupid. Sports Republic have let the fans of this football club down, big time, and need to cut out the arrogance and smugness that makes them think they always know best. They - and they alone - should shoulder the total responsibility of relegation as it is or very much on their watch.

Agree.  I await a full blown public apology to the fans from Ankersen and the rest because they have presided over an absolute disaster for this great football club. Now be man enough to own it and make a humble apology. Needless to say I won't hold ny breath.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm slightly confused by Selles if I'm honest, by all accounts he was incredibly sought after when we brought him in. He did great things at FC Kobenhaven and is spoken about highly over there.

But you can't hide away from the fact that he has been a core coaching component of our worst ever PL season, so I'm pretty torn. Selles was a club appointment (probably Rasmus again) rather than Ralph/Jones, so it makes sense he stays on as an interim. It's also hard to judge the impact a 'coach' has, on both positive and negative angles. They will have to follow the orders of the 'manager', so they wouldn't be able to do things on their own autonomy even if they wanted to.

Future wise though I don't know - I think we need to give a new manager the remit to mould his own staff, if he wants to get rid of any of the existing (Sparkes/Selles/Martin) then let them do that. I don't think we have the evidence to make him a 'must have' for any new manager, should they want to change it.

Look at his CV, look at how bad we’ve been since we’ve been here. 

The fact the players like him is an automatic red flag, probably been nice and friendly to the shower of shit in our squad. 

It would at least tick off the Steve Wigley stage of this relegation. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Appy said:

Look at his CV, look at how bad we’ve been since we’ve been here. 

The fact the players like him is an automatic red flag, probably been nice and friendly to the shower of shit in our squad. 

It would at least tick off the Steve Wigley stage of this relegation. 

Wasn't there talk of Selles laying into the players after Ralph was sacked? 

Sheer incompetence by SR to give him so much time and allow him to virtually relegate us. 

We may not be that far adrift but looking at the other sides around us there just isn’t enough dross for us to overtake. Bournemouth will go. Leeds have at times looked excellent and played brilliantly against Utd, may have enough. Dyche surely won’t take Everton down, West Ham have so much quality in their team. Who else is there? 

Rasmus you tit. 

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

Think we need someone who is prepared to use a pyrrhic relegation battle to get to know and develop the squad ahead of a genuine promotion push next season (assuming we don't stay up) - they have to have relegation built into their contract.

Who? Well assuming we won't pay compensation to anyone, and assuming the likes of Poch, AVB etc. are completely for the birds, there's a few good names available:

• Gerardo Seoane
  • Gollardo (assuming he doesn't go to Leeds)
  • Jess Thorup (my personal shout)
  • Bruno Lage
  • maybe even Marsch?

We have a good team, Man City in the cup and the first half yesterday showed that, we just need someone who can use the assets we have much more effectively, consistency and sensibly then Jones did.

How did Marsch's last managerial job go? Wasn't he sacked for putting Leeds in relegation trouble? Yeah, he'd be an ideal option but only in Ankersen's strange mind.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Why separate out Selles over Martin, Sparks or Gross.?

He's a club employee who was not part of Jones' posse, who arguably got sidelined when Jones came in.

Because the inept owners need someone to run the ship until they make another appointment - I dread to think who these charlatans will come up with.

• Haha 1

Sport Republic need to get this right. They can’t afford to screw this one up now. I’d say for Rasmus more than others - the pressure is on.

Let’s be honest. 

If they get this next appointment right then I think we’ll stay up. 
In the end we’re four points off safety and we do have a decent squad, yes there are off players in that group that shouldn’t be in that first team, but if we can all see it then I’m confident a top manager will see it. 

It’ll all come down to who we bring in.

But either way I think SR will have to pay out this time to bring that higher calibre manager in, we can’t be doing this on the cheap anymore.

Let’s not prepare for the Championship just yet.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Decent article which less passionately describes the thoughts of every single saints fan over the whole thing.

Honestly what the fuck were they thinking. I thought he’d be gone by March, but even I didn’t think it would be THIS bad.

How we’re not completely cut adrift already is a miracle.

• Like 3

Good thing about selles is he thinks bednerak is fucking shit, he was the one telling ralph to take him of when bednerak then had his hissy fit and then was frozen out and sent out on loan.

I will gurantee next week bednerak will not start and i'd be surprised if he is in the squad.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I know dyches not popular with everyone but we really should have acted when we had the chance, Everton won't go down we will 

Some of us who suggested this at the start of the season received the usual bollocks about his so called style of play. Not looking like Everton's fans are too bothered

• Like 3

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Good thing about selles is he thinks bednerak is fucking shit, he was the one telling ralph to take him of when bednerak then had his hissy fit and then was frozen out and sent out on loan.

I will gurantee next week bednerak will not start and i'd be surprised if he is in the squad.

That own goal just about sums up our season. Majestic.

7 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I know dyches not popular with everyone but we really should have acted when we had the chance, Everton won't go down we will 

Why would Dyche have come here, even back in Nov? 

With Everton, West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, Villa, Leeds struggling, he was always going to get back in. We’re probably the least attractive of the lot, apart from Boscombe. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Sport Republic need to get this right. They can’t afford to screw this one up now. I’d say for Rasmus more than others - the pressure is on.

Let’s be honest. 

If they get this next appointment right then I think we’ll stay up. 
In the end we’re four points off safety and we do have a decent squad, yes there are off players in that group that shouldn’t be in that first team, but if we can all see it then I’m confident a top manager will see it. 

It’ll all come down to who we bring in.

But either way I think SR will have to pay out this time to bring that higher calibre manager in, we can’t be doing this on the cheap anymore.

Let’s not prepare for the Championship just yet.

We're relegated. Pretending someone can come in and save us is deluded.

Get used to it. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Big, big decision on the next manager. And where is the 'next manager' thread?

I think Benitez would be good. Experience and authority; would bring us back up if we go down.

Give him the gig then move him to DoF once we're stabilised again.

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why would Dyche have come here, even back in Nov? 

With Everton, West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, Villa, Leeds struggling, he was always going to get back in. We’re probably the least attractive of the lot, apart from Boscombe. 

Why wouldn't he?

The last Everton managers before Lampard had won major leagues and European trophies. He wouldn't have thought that was viable back then.

We're now pretending Sean Dyche is some mega elite manager we can only dream of now? Jesus wept.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Big, big decision on the next manager. And where is the 'next manager' thread?

I think Benitez would be good. Experience and authority; would bring us back up if we go down.

Give him the gig then move him to DoF once we're stabilised again.

Think he was on the verge of getting West Ham so probably still close to them than us

Just now, BARCELONASAINT said:

I honestly think we are relegated no matter who we appoint as manager. You just cannot turn around the abysmal slump we have been in for over a year in a sudden spectacular short period of time, i'm sorry it just won't happen.

Agree, turd polishing experts are few and far between.

47 minutes ago, Mr X said:

For me Dyche was a no brainer at the time. Never had much of a budget at Burnley and yet kept them up for quite a while punching above their weight with a bloody organised defence. Yes his football isn't attractive but he'd have sorted our shoddy defence out and we have the attacking players to nick a goal or two against the run of play. Not pretty but he would have done. Too late now. 

• Like 3

Am I the only one who feels slightly sorry for Nathan Jones? He was given the job and clearly he wasn't up to it,I've no doubt a few ego's made it difficult,under immense pressure from day one,I really don't think any of the last 6 months results would have been different under anyone else,yes the owners have spent money,money on younger talent not proven in the premier league,no leaders on the pitch,no leaders off it, relegation is inevitable,it always was under the circumstances.So anyone who thinks throwing millions at a 'Star' name manager will keep this squad up is deluded.The reality is the squad isn't good enough at this level and I suspect a few players are keeping themselves injury free for the summer when they move on.Sport republic are a business who are basically winging it with Southampton FC and it's not working.They now need a manager who will be with us for the championship next season,a manager who actually gives the team a kick up the arse when they need it,a manager who won't entertain ego's.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Big M said:

Am I the only one who feels slightly sorry for Nathan Jones? He was given the job and clearly he wasn't up to it,I've no doubt a few ego's made it difficult,under immense pressure from day one,I really don't think any of the last 6 months results would have been different under anyone else,yes the owners have spent money,money on younger talent not proven in the premier league,no leaders on the pitch,no leaders off it, relegation is inevitable,it always was under the circumstances.So anyone who thinks throwing millions at a 'Star' name manager will keep this squad up is deluded.The reality is the squad isn't good enough at this level and I suspect a few players are keeping themselves injury free for the summer when they move on.Sport republic are a business who are basically winging it with Southampton FC and it's not working.They now need a manager who will be with us for the championship next season,a manager who actually gives the team a kick up the arse when they need it,a manager who won't entertain ego's.

You think every single other managerial option available to us in November could not have done better than one win in eight league games?

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones